Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

bewbies posted:

Does the BBQ thread have any strong opinions on electric smokers? I am tired of fires and am intrigued by the possibility of maintenance-free smoking for under $200.

I use an electric smoker and I'm happy with it even if it's not the real deal. The stuff I smoke tastes better than any BBQ I've ever bought anywhere else, which is good enough for me.

Set it and forget it, add chips every 3 hours or so.. beats the hell out of tending charcoal all day.

With that said I'd still like to get a WSM or something at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bewbies posted:

Does the BBQ thread have any strong opinions on electric smokers? I am tired of fires and am intrigued by the possibility of maintenance-free smoking for under $200.

I also use one and its awesome. Keeps pretty consistent temps, just add chips every couple hours and check the probe thermometer.

Speaking of probe thermometers, anyone have recommendations for one with a wireless display so I can keep a closer eye on it?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

all my work has been on a MES 30"

Wacky Delly posted:

Speaking of probe thermometers, anyone have recommendations for one with a wireless display so I can keep a closer eye on it?

I have the cheap maverick that came with bear claws linked a few posts back. worked peachy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wacky Delly posted:

I posted a mini review of the Smoke by Thermoworks a page or two back. I really like it, way better than my Maverick.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hsh/6163134956.html

does that seem like a decent deal?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

as long as the heating element is ok and the thermometer works, sure

i'd still get an amnps for $30-40 or whatever they cost to make sure you're getting real smoke (this is in addition to the smoker)

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

suuma posted:

beats the hell out of tending charcoal all day.

This is the best part of smoking what is wrong with you

Also the heavy beer consumption while doing so.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

VERTiG0 posted:

Finally, the voice of reason.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm not disagreeing, and I realize it's not the real experience, but it's nice not being chained to my house during a 14 hour cook.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I'm doing a pork shoulder this Saturday and wanted to try a new BBQ sauce, something spicy preferable. Do you guys have any favorites?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

RisqueBarber posted:

I'm doing a pork shoulder this Saturday and wanted to try a new BBQ sauce, something spicy preferable. Do you guys have any favorites?

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Bourbon-Barbecue-Sauce this with a house made chili powder (which includes dried habs, chipotle, pequins, and thai birds in addition to the ancho/pasilla/guajillop/arbol mix) and an extra hot cayenne at 1/4tsp. vs 8th if you really wanna keep punching for the sky.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

RisqueBarber posted:

My favorite sauce for pulled pork is Stubb's original. They also make a spicy which tastes just like a spicy version of the original. It's a little hot for me, so I mix the two typically.

The Heinz sauces are also worth trying. I was put off by the brand association, but I had several positive recommendations that made me try them. The Carolina sauce is great, and the KC sauce may be my favorite I've tried of the type.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Learn to make your own sauces. It's super cheap and rewarding.

My favorite:

6 oz Dr Pepper
2 oz Whiskey
Ketchup
Apple cider vinegar
Paprika
Salt
Pepper
Red pepper flakes
Brown sugar

Mix to taste and simmer for a few hours

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I found this recipe while googling for recipe ideas a while back and its become one of my favorites. It isn't that spicy, but when you make it yourself you can add all the heat you want! I usually add way more chipotle in the form of chipotle chile powder and/or flakes if I have them. I usually add chipotle chile powder to the pork rub to give the meat a little heat, too.

http://selfproclaimedfoodie.com/carolina-mustard-barbecue-sauce/

1 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo, minced
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
ground black pepper to taste

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Anyone every simmered a sauce in the smoker for a while when smoking?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

What is your favorite choice of pre-packaged rubs? I have been using Plowboy's Yardbird rub for pork and chicken and Bovine Bold for briskets. I have really like them both. They don't have MSG and don't seem to be full of chemicals. I went with those two at the suggestions of many people on the BBQ Brethren forum. I see a lot of others but don't know what to venture out next.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

What is your favorite choice of pre-packaged rubs? I have been using Plowboy's Yardbird rub for pork and chicken and Bovine Bold for briskets. I have really like them both. They don't have MSG and don't seem to be full of chemicals. I went with those two at the suggestions of many people on the BBQ Brethren forum. I see a lot of others but don't know what to venture out next.

