Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Firstborn If you're just getting into the game now, the smart thing to do would probably be to test out different classes and figure out most importantly which role you like; tanking, healing, or damage.

Then if you can afford it, I would probably buy a story skip / level boost potion to get you up to Stormblood so you can play with other people. There will be other people in the old zones post-SB release, but that's where most everybody's gonna be focused. MMOs are lonely by yourself. This one has good story, but still, its more fun to be with everybody else.

If you can't afford it, just grind like a madman with dungeons and POTD. Make sure you get the newbie ring for +30% XP up to level 30 and log your character off in a city every time you quit to get rested XP bonuses.

But try out different classes and watch lots of videos on how those classes play at higher level before you commit if you do. Not only does the potion cost money, but you can't buy more than 1 of them until a few months after SB release.

After you get the potion, you'll have one job up to 60 with the storyline up to SB completed, so you can jump right into SB as that job, and also then create a SAM or RDM at 50 and try those if you want, or a DRK, MCH or AST at 30 and try those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I don't think "buy all this level skip poo poo + the expansion before you even know if you're really into this game" is good advice, man. There's more than enough good stuff in ARR/HW to be worth experiencing at least once, and joining an FC will keep things from feeling too lonely before you're caught up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dmboogie posted:

I don't think "buy all this level skip poo poo + the expansion before you even know if you're really into this game" is good advice, man. There's more than enough good stuff in ARR/HW to be worth experiencing at least once, and joining an FC will keep things from feeling too lonely before you're caught up.

I dunno, in my experience the point of MMOs is to be social. New expansions are hot poo poo, being in old content is not. There's a reason why WoW started including level boosts in each of its expansions. It just works out better.

Like I said if you can afford it. If you can't, grind that stuff out. And I also said try out the different classes before you commit to anything, so part of that is trying out the game before you commit to anything :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder what the best way to level RDM out of the gate is going to be, especially considering the armoury bonus being applied 50-60.

I've looked at the changes for other classes and there's still nothing as absolutely appealing as RDM (though the changed BLM does come close--not having to play silly buggers to keep Enochian up sounds great).

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder what the best way to level RDM out of the gate is going to be, especially considering the armoury bonus being applied 50-60.

I've looked at the changes for other classes and there's still nothing as absolutely appealing as RDM (though the changed BLM does come close--not having to play silly buggers to keep Enochian up sounds great).

If no new option presents itself, potd like always. Place is gonna be stuffed with the fuckers for a long while.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is there a dyable version of this item: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/10c6ed08adc/ ?

Trying to come up with a beach glamour that isn't the marine top or one of the ugly swimsutis.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

No, I don't believe there are dyeable versions of any of the Heavensward dungeon gear. If the pattern holds, they'll be the models for SB crafted levelling gear.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Brainamp posted:

If no new option presents itself, potd like always. Place is gonna be stuffed with the fuckers for a long while.

Bluuuh. I might be willing once or twice but that place feels like a soulless painful grind even moreso than FATEs. At least up to floor 50, never been beyond that.

Oh god it's gonna be 4 DPS teams for the whole time too, isn't it :cry:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, in my experience the point of MMOs is to be social. New expansions are hot poo poo, being in old content is not. There's a reason why WoW started including level boosts in each of its expansions. It just works out better.

Like I said if you can afford it. If you can't, grind that stuff out. And I also said try out the different classes before you commit to anything, so part of that is trying out the game before you commit to anything :)
Its loving stupid advice though, because the entirety of the story quest is solo and any instance you do other people can level sync down to, there's never a circumstance in this game where you are prevented from playing with other people. Like if they end up really hating the story or want to skip directly to the endgame so they can join a bleeding edge static or something then okay, but its bad advice otherwise.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The MSQ has plenty of opportunities to be social via dungeons that gate progress, and PotD is a good social tool to give new players experience with a dps/healer class' full skillset. I'm still in the middle of HW and not even considering a story jump, nor have I ever felt starved for the social aspect of the game.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Is there a dyable version of this item: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/10c6ed08adc/ ?

Trying to come up with a beach glamour that isn't the marine top or one of the ugly swimsutis.

