Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have I mentioned how much Indiana sucks?

Pride Month Walking Dead variants. I caught him as he was unbagging a third copy. I called the police on my phone as I followed him out of the store, they arrived before he could get to his car. They said he could pay for the damage or they'd write him a $200 vandalism ticket. He's also banned from the property for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Pride Month Walking Dead variants. I caught him as he was unbagging a third copy. I called the police on my phone as I followed him out of the store, they arrived before he could get to his car. They said he could pay for the damage or they'd write him a $200 vandalism ticket. He's also banned from the property for life.

What a loving piece of poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

That sucks, but it also seems weird to me for The Walking Dead of all comics to have a Pride month alternative cover. Maybe it's changed, but I quit reading after the first trade or two partially because of how annoyingly heternormative it was.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pride covers are line wide.

edit: I quit a while ago, but I remember gay couples in TWD.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WTF at your customer AND that cover jeez what

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Synthbuttrange posted:

WTF at your customer AND that cover jeez what

He wasn't a customer. There is a group called the "Fort Wayne Christian Coalition" and this is the 4th time in recent memory that they have sent someone into damage or steal comics with homosexual content. It just dawned on me that there were a bunch of new faces looking for the Planned Parenthood covers but you couldn't even tell that those were special covers.

Over the last 6 years I have had people come in and try to steal or destroy (and when that fails buy every copy) of Earth 2 #2 (gay Alan Scott), All New X-Men #36 (gay Iceman), the PP covers and now this Pride cover. I'm just going to avoid this entirely and put them all behind the counter.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhyno posted:

Over the last 6 years I have had people come in and try to steal or destroy (and when that fails buy every copy) of Earth 2 #2 (gay Alan Scott), All New X-Men #36 (gay Iceman), the PP covers and now this Pride cover. I'm just going to avoid this entirely and put them all behind the counter.
Can you return unsold issues?

You could call their bluff, is what I'm saying. With ten thousand copies of their next target.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

Can you return unsold issues?

You could call their bluff, is what I'm saying. With ten thousand copies of their next target.

Only on rare occasion. Like with Rebirth but nobody cared about Batwoman this time around.

I've tried to reason with these people but they will not listen. They are convinced that comic books are for children and that they must protect the children.

Fun Fact: the closest I have ever come to an assault charge involved the head of their ministry.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't know how you make a gay pride cover for a zombie comic, but I do know that's definitely not it. Sucks that people have to be assholes about it, in any case.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah destroying comics and private property is just like... What the gently caress man?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Talked to my coworkers, a couple was in last night and they INSISTED that we remove the remaining copies from view because "a child might buy that."

Yeah because we sell 17+ rated books to children every goddamned day.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How much of a loser do you have to be to go destroy some comic books?

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

poisoned by cowboy killers

Rhyno posted:

i live in central indiana and the amount of bullshit ive heard from people complaining about "gays shoving their sexuality in my face" poo poo over the years is unreal. i mean, most people are well-intentioned and accepting where i live (even though its an extremely small town of like <2000) but anyone that doesn't want to be seeing stuff like pride comic covers or lgbt representation in movies just loves to spout off about it to anyone who won't tell them to shut the gently caress up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

How much of a loser do you have to be to go destroy some comic books?

He looked like his parents were siblings.

Edit: Please don't share this outside of BSS for now, my boss told me we are working on a legal response to the FWCC's continued behavior. It's difficult because they are not an actual church nor do they have a headquarters, they meet in public places or private homes so there's no legal entity to approach.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 8, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hopefully they never get their hands on Seduction of the Innocent, as it makes the claim Batman and Robin are more Topman and Bottom. God drat Wertham, you Comstocking rear end.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
That really sucks, Rhyno. Just remember there are more good folks than bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

That really sucks, Rhyno. Just remember there are more good folks than bad.

True, just not in Indiana.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay, enough hate (until the next pride cover anyways) let's talk about Marvel's bullshit saome more!

As you may recall, I posted a cap from my invoice that showed the free copies of All New Guardians #2. I'm not going to go into details (mostly because I didn't do the homework) but it has been verified that Marvel counts the overship copies as part of the overall copies sold. For those that do not know, Diamond tracks copies sold as the number of copies ordered by the direct market, not actual number of copies purchases in the stores. Anyways, in previous instances when I have brought this up there has been some disbelief. Well hopefully this helps convince those who doubt.

There you go. We ordered 12 copies of ANG #3, advance reordered 7 more and they send us TWENTY-NINE additional copies at no charge. This incredibly odd practice is a major part of how Marvel keeps their market share lead over DC. A vocal long time retailer has been making some waves with this information. He polled 100 shops and found different overages all over the country. For the third Wednesday in May he accounted for over 3000 overshipped Marvel comics. And that was just a tiny poll from a small chunk of the market. He figures Marvel might be overshipping 10,000 books a week across an array of Diamond accounts just to pump their numbers.

It's mind boggling.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why would stores possibly complain about this practice?