Trader Joe's Coffee and Garlic rub is excellent. You can't even tell it's coffee flavored. I haven't tried it on pork, but it's awesome on chicken and beef. $2 a bottle as well.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I picked up a bottle of this at Costco on a lark and it's been a drat fine performer.

https://www.buttrub.com/

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Somewhat Heroic posted:

What is your favorite choice of pre-packaged rubs?

I like stuff from Dizzy Pig BBQ.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Catching up with this thread. I am now on deployment so all BBQ making will be strictly vicarious. :( Couple thoughts on some recent topics:

Electric smoker-Perfectly ok. What I started out on and it made really good BBQ. I had an ECB (el cheapo brinkmann) and it was fine. The fact that it had element that only got to a certain temperature was both a blessing and a curse.
Brisket talk - One, for new posters, don't fear the brisket. I think the "difficulty" of making it is grossly overstated. Two, once you've done it low and slow a few times, you owe it to yourself to try the high heat method. I only exaggerate slightly when I say it is life changing. You can literally wake up and decide to make a brisket if you want and have it by lunch potentially.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

For brisket, I absolutely love Cavender's Greek seasoning. It's basically all I use on brisket any more.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

VERTiG0 posted:

There's a difference between tending charcoal and loving around with a smoker ever living moment. But they both include beer so I approve of your post.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

quote:

Many suggestions

Thank you all! I'll look into them. That Greek one sounds interesting.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The Heinz sauces are also worth trying. I was put off by the brand association, but I had several positive recommendations that made me try them. The Carolina sauce is great, and the KC sauce may be my favorite I've tried of the type.

Yeah, those are good for the price. IMO they are the best legit deal you can get at a grocery store given the ingredients for getting a decent quality sauce.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Penzey's are all good, but my favorite of theirs is Barbecue of the Americas.

You can also just make your own. It's basically impossible to gently caress up, you're going to end up with something tasty regardless. I often cut ribs into half- or third-racks and do a different rub on each piece, and make people compare for fun.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Big fan of everything Meat Church, especially Holy Cow for brisket or steaks. People bitch about MSG but I love that poo poo so I pick up a bottle of Three Little Pigs from Lowe's for 6 bucks when I'm out, it's insanely good when my family wants crispy hot'n'fast ribs with a vinegar mop off of the Hasty-Bake.

Colostomy Bag posted:

There's a difference between tending charcoal and loving around with a smoker ever living moment. But they both include beer so I approve of your post.

If your smokers are at least Weber-quality, messing around with the pit every living moment isn't a thing, but if you hosed up and bought some piece of poo poo, well, I don't know what to tell you. My shittiest unit is and was a Weber 22.5" OTS so I don't know how bad it gets.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I almost always make my rubs, but I usually keep one shaker of Famous Dave's rub around just cause it's $3 at the local market and I think it tastes pretty good. For those times I have some chicken or something and I don't wanna mix all my crap up together, I just bust out the old cheapy and it works in a pinch.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Grab the dizzy pig sampler pack and see what you like

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I tried this as a goof last time I was in NC, and it's actually really, really good. Y'all should give it a go, it's a drat fine pork rub. Haven't tried any of the other rubs or sauces, but will next time I'm in NC.

http://www.johnboyandbillysauce.com/seasoning-pork-rub/

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

VERTiG0 posted:

Big fan of everything Meat Church, especially Holy Cow for brisket or steaks. People bitch about MSG but I love that poo poo so I pick up a bottle of Three Little Pigs from Lowe's for 6 bucks when I'm out, it's insanely good when my family wants crispy hot'n'fast ribs with a vinegar mop off of the Hasty-Bake.

