Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cochise
Sep 11, 2011

In his house at Mar-a-Largo fat Trump lies cheetos stained and pissed on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

haveblue posted:

Where else is Christie gonna go after he's kicked out of the NJ governor's mansion?

To an all you can eat buffet.

Edit reminder : Donnie's 1st(2nd?) campaign manager faked repairs on Donnie's plane so Donnie couldn't pick Fatass as VP.

A Russian Spy thought "Even that guy is too radioactive right now."

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 7, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

InfiniteZero posted:

Honest question (and I know being rational isn't a normal thing for these folks) but how do they have a problem with this but no problem with having had a string of wives, including the fact that the current one is clearly not really into filling the tradition role of being a wife (like for example being in the same room with him for any significant amount of time)?

Also wouldn't the Billy Bush tape clearly demonstrate that he was down to gently caress (or whatever the hell that toad does) anything that would give him a chance?

When I think of evangelicals and their views on how marriage/relationships should work, I think about Pence.

Again: I'm seriously asking, not being a smart rear end.

People don't seem to vote on personal morality, otherwise feminists wouldn't have voted Bill Clinton. If you think about how feminists feel about Bill Clinton then you can figure out how evangelicals feel about Donald Trump.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If the pee tape is real, the earliest the Russians would release it is likely the day after Trump's re-election.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

InfiniteZero posted:

Honest question (and I know being rational isn't a normal thing for these folks) but how do they have a problem with this but no problem with having had a string of wives, including the fact that the current one is clearly not really into filling the tradition role of being a wife (like for example being in the same room with him for any significant amount of time)?

Also wouldn't the Billy Bush tape clearly demonstrate that he was down to gently caress (or whatever the hell that toad does) anything that would give him a chance?

When I think of evangelicals and their views on how marriage/relationships should work, I think about Pence.

1. They don't think about it as much as possible. The current cognitive dissonance in the Republican evangelicals is enormous.

2. Forgiveness theology. Trump made a token "I'm a Christian!" effort last year. Evangelicals believe that one can sin as much as you want and the instant you convert, everything before that wasn't important, doesn't count, you're a new person now. (To deal with apostacy, or falling away from the faith, various groups believe in different things - some say if you sin after salvation, you were never saved. Some say that you must ask for forgiveness again. Some say that your salvation wasn't your choice, but God's, and if you lose your faith - too bad, you're still saved and going to heaven). By Trump giving his token "I'm a new Christian now!" talk, he isn't that person he was anymore to most Evangelicals. Proof he assaulted a woman NOW would be a problem, but for many Evangelicals, as long as he "repented" of that sin, he'd be cool again.

3. An important piece of American Evangelical Christian Politics is a firmly held belief that Government Does Not Count. A lot of language in the Bible talks about a division between things "of God" and "of the world". Government things are, by many Evangelicals, considered to be fully "of the world", and you basically then handwave away all your Christian principles if the government does it, such as saying that the government shouldn't feed/clothe the poor, because that is the job of the church. Similarly, some percentages of Evangelicals say that Trump's morality doesn't matter, because he's a government leader, which means secular, and therefore his moral fiber is immaterial to his position. They also point to numerous times in the Bible that God used non-religious leaders to accomplish his goals (ignoring the fact that most of those leaders accomplished his goals by murdering a shitload of God's people).

Anyway, those are the big three I can think of. Pisstape won't shake anyone in 3, only a (probably small) percentage of 2, but it would keep American Evangelicals from being able to pull #1 and just ignore that it happened. This would cause a defection from a depressingly small, but enough to doom his prospects, percentage of Evangelicals.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

saintonan posted:

Trump's overall approval is irrelevant. The only number that matters is his approval among Republicans. As long as that remains high, nothing is going to happen. Republicans still fear being primaried more than any Democratic opposition.

But that is going down, especially if you allow republicans to say they they "approve" but don't "strongly approve" (disapproving would mean agreeing with democrats and is a big step).

It has a long way to go of course but it is moving in the right direction.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Spacebump posted:

If the pee tape is real, the earliest the Russians would release it is likely the day after Trump's re-election.

If Trump still does everything he can to help Russia, then it won't be released while he's in office. After that, Russia will still want to make use of private citizen billionaire Trump.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BarbarianElephant posted:

People don't seem to vote on personal morality, otherwise feminists wouldn't have voted Bill Clinton. If you think about how feminists feel about Bill Clinton then you can figure out how evangelicals feel about Donald Trump.

There is two viable parties in the US, you vote one or you vote the other

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

InfiniteZero posted:

Same reason it's a live boy but a dead girl. The less something undermines the power structure they're invested in, the easier it is to rationalize.

...yeah, I then quoted that and the other tweets because it looked like I might be wrong.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is two viable parties in the US, you vote one or you vote the other

Yep. That's how they feel about it. Feminists were hardly going to vote Republican, so they dealt with the fact that Bill wouldn't win any feminist prizes. Evangelicals are hardly going to vote Democrat, so they deal with Trump's issues.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

there's an insurrection in brownbekistan, tax-raising terrorists have seized the legislature: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.9136da7853d0

is this the beginning of a red spring :ohdear:

quote:

The legislation undoes the essential components of Brownback's reforms. The governor had reduced the number of brackets for the state's marginal rates on income from three to two. The legislature will restore the third bracket, increasing taxes on the state's wealthiest residents from 4.6 percent to 5.2 percent this year and 5.7 percent next year.

quote:

Finally, the legislature eliminated a cut Brownback had put in place to help small businesses. Analysts said that the provision had become a loophole, as many Kansans were able to avoid paying taxes entirely by pretending to be small businesses.

