Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Meanwhile, I had a pair of epic(?) gloves drop for me on some random mob that gives me +12 to all archery attacks for only +1 cost in power.

I don't think I'll be replacing these gloves for quite some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think the color only decides the amount of mods, that particular mod can spawn on gloves and the main hand weapon and scales up to +44 for +4 cost. It's real good. Fletching is annoying to level though.

Wiki: http://wiki.projectgorgon.com/wiki/Archery/Treasure_Effects:By_Slot

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I would describe some of the crafting in this game as minecraft-mod-like, and fletching kinda falls into that.

First you need to unlock carpentry, which you kill a bear to do, which is not soloable if you're brand new. Then you can start fletching, which of course requires quite a bit of wood, which is slow and sometimes annoying to get, because instead of log spawns you get apple or grape tree spawns, which only give up their wood maybe half the time. The beginner arrows aren't terrible and you can make back some of your money, even the reservoir arrows which need beakers will sell back at the same price as the cost of the beakers. Then you get to basic arrows and oh what's this? copper ore? ok I don't have surveying or mining so let's check the player vendors aaaaaaand nothing.

Ok, so now you have to survey for yourself. Unlocking it is easy, making survey maps is easy, but running to the survey spot and back takes time. Then you skill up enough and you think you're ready to start mining, so you check the npc and welp I'm short on favor. Small talk reveals she likes silver ore, gold ore, and good metal slabs.

That's right, you need to already be at a decent mining skill to rep the surveyer. DOES NOT COMPUTE

Ok technically you can get around that by giving her magic bows, but am I really going to spend thousands on bows just so I can get copper ore myself? (the answer is yes because I'm a stupid moron)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You can also use the organic arrow recipe which requires spider legs or giant spider legs. Surveying owns though, really useful skill to have.

You automatically unlock organic recipes but they're a few levels higher than the mineral ones

futile
May 18, 2009
Archery/Fletching is incredibly difficult to start off with in general. As for the surveying, the survey NPC really likes sardonyx. You should get those from the Orange surveying in South Serbule, or did you have to get rep just to unlock that survey too? If so that's hosed.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

How to quick gain rep. Easy version.

1) Check the wiki for what stuff the NPC likes. Ignoring the cheap stuff that level him almost nothing.

2) Buy that stuff to other NPC, or a PC shop.

3) Donate to the NPC. Go to 2.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
The favor gains for getting into crafting is a bit extreme. I've been slowly preparing to break into Tailoring and I definitely felt the despair at first.

The gardening aspect isn't too horrible, just time-gated.
The textile manufactory part was expensive, but not hard.
Then the Tailoring NPC himself wants esoteric poo poo and gates progress along tailoring to favor hard. Yesterday I got him to Comfortable, saw how little that opened up, and logged out for a little bit to play something else.

I mean, it's not the end of the world. But it's definitely a pain.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Metal armor typically has much more armor points. Armor mitigates damage at 1 point per 5 points of armor so having a poo poo-ton of armor can make you immune to small things. Most of the passives focus on armor bonuses from combat refresh.
Cloth armor has less armor and the combat refresh bonuses give power. Also, you can sew up to 20 pockets onto chest and pant pieces at the expense of enhancement points. Who doesn't want +40 inventory?
Leather armor is the compromise between the two and up to 10 pockets for chest / legs.

Edit: Meant to hit Submit yesterday when it was still relevant to the conversation. :(

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Inimicul posted:

Metal armor typically has much more armor points. Armor mitigates damage at 1 point per 5 points of armor so having a poo poo-ton of armor can make you immune to small things. Most of the passives focus on armor bonuses from combat refresh.
Cloth armor has less armor and the combat refresh bonuses give power. Also, you can sew up to 20 pockets onto chest and pant pieces at the expense of enhancement points. Who doesn't want +40 inventory?
Leather armor is the compromise between the two and up to 10 pockets for chest / legs.

Edit: Meant to hit Submit yesterday when it was still relevant to the conversation. :(

Good info anyway, thanks for enlightening!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

please knock Mom! posted:

You can also use the organic arrow recipe which requires spider legs or giant spider legs. Surveying owns though, really useful skill to have.

You automatically unlock organic recipes but they're a few levels higher than the mineral ones

Alright, that doesn't sound as dire, but now I need to spend even more time grinding oak wood to unlock the recipe.

futile posted:

Archery/Fletching is incredibly difficult to start off with in general. As for the surveying, the survey NPC really likes sardonyx. You should get those from the Orange surveying in South Serbule, or did you have to get rep just to unlock that survey too? If so that's hosed.

