Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

ThinkTank posted:

I don't think it's possible to put a time cap on anything. What's the point of a review if it's not to make sure something was correct in the first place. If it's "correct so long as you're certain within 30 seconds" then it's not really a review, it's more a confirmation. It's the same with putting an arbitrary time limit on how long before a goal is scored can something be reviewed. What's to say a missed offside 40 seconds before the goal didn't fundamentally change the outcome of the attacking play?

Rather than trying to limit when they can take place or how long they have to be resolved, I think the best course of action is to discourage teams from making a hail mary shot at overturning a goal by making the punishment for being wrong actually meaningful.

I am in favour of scrapping goalie interference as reviewable though. It's a judgement call at the best of times, don't make it more complicated than it already is.

"Inconclusive" is already a possible outcome, adding a time limit just broadens the pool of situations that will be inconclusive. And I think that's fine, 95% of the game is played by one standard: what the officials can see in real time. Whether a goal actually goes in or not seems like a reasonable place to have a different standard, but getting down to whether a player was 3ms offside or whatever, which a linesman staring at him in realtime could not determine, and the player themself could probably not perceive or do anything about seems like bizarre unnecessary nitpicking. And, unlike a goal review, it is a question of whether active play should have been stopped, and what happens after, so you make offsides calls more impactful in ways that cannot be reviewed. For example, in game one if Forsberg had carried the puck across the line exactly the same, but then turned it over and the pens had scored on a rush, it would have been just as much of a missed call by the linesman, and just as important to the outcome of the game, but unreviewable.

I mean, I also think discouraging them would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Just get rid of offside reviews. Who cares if that one time a dude was like 10 feet offside and they missed it? It doesn't outweigh the bullshit of offside reviews slowing down the game and creating instances where a goal scored 30 seconds after the puck enters the zone is called back.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Just get rid of offside reviews. Who cares if that one time a dude was like 10 feet offside and they missed it? It doesn't outweigh the bullshit of offside reviews slowing down the game and creating instances where a goal scored 30 seconds after the puck enters the zone is called back.

Oh yeah, the best outcome is to do away with the coach's challenge entirely but the league seems unwilling to do so despite it being wildly unpopular with fans. Matt Duchene being offside by a country mile one time does not warrant all this faffing around with iPads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mind_Taker posted:

Because we're still listening to people cry about hull's skate. As soon as it effects the results of a championship the entire sports world is gonna blow up.

You gotta at least try to clean that stuff up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ThinkTank posted:

In that particular instance sure, but what about this?

Is this guy onside or offside? In the currently definition of the rule he's objectively offside no question. Sure overhead cameras would give a better view, but you're relying on cameras 75ft or well off to the side to determine the exact location of a tiny part of a player's skate (maybe only a couple centimetres in size) in 3D space. They have trouble locating the exact position of a puck and it's a consistent size and shape and the goal line is six feet wide compared to 85 ft for the blueline. It's a hell of a lot less clear cut than people seem to make it out to be.

From that angle? Can't tell ya, but from a camera mounted on the blue line, I'd be able to give you a better assessment.

Maybe the NHL should mount them there :thunk:

xzzy posted:

If the nhl spent more than fifteen bucks on their blue line cameras, it would be pretty easy to determine offsides.

But nah, a 0.5 megapixel sensor recording at 3 fps is all we got budget for. Sorry guys!

Also this.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Because we're still listening to people cry about hull's skate. As soon as it effects the results of a championship the entire sports world is gonna blow up.

You gotta at least try to clean that stuff up.

Funnily enough the Hull thing was the league half assedily implementing a rule to make up for the uncertainty around goaltender interference, just like they're doing here with reviews. If they'd left well enough alone no one would really remember the Stars first cup. I think the chances of a Stanley Cup winner being affected by an obviously blown offside call are far lower than the likelihood of it happening due to the idiocy around a situation like Forsberg's skate.

iospace posted:

Maybe the NHL should mount them there :thunk:

To do his job correctly, the linesman has to stand on the blueline and would be in front of the camera most of the time. The NHL has them already, but they're generally not a very useful view for that reason.

I found the NHL PR tweet that showed the result of the above offside call. The quality could be a hell of a lot better, that I don't disagree on. I just think they're not likely to solve anywhere near as many issues as people seem to expect.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 7, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Oh yeah, the best outcome is to do away with the coach's challenge entirely but the league seems unwilling to do so despite it being wildly unpopular with fans. Matt Duchene being offside by a country mile one time does not warrant all this faffing around with iPads.

Also both Nashville and Colorado were last in their divisions that year. Though had Nashville won that game and everything else stayed the same, they would have finished ahead of Carolina and probably not been able to draft Seth Jones. Really makes you think.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I think i'd trade any attempt at fixing the offsides challenge for being able to challenge penalties. Everyone in the NHL repeats the mantra of "well we gotta get it right" and then it seems like every other game there's a slow motion shot of a guy whiffing on a high stick and getting called for it anyways.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

hifi posted:

I think i'd trade any attempt at fixing the offsides challenge for being able to challenge penalties. Everyone in the NHL repeats the mantra of "well we gotta get it right" and then it seems like every other game there's a slow motion shot of a guy whiffing on a high stick and getting called for it anyways.

That would probably make the crowd way more mad, more often.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The flyers have hired Erie Otters head coach Kris Knoblauch as an assistant

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ThinkTank posted:

Maybe, but it's still very, very had to determine and the number of times there's a question as to whether the puck is over the line and off the ice pales in comparison to the number of times an attacker will go offside with his foot in the air. I general I hate subjectivity in reviews, and this is just adding an element to them that we don't need that's just going to further slow things down. The Forsberg offside was stupid, but at least the rule is black and white as to what counts or not. Adding a huge floating grey area doesn't help anything in terms of eliminating these infuriating delays from reviews.