You're getting free stuff that you can give away as promotional material or sell for essentially pure profit. What's the big deal?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jordan7hm posted:

Why would stores possibly complain about this practice?

You're getting free stuff that you can give away as promotional material or sell for essentially pure profit. What's the big deal?

Beyond it being an incredibly lovely business practice to essentially make the company look better than it is? a lot of the times they don't sell, they're just chaff. The other issue is that by overshipping books to prop up numbers, Marvel isn't letting the public decide which books it actually likes, which ones it doesn't, and what the fans want.

If you overship a book that everyone is going to buy, then that's one thing. If you're going to overship Mosaic #2, then you're going to have 50 issues of toilet paper.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure marvel actually knows how many of their books are being given away for free even if Diamond doesn't and tha information is part of what drives their decisions to keep or cancel books.

On the other hand this is an industry where retailers make a fuss when they get free product so who knows.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Onmi posted:

Beyond it being an incredibly lovely business practice to essentially make the company look better than it is? a lot of the times they don't sell, they're just chaff. The other issue is that by overshipping books to prop up numbers, Marvel isn't letting the public decide which books it actually likes, which ones it doesn't, and what the fans want.

If you overship a book that everyone is going to buy, then that's one thing. If you're going to overship Mosaic #2, then you're going to have 50 issues of toilet paper.

They sell. We sell them for a dollar, and it gets people to check out a book they don't normally buy. That new issue of Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty cool too.

Or the books get donated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah we like free poo poo, it's cool. But it's shady and petty of Marvel to count them as sold copies. And it's worth discussing because Marvel threw a shitfit because DC was moving so many books through subscription boxes and Marvel demanded those copies not count towards overall sales. And now they are not counted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Onmi posted:

How is it not letting people decide which books they actually like? Diamond may count overshipped books for their sales numbers, but I'm sure Marvel isn't dumb enough to think that if they ship 3000 free copies of a book that it means they're getting 3000 extra sales.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Diamond is complicit in this (which is also puzzling) but Marvel supplies Diamond with the "promotional" copies to send to shops. Again, it's all about maintaining a bullshit market share over DC. David Gabriel called the Rebirth returnability an unfair gimmick and a stunt. A stunt that lead to massive sales, much higher than Marvel's post SW relaunch. So in the last two years Marvel's main method of fighting off DC's advancing numbers is to cheat.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

How is it not letting people decide which books they actually like? Diamond may count overshipped books for their sales numbers, but I'm sure Marvel isn't dumb enough to think that if they ship 3000 free copies of a book that it means they're getting 3000 extra sales.

Look I'm not gonna lie I just looked up some article from 2012 talking about the issue back then in an effort to sound smart.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Returnability is different from giving away copies though.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Do comics sold through Loot Crate still count as sold on the Diamond charts? Or did Marvel say that was cheating as well?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tato posted:

Do comics sold through Loot Crate still count as sold on the Diamond charts? Or did Marvel say that was cheating as well?

I think Rhino just said they're no longer counted because of Marvel throwing a fit about how unfair it was.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Seems like it would be more fair, considering at the very least Loot Crate/subscribers paid money for those comics rather than them being sent to shops for free, even if they didn't deliberately choose that comic. At least a "sale" took place.

Man, the comics industry is weird.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But didn't Marvel count those as well like when Loot Crate threw in an issue of Rocket Raccoon one month and the charts showed that book moving like 300k?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Onmi posted:

I think Rhino just said they're no longer counted because of Marvel throwing a fit about how unfair it was.

Correct. Batman #1 (Rebirth) was in some sub box and they distributed an unholy fuckload of copies and Marvel cried foul, that those copies were not actually sold.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine the purpose of all of this is to support a stock price, because if it came out that Marvel was actually #2, that might ding Disney. It is not impossible they would lose more money having their shares drop three percent or whatever, than they would lose literally giving their comics away.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Nessus posted:

I imagine the purpose of all of this is to support a stock price, because if it came out that Marvel was actually #2, that might ding Disney. It is not impossible they would lose more money having their shares drop three percent or whatever, than they would lose literally giving their comics away.

I imagine it has more to do with ESPN's Disney order cost cutting and the resulting hemorrhaging of talent. Marvel knows what's coming if they miss a target so anything they can do to keep the House of Ideas afloat.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
How many copies of the Mockingbird feminist cover did you lose?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sbaldrick posted:

How many copies of the Mockingbird feminist cover did you lose?

We were down to 3 copies of the book by then and two were pre-orders so uh, none.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today a kid stole part of my lunch!

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

You can't say that without details

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not that exciting, just the weirdest thing to happen in months.

I take a lot of small snacks to work with me so I can nibble all day. I had a bag of frosted mini wheats with me today. I opened the bag, ate two of them and then sat them on the counter behind a pile of comics and went to help a customer. I came back and they were gone. I was puzzled, looked for them and didn't see them. I thought my coworker was loving with me and then I saw a kid (maybe 10 or so) walking behind his parents as they left, eating my goddamned mini wheats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Kid's got nary a gently caress to give. Stone cold.

• Locked thread