I actually love the hell out of this piece and wore it for a long long time. the only thing that comes close and is dyeable is the star velvet shirt. i know it's not the same.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

The MSQ has plenty of opportunities to be social via dungeons that gate progress, and PotD is a good social tool to give new players experience with a dps/healer class' full skillset. I'm still in the middle of HW and not even considering a story jump, nor have I ever felt starved for the social aspect of the game.

We should play more.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bleu posted:

No, I don't believe there are dyeable versions of any of the Heavensward dungeon gear. If the pattern holds, they'll be the models for SB crafted levelling gear.

That sucks. Guess it's back to the craftable Coliseum-style gear for me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Brainamp posted:

It is my hope that Aquapolis 2: Electric Boogaloo, is a thing and can be done much sooner than cap.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Ciaphas posted:

Bluuuh. I might be willing once or twice but that place feels like a soulless painful grind even moreso than FATEs. At least up to floor 50, never been beyond that.

Oh god it's gonna be 4 DPS teams for the whole time too, isn't it :cry:

Hopefully the XP curve is adjusted for 61 - 70 to make leveling through HW content just a tad easier, including POTD.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It is my hope that Aquapolis 2: Electric Boogaloo, is a thing and can be done much sooner than cap.

Well, Aquapolis 2 is most definitely 100% confirmed a thing. My bet is that it will pop off from the 8-man level 70 maps (the Dragonskin equivalent). So we'll probably be running 8man aquapolis parties right when we hit cap since we'll not be quite that geared.

That being said, expect me to run a gently caress ton of Aquapolis 2.0 groups because Aquapolis 1.0 is still my favorite thing ever put in the game. (Though I still need four more room 7 runs to get my POLIS LORD title :argh:)

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That sucks. Guess it's back to the craftable Coliseum-style gear for me.

Sounds like a win to me. I've had that glamoured to my tanks since 2.2.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm sure this has already been pointed out by others, but I just noticed it and felt clever. The RDM Icon is a merger of these Ancient Black and White Magic emblems.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zaphod42 posted:

Firstborn If you're just getting into the game now, the smart thing to do would probably be to test out different classes and figure out most importantly which role you like; tanking, healing, or damage.

Then if you can afford it, I would probably buy a story skip / level boost potion to get you up to Stormblood so you can play with other people.

This is some of the worst advice I've ever seen in this thread.

If they like the game they should go through the story and enjoy it. If they don't like the story they should consider playi something else entirely unless they have zero interest in story and only play to run content with a group of friends and specifically want to run this games content.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Desht posted:

Just getting into the game and was looking to play with goons. Is there any appreciable difference between the guilds? Or should I just choose one at random?

DGKK is home to most of the FFXI players who wish XIV was more like XI.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

ghostinmyshell posted:

What about the other 2?

Injuryprone fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 8, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ghostinmyshell posted:

What?

Injuryprone posted:

What are the differences between the 3 Excalibur guilds?

TPT has a spoiler policy, the other two are more lax on that. That's about it. Pick what house/name you like most.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

kirbysuperstar posted:

What?

TPT has a spoiler policy, the other two are more lax on that. That's about it. Pick what house/name you like most.

I'm pretty new, how do I check out the houses?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yoshi-P Famitsu interview:

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/130109-Yoshida-on-Stormblood-Jobs-Roles-and-PvP-Famitsu-Interview-Translation

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Injuryprone posted:

I'm pretty new, how do I check out the houses?

There are three quests for each residential district called where the heart is, they will show you how to reach a district.
FC links in the third post of this thread mention the address, for example 'Plot 13, 1 Ward, The Goblet (Large)', which means you need to travel to the goblet and select the first ward, then find house #13 in that ward

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

ghostinmyshell posted:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ghostinmyshell posted:

I love Tanaka

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
At what level can I queue for dungeons? I'm liking this, by the way. I like the cutscenes that show my character and stuff. My favorite FF was 12, so I also like the faux english and chaining and even the combat system kind of gives me nostalgia.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Firstborn posted:

My favorite FF was 12

You have good taste.
First dungeon is level 15. The main story will take you there.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is some of the worst advice I've ever seen in this thread.

