Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Doesn't the rainforest description say disease is more likely, or is that just flavour text?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I get diseases I normally don't get in tropical areas. And in higher frequency. Either that's the case, or I'm getting better at Rimworld so my colonists have time to develop diseases.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I'm on arid right now, and three out of my five tribespeople got the plague, and one of those was the doctor. It was OK at first, but as the doctor's own plague progressed, the 20% penalty to his manipulation prevented him from applying high enough quality treatments to the others. And he had to self-tend, which has a penalty on its own.

All three died due to basically a random stroke of luck and there was nothing I could have done to prevent it.

If you want to fix that you can add a global modifier in a custom start that increases the immunity gain speed multiplier by like 10%. Basically it will make bedrest really good at treating disease.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

basic hitler posted:

do ancient ruins ever justify themselves? The last one I opened, i had to kill 3 megaspiders. I lost a guy, a bonded pet, and another really useful guy lost an arm and a leg. For my troubles I got a stack of 10 gold, a flamethrower or some thing like that, and a cryopod with a hostile lady in it who proceeded to maim another guy before she was killed in the fight.

That so very much was not worth it, that i opted to reload on an autosave and ignore it

Sometimes they are targeted by raiders ♡

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The pods themselves can be useful and disassemble for materials.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

buglord posted:

I get diseases I normally don't get in tropical areas. And in higher frequency. Either that's the case, or I'm getting better at Rimworld so my colonists have time to develop diseases.

tropical biomes definitely have more diseases and higher rates of them.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Hey guys, maybe you can help me out. I switched to a new laptop and reinstalled Rimworld and downloaded my mods through Steam. Nothing funky so far. But then I get into the game, and instead of downloading all of my mods, it just downloaded like the first four. The rest are stuck as "Downloading..." forever.

I tried verifying the game files, but no dice. Any suggestions on how to get them working?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The game itself doesn't handle downloading of mods, that's Steam.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

A Spider Covets posted:

Hey guys, maybe you can help me out. I switched to a new laptop and reinstalled Rimworld and downloaded my mods through Steam. Nothing funky so far. But then I get into the game, and instead of downloading all of my mods, it just downloaded like the first four. The rest are stuck as "Downloading..." forever.

I tried verifying the game files, but no dice. Any suggestions on how to get them working?

There are some work-arounds which are explained in the Steam support forum, but on cases where verify doesnt work, in my opinion the only surefire option is the full remove local installation-reinstall-cycle. Just tell Steam to keep the local settings and save files.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Flesh Forge posted:

A Spider Covets posted:

The game itself doesn't handle downloading of mods, that's Steam.
Moreover, when you launch a game steam workshop will pause all downloads.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

The pods themselves can be useful and disassemble for materials.

Whenever I open pods the people inside fallout, throw up and then die. I laugh every time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, I'm just hoping Tynan's mindset doesn't become "well, someone can mod that in."

Which is a real risk with moddable games: developers becoming complacent and putting the burden of new/improved features on modders.
I would more doubt it happening because it's a major design philosophy break. Most of the first principles simulation at an element level is for basic environmental stuff like temperature. The stuff then meant to throw wrenches in your plan all come from the storyteller. There's a ton of top down forcing for what is a simulation game which is probably partly philosophical and partly trying to aim for lowest denominator in performance because I assume detailed agent and element simulation in Unity is rough compared to the optimizations of being shoulder deep in code in something like Dwarf Fortress.

At the bottom line it's an effort for reward thing and the development is most comfortable in throwing events in the storyteller hopper to get the reward for effort they are looking for.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

haha a group of sapping raiders just dug into the ancient danger and got owned

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

What method does everyone use for cracking open ancient dangers? I set up sand bags outside, shot a hole in the wall with all my guys, and then sent my pacifist pyro in to open the first casket. I've heard of people building wooden rooms around the opening and setting everything on fire to raise the temperature inside, to kill bugs.

