Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Why bother with a link AND the entire article? One of those things is completely unnecessary and takes up a lot of unneeded space.

Oh no, the forums are running out of space!

It's nice to not have to worry about formatting and whatnot on mobile, the person put in more effort to make it an easier experience for us. It was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Oh no, the forums are running out of space!

It's nice to not have to worry about formatting and whatnot on mobile, the person put in more effort to make it an easier experience for us. It was nice.

yeah this

pasting the article makes it easier to read on mobile and can be avoided by scrolling past it, the link is nice to have even with the article pasted in just because it's nice to have the source linked and giant ouija board is just arbitrarily deeming it unnecessary so that they can do a stupid Seinfeld shrug about their pet peeve of the moment I guess

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I wonder if her death certificate stated that death was caused by "injuries inconsistent with life". Comedy answer: "Death due to the visitation of God"

Was about to post "lurk more," but
http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/articles/visitation_of_god.html

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

If you post a link, please don't then just paste the whole drat article in after it.

Whaaaaaaaaat? Might as well say, "if you're going to post an article, don't cite your sources"

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
That way, when the link dies, no one can know what OP was referring to. It's better that way, because back in 2003,

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

A Pinball Wizard posted:

That way, when the link dies, no one can know what OP was referring to. It's better that way, because back in 2003,

Simply posting the link is all you need, as evidenced by how well waffleimages links still work.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
It bugs me having walls of text to scroll past, but apparently most of you guys are okay with that so carry on

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

It bugs me having walls of text to scroll past, but apparently most of you guys are okay with that so carry on

Same, but I guess if someone wants to read this thread in 6 years maybe the links will have shifted and then that person would be confused or whatever the reasoning was.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2017/05/mary-kay-letourneau-and-vili-fualaau-separate

I always hoped that Vili Fualaau would get away from his rapist as soon as his daughters were adults but only maybe, possibly reality.
That Barbara Walthers interview was super creepy.

The business venture is some sort of Marijuana cigarette business. Reef-her Vili.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I mainly read SA on mobile so I don't read the articles that just get links, I only read the ones quoted in thread. Pls keep quoting articles in thread :shobon:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Xibanya posted:

I mainly read SA on mobile so I don't read the articles that just get links, I only read the ones quoted in thread. Pls keep quoting articles in thread :shobon:

Same. It's really helpful.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

This whole forum is a wall of text to scroll past. "Stop posting words on this forum, I'm trying to read."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

That's an interesting explanation for the phrase. I had remembered a funny section of Mark Twain's story, "Buck Fanshaw's Funeral": "...On the inquest it was shown that Buck Fanshaw, in the delirium of a wasting typhoid fever, had taken arsenic, shot himself through the body, cut his throat, and jumped out of a four-story window and broken his neck—and after due deliberation, the jury, sad and tearful, but with intelligence unblinded by its sorrow, brought in a verdict of death "by the visitation of God." What could the world do without juries?"

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I'll welcome the mild annoyance of text dumps if people will just post any kind of content, goddamn.

quote:

DR FIONA-JANE BROWN reveals how the new science of forensics revealed Aberdeen’s Sack Murderer in 1934

Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones… But names will never hurt me”, so runs the old saying; however, a hideous murder in a city tenement in 1934 proved it to be a lie.

On the 21st of April that year, in Urquhart Road, Aberdeen, 8-year old Helen Priestly was found dead in a sack at the foot of the stair in the tenement where she lived with her parents, apparently sexually assaulted and strangled.

Police would later solve the case with the help of Professor Sidney Smith, an expert in the then brand-new science of forensic medicine.

Professor Smith was able to identify unique bacteria from the victim’s vomit found in the sack, which he advised would definitely be found at the murder scene.

The true killer of the little girl would turn out to be church-going, well-respected neighbour, Mrs Jeannie Donald, whose daughter Jean was Helen’s playmate.

Helen would often tease her friend’s mother, calling her names like “Coconut”, not realising that it was festering in Jeannie Donald’s mind, causing her to despise the little brunette.

On the morning of the murder, the prosecution counsel speculated that Helen had started one of her tirades on the stairs; Jeannie had grabbed her by the shoulder close to her neck, causing Helen to faint.

She was unaware that the girl was suffering from a condition which made her lose consciousness easily, and was convinced she had killed her.

Jeannie’s first mistake was to drag the girl into her kitchen and start to cause damage to her vagina with a broomhandle in order to make it look as if she had been raped.

The first blow woke Helen up; her screaming terrified the older woman, who grabbed her by the neck until she stopped.

Now she knew she was a murderess. Stuffing the body into a jute sack, she stored it in the cupboard under the sink until the early hours, when she dumped it in the hallway, hoping people would believe Helen’s death was the work of a pervert.

The bacteria identified by Professor Smith were later found on floorcloths in Jeannie’s kitchen.

