Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Trump Card posted:

One of the little things I noticed about the tech lab is the chalk lines on the floor and how over time Purah took up more and more space with her mess, while Symin's side is pretty much pristine

Oh nice, I never noticed this. There's some Hylian writing on the both sides of the chalk lines too, which seem to correspond to "director" and "famulus" ('an assistant or servant, especially one working for a magician or scholar', says google).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Futile probably, but why not Go after that first hinted memory?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kibayasu posted:

It's a shame you can't rename Link and name him, uh, Linkson or something to see what happens with the builders.
Does anybody know what happens if your name does include Son?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Does anybody know what happens if your name does include Son?

you cant rename link according to the first update.

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
You should visit the Zora via the eastern coast, I mean they're fish people right? I'm sure it's like Lurelin Village and they have their town near the shoreline.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

you cant rename link according to the first update.
:monocle:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Exploration Poll

Fashion Poll

Got roughly 24 hours to vote before I do the next play session!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bah, "let animal decide" is split into two. I demand they be treated as the combined option "let animal decide", then which has more decides which. :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You can vote for both. :ssh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Wait what

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I can't believe geurdo divine is last. It's the best you morons. Fight me.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Hey, don't tell others you can cheat the strawpoll system! We had that thing you know.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Earnestly posted:

I can't believe geurdo divine is last. It's the best you morons. Fight me.

It's my favorite.
It's also the one most obviously best left for last

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So I think my plan is to do Picture #11 first since it won't take very long at all, then go back to Kakariko and stab a Cucco and die, then travel in that direction while taking time to document and photograph the local wildlife. And maybe if I get stuck for some reason I'll shoot one of the local wildlife and see where it runs.

This one is simpler.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This LP is amazing, but I'm most looking forward to the people who read it in the archives and have no idea why you're doing these completely random and unrelated tasks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Why do we keep going east

Anyway, though the main attraction has already been explored, I still do find some new things. I'll probably do the "chase an animal" thing after I get the next updates (two or three it looks like) up. Hopefully the next random exploration covers somewhere that isn't in the southeastern area of the map!

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Well, at least they aimed you straight towards that memory? They must've overheard Pikango. Very considerate, as enraged poultry go.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Quantum Toast posted:

Well, at least they aimed you straight towards that memory? They must've overheard Pikango. Very considerate, as enraged poultry go.

Funny thing is I did the memory first before the Cucco thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mega64 posted:

We don't have to know that. :ssh:

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Mega64 posted:

In that case, I take it back.

Honestly, it's like they're not even trying to be helpful when they kill you. :argh:

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Mega64 posted:

Are you trying to cheat us out of our LP dollars, Mega64?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Our first vote is to go full Stealth Suit, but dyed purple. First part is easy enough, but for the second part, we have to visit Hateno Village.

And here's how it'll look.

Since I never really messed with dying my first game, I forgot/didn't know that you had to have ingredients of the same color to dye your clothes. Fortunately, Octo Balloons and Fireflies both count, and both are incredibly plentiful.

Had to cut the audio for the following because of some very weird technical glitches that occurred only for this part, which is kind of a shame, but the animation still stands on its own, so...

https://c.mega64.net/botw/u25/005.mp4

And there we go!

You look great! Do you find this palette-able? If you'd like to do a redye, just let me know!

Back to Kakariko.

I got a request to check out Purah's Diary, but I got the names mixed up so I checked out Paya's Diary instead. I'll check Purah's in a couple updates! But for now...

quote:

Grandmother says that she conspired with Princess Zelda and Auntie Purah 100 years ago. They decided to put a lone swordsman into a long sleep in order to prepare for an event that was foretold. Since then, Grandmother has been waiting for him to reappear after all these years. I, too, pray that he comes soon. For the sake of Hyrule...and for Grandmother's sake as well.

After sleeping for ages, Master Link has finally awoken. It seems his memory is completely gone... But that hardly mattered to Grandmother. I believe this is the first time I've ever seen her quite so happy. Master Link himself looks so gallant... He is the very picture of the hero I always imagined. His blond sideburns flow like a golden waterfall over his dignified, pointy ears. And the way his hair is so perfectly parted to the side, wow! I don't know why, but my heart won't stop beating a mile a minute...

No surprises there.

What are you doing?

