Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Grass is worthless. If you have bad trees then get rid of them but don't get rid of trees just because you want some stupid loving grass that's a terrible idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Trees own, grass is dumb.

The plumber who installed the water heater came by today and basically added an air vent to the to the condensate drain pipe so it shotguns water out. Water Heater started working again immediately. On to the next one for home ownership - which I guess is getting serious in the battle against dog hair. BRING ME ALL OF THE ROOMBAS.

Replaced each of the A/C filters with super dog dander removing filters that are expensive - don't care if makes my life a bit dog hair less. I would shave the dog, but he is 14 and I can't have him leave this mortal coil all shaven like a dog cancer patient for my convenience, his beautiful coat will remain! Even replacing the filters was a bit of an adventure, 12 ft ceilings sound great and look great when buying, not so much for maintenance, I'm the proud owner of a big rear end new ladder.

Anyway - the question being for those of you with shaggy dogs, how have you chosen to battle the fur? Or have you resigned yourself to a lifetime covered in dog hair?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Old trees are amazing. Can't think of anything I'd rather have more in a landscape.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Sab0921 posted:

Replaced each of the A/C filters with super dog dander removing filters that are expensive - don't care if makes my life a bit dog hair less.
Those allergen filters are actually a very bad idea, the high airflow resistance means much less air moves through the system. This makes it less efficient, can damage the system, and means your air doesn't get cleaned effectively. A basic MERV7 pleated filter will catch all the dog hair and other large dust particles without reducing airflow. If your system uses thicker filters (4") you can afford up to MERV12 filtration, but for 1" filters especially it's extremely important to only use low-resistance filters. Nordic Pure offers a pretty wide selection of filters at great prices.

Overall though, dog hair should be settling out of the air onto the floor pretty quickly, so will be picked up with your regular vacuuming. If you sweep instead of vacuuming, then get a vacuum and stop living in filth!

Alereon fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 5, 2017

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Anyway - the question being for those of you with shaggy dogs, how have you chosen to battle the fur? Or have you resigned yourself to a lifetime covered in dog hair?

Embrace your dog hair overlord. You can vacuum/sweep/swifter/lint roll and try to keep up with brush outs and try every "anti-shedding" supplement they have at whatever pet store you frequent but it won't change anything.

:getin:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Use a broom IMO, then follow up with vacuuming if necessary. I have a super-sheddy dog and if I just vacuum then the vacuum's bag fills absurdly quickly.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Use a broom IMO, then follow up with vacuuming if necessary. I have a super-sheddy dog and if I just vacuum then the vacuum's bag fills absurdly quickly.

We thought we did a good job at our apartment keeping up with the dog hair with sweeping and a cordless Dyson that we would run once a day. When we moved out we realized that the hair settled in every square inch of the house it possibly could. I think Im going to get a Roomba and set it to run twice a day or something.

Alereon posted:

Nordic Pure offers a pretty wide selection of filters at great prices.

Not sure how I feel about about a store called Nordic Pure. :hitler:

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 5, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Higgy posted:

Embrace your dog hair overlord. You can vacuum/sweep/swifter/lint roll and try to keep up with brush outs and try every "anti-shedding" supplement they have at whatever pet store you frequent but it won't change anything.

:getin:

Homeownership: Embrace your dog hair overlord

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If your filter is reducing airflow to much you just need a bigger surface area filter.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Or a more powerful ventilation system? Is that a thing?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

We thought we did a good job at our apartment keeping up with the dog hair with sweeping and a cordless Dyson that we would run once a day. When we moved out we realized that the hair settled in every square inch of the house it possibly could. I think Im going to get a Roomba and set it to run twice a day or something.

Not sure how I feel about about a store called Nordic Pure. :hitler:

I have owned a roomba and while I have cats not dogs, this plan of yours is going to not work. Every time the roomba runs you have to open it up and dump out the container and then use tools to remove hair wrapped around the spinning thingy and use the special brushes to clean it etc. Meanwhile you'll have to keep your floors clutter-free so they don't get stuck somewhere and even then they'll probably get stuck somewhere.

The things seem like they'll be huge time savers but the reality is you'll spend almost as much time taking care of them as you would just vacuuming normally.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Leperflesh posted:

I have owned a roomba and while I have cats not dogs, this plan of yours is going to not work. Every time the roomba runs you have to open it up and dump out the container and then use tools to remove hair wrapped around the spinning thingy and use the special brushes to clean it etc. Meanwhile you'll have to keep your floors clutter-free so they don't get stuck somewhere and even then they'll probably get stuck somewhere.

