Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Han was trained as an Imperial pilot too, at least in the old canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Han was trained as an Imperial pilot too, at least in the old canon.

Officer Academy, actually. Though he might've went there after excelling in pilot training.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Considering that Lucas took a lot of his inspiration when writing Star Wars from then current science fiction, how likely is it that his lines about the Clone Wars were based upon the Eugenics Wars from Star Trek's Space Seed?

quote:

SPOCK: Hull surface is pitted with meteor scars. However, scanners make out a name. SS Botany Bay.
KIRK: Then you can check the registry.
SPOCK: No such vessel listed. Records of that period are fragmentary, however. The mid-1990s was the era of your last so-called World War.
MCCOY: The Eugenics Wars.
SPOCK: Of course. Your attempt to improve the race through selective breeding.
MCCOY: Now, wait a minute. Not our attempt, Mister Spock. A group of ambitious scientists. I'm sure you know the type. Devoted to logic, completely unemotional.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did Lucas ever clarify details of what he imagined the Clone Wars were like before he started writing the prequels? As I recall, the view of most early EU writers was that it was fought by the Republic against clones, e.g. a bunch of RPG backstory, Pellaeon narrating about how he once tangled with a hostile clone force when he was in the Republic navy.

Fun fact: John Ostrander actually answered the latter point in Republic by placing Pellaeon as commander of the Republic blockade of Saleucami when Quinlan Vos and Aayla Secura were on the surface trying to stop the Separatists from creating an army of Morgukai clones.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I don't think so. I used to be a huge Star Wars nerd and can't recall anything beyond the assumption that it was Republic against Clones and maybe Obi-Wan stood for OB1, a clone designation. Additionally, I think the Clone Wars were among the things that Lucas had said were no-go zones to EU writers.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did Lucas ever clarify details of what he imagined the Clone Wars were like before he started writing the prequels? As I recall, the view of most early EU writers was that it was fought by the Republic against clones, e.g. a bunch of RPG backstory, Pellaeon narrating about how he once tangled with a hostile clone force when he was in the Republic navy.
Not too much, but everyone freaks out about the Spaarti cloning tanks in the first Zahn trilogy because of the damage they and the clonemasters did, heavily implying it was against clones. I don't think that was ever really reconciled but was instead mostly just swept under the rug.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

Considering that Lucas took a lot of his inspiration when writing Star Wars from then current science fiction, how likely is it that his lines about the Clone Wars were based upon the Eugenics Wars from Star Trek's Space Seed?

I don't think he really took a lot of inspiration from recent sci-fi. I think most of the inspiration he got from stuff like Star Trek and 2001 was to do the exact opposite of them. Most of his sci-fi influences were stuff from the 1930s/40s (Republic serials, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Lensman, Foundation). Though I think 'proton torpedo' probably had to come from Star Trek.

On the other hand Alphaville was a big influence on THX-1138. I'm convinced that a lot of the design aesthetic for Star Wars came from the lovely space station in Solaris, too. And there were the claims that Lucas got the concept of the astromech droids from Silent Running.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's also Dune, which is from 1965. Space Seed was first aired in 1967.

I think it's pretty safe that Lucas didn't have the Clone Wars fleshed out any further than to be an evocative name to science fiction fans when he wrote Star Wars, similar to how Anakin Skywalker (supposedly) served on a 'spice freighter'.

I should do a write-up of my amazing childhood Clone Wars theory.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I really enjoyed about the Bantam era EU particularly was what all of the writers involved thought the history of the setting was like. You had, for example, stuff like Jorus C'Baoth was awarded the rank of Jedi master after he completed his studies at Jedi university, as I recall.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Jorus, slayer of Yuenglings and Galactic Calc

