Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Skip My Posts posted:

Tons of Brazilian dudes had that sponsor and wore that purple hat

all of them did

even these brazilians were sponsored & wore that hat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Skip My Posts posted:

Tons of Brazilian dudes had that sponsor and wore that purple hat

Acai brands are really good at promotion.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
All shall wear the hat.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tbh I'm way more excited for Lewis/Hunt than anything until 213 and then Cormier/Jones

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I wish cormier jones was this weekend. Can't wait to see Jones cry

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I mean, when you're paying 2500 a month in fines because of the complaints of your neighbors - you get rid of your neighbors

quote:

The homeowners association in his Vegas community knows. It didn’t approve of the lavish waterfalls in his pool. His three kids, now 6 to 11 years old, loved them. Remember that $2,500 in protection money? That’s about how much the checks were that White would write monthly for about five years, covering the fines for those waterfalls.

“I bought that (bleeping) house and now the neighbors want to tell me what I can do in my backyard?” White said. “I don’t tell them what to do and I don’t care what they do in their backyard. So I fought that thing right to the end and I ended up winning it. They were going to have to send a cruise missile in there to take that pool out.”

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 7, 2017

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Dana doesn't tip less than 2500 on any given weekday.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
2,500 waterfall fine, payable by cash, check, or dinosaur teeth

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The pool is protected by sage northcutt

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Assuming we've all had lovely neighbors that don't mind their own business at one time or another and make it a hobby to annoy you - Who wouldn't buy their house and knock it down just out of principle if they had the money?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HOA's are loving retarded

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Sometimes I think I've made it in life and then I go and read a story about a supermillionaire buying the estates of other millionaires around what is at least his second house so he can have a big pool and realize that there are levels to this human existence to which I should not even bother aspiring

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Assuming we've all had lovely neighbors that don't mind their own business at one time or another and make it a hobby to annoy you.

Who wouldn't buy their house and knock it down just out of principle if they had the money?

I think it's awesome that instead of moving to a more exclusive neighbourhood with a 40 million dollar house he's just keeping the house he already has and is razing his neighbour's houses to the ground

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

mewse posted:

I think it's awesome that instead of moving to a more exclusive neighbourhood with a 40 million dollar house he's just keeping the house he already has and is razing his neighbour's houses to the ground

I agree and would also like to be a billionaire

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

Sometimes I think I've made it in life and then I go and read a story about a supermillionaire buying the estates of other millionaires around what is at least his second house so he can have a big pool and realize that there are levels to this human existence to which I should not even bother aspiring

mewse posted:

sportsgenius86 posted:

HOA's are loving retarded

Agreed

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

On the scale of dumb rear end poo poo Dana White has spent money on, buying his millionaire neighbors houses and kicking their houses asses doesn't even rank.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tesilential posted:

Lol, height doesn't matter

I really want to highlight that you actually said this. "Height isn't the only determining factor" is a reasonable statement, this is not. And, looking at the replay of their fight, I'm not sure why you're so sure Lineker is bigger. If there's some massive difference in size in Lineker's favour, it's not obvious to the eye.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

I really want to highlight that you actually said this. "Height isn't the only determining factor" is a reasonable statement, this is not. And, looking at the replay of their fight, I'm not sure why you're so sure Lineker is bigger. If there's some massive difference in size in Lineker's favour, it's not obvious to the eye.

hurrrr

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Like reach, height is a factor as much as the fighters make it a factor. Some fighters are great at using their height advantage and other shorter fighters are great at dealing with it. See Hunt vs Struve and also Struve vs Barry.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hes using lineker to say tj is gonna miss weight for some retarded reason

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Lineker is 4 feet tall and also 4 feet wide.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Also his hands are made of stone so that must add a bunch of weight.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Also his hands are made of stone so that must add a bunch of weight.

Depends what sort of stone. Maybe they're made of pumice, who's to say.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Work Friend Keven posted:

On the scale of dumb rear end poo poo Dana White has spent money on, buying his millionaire neighbors houses and kicking their houses asses doesn't even rank.

Yeah, I would do it too if I could.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Dana White doesn't care about gamers. And somethings got to give

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
"Don't worry kid" Dana says about a 35 year old man, "you only have 7 more fights on your contract until you can start making more than $10k/10k per fight"
"Now I need to leave and buy a few more multi-million mansion to destroy"

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

The article also says he imports snow on Christmas.

