Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

pubic works project posted:

Matta is stepping down from OSU after 2017-2018 season. His health must be really declining.

Some sources are saying it's immediate. Kinda wish this had happened a few months earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, he's done now

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/871791786796040193

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Matta is stepping down from OSU after 2017-2018 season. His health must be really declining.

That must be it, they just let his heir apparent get hired by IU and now he is out immediately. I guess other coaches were killing him in recruiting by talking about his health. Dude does need to take a couple years off and get healthy, if possible.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wonder why they waited until now to make the change.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Ehud posted:

He and Gene Smith are tight. I think a decent portion of doing it now is because Smith honestly worries about his health. He had already given him this season to improve things as all the talent walked out the door, then turned around and did this. Partly since Thad lost a bunch of recruiting battles, but I doubt that gets the trigger pulled on it's own.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Ehud posted:

Maybe striking out on recruits recently and JaQuan Lyle quitting the program? I don't know, I have a hard time understanding the thought process of our AD sometimes.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

anyone flight tracking Billy Donovan yet?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Wow. It totally makes sense though. That dude needs to focus on his health and then maybe a nice TV gig.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sportsgenius86 posted:

anyone flight tracking Billy Donovan yet?

He probably wants out because who wouldn't want out with Westbrook and nothing, and probably nothing good coming. But what is he getting paid right now?

Haha, his wiki lists him as Ohio State's coach in the sidebar already.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
https://twitter.com/claywsyx6/status/871796308025241600

but seriously folks

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

tom crean to osu, let's get this train on the road

I'm really glad we managed to pull Archie before this happened.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lmao if they think they're getting Brad Stevens.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hello Towel posted:

I'm really glad we managed to pull Archie before this happened.

What are the big names that are unhappy/fired who didn't move, if any?

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Lmao if they think they're getting Brad Stevens any of them.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Donovan and Meyer were really close when they were at Florida together. I don't think they'll land Donovan but I also don't think it's as far fetched as people think.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Matta was so good for Ohio State for a period, but the program was clearly falling apart these last couple years, probably because of the health/back issues. Pretty sad :(

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
College fanbases thinking their school has a genuine shot at hiring Brad Stevens is the funniest thing

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We went through this when Indiana had an opening and it was laughable then and that was when it was Indiana and Boston wasn't about to get Fultz.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ohio State can't get Billy Donovan.

They have to have a year under a terrible assistant and get a postseason ban, then they can get Billy Donovan.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
College fanbases thinking their school has a genuine shot at hiring Brad Stevens is the funniest thing

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Stevens and Miller will be mentioned for Butler/Matta ties, but zero chance. Donovan might be a tiiiiiny chance if he is convinced he's canned after this upcoming NBA season. It won't get interesting until they get the shame of being turned down by Mack at Xavier. I think more than likely the big targets turn them down and they go through next season with an assistant Matta picks like Jent, and they have an impossible task of winning the job with a roster depleted of talent. Better to miss out on a recruiting class than tying yourself to a bad head coach for 3-4 years.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe Alford wants to get away from the Ball family now that his kid graduated.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

lol Tony Bennett is the most likely guy from this list and he's a huge long shot.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

They aren't getting any of those guys. It's June already

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RIP Human Tomato

Firing a coach in June, lol OSU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh god no
https://twitter.com/joevardon/status/871885327450943489

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Maybe Alford wants to get away from the Ball family now that his kid graduated.

Don't tease me

Ahahaha oh god please

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I had never thought of that possibility but now I absolutely want it to happen.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Hahahahaha I love you bro, but OSU deserves it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Hahahahaha I love you bro, but OSU deserves it.

I think we are missing the shadow candidate here. The next coach of OSU basketball will be the rosy-cheeked "defensive expert" Aaron Craft.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

I think we are missing the shadow candidate here. The next coach of OSU basketball will be the rosy-cheeked "defensive expert" Aaron Craft.

I would rather have that than Mark Jackson.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Mark Jackson would be incredible

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mark Jackson would be Ohio State basketball rescuing the rest of the world from him on commentary, thus building up karma for like 5 NCAA Titles in 6 years with whoever his replacement is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
*watches warriors win every playoff game by 30*

Get me the man who made this team a 6 seed

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:bisonyes:

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

lol yes please.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/872604374807318528

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Iowa State reaction to that would be very funny but no great college coaches at OSU please. Do the Mark Jackson thing instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am so loving torn

• Locked thread