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I really enjoyed about the Bantam era EU particularly was what all of the writers involved thought the history of the setting was like. You had, for example, stuff like Jorus C'Baoth was awarded the rank of Jedi master after he completed his studies at Jedi university, as I recall.
C'Baoth gave the rank to himself which Zahn used as foreshadowing for what a weirdo the original one was.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, I didn't know that. I definitely remember Jedi university being part of his backstory, though. At least up to a point; it might have been retconned out when the prequels were made. Anyway, I like C'Baoth in Outbound Flight a lot because he's something you very rarely see in Star Wars: he's a Jedi who is a bad guy but isn't on the dark side (right until the very end, at least).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

It would depend on when you asked him, I guess. Early stages of planning the script for The Empire Strikes Back they kicked around an idea that Lando was a surviving clone who went into business, and I think a general mistrust of clones made that difficult for him, but I'm not 100% that last part was in there.

As with anything Lucas, nothing counts until it's actually in the movie. He was constantly mentally rewriting the story. Which is fine, most good writers do. And some bad ones of course.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A whole Planet of Lando!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SeanBeansShako posted:

A whole Planet of Lando!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Star Wars comics need more "superdickery" style covers.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haha, I didn't know that. I definitely remember Jedi university being part of his backstory, though. At least up to a point; it might have been retconned out when the prequels were made. Anyway, I like C'Baoth in Outbound Flight a lot because he's something you very rarely see in Star Wars: he's a Jedi who is a bad guy but isn't on the dark side (right until the very end, at least).

C'Baoth's Jedi university (I forget the name) got mentioned a few times in the various Clone Wars era EU sources. I think it was at least in a few of the pre-AOTC HoloNet News website articles.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I like to think it of it as one of those shady online or mail order only type of school deals.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

C'Baoth's Jedi university (I forget the name) got mentioned a few times in the various Clone Wars era EU sources. I think it was at least in a few of the pre-AOTC HoloNet News website articles.

Having checked Wookieepedia, it was called Kamparas Jedi Training Centre but I distinctly remember it being called the University of Kamparas in old tie-in materials.

Edit: Actually, scratch that - apparently, he also studied at Mirnic University, so I probably got them confused. Nonetheless, Wookieepedia says he "continued his Jedi studies" here.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I like to think it of it as one of those shady online or mail order only type of school deals.

Right, somebody get Kathleen Kennedy and Bob Iger on the line because I've got their next Anthology movie: Bedknobs and Broomsticks but in Star Wars. Angela Lansbury can still star in it if they hurry.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 5, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd have liked to see a prequel setting where the Jedi were more like wandering watchmen who were incredibly rare sights, rather than druidic advisors to the galactic government. Would have made the myths about them and their obscurity by the time of the Empire more believable than a galaxy-wide cover up by palpy. Their extermination could have been a shadow war masked by the clone wars the same way the Mandalorian Wars and the subsequent Dark Wars converted Jedi and then slaughtered them.
Widespread Jedi activity just doesn't quite work for me anymore. None of these academies or giant temples. Just old, isolated monasteries off the coast of planet Ireland

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd have liked to see a prequel setting where the Jedi were more like wandering watchmen who were incredibly rare sights, rather than druidic advisors to the galactic government. Would have made the myths about them and their obscurity by the time of the Empire more believable than a galaxy-wide cover up by palpy. Their extermination could have been a shadow war masked by the clone wars the same way the Mandalorian Wars and the subsequent Dark Wars converted Jedi and then slaughtered them.
Widespread Jedi activity just doesn't quite work for me anymore. None of these academies or giant temples. Just old, isolated monasteries off the coast of planet Ireland

This is what most people (myself included) expected/wanted before the prequel series. However, it clearly wasn't what was wanted by the guy who made the series, so...

It is funny to think that Lucas always intended to have Jedi like we eventually got in the prequel series, and the bits he wrote about the Jedi into the OT, in his mind, was fitting perfectly with his larger vision. Meanwhile those of us who only had the bits that made it into the actual movies reached a totally different conclusion.