:boom:

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Dana imports "snow" year round actually

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Wow TJ really did kill Joe Daddy on TUF this week.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Why isn't Demetrious Johnson more of a draw? I've seen a few of his fights and they've been really good, he's a good fighter yet seems to get low PPV buys.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

bessantj posted:

Why isn't Demetrious Johnson more of a draw? I've seen a few of his fights and they've been really good, he's a good fighter yet seems to get low PPV buys.

it's a mystery for the ages, truly

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

bessantj posted:

he doesnt have a lot of charisma. you could say its because hes short and bald too but road cyclist marco pantani was similarly short and bald and he has roadside shrines, statues, works of art etc dedicated to him dotted all over continental europe. personally mr johnson doesnt leave much of an impression on me though i do like to watch his fights

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i think it's because he doesn't get promoted, and the people he fights have spent the entire rest of their career buried in the prelims / early prelims so every single title defense sounds like it's against someone from keven's lhw rankings who he crushes easily, instead of world class fighters in their own right.... who he crushes easily

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

i think it's because he doesn't get promoted, and the people he fights have spent the entire rest of their career buried in the prelims / early prelims so every single title defense sounds like it's against someone from keven's lhw rankings who he crushes easily, instead of world class fighters in their own right.... who he crushes easily

Yeah it's much more of a problem with no flyweight getting any promotion so no one cares about their champion crushing them either.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

bessantj posted:

I think there's a lot of issues behind this. His size will always be a detriment because the average viewer is going to look at him and think that they could take him in a fight... so, subconsciously, people just won't take him seriously because they don't register him as threatening. And to be fair, he looks ridiculous when wearing a suit and he really needs to stop doing that.
Besides that, he seems polite and the type of person who thinks that actions speak louder than words so he won't go out of his way to talk poo poo or make a scene. I'm pretty sure his average day has him going to work, training, and then going home to his family where he streams violent video games on twitch (who probably aren't people who would pay to watch a PPV anyways). So, he's not generating like... Jon Jones style heat.
And Yeah, the UFC (or maybe just Dana?) has been burying him in Fight Night cards, but I think they have a legitimate point that hyping DJ is actually kind of difficult. People like Rousey, Sage, and PVZ are super easy to push because they're all attractive (white) people and sometimes that's all it takes. People like Silva, Bisping, GSP, and McGregor have countries that they can represent and tribalism is a really easy angle to tap into. I don't see them pushing him as a GOAT contender because he can be mistaken for a child and it's also fairly confusing what with Silva still being around and GSP potentially looming over the horizon.

So, what can we use to make him famous? I dunno!
:tinfoil: says that this controversy is their push. Put him on the news as the little guy fighting the big bad corporation to generate hype to sell more tickets.
But because I know the UFC and I know Dana, I also know that there is absolutely no loving way that's true.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

They should push him as the deadliest man to fit in a suitcase imo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
the real life oddjob. not to be confused with the real life randomtask

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
It takes two to tango and the vast bast majority of Mouse opponents go from prelims to main events against him. There's no attempt to make flyweight main event number one contender fights even though they are rich in talent because Mouse is prime Anderson making everyone below him look a jobber. He isn't given analyst spots, he isn't pushed as a person, he was a company man through and through until now and he's sick of being bottom of the totem pole because he is so loving good.

If this leads to a sort of anti-authority charactisation for him it might make him a name by accident as an outspoken revolutionary for fighters rights.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Belgian Waffle posted:

I think there's a lot of issues behind this. His size will always be a detriment because the average viewer is going to look at him and think that they could take him in a fight... so, subconsciously, people just won't take him seriously because they don't register him as threatening. And to be fair, he looks ridiculous when wearing a suit and he really needs to stop doing that.
Besides that, he seems polite and the type of person who thinks that actions speak louder than words so he won't go out of his way to talk poo poo or make a scene.

He rarely wears suits and that is a dumb poo poo complaint in the first place. He also talks mad poo poo and is catty with his opponents but since the UFC doesn't promote him people like you come in and say he's too quiet and doesn't attract enough attention.

The rest of your post is also stupid but I don't have time to get into it.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Live from Dana white's pool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2zlRFelNQE

• Locked thread