Holy poo poo. A series of multiple, NON-regressive tax hikes from REPUBLICAN lawmakers in MOTHERLUVIN' KANSAS??! :psyboom:

ice cream snakes
Dec 8, 2008

saintonan posted:

Trump's overall approval is irrelevant. The only number that matters is his approval among Republicans. As long as that remains high, nothing is going to happen. Republicans still fear being primaried more than any Democratic opposition.

This is exactly right. Until new, as yet unreleased information comes out that directly and unequivocally ties Donald Trump to a high crime he's going to continue to have the support of the base, which means he has the support of GOP congressmen.

538.com posted:

For now, reluctant Trumpers are mostly sitting tight on their support for the president... Seventy-four percent of reluctant Trump voters approve of the president’s performance overall; that’s right where the number was in April. By comparison, 96 percent of the president’s more enthused base approve of the job he’s doing, which also shows no significant change.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-trumps-least-enthusiastic-voters-feel-about-him-now/

Is there any good date on the correlation between level of support and likelihood to vote? I'd assume that tepid support leads to more people deciding to stay home and in a close election that small group of reluctant Trump voters might be enough to sway some key states.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

DLC Inc posted:

so my take on this thing is that Comey really doesn't have anything concrete or enough to cause waves, is that correct

Yep, I will not use the phrase that is probatable but your take is correct.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

so my take on this thing is that Comey really doesn't have anything concrete or enough to cause waves, is that correct

Other than the sworn testimony of an FBI agent that the President attempted to obstruct justice, that's about it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

InfiniteZero posted:

evangelicals did not get into politics due to things like abortion etc they got into politics due to racism (the government was going to take away the tax status of their phony universities if they didn't integrate). evangelicals went all-in on a thrice married, serial adulterer who's definitely an atheist because he was overtly racist and that's what matters to them.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

also, it's not a vhs tape, it's a flash drive

The Pee USB 2.0 Cruzer is real.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ice cream snakes posted:

This is exactly right. Until new, as yet unreleased information comes out that directly and unequivocally ties Donald Trump to a high crime he's going to continue to have the support of the base, which means he has the support of GOP congressmen.

I feel like republicans spend almost no time talking about how powerful and strong and beloved and representative of true american values democrats are but man do democrats love to remind everyone over and over that republicans represent america and are very strong and good at everything and powerful

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Right wing evangelicals are full of poo poo, news at eleven.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

Holy poo poo. A series of multiple, NON-regressive tax hikes from REPUBLICAN lawmakers in MOTHERLUVIN' KANSAS??! :psyboom:

Blood, stone. Kansas literally has no choice but to raise revenue precisely because of their insane tax cuts. Like, it's not progressive legislation, it's regressing a little bit toward the mean.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/872560833490030592

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i mean they're right.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean they're right.

Will Trump allow the incompetence defense to fly?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like republicans spend almost no time talking about how powerful and strong and beloved and representative of true american values democrats are but man do democrats love to remind everyone over and over that republicans represent america and are very strong and good at everything and powerful

It's time for. A change

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kramdar posted:

The Pee USB 2.0 Cruzer is real.
Western Digital getting lots of mileage out of the Sandisk acquisition :capitalism:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Okay fine, but we have to let off every criminal who ever said, "But I didn't know...."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidjoa...%3D2608%23pti18 He believes he is safe.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

basically it turns out that after about five years even kansas notices when you gave all of the state's money to the rich and nothing works anymore

plus the tax raises are good ones because they're just reversing his tax cuts, since that's the most palatable thing for the rebel republicans rather than their own set of tax hikes

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 7, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Ironically Trump is too stupid and incompetent to effectively use an incompetence defense. He HAS TO brag even when it hurts him politically (e.g. YEAH I FIRED COMEY IT WAS ALL ME WHAT OF IT?!)

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
e: redundant, too slow

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/872547482240241665

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/heerjeet/status/872552449927634944

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mr Interweb posted:

It's that's or the schools don't open this year.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

OhFunny posted:

It's that's or the schools don't open this year.

Surprised they didn't go for that option.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

no, his lawyer managed to talk him into letting the lawyer issue a statement and bored him into not asking what it was

it doesn't mean anything when one of his subordinates say something

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Truth no longer exists.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
If Trump actually believed he was safe, he would be tweeting about it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ha "Trump believes he is innocent says man paid large sums of money to try to legally prove that fact."

Like... no loving poo poo the lawyer would say that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BonoMan posted:

Ha "Trump believes he is innocent says man paid large sums of money to try to legally prove that fact."

Like... no loving poo poo the lawyer would say that.

the lawyer's main job is to prevent trump from further incriminating himself, which is why this is coming from the lawyer and he's not letting trump anywhere near his twitter account to say it himself

fortunately donny keeps finding where they hid it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ice cream snakes posted:

Why do you think that direct evidence of a "high crime" would be enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
So did he break laws or norms this round?

• Locked thread