Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

given the angle of the sword he's holding and the shoulders, I think we're in for Giant Grimdark Beefcake Zote, who might be in Bretta's dream instead of his own.

Yeah I agree.

Whether it's Zote or Bretta, it's probably going to be a version of him that is actually as strong as he thinks he is. This fight will probably be pretty harrowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It'll be Nameless King with Zote's mask glued on.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^^^maybe Zote is the long lost prince of Hallownest and the King created the HKs as a replacement for him while he wanders around the world being a less likable Ostrava.

Internet Kraken posted:

Nosk really confuses me. There's a whole bunch of effort put into setting it up but then the fight itself is really easy and underwhelming. Terrifying apex predator of the darkness that just runs back and forth like an excited dog.

My thoughts exactly, the reveal of what it is is great but the boss is so weak and so easy to cheese I stumbled on it by accident on my first encounter.

The jellyfish fight annoys me, I don't like bosses where the gimmick is "wait for your ally to do a thing, then hit the boss in a window of opportunity". It's not like an especially terrible example of the gimmick and Quirrel is a bamf so I was glad to see him do something, but as a gimmick it's just conducive to a fight where you spend a lot of time dodging and waiting, or standing around with your thumb up your rear end. Much like the rest of the Archives it gives me a sense of "ok cool, but that's it?"

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Team Cherry posted:

Quick Update: Switch version is now feature complete! Prep your Joycons (Or your Pro Controller, if you prefer). From now till Hollow Knight’s (unspecified) Switch launch day it’s all about testing and optimisation, all the time. That’s still a task mind you! But things are really rolling now!

And though it may go without saying, Hidden Dreams will of course be included with the Switch version at launch!

:3:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Now if only every store in Canada wasn't sold out of Switches...

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Nosk really confuses me. There's a whole bunch of effort put into setting it up but then the fight itself is really easy and underwhelming. Terrifying apex predator of the darkness that just runs back and forth like an excited dog.

Hey, I'm one of the devs (William). You're right that Nosk turned out to be kinda underwhelming compared to its buildup. It's because when I came up with the idea of the whole lead-in, we were already wayyy beyond scope but I convinced Ari to let me do it by saying we could make the actual boss fight as simple as possible. I'm glad we squeezed that whole thing in, but yeah it makes for a bit of a dip in quality. I think I'm gonna sneak in a new move for ol Nosk in one of these content packs, try to do the poor guy justice.

It's been really great reading everyone's thoughts on the game by the way! :) I constantly lurk SA so I've been following the thread, but thought maybe I shouldn't jump in too much. I'm super happy people are getting into it though!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

George Lazenby posted:

Hey, I'm one of the devs (William). You're right that Nosk turned out to be kinda underwhelming compared to its buildup. It's because when I came up with the idea of the whole lead-in, we were already wayyy beyond scope but I convinced Ari to let me do it by saying we could make the actual boss fight as simple as possible. I'm glad we squeezed that whole thing in, but yeah it makes for a bit of a dip in quality. I think I'm gonna sneak in a new move for ol Nosk in one of these content packs, try to do the poor guy justice.

It's been really great reading everyone's thoughts on the game by the way! :) I constantly lurk SA so I've been following the thread, but thought maybe I shouldn't jump in too much. I'm super happy people are getting into it though!

I was gonna say that this game is awesome but I'm grinding for the menderbug spawn right now so instead it sucks :mad:

I love this game so much thank you

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Thank you for this incredibly well-made game! Have you done any writeups of your design process anywhere? The level of careful, detailed design that's gone into every aspect of this is mind-boggling. I'm especially digging the use of enemies and maps as training for bosses atm.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 8, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ah thanks for the awesome game! Hope everything goes well with the porting and the content packs, really looking forward to it all

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah, Thanks! Hollow Knight is an excellent game and it has a lot of heart. Definitely the best metroidvania i've played in a very long time. Looking forward to the new content!

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Thank you for the brilliant game! It's easily my GOTY. Probably my GOTY for the past several years at least.