Her trial took place in Edinburgh, as Jeannie Donald was in danger of being lynched in her hometown of Aberdeen.

She said not a word to explain her conduct nor plead guilty to the charge.

Perhaps her silence was what saved her from the gallows, as she was given a life sentence, of which she served 10 years in Duke Street Prison, Glasgow.

After her release, Jeannie, now abandoned by her husband and child, was given a new identity and moved to England, living to the age of 80.

The “Sack Murder” as it was known in the police annals, was gruesome enough, but it would seem Jeannie Donald’s hatred of little Helen resonated into the very spirit world.

While working as curator for Grampian Police Force Museum, I had given a talk about the case, and was later contacted by a lady in her 80s who told me that the week before Helen’s murder, she and her friend went to visit a local fortune-teller.

These were two young teens keen to know if they would have boyfriends very soon, but they were immediately disappointed when the gypsy – my informant described her as such – told them to go away, that she could not read fortunes today.

When the girls pressed for a reason, the woman explained, “No, I canna read yer palms, my dearies, for I have seen a terrible thing in my crystal ball. A wee girlie is going to die soon and all of Aberdeen will mourn for her, so away with ye, come another day.”

My informant was convinced that the fortune-teller had accurately predicted Helen Priestly’s murder.

Indeed, people did feel Helen’s loss keenly, as a public subscription was raised to install a marble gravestone for her in the city’s Allenvale Cemetery which stands to this day.

Take care who you mock, it may be the death of you.

Don't call people coconuts.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Xibanya posted:

Why not just open links in new tabs? I mean it's so much easier to just do that than expect everyone else to scroll past a giant wall of text, and those giant walls of text also make it really hard to find anything you're actually looking for in the last few pages of a thread. There's a reason basic internet etiquette is to post a link and a relevant quote so people have their interest piqued, and only post the entire thing if it's really short or can't be linked. This is not a mod post I am just also annoyed by people who inconvenience me by doing the Internet wrong and then try to argue that they aren't being selfish jerks, their way is actually better!

Alereon has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Jun 4, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alereon posted:

Why not just open links in new tabs? I mean it's so much easier to just do that than expect everyone else to scroll past a giant wall of text, and those giant walls of text also make it really hard to find anything you're actually looking for in the last few pages of a thread. There's a reason basic internet etiquette is to post a link and a relevant quote so people have their interest piqued, and only post the entire thing if it's really short or can't be linked. This is not a mod post I am just also annoyed by people who inconvenience me by doing the Internet wrong and then try to argue that they aren't being selfish jerks, their way is actually better!

The app doesn't have tabs

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
It makes Awful app work weird after when I do. Also maybe I was scarred for life by unexpectedly opening two girls one cup once and now I just hate following links. :colbert: so I appreciate when people Internet wrong and paste articles.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

1. "paste it in the thread instead of just relying on links" is standard practice in some other threads but in this one it needs to be litigated anew for some reason. What the hell. Pasting works just fine for the /r/relationships thread, for instance

2. on mobile, it is often hard to read websites because even in 2017 many sites are not optimized for mobile layout, and "open in another tab" doesn't help with that; also, ads & data rates tbh :shrug:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Alereon posted:

Often the sites are slow/lovely/beset by ads/crash in the mobile browser, and I'm using one of them fancy iPhone 6 thingies so it's not like I have an obsolete device. Having the article here formats it in an easy-to-read way and makes it easier to quote!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

I'll welcome the mild annoyance of text dumps if people will just post any kind of content, goddamn.

Don't call people coconuts.

So you just complained about people posting links and entire articles afterwards but what weird source did this come from that ends with an anonymous quote about a fortune teller? This is why it's nice to have links or sources

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

So you just complained about people posting links and entire articles afterwards but what weird source did this come from that ends with an anonymous quote about a fortune teller? This is why it's nice to have links or sources

quote:

I'll welcome

I did it specifically because people were complaining about not being able to click links on their phones and forgot to post the link for the rest of you. The author throws some spook in it because she has historical tours around Aberdeen and sometimes they're spooky.

http://www.spookyisles.com/2013/09/sticks-and-stones-may-break-my-bones/

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Another forum I used to be on had a spoiler feature that reduced all spoiled text to a link which you could click to display it all. Sort of like the TIMG tag here for pictures. That feature would solve this problem, because the wall o' text would be reduced to one line unless you clicked the link.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
P.s.

Pick posted:

Man how many cats did that guy have?! He doesn't even look putrefied but the cats ate that much flesh off of him?!
This is a terrible thing to read while I'm at work and can't reasonably be looking at dead body pictures for the next 7-8 hours. Now I'm going to be wondering all day.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

pookel posted:

This is a terrible thing to read while I'm at work and can't reasonably be looking at dead body pictures for the next 7-8 hours. Now I'm going to be wondering all day.
Think of a normal human arm with a spooky skeleton hand

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Goddamnit, wrong thread.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Sarcopenia posted:

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2017/05/mary-kay-letourneau-and-vili-fualaau-separate

I always hoped that Vili Fualaau would get away from his rapist as soon as his daughters were adults but only maybe, possibly reality.
That Barbara Walthers interview was super creepy.

