Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I just realised it would be hilarious if Moira Kelly showed up as Donna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I remember someone mentioned that Tami might be noticing that Danzigs prints are a mirror of coopers. I re-watched the scene, and noticed this:

Forgive me if it was mentioned already, but the text [9 L. Ring] is mirrored. Its not just the way it is on the form either because number 10 is normal. I'm not sure if Tami is literally noticing this same thing with the text, or its lynch signaling the viewer that the prints of the doppelganger mirror the original. Its very intentional though.

EDIT: Found another shot.

Its not just the text, the whole Left Ring Finger print on Danzig's sheet is mirrored, but only that one print. The others appear to match well enough.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 7, 2017

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Isn't that the finger the owl ring usually shows up on?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Yea, that was kinda the connection I made after I saw the second picture. I'm not sure why its Danzig's that would be mirrored though. Him wearing the ring does not make a lot of sense.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Extremely good analysis/idea of super vague scene though. I can buy it

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Kulkasha posted:

So is Becky Shelley and Bobby's kid?

Also is Richard Horne the daughter of blown-up Audrey and evil-Coop? :x

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Watching Twin Peaks (finally).

It is .

The teen drama is very '90s, though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Is/was Dougie a horcrux sort of thing? I'm rewatching the first four and I didn't ask this question to myself last time, and I feel like zoidberg here but that's obviously what Dougie was right? some weird spun-off golem of bob and coop whose sole existence was to trick whatever forces move things in and out of the lodge?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, the methods aren't clear and apparently Dougie was human enough to put together a life for himself, but that's the gist. Bob was due to be summoned back to the lodge and trade places with Coop, so he set up Dougie to swap with Coop instead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

eSporks posted:

This is reaching now, but the green light that signaled the liar is different then the lodge lights that signaled the jackpots. Green could represent Dougies coat and coop tapping into Dougies memories.

I actually wondered if that was just a visual representation for us of Agent Cooper's ability to read people swimming back up to the surface, if only momentarily. The first season of Twin Peaks was pretty good about showing that Coop could instantly tell if somebody was lying or telling the truth, he dismisses the idea of James or Bobby as Laura Palmer's killer almost immediately after meeting them.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

eSporks posted:

I remember someone mentioned that Tami might be noticing that Danzigs prints are a mirror of coopers. I re-watched the scene, and noticed this:

Forgive me if it was mentioned already, but the text [9 L. Ring] is mirrored. Its not just the way it is on the form either because number 10 is normal. I'm not sure if Tami is literally noticing this same thing with the text, or its lynch signaling the viewer that the prints of the doppelganger mirror the original. Its very intentional though.

Its not just the text, the whole Left Ring Finger print on Danzig's sheet is mirrored, but only that one print. The others appear to match well enough.

poo poo! Good catch man. I mentioned earlier that I wondered about other occurrences of voices being reversed like in episode 4, and in the SAME drat POST that I was wondering why Tammi Preston seemed especially indicated in BOB!Cooper's left hand-ring finger print, and comparing it to his left hand ring finger print before he went to the Lodge, and noticing something was wrong. But I didn't pick up on it being loving MIRRORED.

And yes, the left hand ring finger is both where the Black Lodge ring is always worn (at least by Teresa, Laura, Annie, and even the Nurse who stole it from Annie I think) and of course the "original" Dougie had it on his left ring finger where his wedding band should be, and the wedding band just turned up in the stomach of John Doe/Major Briggs in this episode.

So lots of stuffs about rings in this episode.

We got a phone here - it's got a little ring. :smug:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 7, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh, another thing - "The Cow Jumped Over the Moon" is a line from an old English nursery rhyme (primary - I'll get back to that) called "Hey Diddle Diddle". For info on it I suggest the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Diddle_Diddle

On the other hand, I believe that the line was a reference to the usage of the phrase "The cow jumped over the moon" from the book The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. Remember how incredibly important rings have become and continue to be in this series! The scene in question takes place very early on in the book (or early in the first movie, if you like) when Frodo (all-powerful One Ring in his pocket), Sam, Merry, and Pippin all arrive at Bree (a city of Hobbits and Men at the edge of the Wilderness) to meet with Gandalf, but end up meeting Strider/Aragorn instead.