And who did that super cute caterpillar noise? That is just adorable and sold the game fully to me :kiddo:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

George Lazenby posted:

Got any more interesting anecdotes from the game's development? I always love hearing about this kind of stuff.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

George Lazenby posted:

Please give lots of money to whoever did the voice of the Dung Defender.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I noticed Nosk has its own track on the soundtrack which sort of stood out too.

The Mask Maker was the one I wanted to learn more about/do something with, but I understand the puprose he serves already. I just wanna hear more about the role of masks in the game.

Excited for the DLC. I'v been a bit busy since I got 100%, but I've been replaying on Steel Soul mode

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

Haha man, thanks everyone! Heaps nice to hear you're enjoying the game. I've spent today doing dull business accounting stuff and bug fixes, so reading everyone's kind words is a nice pick-me-up. Gotta smash through this stuff so I can get back to the Hidden Dreams stuff.

Discendo Vox posted:

Thank you for this incredibly well-made game! Have you done any writeups of your design process anywhere? The level of careful, detailed design that's gone into every aspect of this is mind-boggling. I'm especially digging the use of enemies and maps as training for bosses atm.

We haven't done any write-ups or anything unfortunately. I considered it during development, but we just didn't have any time to dedicate to it. Also, this is our first proper game so I wasn't all that confident we could write anything particularly educational - a lot of the game was kinda put together on the fly and lots of it was based on intuition rather than particularly careful planning.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Thank you for the brilliant game! It's easily my GOTY. Probably my GOTY for the past several years at least.

And who did that super cute caterpillar noise? That is just adorable and sold the game fully to me :kiddo:

Haha, the Grub is me! I just did a Pikmin impression. Most of the voices in the game are me, Ari or Makoto (Ari's partner, the voice of Hornet). I had heaps of fun doing all the enemies and monsters and stuff, like the fluke monsters in the waterways and those mummies down in the crypts. Doing the Collector was great fun as well.

SirSamVimes posted:

Please give lots of money to whoever did the voice of the Dung Defender.

Hehe, that was me again! Another extremely fun voice to do.

Obligatum VII posted:

Got any more interesting anecdotes from the game's development? I always love hearing about this kind of stuff.

Hmm, dunno. A lot of the voice work in the game (that we couldn't do ourselves) are just friends and family in our office's tiny kitchenette-thing. My Mum did a few, like the White Lady and Marmu - as a backer, she got to pick the design for Marmu so she sent us a photo of this dude:

My girlfriend did Iselda (the mapper's wife) - it was a sweltering Aussie Summer day, we were recording in a tiny room, and we had to turn the air con off so it wouldn't drown out the recording. We kept recording lines over and over, with me constantly telling her to sound more bored. So that bored/exasperated/irritated tone you get when you speak to Iselda is the real deal!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Marmu is way too cute for a boss you have to fight.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Sigh... fafanada.

Thank you for enriching my life with your good game holy cannoli

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

George Lazenby posted:

Why did you have to make a bevy of new content just as I start a LP of the game?

Really love the game though, haven't had this much fun with a metroidvania since la-mulana. Still staring down Steel Heart like its a gun-barrel.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

George Lazenby posted:

Haha man, thanks everyone! Heaps nice to hear you're enjoying the game. I've spent today doing dull business accounting stuff and bug fixes, so reading everyone's kind words is a nice pick-me-up. Gotta smash through this stuff so I can get back to the Hidden Dreams stuff.

We haven't done any write-ups or anything unfortunately. I considered it during development, but we just didn't have any time to dedicate to it. Also, this is our first proper game so I wasn't all that confident we could write anything particularly educational - a lot of the game was kinda put together on the fly and lots of it was based on intuition rather than particularly careful planning.

Haha, the Grub is me! I just did a Pikmin impression. Most of the voices in the game are me, Ari or Makoto (Ari's partner, the voice of Hornet). I had heaps of fun doing all the enemies and monsters and stuff, like the fluke monsters in the waterways and those mummies down in the crypts. Doing the Collector was great fun as well.