It's sort of like (though from the other end) how in background for A New Hope, Lucas describes Palpatine as an ineffectual corrupt Nixon-like Emperor, controlled by Dark Lords of the Sith, one of which was Vader, and Grand Moffs, who were the real power in the Empire. Like, he wrote the movie fitting into that universe. But none of it made it into the movie (just the novelization), so he could change all that without actually contradicting the first movie, which was largely informed by it. Different conclusion based on what was actually in the text.

I'm a total nerd for poo poo like that. I want The Secret History to be written for all movie series (though most probably don't go through crazy production histories like Star Wars).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Somewhere along the way I got this idea that the Jedi were meant to be like samurai who'd all share this warrior code and each go out and enter the service of various military officers, politicians, aristocrats etc. and you'd also get Jedi without masters wandering the galaxy like ronin doing good deeds. Obviously Lucas was influenced by Kurosawa's samurai movies and I was aware of that because a) I'd read some behind the scenes stuff to that effect when TPM came out; and b) I loved Usagi Yojimbo.

But even early on in the EU, I think things had started shifting towards what we saw in the prequels where they are a group of warrior monks, so I assume that's what Lucas's main idea must have been from a relatively early stage. They're closer to the Knights Templar, who once controlled vast wealth, held castles all over Europe and the Middle East and could influence the crowned heads of Christendom but were effectively wiped out by the King of France in a very short space of time. I imagine that must surely have influenced Lucas when he went for that portrayal.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd have liked to see a prequel setting where the Jedi were more like wandering watchmen who were incredibly rare sights, rather than druidic advisors to the galactic government. Would have made the myths about them and their obscurity by the time of the Empire more believable than a galaxy-wide cover up by palpy.
That sounds like basically Tales of the Jedi, which was an interesting sort of setup in its own right.

The idea that the Jedi are unknown in the time of the OT isn't really in the movies, though; I think it comes more from Legends, actually, as a way to avoid setting down backstory for (what would become) the prequel era, in case movies were ever made there. No one in the OT is ever unclear what a Jedi is, and those who do talk about them in a way that assumes their audience knows what they mean - even Luke, who grew up in a galactic backwater with an uncle who specifically kept him away from that sort of thing, doesn't have to ask Obi-Wan what he's talking about when the latter says that he and Luke's father were Jedi. A lot of the idea I think comes from Han's "hokey religions" and Motti's lack of faith, but both are skeptical of the Force as religion, not necessarily unaware of the existence of Jedi. I'd think of their public perception as something like the Freemasons - they're accepted as real, maybe a few actual facts about them circulate in the public consciousness, but there's also a lot of misinformation, speculation, and conspiracy theories circulating around them as well. And the Freemasons still exist nowadays, so imagine if they were wiped out 20 years ago by a government that suppressed knowledge of them.

With the PT now out, we really should be seeing a shift in the public perception of the Jedi in the new EU (like everyone now knowing a lot about the Clone Wars), but I think the notion that the memory of the Jedi has been wiped out by the late Empire has just sort of set in as one of those fan-accepted things. Lost Stars was kind of oddly inconsistent in it - they know about Mace Windu and the existence of "a temple" on Coruscant, but not that either of those two were associated with the Jedi.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure the whole Jedi chastity/no attachments thing of the prequels is equal parts George still not having got over his divorce, as well as him trying to stop the most rabid SW fans from procreating.

To go more to the Western roots of SW as well as the samurai part, I agree that " One riot, one Jedi" would have been a great template to follow.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

And now between TFA and Bloodlines we've come full circle, to where even senators in the New Republic don't really think a lot about the Jedi, and Rey doesn't know that Luke Skywalker is real.

Semi-related, I liked the bit in TFA where Rey only knew of Han Solo as a legendary smuggler, and Finn only knew of him as a rebel general.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Hydronium posted:

That sounds like basically Tales of the Jedi, which was an interesting sort of setup in its own right.