I was just polishing the guardian deities. These deities are like signposts that guide us through our lives. Master Link, I want you to know that the path you are walking down is one we should all follow. I...I'm afraid doing stuff like this is the only thing I can do to help you...

So we've got a lot of fun stuff to do! But first, we're going to get a hint on that picture we got a clue for last time.

quote:

A large gate with a snowy mountain beyond it... Oh, I know that place! There is a big mountain east of this village... It's called Mount Lanayru. At the base of Mount Lanayru, on the west side of Naydra Snowfield, lies that gate. I'm almost certain!

We've already visited Mount Lanayru, so we know where it's at. But there's another clue that I picked up on (and not just because I've done all the memories in my last playthrough). I know all of you remember every single screenshot of every single update I make, so you'll already know what I'm talking about.

quote:

Past the forest of the Great Fairy Fountain was this gate, one very similar to the one in the Sheikah Slate. This is probably not the same gate, but I'm willing to bet similar gates will be along that road.

And since we're taking an actual road, Ganonhoof is temporarily back in commission!

It was here I remembered that part of my duties is to perform a wildlife expedition, and since we're literally riding some prime Hylian wildlife...

This is the majestic Giant Horse. Its massive size makes it a threat to any that cross its path.

OH COME ON

Luckily, Ganonhoof takes no crap from skeletons and starts walloping the boney butts outta them.

My strategy for this battle is to lure the Stalkoblins to Ganonhoof to be stomped to death because it's funnier that way.

The Stalkoblin is a freaking night nuisance that I wish would go away while I do important things, like photograph horses.

Oh yeah dragons will fly over certain regions at certain times. Naydra is special since we had to eliminate the malice first, but the others are available from the start.

This photo is terrible but it's the best I can do for now.

I try to chase it, but it's just too steep. What a shame.

At least this photo turns out better!

Hey, remember when we met a traveler that turned out to be a Yiga Clan member at this very spot? Surely this person whose name is merely "Traveler" won't be a Yiga spy again...right?

When my eyes finally adjusted, I found myself looking at a shimmering object floating overhead. I couldn't look away. The next thing I knew, I was bathed in light. When I came to, I woke up in bed covered in sweat.

It's just a dream, everyone has those.

At first I thought it was just a bad dream. But the bed I woke up in...wasn't my bed.

And when I touched the device... I was overwhelmed with a feeling of...familiarity. When I came to, I was here...

That's...awfully specific...

OH MY GOD A YIGA SPY

I try to get fancy with the selfie function.

It goes poorly.

Not as poorly as it goes for the Yiga Clansman, of course.

This isn't the Vicious Sickle it dropped. This is my Vicious Sickle that I threw away since it's slightly used. I thought it warranted the warning.

So this time, instead of climbing a mountain to find an area where we have to ride a deer to trigger an underground shrine a bird man is singing about, we have to ride down a road on our giant horse to remember things.

This path has Bokoblins.

The plan of the day is Magnesis.

https://c.mega64.net/botw/u25/061.mp4

The plan didn't work so Plan B is Perfect Guard it.

Remember when Blue Bokoblins were a scary threat that could one-shot us?

This area is pretty cool. Definitely an area that probably looked a lot better 100 years ago, but you can still see some story in these ruins.

No thanks.

https://c.mega64.net/botw/u25/068.mp4

So I decide to fight this guy, then he "kills" me until a fairy saves my butt. They only restore five hearts but are still a very nice panic button.

At least I repay the favor.

Another gate.

If you see a shining yellow spot, that means you've found the location of a memory!

Just stand there, recall, and...

https://c.mega64.net/botw/u25/073.mp4

There's always a cutscene where Link goes between the current and past location, until he remembers the memory of that location.

So, the memories. These are some of my favorite parts of the game. You have to find these locations almost solely on the positions of known landmarks and possibly the clues of Pikango, and your reward is cutscenes of a hundred years ago, which fill in the backstory of just what happened before Calamity Ganon struck. Of course, since you can find them in any order, you very likely will be viewing these out-of-order, but luckily there's a Memory Viewer in the quest menu that will let you view these in sequential order. Of course, there are slots for eighteen memories there even though we only have photos for twelve...

