Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

qhat posted:

It's pretty hilarious how dumb the USA's immigration system is
to be fair, it's equally as difficult to get a legit work visa in the EU without either being sponsored/transferred by the multi-national you currently work for, or being a highly skilled professional.

your average office assistant isn't up and moving to switzerland any time soon unless they marry a resident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
swizterland kind of makes a point of not being in the eu so that's not the best example. but yeah.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the figgies are certainly nice of course but the main reason why i moved to the us is because all of my friends live here

because i'm a loser with no irl friends you see

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Diva Cupcake posted:

to be fair, it's equally as difficult to get a legit work visa in the EU without either being sponsored/transferred by the multi-national you currently work for, or being a highly skilled professional.

your average office assistant isn't up and moving to switzerland any time soon unless they marry a resident.

the problem i see with h1b is it's abused by outsourcing companies who have the resources to file tens of thousands of visa applications for relatively lower skilled workers in places like india, rather than companies who are looking to bring in real talent that they can't find at home. hence why tata and infosys, both indian outsourcing firms, collectively own the majority of the entire h1b quota.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

basically lottery systems are loving idiotic and the US system needs to start prioritising applications based on human capital like qualifications, work experience, language ability, etc, but certainly not on the output of a random number generator

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

swizterland kind of makes a point of not being in the eu so that's not the best example. but yeah.
lol im dumb and chose the worst example, but same with italy or belgium.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

basically lottery systems are loving idiotic and the US system needs to start prioritising applications based on human capital like qualifications, work experience, language ability, etc, but certainly not on the output of a random number generator

just needs to go down the list from highest salary down

after all if nobody can do the job here that means you're not paying enough

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qhat posted:

just making them an auction based on salary would be better than what we have now. gov gets paid because they collect taxes on the inflated income and only the companies who are truly hungry for it get the talent. obvious pitfalls but it'd be miles better than the lottery system

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

switzerland is in the schengen zone and has a pile of treaties which basically grants eu privileges to swiss citizens and vice-versa though. if you are an eu citizen you don't need a visa to move to and work in switzerland, just a residence permit after 90 days

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

just needs to go down the list from highest salary down

after all if nobody can do the job here that means you're not paying enough

they at least need to do the bump up to 110k minimum or whatever it was supposed to be

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rex-Goliath posted:

just making them an auction based on salary would be better than what we have now. gov gets paid because they collect taxes on the inflated income and only the companies who are truly hungry for it get the talent. obvious pitfalls but it'd be miles better than the lottery system

qirex posted:

they at least need to do the bump up to 110k minimum or whatever it was supposed to be

yes to both of these.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
deed is done. he got real weird about it but im out of here.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cis autodrag posted:

did you tell him where you're going or just that you're out?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

gently caress 'im

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rex-Goliath posted:

did you tell him where you're going or just that you're out?

i told them where i was going mostly to rub it in. they treated me like i was worthless and a way better company wants me.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cis autodrag posted:

he got real weird about it
lol deets plz

also: congrats

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FMguru posted:

lol deets plz

like i said he just has some kind of weird crush on me. like he complements what i'm wearing or my hair and stuff at inappropriate times and he is way too enthusiastic about even the lamest jokes. it started after someone told him i was trans (without my permission btw) so i think he might be a chaser. gross.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

like i said he just has some kind of weird crush on me. like he complements what i'm wearing or my hair and stuff at inappropriate times and he is way too enthusiastic about even the lamest jokes. it started after someone told him i was trans (without my permission btw) so i think he might be a chaser. gross.

ughhhhhhh

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

cis autodrag posted:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

for real

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
thanks for the sympathy :). hopefully apple doesnt have the same sort of problems, i know they've been pretty focused on fixing their culture since stebe ate poo poo to his own hubris.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cis autodrag posted:

thanks for the sympathy :). hopefully apple doesnt have the same sort of problems, i know they've been pretty focused on fixing their culture since stebe ate poo poo to his own hubris.

Mmm fresh optimism.

(Grats on the figgies)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
now i have to practice using os x because the last apple product i used was an ipod classic in 2008

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

now i have to practice using os x

I'm so sorry to hear that.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

now i have to practice using os x because the last apple product i used was an ipod classic in 2008

hide the dock, turn on multiple workspaces and learn to love spotlight

basically use it like gnome 3

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cis autodrag posted:

don't get frustrated because some things seem counterintuitive compared to windows, like apps not closing when their windows do or the close button being on the opposite side, you get used to the differences

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Gestures are nice and this synaptic trackpad on my work laptop is a gigantic piece of poop from a butt compared to the Apple trackpad

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
grats cad u did it ur finally free

youll finally be able to buy alcohol between 9 PM and 2 AM (and also, weed!)

Iverron
May 13, 2012

since there was some talk about this the other day: should I even bother with targeted cover letters at this point unless the listing specifically mentions it?

really doesn't feel like anyone reads them

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Iverron posted:

since there was some talk about this the other day: should I even bother with targeted cover letters at this point unless the listing specifically mentions it?

really doesn't feel like anyone reads them

absolutely yes. you should have a cover letter, and you should probably tune and tweak it a little for each job you apply to to be relevant (like this is about 5-10 mins of effort tops)

most good jobs have actual human beings reading applications

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
depends, would you be fine if you got silently rejected because you didn't take the 5 minutes to bang one out?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

any application with zero cover letter goes straight into the :tbear:

obviously bad cover letters not quite so quick, but pretty close

Iverron
May 13, 2012

this is fatigue talking, from current job and a long hunt, but I don't mean "not write a cover letter at all"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it shows you're willing to put up with arbitrary filters with limited feedback

if you're shooting wide and/or not desperate enough to mind that kind of rejection it's fine, but just take the 5 minutes. should be the same story you're telling everyone else on the phone, just put it through your types and don't get hung up on DEAR SIR OR MADAM,

Iverron
May 13, 2012

sounds like the answer is "yes, but quit spending so much time fussing with each one and build a better template"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

do people actually attach their cover letters to an email as a pdf

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

hifi posted:

do people actually attach their cover letters to an email as a pdf

your email is the cover letter

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Out of curiosity, what are you guys actually putting in your cover letter? Mine is pretty much thank you for considering me, here is a brief list of things in the job that match my resume, here's a small paragraph explaining any obvious weaknesses, you can get in contact with me at this email and telephone, look forward to discussing more with you, Butts McGree.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

pretty much

hey i'm 69,
here's what I do right now,
before that I did these other great things
really you could say i have lots of experience with <things that you do>
here's cool stuff I've done that you can look at <links>
i'd love to talk more and find out what you're looking for and how definitely perfect i am
peace

`wc` clocks my most recent ones at 180-350 words, all very informal conversational english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
im great for you because X
you're great for me because Y

• Locked thread