Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CJacobs posted:

And as we all know, PCs are only used for playing video games and also immediately self destruct when the current console generation ends.

i mean, i'm glad of my desktop, but i'd be lying if i said the reason my budget doesn't include a ps4 or a switch is because i chose i'd rather upgrade my hardware over it. a good new gpu costs less than a ps4, but next time, maybe i think my hard drives are getting a little long in the tooth, or maybe the mobo itself has been physically degraded from living in an environment that's harmful to computer hardware, etc.

maintaining a computer capable of running fancy games is kind of a sisyphean undertaking. you don't do it every year, but hell when it comes down to deciding "do i want new games hardware or do i want new computer parts" the answer generally comes out to "i kinda got a lot of games i wanna play on the computer, too..."

also you can't play civ on a ps quadruple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

What if I told you the Scorpion360 will let you take Cortana out on a VR date? How much would you pay then?

Use the VR Scorpion 360 to pull opponents directly to you and immolate your foes with your skeleton head.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
paw paw dyed back 'fore the war a the "Steam Disease"- found 'im face-first in an open case covered in arctic silver

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
it's 2017, you can run pretty much any game on a $400 PC

probably

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I play most things on a PC these days if I have a choice and waited until a few months ago during a Black Friday sale to buy a PS4 but it had Bloodborne and Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 locked up on there so I really didn't have a choice in the end did I!!!!

I forgot where I was going with this but it may have been worth it for Bloodborne and P5 alone at the price I paid

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I was running most games on a $500 PC back in 2012

Not at high settings obvs and you're gonna wanna settle for 25-30fps for some games but hey

that's already the case with consoles, still looked better than PS3 at the time :haw:

that said

Monkey Fracas posted:

I play most things on a PC these days if I have a choice and waited until a few months ago during a Black Friday sale to buy a PS4 but it had Bloodborne and Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 locked up on there so I really didn't have a choice in the end did I!!!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Once you see TressFX at a glorious 60fps like God Xirself intended there is no price too high for PC gaming.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
For real though, if you're a nerd gamer like me it's really, really hard to go back

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I await the mega console that plays all my games but until that day I guess I'll buy a bunch of consoles.

This just reminded me of the weird builds they'd do on either techtv or G4 where somebody would put a bunch of them together, or this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9AY_xQre9M

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I desperately need a new PC but don't want to spend upwards of €1000 for it because gently caress off.

Prices have risen a great deal between 2011 and now lol.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

Does that really justify spending several hundred dollars more just for the prestigious honor of not waiting a few months for the price to become reasonable? It'd be nice if they could skip that part and just have them be reasonably priced to begin with.

They usually cant be cheaper until they sell enough to make an internal revision and get the economy of scale they need.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I like to play games on the sofa and tv with a controller and consoles work best for that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Saint Freak posted:

What if I told you the Scorpion360 will let you take Cortana out on a VR date? How much would you pay then?

Ms said this week vr/ar will be pc only from them for the foreseeable future.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dont argue pc vs console. June is for all gamers

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Spoderman posted:

I like to play games on the sofa and tv with a controller and consoles work best for that

huh, never had an issue doing this with my PC and my DS4, been doing it for over 6 years

consoles are literally amputated computers, you can set up a PC to have a nice and snazzy couch setup no prob

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Dont argue pc vs console. June is for all gamers

Actually its End Boss Month, when gamers meet their maker

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man my motherboard is like 7 or 8 years old now... have replaced the CPU, GPU, added RAM, and upgraded to an SSD since I built the thing. Feel like eventually something's gonna break but I haven't seen any... signs of it yet. PSU is good brand but I know those things have an operating lifespan

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Def not arguing pc vs console, I enjoy them both well enough

but the claimed "downsides" of PC vs a "plug n play" home console are usually non-existent in 2017, barring a higher price point and software exclusivity

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

Ms said this week vr/ar will be pc only from them for the foreseeable future.

If they really don't care about console VR, maybe they'll add PSVR support to Minecraft.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Actually its End Boss Month, when gamers meet their maker

i hope I meet the mario maker, for Switch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

i hope I meet the mario maker, for Switch

Me too. With Slopes and a world map/playlist feature.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

If they really don't care about console VR, maybe they'll add PSVR support to Minecraft.

They claim to be waiting for console vr until wireless consumer grade headsets are more viable

The scorpio will be on the way out by then

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Me too. With Slopes and a world map/playlist feature.

:yeah:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i play all my videogames on a digital rectal thermometer, by shoving it up my rear end, and screaming "videogames"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm still stuck playing phoenix on a TI-83

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i play all my videogames on a digital rectal thermometer, by shoving it up my rear end, and screaming "videogames"

I see you also had a WiiU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

Immersive VR

really immersive

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Having to keep track of where I am in an indexed loop in Human Resource Machine makes me want to loving die. What I wouldn't give for some functional programming right now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The true endboss of gamers is the pull of work, family, friends, and a limited budget, each of which prevents us all from playing all of the games that we want to play before we die.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I play most of my computer games on a Mac.

Which, weirdly enough, is one of the best ways to play old DOS games. Boxer is awesome.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

OpenEmu owns so so much and it sucks that there's nothing as good as it for PC.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

The true endboss of gamers is the pull of work, family, friends, and a limited budget, each of which prevents us all from playing all of the games that we want to play before we die.

The first of those is enough. No need to try to boss rush it.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Real hurthling! posted:

Afaik that is just the editor of windows central's opinion. Unless youve seen a new souce in the last day or two.

Other rumors came out this week calling 499 the upper limit that ms is willing to price it at.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/7/15754260/microsoft-xbox-e3-project-scorpio-teaser-trailers

Microsoft has been posting little teaser things and one is a url that leads to this image:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

chumbler posted:

The first of those is enough. No need to try to boss rush it.

It's all of them together, forming some kind of horrible monstrosity called The Time Devourer (not the Chrono Cross one, scarier).

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ometeotl posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/7/15754260/microsoft-xbox-e3-project-scorpio-teaser-trailers

Microsoft has been posting little teaser things and one is a url that leads to this image:

The s is going to be less than $10? Possibly 1.25? Hard to believe.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm pumped as all hell about Radiant Historia getting a port. That game might be my number one sleeper hit next to the original NIER.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Now they just need to redo Infinite Space

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

I play most of my computer games on a Mac.

Which, weirdly enough, is one of the best ways to play old DOS games. Boxer is awesome.

Boxer's design is amazing. It gives the games folder a looping background of a wooden shelf so it makes the icons for your games look like they're the actual physical boxes inside of a game case. It's such a dumb little thing but it's great (I haven't used it in a while but I hope it still does that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Bicyclops posted:

I'm doin a speedrun

• Locked thread