All memories are voice-acted and thus will also have accompanied videos, though I'll do screenshots as always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRj3wFR5Xxg

Music: Link's Memories - The Return of Calamity Ganon

Since the pictures are ones Princess Zelda took, Zelda figures prominently in all of the landscape memories.

At the base of the gate are a Goron, Rito, Zora, and Gerudo. As you may have guessed, these are the four other Champions responsible for piloting the Divine Beasts.

How'd everything go up there on the mountain?

Pretty poorly, judging from Zelda's reaction. Of course, we don't really know what's going on yet, but keep in mind this is likely the first memory most players (including myself) will see since the Kakariko Quest will lead you here.

I never noticed this until this screenshot, but the four champions have the designs of their Divine Beasts on their blue cloths. You can easily see it in the fabric of Urbosa, the Gerudo Champion. Link's symbol is...a bit more iconic.

No power at all?

Then let's move on. You've done all you could.

After all, it's not like your last shot was up there on Mt. Lanayru. Anything could finally spark the power to seal Ganon away. We just have to keep looking for that...thing.

It's easy to miss your first time, but here Mipha, the Zora Champion, is looking directly at Link. That's kind of important for several reasons you likely won't know for quite a long time.

Thank you.

Zelda's kinda a bit too depressed right now to take any heed of what's going on around her, though.

I thought you... Well, I'm not sure how to put this into words...

You know, what usually goes through my mind...

NOPE IT'S TIME FOR CALAMITY

This is the cue for Revali, the Rito Champion, to fly up in the air to investigate.

And guess who decided to make an appearance!

It's here.
This is it, then...
Are you sure?
Positive.
It's awake...

We're gonna need everything we got to take that thing down!

Daruk, the Goron Champion, is now taking command to get things moving since the moment of reckoning has finally hit them.

Link will need to meet Ganon head on when we attack! This needs to be a unified assault!

Unless you watch the video or read this sentence, you won't catch Revali's very quick disapproval of Link.

You can count on us for support.

We need to get you someplace safe.

I am not a child anymore! I may not be much use on the battlefield...

And that's the memory.

Congratulations! Only eleven more (plus six more besides that) to discover!

However, we get a special reward when we find our first memory. We'll discover that shortly.

However...I'm going to turn the Shrine Sensor on so we can start finding shrines in the areas we cross. And also since I know where most of these shrines are but otherwise don't have a good reason to direct us there.

Hey, there's a shrine nearby! What a completely surprising turn of events that I obviously had absolutely no knowledge of beforehand!

The Black Bokoblin is a durable and fearsome foe I would be more scared of if he weren't wielding a 4-power weapon that would only do a quarter-heart damage at most to me.

But I wasn't aware of that beforehand so I knock away his weapon with my Thunderblade.

So hey, guess what happens when you electrocute a frozen enemy?

It electrocutes everything (besides Link) in a large radius! Unfortunately, that also includes Ganonhoof (though don't worry, what doesn't kill you make you stronger). As a bonus, any other frozen enemies nearby won't be unfrozen with this attack, though the foe you attack will be. You can cheese a lot of group encounters using this delightful method.

I freeze this guy and end up killing it with a Korok Leaf. My plan was to blow it into the water, but I guess I was too close!

In case you're wondering about the Octo Balloons, it seems like you can't attach them to frozen enemies. What a missed opportunity!

The lowly Bokoblin, the weakest and most pathetic in the enemy world!

They don't deserve more words wasted on them.

The Lizalfos, a delightfully weird creature, one I'd enjoy more if they weren't so common in the places you'd least want to encounter them in.

Seriously, buying an expensive capture card just to make this Let's Play was probably worth it alone to get colorful and goofy pictures like this.

Our Sheikah Sensor is blaring like crazy in this direction, which has a path going behind the waterfall. Hmmmmmm.

Simply gliding to the other side from our current location was iffy since it was hard to tell whether I had the stamina to climb up, so why not climb up from where we are and glide down?

The treasure behind the waterfall.

The other treasure behind the waterfall.

Three boxes, huh?

This one under the water has an Opal.

I take a picture of it, and now I can play "Follow the Treasure Chests" whenever I want!

The second chest is on this platform that rises and lowers. These two are very simple to find.

The last one is on this platform. What to do...

If you see thin ropes, arrows are your friend. But alternatively, I suspect using Cryosis to get close enough would also work.