Last danger I cracked open, only about 2 of the 6 guys were able to fight, 1 died almost immediately from his wounds, 1 got up and just walked off the map, and 1 died due to a stray bullet. I captured the last lady and she actually had decent stats, and also apparently loving HATED the rest of those guys. She had 3 "rival died" bonuses.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i handle ancient dangers by using a modified version of the attack bunker that i keep posting. i just use double-thick walls, inner walls made of wood, with an incendiary IED right in front of the turret's sandbag. then to reveal it i simply have someone disassemble the wall and run the hell away.

in this way:

1) if it's mechanoids, they will gently caress around, attack the turret at a range, and the turret will win
2) if it's hostile humans, they will generally attack the turret at range, the turret will win. if they're heavy melee they will step on the IED, roast themselves, and the turret will continue firing.
3) if it's bugs, they will charge the turret and step on the IED, which will set the inner walls on fire and roast themselves

though since A17 i'll probably just switch to simply using wooden floors because gently caress double thick walls on defensive structures they're annoying

i tend to crack open ancient dangers once i have IED tech and a turret to spare. the cryptosleep caskets in ancient dangers are very nice tools to have around if someone is hosed or something.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Efexeye posted:

haha a group of sapping raiders just dug into the ancient danger and got owned

My last colony this happened to me and I thought it was awesome, until later a group of tribespeople showed up to "help". They chased the bugs down and got slaughtered, but there were enough of them fleeing that some of them survived long enough to kite the bugs to my nascent base and kill everyone.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

i handle ancient dangers by using a modified version of the attack bunker that i keep posting. i just use double-thick walls, inner walls made of wood, with an incendiary IED right in front of the turret's sandbag. then to reveal it i simply have someone disassemble the wall and run the hell away.

in this way:

1) if it's mechanoids, they will gently caress around, attack the turret at a range, and the turret will win
2) if it's hostile humans, they will generally attack the turret at range, the turret will win. if they're heavy melee they will step on the IED, roast themselves, and the turret will continue firing.
3) if it's bugs, they will charge the turret and step on the IED, which will set the inner walls on fire and roast themselves

though since A17 i'll probably just switch to simply using wooden floors because gently caress double thick walls on defensive structures they're annoying

i tend to crack open ancient dangers once i have IED tech and a turret to spare. the cryptosleep caskets in ancient dangers are very nice tools to have around if someone is hosed or something.

i deconstruct the wall and just send in a bunch of tamed boomrats and boomalopes :smug:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

enraged_camel posted:

I'm on arid right now, and three out of my five tribespeople got the plague, and one of those was the doctor. It was OK at first, but as the doctor's own plague progressed, the 20% penalty to his manipulation prevented him from applying high enough quality treatments to the others. And he had to self-tend, which has a penalty on its own.

All three died due to basically a random stroke of luck and there was nothing I could have done to prevent it.

I just turned off diseases like malaria and plague after a game where 4 of my 7 colonists came down with one of them. I managed to save 3 of the 4 but it took so much effort and more or less ground everything to a halt. Then a few days later it threw it at me again. So I said gently caress it and abandoned the colony, turned both of them off, and set immunity gain to 110% because I did not find that disease/infection was all that fun of gameplay.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 8, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I played this game a little bit but I couldn't get through any of the combat without save scumming it was kinda frustrating

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

i deconstruct the wall and just send in a bunch of tamed boomrats and boomalopes :smug:

:hai:

EvanTH posted:

I played this game a little bit but I couldn't get through any of the combat without save scumming it was kinda frustrating

i've said this a thousand times but i'll probably say it a thousand times more: get turrets, use turrets, love turrets. if a colonist gets shot, you need a bed, food, medicine, and prayer (the last to avoid an infection). if a colonist gets shot a lot, you need a grave and a big redesign of your labor sharing. if a turret gets shot, you need some dude to make welder noises at it for 15 minutes. if a turret gets shot a lot, you need 3 components and 150 steel. you can use your colonists in support of the turrets, but the turrets need to make up the cornerstone of your defense one god drat hundred percent of the time.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 8, 2017