Hmm, dunno. A lot of the voice work in the game (that we couldn't do ourselves) are just friends and family in our office's tiny kitchenette-thing. My Mum did a few, like the White Lady and Marmu - as a backer, she got to pick the design for Marmu so she sent us a photo of this dude:

My girlfriend did Iselda (the mapper's wife) - it was a sweltering Aussie Summer day, we were recording in a tiny room, and we had to turn the air con off so it wouldn't drown out the recording. We kept recording lines over and over, with me constantly telling her to sound more bored. So that bored/exasperated/irritated tone you get when you speak to Iselda is the real deal!

Out of curiosity, is there any pattern to the bug language gibberish? Or were people just told to make up their own words?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Strong GOTY candidate for me as well. Is the game doing well for you guys? I really hope so, it's the most fun I've had with any game in quite a while.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

George Lazenby posted:

this entire post is fabulous and i love it... The grubs are adorable, i love this game. I sort of had an idea that it was a small project but not quite this small. Like others have said, it's easily my single-player GotY, and probably of the past couple of years. I'm a huge fan of the genre, and the aesthetic, the lore, the gameplay, everything, just feels so great. I'm trying not to gush but thank you, and everyone else who was involved!

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

George Lazenby posted:

You are a true hero.

It's amazing how consistently fantastic the voice acting is in this game. The way it manages to consistently nail tone is perfect.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

George Lazenby posted:

like the fluke monsters in the waterways

I'm kinda curious, how did you go about making the Fluke monster sounds? Because they are absolutely amazing.

My favorites are the flying ones after the big guys get split into two. They just sound so amazingly angry.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 8, 2017

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Hey George Lazenby a couple of quick question since I'm always curious to hear from a small dev shop. Do you have any special plans on how to promote Hollow Knight for the Steam Summer Sale? How has sales of the game been going? There seems to be a ton of 2d castlevania type games that come out in the past couple of years so I'm really curious if Hollow Knight has been able to be noticed by the wider market.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Out of curiosity, is there any pattern to the bug language gibberish? Or were people just told to make up their own words?

We did write down a few common words (I think i use 'ludo' a lot) but people often had trouble reading them so later on we tended to just get people to write down their own made-up gibberish so they could speak it more naturally. It was pretty interesting, cos people tended to make up gibberish that related to their background and it really shone through. Makoto did Hornet, and she really obviously sounds Japanese-ish. A lot of my stuff and some of my Mum's is based on Greek words or sounds kinda European (we're Greek). Our French translator, Shalulu, did the voice of Cloth and No Eyes which is why they (particularly Cloth) sound distinctly French.

guppy posted:

Strong GOTY candidate for me as well. Is the game doing well for you guys? I really hope so, it's the most fun I've had with any game in quite a while.

Cheers! Yeah sales are good, I think we're past 130K units sold on Steam now. Most importantly the whole thing is definitely sustainable, so we can keep making more stuff!

Ambivalent posted:

this entire post is fabulous and i love it... The grubs are adorable, i love this game. I sort of had an idea that it was a small project but not quite this small. Like others have said, it's easily my single-player GotY, and probably of the past couple of years. I'm a huge fan of the genre, and the aesthetic, the lore, the gameplay, everything, just feels so great. I'm trying not to gush but thank you, and everyone else who was involved!

Heyy thanks! Yeah team was small, just me Ari n Dave as the core. Then Chris was the composer, and Matt came in as marketing/PR towards the end. Plus testers and stuff at the end of course (ie our friends).

JuniperCake posted:

I'm kinda curious, how did you go about making the Fluke monster sounds? Because they are absolutely amazing.

My favorites are the flying ones after the big guys get split into two. They just sound so amazingly angry.

