Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Monaghan posted:

annnnnd the worst character in OPM shows up again. hooray.

Get bent, Puri Puri Prisoner is aces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Parrotine posted:

Nah, he's terrible.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

El Burbo posted:

I like how it goes BZZZ and the next panel it's at his ear while he has a serious face. Good comedic timing

Maybe he keeps it in a bag so it doesn't get his rear end stank all over it? Because otherwise....

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I don't get it. What on earth is supposed to be so offensive about this?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I know it's the kind of stereotyping equivalent to where you give the gay guy in your sitcom a lisp, but I still find gay guys being muscled men a much more refreshing stereotype that at least doesn't refresh public image of gays as sissies, IMHO.

Sure, it's bad, but it is throwing rocks in a glass house, especially these days.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

TowerofOil posted:

I don't get it. What on earth is supposed to be so offensive about this?

It isn't offensive to anyone but those looks for something to be offended by. It's a stereotype, and it's funny in a disturbing way, which it is supposed to be.

Anyone who didn't at least smile when the phone rang in his butt is dead inside.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
there is a heavy implication, if not flat out saying, in his introduction extra chapter that Puri Puri Prisoner sexually assaults men he finds attractive and forcefully creates his own harem. specifically targeting criminals, like Sonic at the time, because no one cares about prisoners. He has also considered the best way to get into a relationship with Genos who is 16 years old. The only queer character in this manga being an imprisoned rapist with an interest in underage men that no one likes or takes seriously super loving sucks.

I'd say ONE dropped that character trait but considering this chapter established he still has his harem, that appears to be not at all the case.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 8, 2017

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Moltrey posted:

there is a heavy implication, if not flat out saying, in his introduction extra chapter that Puri Puri Prisoner sexually assaults men he finds attractive and forcefully creates his own harem. specifically targeting criminals, like Sonic at the time, because no one cares about prisoners. He has also considered the best way to get into a relationship with Genos who is 16 years old. The only queer character in this manga being an imprisoned rapist with an interest in young men that no one likes or takes seriously super loving sucks.

I'd say ONE dropped that character trait but considering this chapter established he still has his harem, that appears to be not at all the case.

I would say that this is Puri's character arc! To realize that this is a bad thing, and through the manga he will realize the errors of his ways.

Plot progression! Character arcs!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I know it's the kind of stereotyping equivalent to where you give the gay guy in your sitcom a lisp, but I still find gay guys being muscled men a much more refreshing stereotype that at least doesn't refresh public image of gays as sissies, IMHO.

Sure, it's bad, but it is throwing rocks in a glass house, especially these days.

tbf the 'public image' of gay guys is dependent on culture and I don't think it's as common a perception in Japan so it'd be pretty weird if that was the stereotype being enforced.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Moltrey posted:

there is a heavy implication, if not flat out saying, in his introduction extra chapter that Puri Puri Prisoner sexually assaults men he finds attractive and forcefully creates his own harem. specifically targeting criminals, like Sonic at the time, because no one cares about prisoners. He has also considered the best way to get into a relationship with Genos who is 16 years old. The only queer character in this manga being an imprisoned rapist with an interest in underage men that no one likes or takes seriously super loving sucks.

What. Genos is 19.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Parrotine posted:

I would say that this is Puri's character arc! To realize that this is a bad thing, and through the manga he will realize the errors of his ways.

Being a gay stereotype is not a character arc, and is offensive.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Parrotine posted:

Yeah, it's not.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
So the reason this is bad is that a gay character is a bad person and a gay person for some reason can't be bad. Puri Puri Prisoner to my own limited knowledge doesn't fall into any common gay man cliché/tropes.

Schwarzwald posted:

Being a gay stereotype is not a character arc, and is offensive.

I am honestly not aware of this. When did "rapist" (I don't think this comic is so dark as to have an outright rapist as a hero) become a common stereotype.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

From what I understand he follows a lot of Japanese stereotypes of gay men. Also, perhaps just as importantly he's not that good or interesting a character.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Parrotine posted:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's really no way to disagree that Puri Puri Prisoner is a Big Gay Prison Rapist And That's The Joke, the thing is that some people like the comic anyways because they're not really that offended by it. It's a little lazy, and an obvious stereotype, but I for one am not that interested in trying to prove myself morally superior over the regressive social norms of some little country that wouldn't let me move there anyways and is only relevant to any of us because they make the animes and mangas.

I broke out of prison just to see you~ <3

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TowerofOil posted:

So the reason this is bad is that a gay character is a bad person and a gay person for some reason can't be bad. Puri Puri Prisoner to my own limited knowledge doesn't fall into any common gay man cliché/tropes.

I am honestly not aware of this. When did "rapist" (I don't think this comic is so dark as to have an outright rapist as a hero) become a common stereotype.

Puri is all the bad ones rolled into one.

At least Japanese ones

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Prisoner is alright.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

free hug and butt phone were both really good

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

one-sensy, i will vet all of your jokes in future all u have to do is tell me the ending of one punch mans

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I like Pri Pri Prisoner as a character and I also accept that he is an unfortunate stereotype. That said, the rapist angle is, as far as I know, mentioned once in his backstory and never brought up again and instead he spends his time being cool and funny and beating the poo poo out of monsters so he is more of a Cool Dude than a Bad Dude IMO.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The entire premise of the character is a bad, regrettable, and inescapable joke, but it is true that the character has subsequently been used in a handful of good jokes.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I would be more okay with Puri-Puri Prisoner were it not for the redrawn-version-only gaiden chapter (which I think is the only bit of the manga that actually details his prison-rapist activities). He would still be kind of an awkward stereotype but at least he would be just creepy instead of... creepy.