The things seem like they'll be huge time savers but the reality is you'll spend almost as much time taking care of them as you would just vacuuming normally.

Roombas are great if you hate vaccuming and love pulling hair out of filthy gears.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Hubis posted:

Roombas are great if you hate vaccuming and love pulling hair out of filthy gears.

The best part of the Roomba is when it runs over a turd and turns a little accident into a Jackson Pollock painting.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I will say though, the scooba is cool. Unlike the roomba if you're just mopping in a room that is already swept regularly, like say a kitchen: fewer obstacles to get stuck behind, and mostly you just dump out the tanks and fill the tanks. Way less annoying maintenance and it's nice to schedule it to mop during a time when the floor can dry for an hour without any foot traffic going through.

The disadvantage at least with the scooba we have is that it doesn't really scrub horrible stuff off the floor, like it is not going to help if someone stepped on a raisin last week and it's been stuck in the grout between two tiles since then. For light mopping it works great but you will still need to own a good scrubby mop to use occasionally.

Lately I've been eyeballing those standup combo steam cleaner/vacuum cleaner things. I want one that does both carpets and hardwood floors.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Woof Blitzer posted:

So for anyone not saving money each month for repairs... I just had to loan a parent $4000 to get a new dishwasher and water heater. Plan for that poo poo.

$4000?? :vince:

I did both in the last year, got nice higher end appliances, and spent under $1300 altogether

Sab0921 posted:

Thread - you better be right, Speed Queen stackable set was delivered today. Hope it was worth the premium.

Be sure to check back in 25 years and let us know!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Congrats you don't have to worry about your laundry appliance for 30 years next problem. I wish everything in housing had an answer like that

You still have to worry about the hoses failing anf flooding your basement every five-seven years though. I think flood check hoses are guaranteed for that kind of time period though.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The best part of the Roomba is when it runs over a turd and turns a little accident into a Jackson Pollock painting.

I feel like the turd content of my floor is minimal, but I take your point.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 6, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sab0921 posted:

This is more an issue for those with small children or elderly/poorly-trained/sick pets.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If turds are sitting around on your floor long enough that the daily roomba run smears them around then the goddamn vacuum is the last problem in your life.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

If turds are sitting around on your floor long enough that the daily roomba run smears them around then the goddamn vacuum is the last problem in your life.

this is someone who has never owned a cat.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hubis posted:

Pretty sure one of my ex's cats pooped directly in front of the oncoming roomba, once.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

What's even the point of owning a home if you don't poo poo on the floor?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Hubis posted:

Truth. Also don't forget cat vomit/hairballs.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Hubis posted:

Jesus christ, if your cat is making GBS threads on the floor it is sick or you are neglecting it, go see a vet. I shouldn't have to type this out, how are you this clueless?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Jesus christ, if your cat is making GBS threads on the floor it is sick or you are neglecting it, go see a vet. I shouldn't have to type this out, how are you this clueless?

I am a vet, but please, tell me more about how cats getting poop on the floor (which sometimes happens even if they intended for it to be in the box) and vomiting hairballs are signs of neglect. FWIW, all of the anecdotes I've heard of roombas making pet messes worse come from veterinarian friends--this may just be because a significant proportion of my friends are vets, but I still wouldn't recommend one for someone with indoor animals without mentioning the possibility.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Dr. Chaco posted:

I am a vet

I did an actual, soft "woot" when this was your response.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I put my cat in the fridge before I leave for work

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah one of my cats is a loving idiot who only sticks his rear end into the catbox, shits, and then charges away at full tilt.

Sometimes this process involves ejection of leftover turdlets :shrug:

Another of my cats is sufficiently vigorous with the digging in the catbox that sometimes she tosses a buried turd out onto the floor.

Basically cats are very clean and fastidious creatures and they're more or less instinctively housetrained as long as they know where a catbox is... but they're still just animals and they do not actually care if they get poo poo on your floor. The key to cat ownership is to clean that up immediately and thoroughly, and if you do actually have an incontinent cat or your cat is deliberately marking or making GBS threads where it shouldn't, there is a medical or behavior dysfunction that you need to address.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have two cat poop boxes side by side, my cat will only poo poo and pee in the one. I was told have one more poop boxes then cats so I do. I have no idea why it only uses the one poop box. That is my cat poop story.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah the number of cats + 1 rule really only comes into play if you have more than one cat or are super lazy about cleaning them.