The business venture is some sort of Marijuana cigarette business. Reef-her Vili.

Creepy indeed. I remember one part where Barbara asked a question and Mary Kay answered it but Vili didn't like her answer. He interrupted and made her go back and rephrase her response.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I say post the articles for the reasons stated. However, quoting the entire article to just to add a comment should be punishable by genital hurting. I've either read it or scrolled past it once already. No need to add a ten foot tall text wall to your reply you inconsiderate penis.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Have we come to an agreement on how to post? I have a decent amount of content (it's mostly crime stuff though) and had intended to try to post something on the regular to kind of keep it alive and active. But it's kind of a buzzkill if people are just going to complain about the way it's posted. :(

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Posting entire articles is also a copyright issue, although I'm not sure how big of a deal that is on these forums.

Personally, I'm in favor of a short blurb and a link. That gives me enough to decide whether to follow that link, and a site that posts something worth reading deserves the traffic.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sarcopenia posted:

Have we come to an agreement on how to post? I have a decent amount of content (it's mostly crime stuff though) and had intended to try to post something on the regular to kind of keep it alive and active. But it's kind of a buzzkill if people are just going to complain about the way it's posted. :(

It's basically a sharp divide between those that browse on mobile (where the new pages can be a pain in the rear end and are more likely to skip content as a result) and desktop browsers (who have tired scrolling fingers and don't have the same issues going offsite)

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

=if you hit the spacebar on your keyboard the page will scroll for you and you won't even have to click, it will go really fast and be very very easy to skip large blocks of text

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

fruit on the bottom posted:

It's basically a sharp divide between those that browse on mobile (where the new pages can be a pain in the rear end and are more likely to skip content as a result) and desktop browsers (who have tired scrolling fingers and don't have the same issues going offsite)

I mostly browse mobile, I just don't like having to scroll past single posts which end up being longer than the rest of the page.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

InediblePenguin posted:

=if you hit the spacebar on your keyboard the page will scroll for you and you won't even have to click, it will go really fast and be very very easy to skip large blocks of text

Sure, but also

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

quoting the entire article to just to add a comment should be punishable by genital hurting.

(I'm guilty of this myself)

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I'm just going to post it the way I like to post it. Short "introduction", link and maybe some quotes.

Girl kills herself on facebook live while people goad her on. One of them allegedly being her mother. DFC and the mother get into a blame game war.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...de-on-facebook/

Mom's alleged facebook message:

quote:

#ADHD games played u sad little DCF custody jit that’s why u where u at for this dumb s--t n more u keep crying wolf u dead u will get buried life goes on after a jit that doesn’t listen to there parents trying to be grown seeking boys and girls attention instead of her books,” the comment read.
And a couple of gems.

quote:

A report alleged that Naika was raped while she was in foster care. The accused denied it, saying it was Naika who was sexually aggressive, the report says. No one was charged.
At age 5, her mother called her a liar and a faker after she was taken to the emergency room for a chronic health condition.
At age 6, she ended up with 30 belt marks all over her body after her mother reportedly caught her in a sex act with a male babysitter.
Naika often told her therapist that she missed her mother greatly and really wanted to go back home.
:smith:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
quoted myself

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jesus christ, does anything happen on Facebook Live that's not a murder/suicide/rape?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

quote:

#ADHD games played u sad little DCF custody jit that’s why u where u at for this dumb s--t n more u keep crying wolf u dead u will get buried life goes on after a jit that doesn’t listen to there parents trying to be grown seeking boys and girls attention instead of her books,” the comment read.

Can someone translate this for me? I think it means "study instead of looking for attention."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can someone translate this for me? I think it means "study instead of looking for attention."

To translate from "unutterable human piss pot"

"The ADHD game is played out you sad little DCF (Department of Children + Families) custody jit [jit presumably means something insulting]. That why you are where you are at for this dumb poo poo and more. Keep crying wolf and you are dead and will get buried, but life goes on after. A [insult word] that doesn't listen to their parents. Trying to be grown up looking for boys and girls attention instead of studying."

gently caress this person. gently caress the fact that I read this, gently caress the whole loving thing, for fucks sake.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Jun 7, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also "lol I'm alleging that you're in the foster system because of an attention span related mental illness and not because I, your parent, lost custody of you due to neglect and physical abuse and possible sexual abuse, and then I kicked you back to the state that time they restored custody of you to me"

eta: jit probably means idiot, as in idjit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

in this social context "jit" is an insulting term used for a young person who is talking poo poo but don't know poo poo, not directly/knowingly short for idiot (although in other social contexts that is true)