If they like the game they should go through the story and enjoy it. If they don't like the story they should consider playi something else entirely unless they have zero interest in story and only play to run content with a group of friends and specifically want to run this games content.

homeless snail posted:

Its loving stupid advice though, because the entirety of the story quest is solo and any instance you do other people can level sync down to, there's never a circumstance in this game where you are prevented from playing with other people. Like if they end up really hating the story or want to skip directly to the endgame so they can join a bleeding edge static or something then okay, but its bad advice otherwise.

Haha gently caress you people never stop do you

MMOs are games to play with friends, and your friends are all going to be leveling and doing samurai redmagey cool poo poo in ala mhigo and doma and you're stuck asking for tam tara runs with them. Play enough of the game to make sure you'll like it and the class you pick, then get the potions and go back and do this poo poo later if you want. When everything has calmed down and there's no more new stuff to do in SB the people you want to play with will be happy to do it.

And I know you fuckers are going to come in with "I'LL RUN THOUSAND MAWS EVEN ON SB LAUNCH DAY" no you loving won't, and you know it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Whatever mix of dungeons you can get into, POTD and Fates/Leves in-between that doesn't drive you insane :)

homeless snail posted:

Chill dude. Different strokes for different folks, but its not *insane* advise.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Haha gently caress you people never stop do you

MMOs are games to play with friends, and your friends are all going to be leveling and doing samurai redmagey cool poo poo in ala mhigo and doma and you're stuck asking for tam tara runs with them. Play enough of the game to make sure you'll like it and the class you pick, then get the potions and go back and do this poo poo later if you want. When everything has calmed down and there's no more new stuff to do in SB the people you want to play with will be happy to do it.

And I know you fuckers are going to come in with "I'LL RUN THOUSAND MAWS EVEN ON SB LAUNCH DAY" no you loving won't, and you know it.

Yep.

Plus the game from level 1 to 40 is boring as gently caress. You have no abilities and all the dungeons are just different colored caves. It doesn't really start to get interesting until the ARR endgame. Heavensward is better and hopefully Stormblood is even better.

If I never see Tam Tara or Copperbell again it'll be too loving soon.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 8, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Time to level up RDM with all my buds *presses LDR button and immediately goes to tam tara*

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ghostinmyshell posted:

I was in DGKK for quite some time, and maybe once a month five or fewer people would reminisce? Did it make you salty? Turns out people who like an FF MMO... also played the other FF MMO! (They exist in the other two FCs, too!)

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I doubt Y'shtola will actually die as she seems to be the poster girl for FFXIV in its other games.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

With the Duty Finder (and later with Adventure Squadron) FF14 can be played as a single player rpg.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

So like, mid-Chocobo race just now, my account got suspended - does that mean I lose my house and stuff? :( I'm not sure why I'm suspended, I've never had this happen before. Maybe it's a security breach or something.

It doesn't say terminated, so thankfully I'm not banned.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Ither posted:

With the Duty Finder (and later with Adventure Squadron) FF14 can be played as a single player rpg.
Yeah, that. I'm desperately hoping I'll be able to take my squadron into dungeons as NPC groupmates so I don't have to worry about a bunch of loving nerds giving me a bad time and ruining my enjoyment of the game's story.

Cecily had better goddamn DPS though.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A Spider Covets posted:

So like, mid-Chocobo race just now, my account got suspended - does that mean I lose my house and stuff? :( I'm not sure why I'm suspended, I've never had this happen before. Maybe it's a security breach or something.

It doesn't say terminated, so thankfully I'm not banned.

are you sure your sub didn't just lapse?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Velthice posted:

are you sure your sub didn't just lapse?

I don't think so. It says my subscription is active. Here's a screenshot.

e: Lol, solved the mystery, removed screenshot. See you guys in a few days if I'm not online, have a good weekend. :)

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

homeless snail posted:

Time to level up RDM with all my buds *presses LDR button and immediately goes to tam tara*

If your hot advice is that it's worth it because once a day people will do a leveling roulette with you then holy poo poo.

• Locked thread