Personally I have one box for two cats and have no problems but that's mostly luck I guess. :shrug:

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

I have two cat poop boxes side by side, my cat will only poo poo and pee in the one. I was told have one more poop boxes then cats so I do. I have no idea why it only uses the one poop box. That is my cat poop story.

The rule about multiple boxes really assumes the boxes are in different places. The idea is not just to have enough boxes that they are not constantly gross without constant cleaning, but also to give the cat choice of location, and in cases of multiple cats, reduce competition.

As to why he only uses one of the two, the only answer for most cat behavior questions is "it's a cat."

Edit: I might as well deliver my spiel on cats and litter boxes, as maximizing the chances of your cats happily choosing to use the boxes reliably is certainly a valid concern for homeowners.

1) Most cats prefer unscented clumping litter and uncovered litter boxes but cats are weird and YMMV so if you know your cat likes something specific, stick with that. What cats universally hate is change.

2) At least one box per cat so there is minimal competition or waiting for box-time; ideally one more than that. Each box should be in a different location, ideally a low-noise, low-traffic area. Putting three boxes in the noisy laundry room does you no good, neither does next to the dog's crate. Most cats also prefer the box not be next to their food/water (do you eat dinner in your bathroom?).

3) Scoop boxes daily (well, try for daily).

4) Report any changes in litter box habits to your vet sooner rather than later to prevent it becoming an issue of chronic litter box avoidance or serious medical issues. This includes frequency of use, significant change in size of litter clumps, diarrhea, and no longer using the box.

Dr. Chaco fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 8, 2017

Hubis
May 18, 2003

In all seriousness, over all the time we've had a roomba this has only happened like twice, both of which were actually the cat barfing on the floor somewhere while the roomba was running. It was mostly annoying and gross, but as a cat owner you get quickly inured to the gross factor. Regardless, even if it's not a common enough problem to be a real concern, it's sure as hell memorable and something that's going to stick out in your mind as a negative.

The real problem I have with it now is toddlers. Not pooping on the floor, but just leaving their toys everywhere. If I have to spend 10 minutes picking up blocks and toys before I can vacuum, I'd rather just spend the 10 minutes to actually vacuum myself rather than turn the roomba on and then just wait the hour staying out of its way while it bumbles around aimlessly (and ultimately does a less good job). In my experience roombas are great if you can run them every day, since otherwise there's usually more dirt than they can effectively get in one go. Once that becomes a hassle, though, they quickly loose their appeal.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Jesus christ, if your cat is making GBS threads on the floor

About a year ago my cat began the puzzling ritual of making GBS threads directly in front of his litter box in the same spot. If I see him getting ready and tell him to go in the box, he complains loudly and then does it. He always pisses in the box.

I keep the box clean, and he's been to the vet about it and he's fine. If he stays with someone else when I'm out of town he only shits in the box, even though they don't really clean it.

Animals are weird.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Totally thought this was the catchat thread for a minute. You guys should go here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3169030 Although I suppose it's appropriate conversation in this thread too. I can't buy a roomba because of cat toys everywhere :saddowns:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Nail Rat posted:

About a year ago my cat began the puzzling ritual of making GBS threads directly in front of his litter box in the same spot. If I see him getting ready and tell him to go in the box, he complains loudly and then does it. He always pisses in the box.

I keep the box clean, and he's been to the vet about it and he's fine. If he stays with someone else when I'm out of town he only shits in the box, even though they don't really clean it.

Animals are weird.

same thing happens with our cat. doesn't seem to matter how clean we keep the box, and she's been checked by the vet multiple times. she just decided "I poo poo here now" instead.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Me too. Had no idea it was a common issue, but I haven't tried moving the litter box 4 inches that way yet

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

On an unrelated note, is it weird that I haven't memorized which light switches do what in 3.5 years of ownership?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CloFan posted:

On an unrelated note, is it weird that I haven't memorized which light switches do what in 3.5 years of ownership?

Switch em to match your expectations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CloFan posted:

I think it depends on how commonly you use those switches

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, that's way better than what I was looking at.

E: what the hell, ordered

Hey how'd these end up working out? I'm thinking about ordering as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Neighbors had a fence installed today. It's on their side of the property line and looks decently installed.

It's somewhere we were planning on putting a fence eventually, so woo free fence.