Haha, I got some new decent headphones for the office and was just saying to Ari today how happy I was with the general soundscape of the waterways. The atmos and the reverb and the drips and stuff all come together nicely, and the weird creature noises help heaps too. I did the voices for the fluke dudes when they're walking around, but Chris made the crazy noises for when they get cut in half. I think he may have grabbed random animal samples and mashed em up? Oh and Makoto (Hornet's voice) did the Flukemarm.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

So, honest question - how is your art guy still alive? There's like a million unique enemies in the game and all of them are fully animated, and the environments are crazy detailed as well. I assumed there had be at least a couple people doing art, but apparently it was all Ari Gibson, which blows my mind.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
This whole game had only one artist?! :stonk:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

George Lazenby posted:

This game is extremely great and I'm really happy that its been gradually getting more attention. You guys did a great job, especially considering how tiny the dev team is.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know I really like the soundtrack in this game a lot. Which is why it annoys me that the actual soundtrack I bought to support is missing a bunch of the tracks, especially the more atmospheric ones. Would be nice to listen to those while working on stuff.

Its not just this game that did it either. I've bought a fair number of games that sell soundtracks but don't include the full OST for some reason.

Zinkraptor posted:

So, honest question - how is your art guy still alive? There's like a million unique enemies in the game and all of them are fully animated, and the environments are crazy detailed as well. I assumed there had be at least a couple people doing art, but apparently it was all Ari Gibson, which blows my mind.

As good as all the character designs are, I really think the amount of detail in the environment is what sets this above other games. Every part is so detailed and there are tons of unique places scattered all around the map with their own art assets. Then there's all the background and foreground details that make the environments seem way more fleshed out but don't actually get in the way of any of the gameplay. The art direction is superb.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Hey George Lazenby. Really loved this game! Keep it up, and I hope to see more games from you guys in the future.

My only complaint is the lack of an option to set your own markers on the map. The map is just too big to keep every place in mind that you know you'll want to re-visit later when you unlock new abilities, especially if a few days or weeks go by between play sessions.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really appreciate that the addition of a new stagway (guessing in the Ancient Basin) and a new way of traversing Hallownest seem to be a direct response to criticisms of the game. Devs that listen about issues and iterate their design based on them are the actual best.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Think we'll see a Switch version by the end of the year for sure?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Hey George Lazenby. Really loved this game! Keep it up, and I hope to see more games from you guys in the future.

My only complaint is the lack of an option to set your own markers on the map. The map is just too big to keep every place in mind that you know you'll want to re-visit later when you unlock new abilities, especially if a few days or weeks go by between play sessions.

This is why I made screenshots like crazy. Steam is pretty handy like that!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mindblast posted:

This is why I made screenshots like crazy. Steam is pretty handy like that!

Speaking of, is there any possibility that one of the content updates can include a "Hide UI" option? I'd love to get some desktop backgrounds out of some of the areas.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

SirSamVimes posted:

Speaking of, is there any possibility that one of the content updates can include a "Hide UI" option? I'd love to get some desktop backgrounds out of some of the areas.

And if that is not possible alternatively I'd already be really down with City of Tear concept art for the same reason.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

George Lazenby posted:

We did write down a few common words (I think i use 'ludo' a lot) but people often had trouble reading them so later on we tended to just get people to write down their own made-up gibberish so they could speak it more naturally. It was pretty interesting, cos people tended to make up gibberish that related to their background and it really shone through. Makoto did Hornet, and she really obviously sounds Japanese-ish. A lot of my stuff and some of my Mum's is based on Greek words or sounds kinda European (we're Greek). Our French translator, Shalulu, did the voice of Cloth and No Eyes which is why they (particularly Cloth) sound distinctly French.

Oh cool, I thought I definitely heard Greek phonemes here and there.

Let me guess: You also did Zote.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 9, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Inferior Third Season posted:

This! One thing that has bothered me in just about every Metroidvania is that you will lose track of things you want to revisit so easily. It would be awesome if you could actually write on your map to create notes about places you want to revisit. It would make backtracking so much easier.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I might be alone in this, but I really don't mind this. Or the limited fast travel options. Moving through the game environments, even if it's not for the first time, is part of a thing I enjoy. Places or spots with enemies that seemed slightly tricky before, you now dance around with ease, sections that you progressed through with plodding careful jumps before you can just breeze through fluidly. Basically, getting better at the game makes movement more fluid, and that makes traveling in itself feel good, for me anyway.