:agreed: If you're going to have the rule, have the rule be on some incontrovertible condition that can't be argued. The puck either completely crossed the plane of the goal line or it did not, and if you can't conclusively see the official was wrong then the call stands. That works for goals, why can't offsides that lead to goals be subjected to a similar standard? "A player who is not both in possession and in control of the puck is offside if, while the puck is not in the attacking zone, any part of both feet completely crosses the blue line", something like that, maybe a little extra for a guy who's sliding on his rear end and interferes with the play while he would be offside, or had his prosthetic foot fall off in the neutral zone or whatever I dunno, rulebooks are weird and it's expected that players and coaches are going to find ways to pervert them to do weird things to gameplay.

ThinkTank posted:

:agreed::agreed:

e: also lol that we're spending so much time discussing the subjectivity/objectivity of offsides when refs just up and take entire periods off.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 7, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

To do his job correctly, the linesman has to stand on the blueline and would be in front of the camera most of the time. The NHL has them already, but they're generally not a very useful view for that reason.

I found the NHL PR tweet that showed the result of the above offside call. The quality could be a hell of a lot better, that I don't disagree on. I just think they're not likely to solve anywhere near as many issues as people seem to expect.

There's only one linesman and he can only stand along one side of the rink. So you get ~6 bullet cams, drill three holes in the boards on both sides of the rink, and mount three on each side. Gives pretty good chances that at least one of them will be unobstructed at the correct point in time.

Hire me, NHL.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hawks signed Czech D Jan Rutta :toot:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeeeeehaw, I'm pedant

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

All reviews in favor of the Bruins, while Pittsburgh, Montreal, and Columbus never win one?

You're thinking too small.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just take out the blue lines. No offsides, no offside reviews. Easy peasy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DJExile posted:

Competition committee has proposed two rule changes that will do precisely squat. No time-out calls allowed after icing, and

so basically now get ready for every goalie to have an equipment issue when their team ices the puck.

What the gently caress, why is this even a thing?

No line change is already punitive in that you have to waste your timeout which could land you in trouble later. Why do we need more than that? What is wrong with this game that they are constantly trying to fix it?

Next dumb step: Duhh let's make icing a penalty and see how that affects the game

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
More goals man.

More goals.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

hell yeah

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Martytoof posted:

What the gently caress, why is this even a thing?

No line change is already punitive in that you have to waste your timeout which could land you in trouble later. Why do we need more than that? What is wrong with this game that they are constantly trying to fix it?

Next dumb step: Duhh let's make icing a penalty and see how that affects the game

I would actually be cool with calling a delay of game penalty if a team ices, say, 3 times in a minute.

Oh, it wasn't on purpose? Then you get 2 minutes for being terrible at hockey.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Isn't too much man a penalty for being terrible at hockey already?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just take out the blue lines. No offsides, no offside reviews. Easy peasy.

This, but unironically.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i like my idea of deflections in the offensive neutral zone being icing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wanna increase scoring RE: icing?

Call icing when teams are on the PK. :q:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, move to soccer offsides rules. Really stretch that ice out!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Nah, move to soccer offsides rules. Really stretch that ice out!

Oh man i'd love this. There's no way to practically do it in hockey but i'd looovvve it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DJExile posted:

This, but unironically. :buddy:

I think one minute PPs with no icing would be a very interesting thing to see

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks have hired Newell Brown (former assistant coach) and Nolan Baumgartner (former player) as bench assistant coaches. They have also hired Doug Jarvis (former assistant coach) and Manny Malhotra (former player) to be non-bench assistant coaches. Dan Cloutier (former player) is the goalie coach.

Why is Jim Benning is desperate to emulate the 2009 Edmonton Oilers nepotism?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i liked newell brown when we hired him but this past year we'd have drop passes in our own zone on the pp and it was just awful to watch

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

:toot:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

hifi posted:

i liked newell brown when we hired him but this past year we'd have drop passes in our own zone on the pp and it was just awful to watch

The highlights from his time as a Canucks coach were 1) he invented the PP drop pass that worked pretty well at first when the team was loaded with talent but fell off pretty quickly the moment teams figured out it was going to happen yet the Sedins and Edler still insist on doing it 7 years later and 2) he was not Ryan Walter.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Manny Malhotra owns so I'm gonna be really sad when I hate him two years from now.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

This, but unironically. :buddy:

I think one minute PPs with no icing would be a very interesting thing to see
No icing wouldn't be anywhere near meaningful enough to justify halving powerplay time

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

DJExile posted:

Mount the rink on a contraption that tilts the ice in favor of the team on the PP.

Also, multipuck.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks have hired Newell Brown (former assistant coach) and Nolan Baumgartner (former player) as bench assistant coaches. They have also hired Doug Jarvis (former assistant coach) and Manny Malhotra (former player) to be non-bench assistant coaches. Dan Cloutier (former player) is the goalie coach.

Why is Jim Benning is desperate to emulate the 2009 Edmonton Oilers nepotism?

So they can finally get the first overall in 2025

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CTVchrisepp/status/872523937938264064

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Isn't it pretty easy to concuss yourself with a bad dive?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Isn't it pretty easy to concuss yourself with a bad dive?

Just ask Greg Louganis!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Darthvechkin always force chokes in the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Let's see, you can either acknowledge the impact that concussions have on player health while still maintaining that it has to be an assumed risk players accept and take and hopefully you can minimise them through rules, enforcement, and better equipment or...

Yeah.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 7, 2017

• Locked thread