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Coolguye posted:

i've said this a thousand times but i'll probably say it a thousand times more: get turrets, use turrets, love turrets. if a colonist gets shot, you need a bed, food, medicine, and prayer (the last to avoid an infection). if a colonist gets shot a lot, you need a grave and a big redesign of your labor sharing. if a turret gets shot, you need some dude to make welder noises at it for 15 minutes. if a turret gets shot a lot, you need 3 components and 150 steel. you can use your colonists in support of the turrets, but the turrets need to make up the cornerstone of your defense one god drat hundred percent of the time.

And if you make turrets out of plasteel they can survive nearby turret explosions and it's no longer an explosion cascade, which is really nice, and the huge pile of extra health is really useful.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

While we're on combat tips -- any general advice on dealing with sappers? I lost my last colony because I got overexcited and rushed to meet them before the mountain i was hugging was full of holes.

Frontal assaults haven't been much of an issue for me so far (I haven't got to any huge invasions though), but when they come at me sideways like this.. goddamn.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
I had an unguarded item cache opportunity pop up yesterday. When my caravan got to it, there was a waiting pack of manhunter cats. Somehow the pawn ran off the map and I lost the item cache. Anyone else have something like this happen?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

with sappers i just try to rush them with melee guys since the grenadiers can't really fight back once you're inside their range. as for rocket launchers...i hope you got a sniper rifle and someone with 12 shooting

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's a handful of things you can do with sappers. most of them are more advanced in terms of stuff to do but it's worth bearing in mind as you design things.

the number one thing to do is to give them a false node of wealth to target. tombs work best for this. build some sarcophagi out of wood and bury dead raiders in them. this causes the tombs to be worth a fair bit, and therefore makes it more likely that dummies will target them during a raid. put these false wealth nodes behind thinner walls than normal to make them even more attractive. inside the tomb you can then just place an incendiary IED or something like that to torch the place. the gently caress do you care anyway

the more generalized thing you do is to make a kind of bunker entrenchment behind questionable sections of wall or mountain. these should be nothing more than stone walls, with u-shaped sections to place turrets, and capped with a sandbag. they should not be crewed full time - that's a huge waste of resources. if you have a sapper show up near the questionable section of land, quickly reappropriate turrets and a battery, get them going, and use either a trained animal or a colonist with a personal shield to adjust the dorks into the facing of the bunker. once they're engaged with the bunker and distracted you can maneuver other colonists to flank and finish them.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

EvanTH posted:

What helped me was turning on permadeath mode and just accepting the fact that people will die and bases will implode. When I had the ability to save scum I got a lot less enjoyment out of the game. Once you lose a couple bases you learn how to defend them a little easier. If you are looking for an easy start I recommend mountain maps they are a lot easier to wall up and defend; also the lone rich guy start gives you a charge rifle and plenty of medicine which is super powerful.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not too tech-savvy sometimes.

I uninstalled RimWorld and tried to delete all of the files in its folder, but Windows throws a fit about permissions every time I try to delete the Mods folder, even after giving administrative privileges. Now the game just shows up as "Download paused" on Steam. I'm re-downloading the game now; it got to 100%, but now it says Download paused and when I try to play it, I get a pop-up saying the following:

"An error occurred while updating Rimworld (missing file privileges:)

c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorldMods\Core\About\"

Sounds like I might have to go talk to Steam support when I'm feeling better and my sinuses aren't exploding. Going to try rebooting first.

update: Lol, that made it worse. Now I can't even start installation. OK, I give up for now.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 9, 2017

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Anybody know of any mods that will let you assign specific colonists to bills on crafting benches? For example I only want my best crafter making power armor, and I only want my cannibals butchering humans. I thought I saw something like this for a17 but I can't remember what it was called.