There is also an incident where Frodo rather makes a spectacle of himself by standing on the table and singing a longer variation of "Hey Diddle Diddle" of Tolkien's. He sings it *twice* in fact, and at the end of the second rendition, upon singing the line "The Cow Jumped Over the Moon!" for the second time, Frodo himself jumps up off the table... and puts on his magic ring and vanishes, to the shock of everyone watching. They find ways to rationalize it later as Frodo shows up, and Aragorn soon drags him off and gives him poo poo about it.

But still, I'd go so far as to say beyond being nonsense, that scene in the Lord of the Rings (I don't think they were really true to it in the films) is the very first thing I thought of when EvilCoop said "The Cow Jumped Over the Moon." I just immediately thought, "Ah, there is an inn a merry olde inn where the brew a beer so brown..."

Anyway, it's probably a bit of nonsense, but to me the fact that it brought to mind THE LORD OF THE RINGS while staring at Cooper, with Cooper staring at me, felt eerie and purposeful given the significance of not just rings, but The Ring within this Twin Peaks universe.. *shrugs*

edit: And I want to add my increasing shock that people find DougieCoop largely funny. I mean, the scenes all have a certain amount of humor, especially the ones involving coffee, but I cannot be the only one who finds DougieCoop to be incredibly sad most of the time, especially on re-watch. Like the scene where he gets pushed and shoved out of the elevator and winds up alone, abandoned in his tasteless ill-fitting clothes, staring at a statue that (essentially) represents what he once was - an ace FBI agent and gunslinger.

Remember, Agent Cooper was rather preternaturally gifted at firing guns, supposedly; "I put two through the eyes and one up each nostril." "Nice pattern."

So given what it was, something about the image of this empty-looking old man in a green suit staring at a monument of what he once was is unbearably sad, and actually made me freakin' cry. I don't how much longer I'm going to find DougieCoop's emptiness funny.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 7, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dougie was funny in previous episodes but it's definitely sad as hell in the latest.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

kaworu posted:

Oh, another thing - "The Cow Jumped Over the Moon" is a line from an old English nursery rhyme (primary - I'll get back to that) called "Hey Diddle Diddle". For info on it I suggest the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Diddle_Diddle

On the other hand, I believe that the line was a reference to the usage of the phrase "The cow jumped over the moon" from the book The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. Remember how incredibly important rings have become and continue to be in this series! The scene in question takes place very early on in the book (or early in the first movie, if you like) when Frodo (all-powerful One Ring in his pocket), Sam, Merry, and Pippin all arrive at Bree (a city of Hobbits and Men at the edge of the Wilderness) to meet with Gandalf, but end up meeting Strider/Aragorn instead.

There is also an incident where Frodo rather makes a spectacle of himself by standing on the table and singing a longer variation of "Hey Diddle Diddle" of Tolkien's. He sings it *twice* in fact, and at the end of the second rendition, upon singing the line "The Cow Jumped Over the Moon!" for the second time, Frodo himself jumps up off the table... and puts on his magic ring and vanishes, to the shock of everyone watching. They find ways to rationalize it later as Frodo shows up, and Aragorn soon drags him off and gives him poo poo about it.

But still, I'd go so far as to say beyond being nonsense, that scene in the Lord of the Rings (I don't think they were really true to it in the films) is the very first thing I thought of when EvilCoop said "The Cow Jumped Over the Moon." I just immediately thought, "Ah, there is an inn a merry olde inn where the brew a beer so brown..."

Anyway, it's probably a bit of nonsense, but to me the fact that it brought to mind THE LORD OF THE RINGS while staring at Cooper, with Cooper staring at me, felt eerie and purposeful given the significance of not just rings, but The Ring within this Twin Peaks universe.. *shrugs*

edit: And I want to add my increasing shock that people find DougieCoop largely funny. I mean, the scenes all have a certain amount of humor, especially the ones involving coffee, but I cannot be the only one who finds DougieCoop to be incredibly sad most of the time, especially on re-watch. Like the scene where he gets pushed and shoved out of the elevator and winds up alone, abandoned in his tasteless ill-fitting clothes, staring at a statue that (essentially) represents what he once was - an ace FBI agent and gunslinger.