One of the stories I think is very interesting is this comic from 2001 or so (more of a tie-in to Dark Forces II than anything) called Jedi vs Sith in which the Jedi are all portrayed as medieval landed aristocrats who crack open a cask of their best on the eve of battle and declare, "TODAY WE SPILL WINE, TOMORROW WE SPILL BLOOD!" Years later, out come the Essential Guide to Warfare and the Essential Atlas, which square this away by explaining that the Sith at this time have managed to reduce the (already much smaller than the movie era) Republic to pretty much the Core worlds, with the holonet collapsing and galactic communication and co-ordination becoming almost impossible. A bunch of Jedi are inspired to go out by themselves and single-handedly liberate planets and solar systems from Sith oppression, then set themselves up as hereditary barons and kings so they can hold the worlds they've freed against the Sith.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And fly around in wooden hulled starships. The Valley of the Jedi stuff was great before the Darth Bane books ruined it and made it all about Revan thanks to Drew Karpyshin.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jedi vs. Sith is an excellent and severely underrated comic. And the whole high fantasy vibe of the Jedi Lords, art design, and setting gives it a unique feel that I think works better for the past of Star Wars than TOTJ's weird asymmetric Dune-esque thing or KOTOR's "the movies, but different".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bits of it are easily some of the darkest stuff Star Wars has ever done. I'm thinking of this bit:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jedi vs. Sith is great. When you compare it to the first Bane book that covers some of the same territory, the difference is pretty stark. Especially the characterizations of Bane, Kaan, and Githany in each work. It's also pretty impressive that it basically exists by crossing over the backstories of the TPM novelization and the novelization of a mid-90s video game. It's always funny when people comment on how books and comics being linked is some amazing new development that started when Disney took over the franchise.

Despite the name/location being an homage to KOTOR II, it seems like the Thought Bomb from Jedi vs. Sith is pretty clearly the basis for the Great Scourge of Malachor from the Rebels show, too. So it still has some impact on the new canon.

The artist worked on the X-wing comics too, I think.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Wheat Loaf posted:

Bits of it are easily some of the darkest stuff Star Wars has ever done. I'm thinking of this bit:

Sorry, I can't get over the cutesy art in that book, and I've read it about five times now. Juxtaposing horrible events with "funny" art may have worked for Maus. For Jedi vs Sith, not so much.

Chairman Capone posted:

Jedi vs. Sith is great. When you compare it to the first Bane book that covers some of the same territory, the difference is pretty stark. Especially the characterizations of Bane, Kaan, and Githany in each work.

EDIT: Or maybe (probably) my problem is that I never read the Darth Bane novels. If I had, I might care more for those characters.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 5, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Chairman Capone posted:

The artist worked on the X-wing comics too, I think.
Not according to Wookieepedia, but he did do Jango Fett: Open Seasons and a couple others. Darko Macan, the writer, did work on X-Wing though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Makes sense. Open Seasons is another favorite early-2000s comic of mine that I feel like has been kind of forgotten.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

Makes sense. Open Seasons is another favorite early-2000s comic of mine that I feel like has been kind of forgotten.

Was Open Seasons the original appearance of Death Watch and Vizsla? They've managed to have a bit of a life since then.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

...jesus.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On its face, the story's a kind of "kids go on a grand adventure" fantasy along the lines of Narnia or something like that, which I think the "high fantasy in space" aesthetic goes to as well. But it's a story where one of the kids is horribly killed, another one suffers PTSD and ends up gruesomely maimed, and the third goes over to the dark side and becomes Darth Bane's Sith apprentice.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/05/star-wars-biggest-collector-steve-sansweet-theft

quote:

The owner of the world’s largest Star Wars memorabilia collection has learned a hard lesson about trust. On Monday, he told his own saga in which $200,000 in collectibles were allegedly stolen from his California museum by a man he once considered a friend – and asked fellow movie fans for help in recovering them.

Steve Sansweet, the owner of Rancho Obi-Wan in Petaluma, California, said in a release to “Star Wars fans and collectors” that 100 items, which he referred to as “vintage US and foreign carded action figures, many of them rare and important pieces”, were taken from his collection between late 2015 through 2016, many of them resold.

