Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
Doing the calculations it would actually make more sense to just upgrade to the X100F instead of getting the XT1, 23mm and 60mm. I've lived with the just the one focal length for so long I'd probably leave the 60mm at home most of the time anyway. I'll spend the extra money on more medium format stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Also the 60mm kinda sucks.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
X100F is cool. I got one of the off brand lens hoods that comes with the filter adapter and tossed on a B+W filter to rock it without lens cap.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Okay, question for the x-t2 owners since I just went out and used my camera a bunch and am far more comfortable with it now. (only owned it for a month and a half now)

Is there a reason I feel like the focus check (push in on the dial to zoom to 1:1) doesn't zoom in as much as I think it should? like it feels more like 1:2 or 1:4 or something rather than zooming in all the way. It works alright but when the subject is small against the background I'd like to get a higher zoom level to check focus. I haven't been able to find anywhere in the menus to adjust this so maybe it's not possible. Just curious.

also... does anybody else get a strange white band flash across their screen during blackout between shots occasionally? I don't think it effects performance at all but it is distracting.

Here are some photos I've taken with it in the past couple of weeks. Super happy with the performance, definitely exceeds the X-T1 in pretty much every way while retaining everything I loved about it.

http://www.justin-kent.com/joshuatree

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Sick photos! Also, the whole group is really looking old!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm thinking of trying my hand at some video recording since I've got a GX85, and I was wondering about external mic syncing. I don't want to go all down the external monitor route, just a stand alone mic/recorder of some sort, synced in post. It's probably going to suck, so I don't want to invest a ton on hardware and software suites, so is syncing external audio pretty straight forward in something like iMovie? Basically what's the easiest, less expensive way of doing this?

Ok so these questions are only tangentially related to mirrorless cameras but please don't make me dig through A/T for a how to videography thread.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

MMD3 posted:

Okay, question for the x-t2 owners since I just went out and used my camera a bunch and am far more comfortable with it now. (only owned it for a month and a half now)

Is there a reason I feel like the focus check (push in on the dial to zoom to 1:1) doesn't zoom in as much as I think it should? like it feels more like 1:2 or 1:4 or something rather than zooming in all the way. It works alright but when the subject is small against the background I'd like to get a higher zoom level to check focus. I haven't been able to find anywhere in the menus to adjust this so maybe it's not possible. Just curious.

also... does anybody else get a strange white band flash across their screen during blackout between shots occasionally? I don't think it effects performance at all but it is distracting.

Here are some photos I've taken with it in the past couple of weeks. Super happy with the performance, definitely exceeds the X-T1 in pretty much every way while retaining everything I loved about it.

There's two zoom settings for the scroll wheel. Just push to zoom then scroll right or left to zoom in further, it will default to whatever you leave it on when you zoom out.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Business of Ferrets posted:

Sick photos! Also, the whole group is really looking old!

They're certainly getting older, still pretty spry though ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ELSbtI7Wdg

8th-snype posted:

There's two zoom settings for the scroll wheel. Just push to zoom then scroll right or left to zoom in further, it will default to whatever you leave it on when you zoom out.

whoa, didn't know this... going to try it now. would have been super helpful to have figured this out a few weeks ago :cry:

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 7, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I'm thinking of trying my hand at some video recording since I've got a GX85, and I was wondering about external mic syncing.

I'm thinking about buying one and have thought about the same. Sync should be pretty easy, if you can zoom in on the waveform in the editor. Since you record audio internally anyway, you just sync two audio tracks. You can make a clap or other sharp sound at the beginning of the recording and line up the peaks. The nuisance is pressing record on two things, maybe you let the sound roll while you stop and start video recording, then you have to figure out which sound file belongs to which video etc etc. You can take a leaf out of the pros' book here, let the audio recorder run all the time, but remember to film it at the beginning of every shot so you see the timecode.

With this in mind I've been searching for a Bluetooth mic which lets me use a phone app for recording, preferably one that can fit a sock and be mounted on the hotshoe. Any ideas?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

I'm thinking about buying one and have thought about the same. Sync should be pretty easy, if you can zoom in on the waveform in the editor. Since you record audio internally anyway, you just sync two audio tracks. You can make a clap or other sharp sound at the beginning of the recording and line up the peaks. The nuisance is pressing record on two things, maybe you let the sound roll while you stop and start video recording, then you have to figure out which sound file belongs to which video etc etc. You can take a leaf out of the pros' book here, let the audio recorder run all the time, but remember to film it at the beginning of every shot so you see the timecode.

With this in mind I've been searching for a Bluetooth mic which lets me use a phone app for recording, preferably one that can fit a sock and be mounted on the hotshoe. Any ideas?

Plenty of hotshoe mounted mics, but I don't know if anyone's thought to include Bluetooth connectivity. Probably the best thing to do is hot glue a hot shoe base to a decent Bluetooth mic.
That's a good tip for audio sync. Thinking maybe some beep or something rather than a clap that spooks the assorted beasts being filmed that take offense and try to eat me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ideally the sound recording app would be able to beep and flash its timecode on command. Might be a good app learning project for me. Do you have any good suggestions for Bluetooth mics? There's a zillion gold glittering karaoke mics in the Google search result to wade through.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This guy review a sony bt wireless mike to work with his gimbal .

https://youtu.be/KFI_6SiEXBE

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
There are plenty of clapboard apps (or just get a clapboard!) if you want timecode/sound cues. Which admittedly does add another piece of equipment to the mix.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh my god, it's a miracle! My X-T20 finally shipped, 5 weeks later! And now to play the UPS Ground waiting game.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Ideally the sound recording app would be able to beep and flash its timecode on command. Might be a good app learning project for me. Do you have any good suggestions for Bluetooth mics? There's a zillion gold glittering karaoke mics in the Google search result to wade through.

