Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lord Crapulus posted:

Everything about that interview makes sense (and I'm sure that Honda is just loving all the slagging off they're getting), but this turn of phrase is really bothering me: "A year in Formula One is an eternity. Three years is a decade."

Honda's indy effort (which is a different division mind you), has had engine problems, but they're still racking up wins with four different drivers across four different teams (Bourdais/Coyne, Hinch/Peterson, Sato/Andretti, Rahal/RLL). A friend figured that maybe Indy could have been the ultimate straw, or could have been a small factor in the end.

Then again, Honda went to the Indy teams and said "Reliability or power, pick one" and everyone said power.

Sort of paying off now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Honda's Indy engine problems are ultimately irrelevant (well besides disappointing Nando) since enough of them last to keep getting wins and lead Chevy in the manufacturer standings, even with Ganassi missing from your winners list so far. If the question had been "reliability or power but with F1 reliability" the answer would've been very different. Amazing to me how far McLaren has fallen, and short of those Mercedes pullout rumors coming through and McLaren being their works team again, I don't see how they become contenders again.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

1500quidporsche posted:

2018 McLaren TAG Porsche WDC Fernando Alonso. :cumpolice::siren:

My heart longs for this.

I'd buy all available merchandise on day 1 :homebrew:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I don't see Mercedes going anywhere as a team. I do see them selling more engines.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Norns posted:

In master stroke Zac Brown brings cosworth back to indy and f1.

1500quidporsche posted:

2018 McLaren TAG Porsche WDC Fernando Alonso. :cumpolice::siren:

2018 Mclaren Porsche F1 WDC AND McLaren Cosworth Indy 500 winner Fernando Alonso

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

1500quidporsche posted:

I sincerely hope Comey walks in tomorrow, slaps a Betamax onto the table and then walks out.

Every morning I wake up and open palm slap a Betamax into the slot. It's the Piss Tape and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside with the main character, Trump.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

1500quidporsche posted:

I sincerely hope Comey walks in tomorrow, slaps a Betamax onto the table and then walks out.

I would love for the senate investigative committee to walk in tomorrow, and there's just a movie projector and screen set up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:nws:

(a modernized Ferrari 312, for the record)

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Odd looking replica of the 312. The exhaust work looks terrible compared to the real thing. Not a fan.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

Odd looking replica of the 312. The exhaust work looks terrible compared to the real thing. Not a fan.

Doesn't help that they went from a V12 to a V8, despite that V8 probably making more HP than that V12 did.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

iospace posted:

:nws:

(a modernized Ferrari 312, for the record)

Would

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Ew a mere 8 cylinders?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Ew a mere 8 cylinders?

Seriously, what is this? *googles poorest country in the world* The Democratic Republic of Congo???

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Seriously, what is this? *googles poorest country in the world* The Democratic Republic of Congo???

That's Dr. Congo to you, sir.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Watching the IOM TT 3 riders have died already and not even half way through

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

djssniper posted:

Watching the IOM TT 3 riders have died already and not even half way through

Real Racing.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Bikers continue to prove they are insane and the IOM will always thrive on their sacrifice.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

If you havn't watched 'Closer to the Edge' you need to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihH5uDUaqRE&t=62s

Mark Webber watching John McGuiness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCJyWWy-cBE

djssniper fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 8, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress yeah Mr Zak Brown. Enough is enough. Even I, who bask in the English tears and failure of their 'great' teams, am sick of seeing McLaren suck such rear end.

Drop those fuckers. Nando will never drive for Ferrari or Mercedes, but he shouldn't need to.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNXCJt7K3Q

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
http://en.f1i.com/news/270174-jordan-mercedes-will-pull-plug-2018.html

Ireland's famous oracle, the colorful Eddie Jordan, has delivered his latest prediction: Mercedes will quit F1 at the ed of the 2018 season!
The former team owner and TV pundit actually enjoys a pretty good track record when it comes to forecasting F1's events.

what the gently caress eddie?

"I think they will go for the titles this and next year and then the board of directors in Stuttgart will decide to sell the team and stay only as an engine maker.
"I would do the same," Jordan added.
"Because Mercedes have won everything and can only get worse from now. So it's better to go back to their old core business in Formula 1, which is developing and delivering high tech engines."

I dont think I put too much weight in this, but this is the final answer to the 'buy why why why does Ferrari automatically get more money than everyone else?'. Because they're not fair-weather fuckfaces and it hurts the sport when a brand gains a following and then in a clinical corporate decision they pull the programme. Nobody actually really understands how hard it is to stay in F1 for the long term except Ferrari, if what eddie says is true then both RBR and Merc are just flash-in-the-pan teams that have a run of success when they fluke the right chassis/engine combo but are not going concerns. A step away from BraunGP really and if you want to play that game he always wins with his perfect 1 from 1 record.

