Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tony Montana posted:

No, I disagree. It's not incompetence so much as culture. That's another part of it, they do it their way which is often nothing like the way a UK or US team and they still get results. Part of it is a lot of what I've said here, there is so much passion and emotion and history in Ferrari there can be a problem with groupthink and sticking your neck out. Also personal culture, Italians talk to each other differently to English speakers and that would translate into how they make decisions on a raceday and sure, sometimes you see them do something that makes you scratch your head.

No team that has been here for that long with that much success is incompetent.

That culture is also their greatest asset. Its a double-edged sword.

They also believe in letting stray dogs run around the engine shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think part of why Ferrari endures today is because they happened to pick up Schumi at the perfect time, re-establishing the team, and, most importantly, the brand again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Scud is backed by a large company.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Ferrari: 8 WCCs since 1998, wow, that's really good.

Incredibly Well Run Team McLaren Which Is Definitely Not An Incompetent Fraud Organization: 0 WCCs since 1998, wow, poor.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Race-winning technology hilariously stolen from Ferrari:

McLaren: 1
Ferrari: 0

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
goddamn you are my people

edit: I don't think so Io. Ferrari has no problem losing like gently caress and being terrible for long rear end stretches at a time, I assure you as a fan lol. Just when have they ever said 'well poo poo unless we start winning races and have a decent chance at the WDC we're going to leave because really.. this is all just business to us, gently caress Formula One'

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
McLaren in 2006: 0 wins, poor year.

McLaren in 2007 and 2008 after stealing all of Ferrari's brilliant race winning secrets: Lots of wins, wow. No wonder Lewis looked so good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

The most severe possible indictment of a poster's quality.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Tony Montana posted:

No

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
why doesn't wicka have the tag? he didn't ask for it?

wicka please dont be poo poo we need solidarity here

oh hey, Professional Kart Racer 1500quid, where are your seats this year for the GP? Will you be posting some pictures from the stands like I did for the Aussie GP?

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 8, 2017

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

marsisol posted:

Anyone going to Montreal this year? I was going to but I'm getting married instead. We got engaged in Montreal so now I'll have an excuse to go to every race weekend for our anniversary as long as it stays in June.

Maybe next year. We're still talking about moving there.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

oh hey, Professional Kart Racer 1500quid, where are your seats this year for the GP? Will you be posting some pictures from the stands like I did for the Aussie GP?

No sadly I blew all my money on production equipment for my YouTube beer reviews.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
When was the last time you saw a F1 race in person?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'm going to Montreal.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

No sadly I blew all my money on production equipment for my YouTube beer reviews.

This was funny

Tony Montana posted:

edit: I don't think so Io. Ferrari has no problem losing like gently caress and being terrible for long rear end stretches at a time, I assure you as a fan lol. Just when have they ever said 'well poo poo unless we start winning races and have a decent chance at the WDC we're going to leave because really.. this is all just business to us, gently caress Formula One'

I bet management 100% has an issue with losing like gently caress and being terrible for long rear end stretches of time

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

When was the last time you saw a F1 race in person?

Never and not planning on it anytime soon.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

Go to Mexico with me next year so I can pretend to be Canadian

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Let's all go to Austin and party with JT

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

This would work up until the national anthem where I get arrested.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Yep.

GramCracker posted:

I bet management 100% has an issue with losing like gently caress and being terrible for long rear end stretches of time

I do too. But it's not like we'll leave

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ferrari has had more team managers than drivers.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Counterpoint: Both Ferrari drivers are ex-World Champions and both loving legends. No drat junior drives the red car

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tony Montana posted:

Counterpoint: Both Ferrari drivers are ex-World Champions and both loving legends. No drat junior drives the red car

Kimi is only legendary in the sense that people tell tales about the times he was awake long enough to win a race.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cactrot posted:

Kimi is only legendary in the sense that people tell tales about the times he was awake long enough to win a race.

What about the times he shat and are ice cream

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

GramCracker posted:

What about the times he shat and are ice cream

If this was all anyone would ever say about me for 10 years I'd kill myself

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Kimi is 38 years old. Lewis is barely out of his 20s and Seb is still in them.

The last world champion that had a comeback was the late, great MSC and he sucked.

Kimi did not suck, he drove the wheels off that Lotus and kept that whole shitshow going for far longer than it should.

Last race, Kimi out-qualified and then fought (a bit) with the greatest driver of the modern generation, Sebastian Vettel.

Legend.

As for Sebastian, four times WDC. We have this cool thing in F1 where winning WDCs are really hard and you can perhaps fluke one or even two but someone who has won three or more is legit, period.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 8, 2017

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What about Jochen Rindt?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know enough about Rindt to comment properly.