He posted details of the crime on his website and asked fellow collectors and fans to email tips@ranchoobiwan.org with information.

The alleged culprit: Carl Edward Cunningham, 45 of Marietta, Georgia, a fellow Star Wars collector whom Sansweet has known for 20 years. Cunningham was arrested in March in Sonoma County, California, and charged with felony grand theft. He is free on $25,000 bail and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for 27 June.

It’s devastating,” Sansweet told the Guardian on Monday about when he learned a friend was charged with the thefts. “It’s a feeling of utter betrayal that someone could stoop to this level, an alleged friend and confidant, someone I had invited to my house and shared meals with.”

Sansweet said he met Cunningham in 1996, while the museum proprietor was head of fan relations at Lucasfilm.

Since 1977, Sansweet has accumulated at least 350,000 franchise artifacts, stored inside a 9,000-sq-ft warehouse he calls Rancho Obi-Wan, located on a idyllic country lane an hour north of San Francisco. He has also written 18 Star Wars books and is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as owning the world’s largest collection of Star Wars paraphernalia.

The theft came to light in February when Philip Wise, a major Star Wars collector, posted news of the theft of a rare action figure from his Texas warehouse. Another dealer from southern California informed Wise that he had purchased the figure from Cunningham, a Georgia collector, Sansweet wrote in his release to movie fans Monday.

The California dealer, Zach Tann, told Wise that he had bought many other Star Wars collectibles from Cunningham and sent a detailed list. Wise concluded that the quantity and quality of the items suggested they had been taken from Sansweet’s sprawling Ranch Obi-Wan museum.

He contacted Sansweet who confirmed that the items were missing, including a rare three-pack of figures and a store display worth $20,000.

“When I saw the items missing, and considering the circumstances of the theft, my stomach physically sank,” Sansweet said. “I was queasy. I was dumbfounded,”

Sansweet said authorities were trying to retrieve items that had been resold and implored Star Wars fans to report anything they knew about the thefts or sightings of the items. He said two fans have contacted authorities to say they bought some of the items from a legitimate dealer and have offered to return them, even if they do not get their money back.

Actor Mark Hamill, who played the character Luke Skywalker in the film franchise, tweeted Monday about the theft, saying: “Maybe publish a list of stolen items to protect potential victims from purchasing ‘hot’ merchandise.”

Sansweet said the thefts ran contrary to the collegial spirit of Star Wars fans.

“We’ve had thousands of visitors since we became a nonprofit museum in 2011,” he said. “And never once to our knowledge have we had a single item stolen.”

Sansweet said the museum had already upgraded security, but he refused to say that his trust in friendship had been ruined. “The message here is not to start mistrusting your friends,” he said. “Or you’d be the most miserable person in the world.”

Laughing at the guy who thinks it's worth going to jail over action figures.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Here's a question for you: Can someone give me the rundown on how the Mandalorians evolved from being a throwaway mention in the ESB novelization (I believe) to whatever their state was before Karen Traviss got her hands on them? The first time I heard about them was in KOTOR, and my impression at the time was they're simply yet another poorly thought-out generic sci-fi warrior culture.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Here's a question for you: Can someone give me the rundown on how the Mandalorians evolved from being a throwaway mention in the ESB novelization (I believe) to whatever their state was before Karen Traviss got her hands on them? The first time I heard about them was in KOTOR, and my impression at the time was they're simply yet another poorly thought-out generic sci-fi warrior culture.

It's pretty generic All Members Of The Race Are The Same thing, like what happened to Hutts/Rodians/etc. Because EU authors are not really good at extrapolating the idea that not everyone in a culture is the same they decided they are nothing but a race of Boba Fetts and because EU writers are largely pretty lovely they got into the mix of lame concepts + "Boba Fett is cool so a RACE of Boba Fetts is cooler!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Yeah, but where does it come from that Boba Fett is a Mandalorian in the first place, etc. I'm mainly interested in the evolution of lore before the prequels.