This one actually has something besides a cheap gem. Of course, I have to make room for it, so...

Goodbye, sweet club.

Three chests to weigh down the switch.

This unlocks this giant metal block.

You see, the platform rises to the level of the bottom shelf. When it lowers, we can jump onto the metal block, which will let us reach the height of the top shelf.

And on that top shelf is the monk. Another short one, though middle-of-the-road as far as shrines go, maybe leaning a bit on the easy side.

After a quick warp to Kakariko, let's get our reward.

Here. I will hand this over to you now, before I forget.

This is what Link was wearing in the memory cutscene. This armor has the highest defense in the game, and has the bonus of showing enemy health when worn. This perk also has a bonus of showing where hidden enemies may be since it'll show their health, very important for Guardians. A very great get, indeed.

This clothing was specially made for you when you became a Champion. Please handle it with care.

We're still going to rock all Stealth gear, but I figured you might want to see how Link looks in this.

Next time, we get murdered by chickens.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 25, 2017

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Unless you watch the video or read this sentence, you won't catch Revali's very quick disapproval of Link.

Falco looks down on someone? Color me surprised.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
The Champion of Hyrule people.
Still afraid of some chickens...

One of these days, I am sure that Nintendo will make the final boss some form of cuckoo monster, that summons the swarm when you hit it too many times in a row.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I love the Champion's tunic so much: it's useful, it's sturdy and it's got a great, simple design that goes with just about anything.

shame its upgrade costs though! :shepicide:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ManlyGrunting posted:

I love the Champion's tunic so much: it's useful, it's sturdy and it's got a great, simple design that goes with just about anything.

shame its upgrade costs though! :shepicide:

Its upgrade costs are pretty simple if you know what you're doing, or simply look it up.

The problem for me is it'll probably be a nightmare to upgrade for the purposes of the LP.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Legend of Zelda: Journey of 1000 Selfies

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There's a PATH?! I spent ages trying to climb up the inside of a wet waterfall chugging stamina food! Succeeded though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zebrin posted:

The Champion of Hyrule people.
Still afraid of some chickens...

One of these days, I am sure that Nintendo will make the final boss some form of cuckoo monster, that summons the swarm when you hit it too many times in a row.

Due to this game's philosophy of "what the heck, sure" if you're clever you can goad enemies into triggering the cucco swarm.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

There's a PATH?! I spent ages trying to climb up the inside of a wet waterfall chugging stamina food! Succeeded though.
poo poo like this is why I love this game. I haven't even played it, and I can just feel how many options there are to get through any particular problem.

Can't help but love Urdnot Goron.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I imagine you could also glide in through the waterfall as well.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
While I'm not sure about the VA's of the other Guardians, I do know one of them! Revali is voiced by Sean Chiplock, probably most famous for his roles of Rean Schwarzer from The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel and Kiyotaka Ishimaru from Danganronpa.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Mega64 posted:

You see, the platform rises to the level of the bottom shelf. When it lowers, we can jump onto the metal block, which will let us reach the height of the top shelf.

Huh, when I did this I just stacked all the chests into some weird staircase. I don't even remember there being a giant metal block. Man I remember thinking that it seemed my way wasn't the intended way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I imagine you could also glide in through the waterfall as well.

Nope, the water knocks you down. That was the first thing I tried when I realized the shrine was halfway up.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I seem to remember getting through by gliding. I may have had to be high enough up and going fast enough to pass through the water and then just redeploy the glider once through though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mega64 posted:

Next time, we get murdered by chickens.

:getin:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...They crammed a mecha anime into Legend of Zelda, didn't they?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Wait'll you see Link's Sentai outfit.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Holy poo poo I never noticed this the first time but each champion has a picture of their thing on their blue uniform scarf! And Link's is...

Mega64 posted:

I never noticed this until this screenshot, but the four champions have the designs of their Divine Beasts on their blue cloths. You can easily see it in the fabric of Urbosa, the Gerudo Champion. Link's symbol is...a bit more iconic.

Goddammit Mega64 you scooped my revelation!

Cythereal posted:

It was Zoids the whole time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arlenosi
Oct 12, 2016
That Yiga member's speech reminds me of a similar speech from Colonel Campbell in MGS2. It's probably not a reference to it, more likely it refers to an early idea for the game's story, but I like to think of it as one.

• Locked thread