No, I got the orange survey, I just can't get the mining survey. I might buy some sardonyx instead since several pc vendors have been cutting their prices on gems.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The bonus gems from surveying are the best part. If you get to the next survey within x minutes of the last survey you get a random gem or three from the area. You don't even have to bother with speed bonuses as long as you organize the maps into quadrants before you get started on your run. I organize my maps into one row for results in the bottom right, the next row for bottom left, then top left, then top right. I put a few junk items between the groups of maps so I can keep them separate. With a few minutes of organization you can set your route to wind around Serb and never have to run too far to the next node or miss out on the bonus gems. I usually do this with Rubywall maps since they cost almost nothing to make and I go through them the most grinding out items for cash or xp.

futile
May 18, 2009
Speaking of surveying, I hit 50 surveying and started surveying in Kur Mountains. I thought this would be cool but it seems you mostly just get these gems used for dyes instead of normal gems as your speed bonus. The upside seems to be getting winterprize as a speed bonus but I'm not sure that it's worth getting these dye gems--not to mention the cold, more difficult monsters, larger map, etc.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
You can also use map pins to mark each location and plan out your route that way, although you could run out if you do a large amount of maps at once.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oak wood is easy, place a player work order for 50-99 and spend about 2-3k

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Yeah, it's way too easy to run out of pins. I can only do about a dozen pins but I typically do 40+ maps at a time. I always keep a pair of +20 pocket pants and +20 pocket pants on me for times when I really need to haul poo poo. 90% of the time I don't even take them off when I'm doing combat because of all the crap I pick up through the night.

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

Read this thread more makes me thing I should probably put more work into getting off the island. I derp around too much when I try and play this game.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
A lot of things you'll need later come from the island but you can always go back and forth as needed. If you haven't been off the island yet and you're starting to run out of things to do on it, by all means hop the boat to the mainland and see what else the game offers.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think the island leaves a poor impression. It looks like the game is dead. It's a different story when you get to Serb, but the island is the reason why I've quit a couple of times.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I thought the island was okay as a tutorial, it probably wouldn't hurt to have an express option to leave and head to serbia though. Keep the part that forces you to teleport but allow skipping amethyst and coordinate gathering for example.

e: Tip for anyone starting out;
When you get to Serbule, always be checking Joeh's (the armorer elf with meat fetish) used goods. You can pick up cheap white armor pieces with huge armor values which make the early game so much easier. For example, I picked up a knights armor there, wearable with no skill reqs and 210 armor. That's the armor value of multiple moldy poo poo newbie sets combined.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 12, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Decided to give this a try. Got off the training island and am totally lost on how to progress in Serbule. So far I've been going sword and psychology but that was mostly because that's all I found on the training island to start with, and I'm not entirely sure how to switch over to something else or what would be good for it.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Eopia posted:

Decided to give this a try. Got off the training island and am totally lost on how to progress in Serbule. So far I've been going sword and psychology but that was mostly because that's all I found on the training island to start with, and I'm not entirely sure how to switch over to something else or what would be good for it.

One nice thing about Gorgon is, at least to my middling experience, a lot of combinations actually work well. Many combat skills are locked behind others, either formally (Ice Magic requires a significant buy into Fire Magic first) or effectively (Staff requires that you acquire poo poo from things that you can't kill just coming into Serb), but the stuff you can do immediately can be just as fun.

The way I found to progress initially was to figure out who the shopkeepers I'd want to use regularly are, and start building favor with them. It's more sanity-conductive to think in terms of getting a shallow amount of favor with a lot of NPCs than it is to try and grind against a single NPC at a time.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The new beast form is Rabbit, which combos with Ice Magic through a new type of magic hat.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Fewd posted:

I thought the island was okay as a tutorial, it probably wouldn't hurt to have an express option to leave and head to serbia though. Keep the part that forces you to teleport but allow skipping amethyst and coordinate gathering for example.

e: Tip for anyone starting out;
When you get to Serbule, always be checking Joeh's (the armorer elf with meat fetish) used goods. You can pick up cheap white armor pieces with huge armor values which make the early game so much easier. For example, I picked up a knights armor there, wearable with no skill reqs and 210 armor. That's the armor value of multiple moldy poo poo newbie sets combined.

I tried following your tip on Joeh's armor, and you were right... except another player was also there and while I was selling stuff so I could afford it, they bought everything I could use leaving only useless junk.