Free Hugs is probably the funniest monster in the whole manga though.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The way minorities are presented always has more political weight. In a manga entirely consisting of heterosexual men, the few minorities are way more representative of what being gay or being a woman is like/should be like. They have representative power because you can't just point to the next gay character and go "Look, this dude is completely different". At least there are like three women in Onepunch Man, so it's easy to get more differentiated. Puri Puri Prisoner is the only gay character around, so he carries full representative power. Not only is he a serial rapist, he is also the only possible gay superhero in a manga full of fun, inventive superheroes.

Anyway, Saitama's head looked weird this chapter:

Is he slowly becoming a Conehead?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

And More posted:

The way minorities are presented always has more political weight. In a manga entirely consisting of heterosexual men, the few minorities are way more representative of what being gay or being a woman is like/should be like. They have representative power because you can't just point to the next gay character and go "Look, this dude is completely different". At least there are like three women in Onepunch Man, so it's easy to get more differentiated. Puri Puri Prisoner is the only gay character around, so he carries full representative power. Not only is he a serial rapist, he is also the only possible gay superhero in a manga full of fun, inventive superheroes.

"Should"?

Must this story necessarily be didactic? "Representative power"? Why should there be any such thing? Nobody in this thread seems to have any trouble realising that gay people are not generally like Puri Puri. I imagine the Japanese audience is capable of reaching the same conclusion.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

one-sensy, i will vet all of your jokes in future all u have to do is tell me the ending of one punch mans

The ending of Onepunch Man is that Saitama punches something once.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
ONE is generally pretty good, but the prison rapist homosexual is not the hill to die on as far as defending him.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I preferred it when it was just that he had a boyfriend and wore a sweater he knitted for him and seemed mostly to stay in prison to creep in men he found hot.

Actually, I don't remember, was rape very overt what he was doing to the inmates?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I preferred it when it was just that he had a boyfriend and wore a sweater he knitted for him and seemed mostly to stay in prison to creep in men he found hot.

Actually, I don't remember, was rape very overt what he was doing to the inmates?

In one of the bonus chapters it's explicitly stated iirc. Perhaps it's a translation issue akin to the One Piece one where fantranslators translated "the power of the Afro" when Luffy wore an Afro wig as "the power of the blacks".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

EmmyOk posted:

In one of the bonus chapters it's explicitly stated iirc. Perhaps it's a translation issue akin to the One Piece one where fantranslators translated "the power of the Afro" when Luffy wore an Afro wig as "the power of the blacks".

It's not.

Plus this chapter features him being upset that his collection of prison rape victims has been stolen from him so

yeah

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
This discussion is all interesting and all but WHEN WILL ANIME BE RESPECTED BY THE WEST

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

It's not.

Plus this chapter features him being upset that his collection of prison rape victims has been stolen from him so

yeah

He definitely has a harem but whether he was a rapist or not I thought could be a translation thing. Not saying it is just suggesting the possibility however unlikely. For now I've taken it as fact and it's a really bad and disgusting joke and plenty of PPP is quite bad imo. It's one of those things I enjoy OPM despite of rather than because of, even without explicit rape it's still really bad gay panic which is bad.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

I believe the panel went something like "Sure I rape them, but they're all criminals so it's totally okay! [AUTHOR NOTE: THIS IS NOT OKAY AT ALL AND VERY VERY WRONG]" which is mildly funny but does not undo the tasteless joke.

Agreed ONE is a fantastic author and Big Gay Prison Rapist Hee Hee is an odd misstep in an otherwise fantastic manga, let's talk about Free Hugger he is the best monster ever. A+ monster design.

Aug 24, 2011

:tvtropes:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bisse posted:

Agreed ONE is a fantastic author and Big Gay Prison Rapist Hee Hee is an odd misstep in an otherwise fantastic manga, let's talk about Free Hugger he is the best monster ever. A+ monster design.

Kill Puri Puri and replace him in the hero association with Free Hugger.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My favourite monster is the seaweed headed one that beats up Springer Mustachio and Golden ball that Saitam later stews.

I also really liked pre-rain Sea King.

I can see you're a cool customer

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Like the one that that Puri Puri Prisoner has going for him is that he seems to be one of the only S-class heroes that gives 3/5ths of a poo poo about what happens to innocent civvies regardless if he thinks they're cute or not. Most of the rest of the S-class are either too into fighting or are psychotic assholes or secretly evil or are mute.

Other than that he's kind of a collection of offensive stereotypes. But well, Japan. This is the country that gave us the top-selling American Football manga where "The breathtaking run of the black man" was a phrase and that was like within the last 10 years and not written by a 200 year-old mangaka like Hajime no Ippo was

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Other than that he's kind of a collection of offensive stereotypes. But well, Japan. This is the country that gave us the top-selling American Football manga where "The breathtaking run of the black man" was a phrase and that was like within the last 10 years and not written by a 200 year-old mangaka like Hajime no Ippo was

Also drawn by Murata! you menace! The black guy was also called Panther.

Aug 24, 2011

just realised we now wont ever see saitama hug free hugs and not realise he's a monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

where the red fern gropes posted:

just realised we now wont ever see saitama hug free hugs and not realise he's a monster

that would have been amazing