Basically any exploration game for me relies on it being fun to move around. The recent Tomb Raider games have felt fun to move around and do stuff in, so that's good. Not really an exploring game but Mirror's Edge has a similar quality of 'the better you are, the faster you go, and the more slick you look while doing it'.

Similarly, backtracking and remembering those nooks and crannies, feels like putting a jigsaw puzzle together, but if it's all clearly marked, then it just feels like doing a checklist.

I totally understand that most people don't get that out of the game, though

One thing I also like is, not really skips, but tricks. There's a few spots where you can lure a Vengefly to the right spot and bounce off his head to go to places you're supposed to need double jump or dash for. I haven't found any sequence breaking stuff or anything, but you can do stuff like go directly to Hornet before doing the rest of Greenpath or get a few grubs and charms earlier. I was tickled because this is a thing you can do in a lot of Castlevanias with enemies like imps.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Oh, and if it's not too much, who voiced Myla? My pals all love the singing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ambivalent posted:

I might be alone in this, but I really don't mind this. Or the limited fast travel options. Moving through the game environments, even if it's not for the first time, is part of a thing I enjoy. Places or spots with enemies that seemed slightly tricky before, you now dance around with ease, sections that you progressed through with plodding careful jumps before you can just breeze through fluidly. Basically, getting better at the game makes movement more fluid, and that makes traveling in itself feel good, for me anyway.

Basically any exploration game for me relies on it being fun to move around. The recent Tomb Raider games have felt fun to move around and do stuff in, so that's good. Not really an exploring game but Mirror's Edge has a similar quality of 'the better you are, the faster you go, and the more slick you look while doing it'.

Similarly, backtracking and remembering those nooks and crannies, feels like putting a jigsaw puzzle together, but if it's all clearly marked, then it just feels like doing a checklist.

I totally understand that most people don't get that out of the game, though

One thing I also like is, not really skips, but tricks. There's a few spots where you can lure a Vengefly to the right spot and bounce off his head to go to places you're supposed to need double jump or dash for. I haven't found any sequence breaking stuff or anything, but you can do stuff like go directly to Hornet before doing the rest of Greenpath or get a few grubs and charms earlier. I was tickled because this is a thing you can do in a lot of Castlevanias with enemies like imps.
I don't mind the limited fast travel per see since most is decently covered, but the two really annoying things was having Crossroads blocked off with infestations, it was just an exercise in frustration while not adding anything to the game since it's not a particularly interesting area to backtrack (yet commonly done) "oh yeah right I can't go that way to the shop or go back down Fungal and need to instead start from Dirtmouth and drop down"; and the other having to get back down to Deepnest (and lesser extent, near the Basin) since it's just spamming dash a bunch and then dropping down for 10th time). Definitely would have been nice to have a Stag somewhere in that general area to kill two birds with one stone.

It also would have been nice to have an item/button that would put you back at your last Bench (like Dark Souls items) after you've dove deep in to get what you want and don't want to backtrack out to the nearest Stag station (which can be quite far ala going down to the one charm behind the shadow-wall in Deepnest). There actually is way, just quit to Main Menu and reload since your progress is saved, but feels like such an awkward work around but I started doing that a lot towards the last 1/4th of the game.

But it really would be so nice to have Zelda BOTW-esque map markers. That was such a simple and great feature and many of us are old (or getting there) and may not play more than an hour or two every night or every other night and it's hard as hell to remember "oh yeah I couldn't go into the poison water in that area before could I? or did I obviously need double jump which I just got?; yeah obviously there's a Grub in this room but I can't get it; ok this door has a shadow-barriar which I can't get through now but I need to remember where these are so I can go back when I do" and would be nice as hell just to place different markers to denote our own internal system for remembering when I can go back to revisit that area.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 11, 2017