Why does every driver dream of driving the red car at least once? Because Ferrari IS Formula One. Mercedes is many times bigger than Ferrari, makes multiple times it's revenue and employs tens of thousands more people, but Ferrari will never leave F1 because loving PASSION

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 8, 2017

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

So if Mclaren switch engine suppliers mid season (not happening) do they get to have their maximum number of engines used per season reset as its a different supplier!?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
haha those were Hondas, nah they dont count. that wouldnt be fair

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

Why does every driver dream of driving the red car at least once? Because Ferrari IS Formula One.

No wonder f1 is so poo poo.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Actually, you'll find F1 to be Williams. A true bred racing team with a no non-sense attitude and the Adam Parr years never happened-but-we're-grateful-for-the-financial-upturn-and-the-Toyota-years-really-loving-sucked.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I will never ever tire of Tony's avatar.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yep all those Williams engines won so many races. Perfect definition of what a garagista is. You bolt poo poo together built by other people.

Also F1 is loving awesome this year, best year in a long, long time and part of why it's so awesome is when you watch pretty much any UK produced F1 media from the last 20 years the self-congratulatory poo poo seems so ridiculous now. All that needed to happen was lets stop using engines designed a million years ago - end of British F1 dominance.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

Also F1 is loving awesome this year, best year in a long, long time

Really shows how far F1 has fallen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Yep all those Williams engines won so many races. Perfect definition of what a garagista is. You bolt poo poo together built by other people.

Also F1 is loving awesome this year, best year in a long, long time and part of why it's so awesome is when you watch pretty much any UK produced F1 media from the last 20 years the self-congratulatory poo poo seems so ridiculous now. All that needed to happen was lets stop using engines designed a million years ago - end of British F1 dominance.

It's the best season in like five years at most.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Privateer teams leave when they have to, manufacturer teams leave when they want to. Just because Ferrari hasn't done it yet doesn't mean they never will.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ferrari will never leave.

It might not be a super season for you wicka, but I can assure you I'm more invested in this one that any I can remember in recent history. Ferrari fans are sorta loyal like that, because our team is loyal to us and won't leave

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

2012 was literally better than this season in every imaginable way, sorry.

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica

Lord Crapulus posted:

Privateer teams leave when they have to, manufacturer teams leave when they want to. Just because Ferrari hasn't done it yet doesn't mean they never will.

I don't want to live in a world without Ferrari in F1.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

2012 was literally better than this season in every imaginable way, sorry.

youre probably right, but mine isn't an objective measurement or anything. It's because Ferrari is my team and they'll never abandon me and they'll never turn to complete poo poo because they come from a place where they have the technical ability to build entire cars

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

youre probably right, but mine isn't an objective measurement or anything. It's because Ferrari is my team and they'll never abandon me and they'll never turn to complete poo poo because they come from a place where they have the technical ability to build entire cars

On the other hand, their biggest weakness is organizational incompetence.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No, I disagree. It's not incompetence so much as culture. That's another part of it, they do it their way which is often nothing like the way a UK or US team and they still get results. Part of it is a lot of what I've said here, there is so much passion and emotion and history in Ferrari there can be a problem with groupthink and sticking your neck out. Also personal culture, Italians talk to each other differently to English speakers and that would translate into how they make decisions on a raceday and sure, sometimes you see them do something that makes you scratch your head.

No team that has been here for that long with that much success is incompetent.

That culture is also their greatest asset. Its a double-edged sword.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

No, I disagree. It's not incompetence so much as culture. That's another part of it, they do it their way which is often nothing like the way a UK or US team and they still get results. Part of it is a lot of what I've said here, there is so much passion and emotion and history in Ferrari there can be a problem with groupthink and sticking your neck out. Also personal culture, Italians talk to each other differently to English speakers and that would translate into how they make decisions on a raceday and sure, sometimes you see them do something that makes you scratch your head.

Put a dollar in the jar.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tony Montana posted:

That culture is also their greatest asset. Its a double-edged sword.

Yeah but they were only good when they were run by an Englishman and a German driver.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Go back. Ferrari won plenty more than the Schumy years.

Anyways, all this leads me to one of my totally favorite scenes in Rush, because even as a Ferrari fan I have to laugh how loving pompous they can be about the 'holy brand'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVlyGejQSi0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ferrari are still here while lots of the British fraud teams like Brabham, Lotus, Tyrrell, Arrows, and BRM are gone. Williams nearly died too. The Scud is a tight ship.

• Locked thread