I was digging around the major mic manufacturer websites and found this linked from Shure: http://www.jkaudio.com/bluedriver.htm
Just plug that into whatever mic you want to use and now it's a Bluetooth mic that you can pair with your phone. Seems like a good solution.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I was digging around the major mic manufacturer websites and found this linked from Shure: http://www.jkaudio.com/bluedriver.htm
Just plug that into whatever mic you want to use and now it's a Bluetooth mic that you can pair with your phone. Seems like a good solution.

Nice! Pricey though, $235 on Amazon. That reminds me, I have a Sony SBH20 somewhere, a square little thing you'd clip to your lapel and plug in headphones. It pairs with the phone and sends stereo output one way and mic input the other. However, without knowing much about the Bluetooth protocol, I think there are limits to how good the audio input is. You might need something like the JK Audio thing to get properly good sound. With XLR it gets kinda bulky, but then the mic choice is vast. (edit: With hot shoe mounts galore as well) Very good find.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I ended up buying the Fujifilm​ X-A3 and it has been working great. Had a baby yesterday so we've taken a zillion pictures and they've turned out real nice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I ended up buying the Fujifilm​ X-A3 and it has been working great. Had a baby yesterday so we've taken a zillion pictures and they've turned out real nice.

congrats!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

canyoneer posted:

That is a slippery slope. When my daughter was born was when I started getting more serious about photography and got my first non film decent camera and it has been many thousands of dollars and all downhill from there.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Fuji, the official camera of sex havers.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

congrats!

Seconded. Congrats on the baby as well!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

8th-snype posted:

Fuji, the official camera of sex havers.

Rather the opposite. They are the cameras for the post-sex life

- Olympus user :smuggo:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Olympus: I saw a boob once

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Sony: I'm technically a virgin because I get a new body every other month

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

JHVH-1 posted:

X100F is cool. I got one of the off brand lens hoods that comes with the filter adapter and tossed on a B+W filter to rock it without lens cap.

I've used every X100 since the original with nothing but a lens hood, I have never had an issue with any of them and it also avoids issues with glare/IQ bullshit from otherwise useless filters

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
https://fstoppers.com/gear/sony-releases-firmware-updates-alpha-mirrorless-cameras-179484

quote:

Sony a7 II
Adds “Live View Display” into custom button assignation

hooray

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

rio posted:

That is a slippery slope. When my daughter was born was when I started getting more serious about photography and got my first non film decent camera and it has been many thousands of dollars and all downhill from there.

I mean kids drain your bank account and put you into crippling debt, why not throw in a few lenses with that daycare bill?

'Grats canyoneer!

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

MMD3 posted:

I noticed the white band bit the other day. It seemed to come up most often when I was using chain drive... but it would only occur after I took a few shots, stopped for a moment, and then tried to focus so I could shoot again. The band would flash for a moment just right before it would try to hunt for focus. I was shooting in compressed RAW so maybe it was some weird effect of the camera trying to do so much at once?

I love the shots you got with it. I'm really digging this camera for concert stuff.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Heads up for Fuji people Godox's new small flash has am instock date on amazon now. http://a.co/c1QLQCM Looks like a great flash, TTL, HSS, wireless built in and what appears to be a functioning AF assist light according to their chart. I'm getting one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EM1 mk2 arrives today woooo :toot:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DJExile posted:

EM1 mk2 arrives today woooo :toot:

:hfive:

My X-T20 arrives today, 6 weeks after ordering it. My first real camera and I am going to spend all day at work playing with it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

New stuff on 43rumors, so grain of salt and all that, but none of this seems too out-of-the-ordinary

quote:

2017 will be obviously a slow year for the MFT world. We just got the GH5 and E-M1II and in 2017 we will only get some “minor” stuff. This is what to expect:

Olympus E-M10III in July (4K, 20MP sensor, improved AF and improved 5 axis stabilization)
New Panasonic MFT camera in late summer-early fall
New Olympus lenses during the second half of 2017
New Leica 50-200mm f/2.8-4.0 in late Summer early Autumn

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Does anybody know if the Godox TT350o works on the E-M5 mark I? It says it works for the Mark II but that may be because they've just listed current models.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 13, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8th-snype posted:

Heads up for Fuji people Godox's new small flash has am instock date on amazon now. http://a.co/c1QLQCM Looks like a great flash, TTL, HSS, wireless built in and what appears to be a functioning AF assist light according to their chart. I'm getting one.

Are you getting it w the trigger? How much is the trigger?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Does anybody know if the Godox TT350o works on the E-M5 mark I? It says it works for the Mark II but that may be because they've just listed current models.

I can't see why it wouldn't.

E: yeah specs show it working for far older PEN bodies than the EM5 Mk I. You should be fine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh my god the EM1 MkII is here and it loving rules. I'll do a comparison between this and the Mk I if people want later tonight

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

definitely, I'm sorta kicking myself for not jumping on one for 200 off.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DJExile posted:

I can't see why it wouldn't.

E: yeah specs show it working for far older PEN bodies than the EM5 Mk I. You should be fine.
Cool, thanks. :)

DJExile posted:

Oh my god the EM1 MkII is here and it loving rules. I'll do a comparison between this and the Mk I if people want later tonight
Yeah I'm looking to upgrade my E-M5 at some point and I'm unsure if I want to go E-M1 mk 1 or 2 so please do.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I spent about half an hour figuring out how the strap installed on my new X-T20. This is going to be a bit of a learning process. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Internet Explorer posted:

I spent about half an hour figuring out how the strap installed on my new X-T20. This is going to be a bit of a learning process. :downs:
The instructions could have been slightly more clear.

Don't worry! It's all uphill from here.