(ITS NEVER STOPPED YOU BEFORE TONY LOLOL)

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

djssniper posted:

If you havn't watched 'Closer to the Edge' you need to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihH5uDUaqRE&t=62s

Mark Webber watching John McGuiness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCJyWWy-cBE

This took me down a rabbit hole. These dudes are insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFqJ3p3L0rI

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tony Montana posted:

I don't know enough about Rindt to comment properly.

(ITS NEVER STOPPED YOU BEFORE TONY LOLOL)

He died before things wrapped up and his opponent literally lost to a dead guy.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

He died before things wrapped up and his opponent literally lost to a dead guy.

Wasn't that Jackie Stewart and didn't he have some crippling stomach problem towards the end of that year that hosed him up really badly? I'm going from memory here but I vaguely recall something about it in his autobiography.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Carth Dookie posted:

Wasn't that Jackie Stewart and didn't he have some crippling stomach problem towards the end of that year that hosed him up really badly? I'm going from memory here but I vaguely recall something about it in his autobiography.

He beat piece of human garbage Jacky Ickx after dying at Monza.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I know that much, I saw one of the docos and his poor wife. She is still shattered from it. She was this gorgeous blonde, much like Barry Sheene's wife, and Rindt's death broke her. The interview was in her lounge room with the WDC trophy displayed on the wall behind her and the open contempt toward it from her was palpable.

But for how much of a legend he was, I don't know. What epic battles can you cite? You've gotta kinda pull up some sticking it up Alain Prost's rear end or something like I did for AJ to claim that status if you've only got the one WDC.

edit: oh a quick check and it's not quite fair to Barry's wife to put Nina up there, but she was still a very attractive woman.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 8, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tony Montana posted:

I know that much, I saw one of the docos and his poor wife. She is still shattered from it. She was this gorgeous blonde, much like Barry Sheene's wife, and Rindt's death broke her. The interview was in her lounge room with the WDC trophy displayed on the wall behind her and the open contempt toward it from her was palpable.

She was high as balls basically permanently for a long time afterwards by her own admission.

quote:

But for how much of a legend he was, I don't know. What epic battles can you cite?

Rindt vs Monza's guard rail.

I admit I don't know 60s/70s F1 super well, but I get the distinct impression Rindt was elevated in common opinion above his actual ability posthumously.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Just looking at Rindt's career, it's kinda hard to tell. He was only sorta competitive until 1969, when he joined Lotus.

On the other hand, it's still impressive that you can die with 4 races left and have three retirements and a non-points finish among 9 races, and still win the championship.

Edit: I guess he ran a good race in the 1970 Monaco GP.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Tony really hates the uk for some reason, definitely a normal rational person who can't stop mentioning how he hates an entire nation every other post.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

track day bro! posted:

Tony really hates the uk for some reason, definitely a normal rational person who can't stop mentioning how he hates an entire nation every other post.

Also the USA

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I entered this thread saying this stuff, mate. Don't try and pull the race card and try to generate some outrage, surely people are getting wise to that poo poo now. I'm talking about Formula One and what I am saying is what Enzo said before he died. It's common knowledge the English rode the post WW2 era with all the aerodynamicists they had from building aircraft for the war. Italy never had that level of sophistication. Engine design stagnated, so crate engines were a thing and Enzo's lead in engine building withered as aero technology became more and more important in F1 car design. He kept trying with crazy V12s and stuff, but eventually the crate Cosworth you could buy was just as good and you didn't have 5 guys who came from building Spitfires to help you design wings.

This was F1 for a long time and up until the hybrid engine era. Turbos came and went pretty quickly, as did other fancy things, but that aero advantage lasted a long time.

The party is now over and it's a turning point in the history of the sport.

Are you really a Ferrari fan if you don't get any of this?

edit: hey I dont hate the USA at all, just don't start telling me about your indycars and how they are real things

edit2: oh poo poo, maybe you don't understand. This is what a really international sport looks like. The American World Series of Baseball held entirely in America is not an international sport. This is what happens when for many decades countries are pitted directly against each other, they grow followings and draw conclusions. I lived in London for quite a while. I've not been to the US yet, but it's certainly on my list. One of my best friends is a researcher at Berkeley. My comments are about F1 and F1 only. Have you ever heard football (real football, what the world calls football, in the US and in my country they call it soccer) fans talk during the World Cup? Surely it would make your ears bend

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I don't know how you do it Tony but you manage to be wrong even when holding a purely subjective opinion.

• Locked thread