Also apparently you can get permanently cursed without dying? I got the big head curse while running away from the boss on the training island, and had to team up with another player to kill him to get rid of it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The curse sometimes is an attack the boss casts, pretty much like a debuff except it persists through death. Also, Elahil for staves and bows, Marna sometimes has stuff as well, and for the rest you just gotta shop around.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Don't forget to check the jewelry elf by the fountain. There's a type of necklace (that I can't remember) that gives +5 mitigation for -50 health. That's a good trade at low levels. It's pretty rare though and I tend to park them on my alts in case guild members need them.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Eopia posted:

I tried following your tip on Joeh's armor, and you were right... except another player was also there and while I was selling stuff so I could afford it, they bought everything I could use leaving only useless junk.

Heh, yea, I remember waffling over too long about buying a decent piece and when I finally decided, someone else had already bought it. Problem solved I guess.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I can make pretty much any kind of leather armor if people want that sort of thing.

futile
May 18, 2009
So I was looking at cheesemaking...

Is there any reason to do this skill other than because you hate yourself?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
It's a snack so it stacks with full meals. Even lower level cheeses yield some very sweet bonuses. Better than meals most of the time. All that for something almost impossible to level seriously. Milk cows, make butter, stockpile it for when you need to use it in cooking recipes. Eventually you'll get to the point where you can grind the cheeses (just as slowly).

futile
May 18, 2009

Inimicul posted:

It's a snack so it stacks with full meals. Even lower level cheeses yield some very sweet bonuses. Better than meals most of the time. All that for something almost impossible to level seriously. Milk cows, make butter, stockpile it for when you need to use it in cooking recipes. Eventually you'll get to the point where you can grind the cheeses (just as slowly).

I didn't know it stacked with foods, that's really good. The hundreds of stomachs you would need to level it seems insane though

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I haven't really noticed the stomach bottleneck. I hunted the panthers in Kur for a few days and wound up with 30 or so. I occasionally get them from other things too but that's where I notice them the most. I've only gone through something like 10 stomachs. I feel like I spend more time farming mushrooms. It helps to have an alt who's a cow that I can pop onto and fill a bottle or two every time I think about it. He just sits next to the transfer chest mooing at Hurlon for the free money every month and stocking up on milk.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I don't really understand character progression in this at all. Skill levels alone doesn't really seem to make you any stronger, so you're entirely reliant on lucky drops improving specific abilities, or if you're lucky giving a base increase to every ability in a combat skill? Also that item you just got that takes 25 levels in both your combat skills to wear has no guarantee whatsoever of actually being better than some 10/10 gear you've been using for ages?

Really my issue is that it makes it hard to tell what I should be doing to progress, because clearly my skill levels alone are useless as an indicator for what areas I'm strong enough to get into, and it's very difficult to tell how much of an improvement, if any, any given gear drop is.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 12, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Gear progression could definitely use some work. I've got Archery and Animal Handling over 30 now and the only gear slots I ever changed more than twice since leaving newbie island has been my helmet and bow. Post-newbie lsland, I've gotten all my gear from serbule crypt, myconian cave, or plain armor sold from an npc. And of course, a single mod on my gloves is so drat good I don't expect to replace it until I see a better version or until cap.

And I hear you about judging which content to hit next. I'm not sure even the wiki is telling the truth about what your main combat skill should be at for a given area.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
At this point the only thing I'm sure about is that I'm pretty well set for fighting undead, as I've got this amulet that gives one of my abilities +72 damage against them, which seems pretty absurd in a sea of things like +4 sword damage, +15% to ability, etc. mods that my other gear has.

Also if anyone is on and able to invite me to the guild, I'm about to hop on. IGN is Cirina and I'm currently in the Serbule area.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 12, 2017

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I don't think we have a guild... do we?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
We do. There's only a handful of us and we never seem to be online at the same time but the guild does exist. I've given everyone in guild invite ability to help out since I have practically no play time as of late. Combine that with needing to be in the same zone for invites and it makes tagging very hard.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm kind of tempted to give that Bunny potion I got from the event right before it ended a try. Are there any preparations I should make beforehand since I've only got one chance at it since I couldn't stockpile any?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Once you turn animal form, Hulon won't talk to you until you bribe him. He takes something like three ancient copper coins. I could be wrong on the type of coin. Check his wiki entry and hit up every used tab you can until you have enough. It's a lot easier to come by them that way than hoping for the drops while you have no access to your bank.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Inimicul posted:

We do. There's only a handful of us and we never seem to be online at the same time but the guild does exist. I've given everyone in guild invite ability to help out since I have practically no play time as of late. Combine that with needing to be in the same zone for invites and it makes tagging very hard.

Is there anyone specific usually online on east yurop time zone evenings I should haunt for invite? My characters name is Fudsworth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Judging by the roster, the semi-active people who can tag are:

Inimicul
AlexanderDeLarge
Oophelia
Breadbox
Freakmancer