Remember, Agent Cooper was rather preternaturally gifted at firing guns, supposedly; "I put two through the eyes and one up each nostril." "Nice pattern."

So given what it was, something about the image of this empty-looking old man in a green suit staring at a monument of what he once was is unbearably sad, and actually made me freakin' cry. I don't how much longer I'm going to find DougieCoop's emptiness funny.

no

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Moon--a small planet, was thought to be made of cheese

Cheese--sometimes has holes in it

Holes--the same material rings are made out of

Cows--make cheese

Cheese--looks like a moon

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I was really expecting that Lord of the Rings rant to end with an ad for golden shovels.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

Moon--a small planet, was thought to be made of cheese

Cheese--sometimes has holes in it

Holes--the same material rings are made out of

Cows--make cheese

Cheese--looks like a moon

Making it a ring again.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
The cow jumped over the moon...

Cows make milk, milk makes cheese, some weirdos put cheese on top of... pie crust.

Owls hoot at the moon.

It all comes back to Twin Peaks... :tinfoil:

(jk Kaworu, I liked your read)

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Some folks think the statue is supposed to invoke Jimmy Stewart from "An FBI Story" which is 13 year old Dale Cooper's most prized possession in "MY Life, My Tapes: The Autobiography of Dale Cooper"

Maybe a coincidence but it does seem Coop is rediscovering a childhood awe/fascination with heroic figure. Tapping into the deepest wellspring of his being and the like.

I'm usually not into EU stuff but that book is interesting as it explores parts of Cooper's darker side and weird, repressed teenage sex fantasies which I think play into Mr.C's character and motivations. We see it a bit in the show as well, Cooper's fascination with the macabre and fallen woman but only allowing himself to experience that world as the prototypical 50's in-control, rational hero. Especially in the scene where Audrey is naked in his bed and he gives her the spiel about how he is "an FbI Agent sworn to duty" and "what he wants and needs are two different things", obviously a small part of his psyche, that he acknowledges and dismisses, was all for taking advantage of a confused highschooler. It's echoed in the third season with Mr.C declaring he has "no needs, only wants" which is a perfect inversion of S1 Cooper's ethos. Repressed desire might be a good way to look at how Cooper/Mr.C psyche's are related, unlike BOB who just seems interested in murder and control, Mr.C seems to enjoy having disturbing romances. Maybe Cooper will have to acknowledge how his experiences and desires *could* create someone like Mr.C in certain circumstances, which would fit with the whole "return" or "Digging yourself out of your own poo poo" theme of the series

Heres the text of the book if anyone is interested:
http://www.glastonberrygrove.net/texts/coopbio.html

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

eSporks posted:

This is so cool and makes so much sense now.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Hmmm I wonder if there is a connection here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZL5pHmpCG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdAvEOt-l_I

Seems like the man has always had his way with shovels

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I probably should add it's not like everything I post or postulate about the show is something I solidly believe, I'm just trying to sort through various connections in my mind and talk about the way it made me feel, and when he said "The Cow jumped over the moon" that is precisely the first thought that entered my mind - Frodo putting on the magical ring and vanishing. And it's a thought that strikes me as apropos to a lot of the stuff we've seen on the show.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
We're just joshing yo

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

G-III posted:

Hmmm I wonder if there is a connection here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZL5pHmpCG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdAvEOt-l_I

Seems like the man has always had his way with shovels

Ok, holy poo poo, young Tamblyn's got some moves. That's impressive.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

We're just joshing yo

Haha, I know. This may have been alluded to already, but I still feel obliged to post this video just in case some people don't get the complete significance of Lynch and dairy, cows, cheese, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut6zdE8qWj0

cheese is made from milk. :colbert:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 7, 2017

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Origami Dali posted:

Ok, holy poo poo, young Tamblyn's got some moves. That's impressive.

Well the man was in West Side Story and 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, so yeah he's got some moves.

nopants
May 29, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

Forster's Truman seems to spend most of his days staring evenly while people say insane things to him at length, and I relate to that deeply and respect him

His scene with his wife reminded me of Big Ed and Nadine early on.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So was Jacques Frank from the office or am I mistaken?