If your smokers are at least Weber-quality, messing around with the pit every living moment isn't a thing, but if you hosed up and bought some piece of poo poo, well, I don't know what to tell you. My shittiest unit is and was a Weber 22.5" OTS so I don't know how bad it gets.

I was going to make this point and its totally valid. My "fussing" with my Weber consists of checking the temp every so often and slight adjusting the vents. I don't sit up all night tending the smoker.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

I was going to make this point and its totally valid. My "fussing" with my Weber consists of checking the temp every so often and slight adjusting the vents. I don't sit up all night tending the smoker.

The only time I've had to gently caress with any smoking session constantly was when I was doing ribs on my dad's offset smoker/grill combo. I don't know what brand it was but it leaked like a sieve and I was constantly tweaking the vents and dousing the flare ups. They turned out way too smoky but I had a good time getting drunk with my old man so it worked out anyway.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

DiggityDoink posted:

The only time I've had to gently caress with any smoking session constantly was when I was doing ribs on my dad's offset smoker/grill combo. I don't know what brand it was but it leaked like a sieve and I was constantly tweaking the vents and dousing the flare ups. They turned out way too smoky but I had a good time getting drunk with my old man so it worked out anyway.

Sounds like a Chargriller. Those are pains in the asses.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

Another vote for Meat Church!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I got a kick out of this

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Did Meathead's fake smoke "oven sauna ribs." Still not authentic bark but I think it's a lot closer than the chefsteps fake smoke ribs. I couldn't find the smoked onion and smoked garlic the rub calls for so I smoked the entire rub using a smoking gun, so that might've helped.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 9, 2017

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
If you're fussing with temperature on a Weber I'd highly recommend upgrading your door. A stainless door with a compression lock plus some gasket tape around the perimeter works wonders.

http://www.cajunbandit.com/Weber-Smokey-Mountain-Upgrade-Parts-s/140.htm

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sounds like a Chargriller. Those are pains in the asses.

I have a cheap one and it leaks a lot. I still don't have trouble maintaining temperature though.

Liberator_44
Jul 25, 2004
I just got a 40" masterbuilt electric, and on the advice of a lot of this forum, an AmazeN pellet track. I've done a ton of reading. After I season the smoker and I'm doing my first rack of ribs, how long do I let the pellets smoke (or, how many pellets?) If I'm looking at 3-2-1, let them smoke the entire time or just during the first 3 hours? Obviously experimenting is part of this, but how do I not screw it up too bad on my first run?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Liberator_44 posted:

I just got a 40" masterbuilt electric, and on the advice of a lot of this forum, an AmazeN pellet track. I've done a ton of reading. After I season the smoker and I'm doing my first rack of ribs, how long do I let the pellets smoke (or, how many pellets?) If I'm looking at 3-2-1, let them smoke the entire time or just during the first 3 hours? Obviously experimenting is part of this, but how do I not screw it up too bad on my first run?

Once you toss them in foil the smoke becomes meaningless, so those first three hours are the most important. The last unwrapped hour they might take on a little more smoke, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it if your AMPS has already burned itself out. That said, the AMPS often lasts many hours so you may still be smoldering when you finish the ribs.

My biggest tip on the AMPS is make sure its lit and progressing. I usually check mine a couple times after starting the smoke and have often found that I need to re-light it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I use a bradley electric, with the digital smoke box timer thing, cold smoker attachment and everything.
work(ed)s great imo, and to be frank, I don't usually cook for more than 2-4 people at a crack, and so I don't even need THAT most times, but it's been nice to have when I've wanted it.
Sadly I've been a victim of its heating element making GBS threads the bed on me, and I need to find out if I'm eligible to get it replaced or have to spring for a new one. Apparently they're prone to kick the bucket on this model and I got one of the ones that did it.

However, other than that, I can't fault it and despite my own problem with my own unit (lol) I would recommend it to anyone looking to pick up a new smoker who doesn't want a charcoal or pellet type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Got some pork belly at the butcher yesterday, about 6 lbs. Anybody have advice for/experience with belly on the PBC?