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Who was the guy that took the cigarette box/money from the smoking kid? What was that all about?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
That was Sarcasticop

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
So, this is an interesting theory.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Franchescanado posted:

Totally didn't catch that.

Edit: I also loved how Frank loved the green tea and how Coop stared at Frank's donut during the entire meeting.

For sure, that was just magic how that played out. The coffee stuff in general is drat funny.

basic hitler posted:

I fuckin' love David Lynch

Well said!

pyrotek posted:

This show is as far ahead of its time as the original Twin Peaks was. I can barely believe that is possible.

Also, this is the best comedy of the year, by far.

Very true, I don't know how many can do what David Lynch is doing, but even top tier TV today can be a bit formulaic in presentation. Episode 5 here is amazing, watching some other TV shows it's like a breath of fresh air too. It's interesting to hear some say this feels slow paced, but for me it doesn't at all. When it's over I want more, like it ended all too soon. I think it's because each scene is done so uniquely well by Lynch, I'm intrigued and want to see where each scene goes.

American Gods (a show I do like also) feels a lot slower to me for example, probably just because the way it's done feels less interesting/captivating to me in comparison.

This show is too good! It's making TV look bad.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 8, 2017

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

G-III posted:

It seems like Mr. C carries with him Dale's intelligence while harboring the horrible otherworldly demonic force that is Bob, making him basically a super criminal.

This reminds me of that flashback scene this episode with Doppelganger Cooper and Bob laughing repeatedly. One thing I appreciate immensely in this show is that it doesn't have any 'Previosly on Twin Peaks' blooper in the beginning. It doesn't hold your hand. So that the reminder of BOB/Bad Coop laughing from the second season, at first seemed a bit forced.

But your comment makes me think that it's precisely trying to remind us that Bad Coop isn't 'just' BOB. There's a bunch of Dale Cooper in there, it's his legit evil core. Only it's channeled in service if disciplined evil. A true Doppleganger, a real synthesis, not just a simple «possession».

Fados fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 8, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Almost done with S1. Oh, Cooper! Come back to us!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fados posted:

But your comment makes me think that it's precisely trying to remind us that Bad Coop isn't 'just' BOB. There's a bunch of Dale Cooper in there, it's his legit evil core. Only it's channeled in service if disciplined evil. A true Doppleganger, a real synthesis, not just a simple «possession».

I think this is true and as of Fire Walk With Me I think it's also true of Leland, that Bob is more of an amplifier of his darkest desires than simply an evil spirit in his body.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Why did the elf man put his dirty, hairy feet on a table people are meant to eat on?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 8, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Whoa I just made a major discovery. Know how the monster climbed out of the glass box and slaughtered the couple having sex? Well there's another thing that's like a glass box and it's a television. What other piece of media features a monster climbing out of a glass box and murdering people? The Ring :holymoley:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

tap my mountain posted:

Whoa I just made a major discovery. Know how the monster climbed out of the glass box and slaughtered the couple having sex? Well there's another thing that's like a glass box and it's a television. What other piece of media features a monster climbing out of a glass box and murdering people? The Ring :holymoley:

He was supposed to be watching the box but when he slipped up the box was watching him (get his bone on). makes u think.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fados posted:

This reminds me of that flashback scene this episode with Doppelganger Cooper and Bob laughing repeatedly. One thing I appreciate immensely in this show is that it doesn't have any 'Previosly on Twin Peaks' blooper in the beginning. It doesn't hold your hand. So that the reminder of BOB/Bad Coop laughing from the second season, at first seemed a bit forced.

It seems like Bob might not be in control of Evil Coop. Or perhaps he's just letting Evil Coop think he's in control but Bob is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

mary had a little clam posted:

The cow jumped over the moon...

Cows make milk, milk makes cheese, some weirdos put cheese on top of... pie crust.

Owls hoot at the moon.

It all comes back to Twin Peaks... :tinfoil:

(jk Kaworu, I liked your read)

Who the gently caress puts cheese on a pie?!!?

Should....I try it?