Edit: just had a prisoner bug out, I released him, but he was in so much pain that when his smokeleaf high wore off he collapsed in the middle of my base. Then I noticed he was missing a leg, so I had someone slap a peg leg on him. But they took him back to his cell to do it, and now he's locked in there, but he's already been released so my wardens won't acknowledge him. So he's just in there pacing and starving because I can't even force someone to bring him food or let him out.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 9, 2017

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

A Moose posted:

Anybody know of any mods that will let you assign specific colonists to bills on crafting benches? For example I only want my best crafter making power armor, and I only want my cannibals butchering humans. I thought I saw something like this for a17 but I can't remember what it was called.

Edit: just had a prisoner bug out, I released him, but he was in so much pain that when his smokeleaf high wore off he collapsed in the middle of my base. Then I noticed he was missing a leg, so I had someone slap a peg leg on him. But they took him back to his cell to do it, and now he's locked in there, but he's already been released so my wardens won't acknowledge him. So he's just in there pacing and starving because I can't even force someone to bring him food or let him out.

Can you take his organs?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

A Moose posted:

There is one like this, don't recall the name though, and a cursory look on Steam isn't turning it up. Will let you know if I happen across it.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
how do you make neutroamine now?

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

A Moose posted:

You can do this indirectly by setting the min/max skills for each bill, or putting the production area in a zone only certain people are allowed into. If anyone knows a better way to do it though, I'm all ears.

quote:

Try drafting someone and attempting to capture him again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kharnifex posted:

how do you make neutroamine now?

I don't think you ever could, it's meant to be a non craftable item.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volmarias posted:

I don't think you ever could, it's meant to be a non craftable item.

Yeah, that's the Vanilla situation. Vegetable garden lets you grow it if you're looking for a way.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

A Spider Covets posted:

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not too tech-savvy sometimes.

I uninstalled RimWorld and tried to delete all of the files in its folder, but Windows throws a fit about permissions every time I try to delete the Mods folder, even after giving administrative privileges. Now the game just shows up as "Download paused" on Steam. I'm re-downloading the game now; it got to 100%, but now it says Download paused and when I try to play it, I get a pop-up saying the following:

"An error occurred while updating Rimworld (missing file privileges:)

c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorldMods\Core\About\"

Sounds like I might have to go talk to Steam support when I'm feeling better and my sinuses aren't exploding. Going to try rebooting first.

update: Lol, that made it worse. Now I can't even start installation. OK, I give up for now.

Did you fully close and end task on steam before you started doing all that? It's not gonna work if steam has those files open.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Yeah. I think it's just Windows 10 being mischievous; my old laptop uses 7 and never had a problem like this. I sent support a message. If we figure it out, I'll post the solution here in case anyone has the same problem and goes looking further down the line. :)

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Azhais posted:

Yeah, that's the Vanilla situation. Vegetable garden lets you grow it if you're looking for a way.

There's also a mod that lets you drain a precursor to Neutroamine from Boomalopes and Boomrats.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=765351437

Incidentally, the screenshot on this mod is how I discovered today that chairs can effect comfort while crafting.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Viscous Soda posted:

Incidentally, the screenshot on this mod is how I discovered today that chairs can effect comfort while crafting.

Does that affect crafting speed? Because if not I don't give a gently caress. :P

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A Spider Covets posted:

Yeah. I think it's just Windows 10 being mischievous; my old laptop uses 7 and never had a problem like this. I sent support a message. If we figure it out, I'll post the solution here in case anyone has the same problem and goes looking further down the line. :)
Stupid question, did you try restarting Windows to clear any locks on the files and then try to delete?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

A Spider Covets posted:

It also sounds like Win10 is trying to run Steam on different priviledges (or even different user) as yourself. You have given Steam full permissions on its installation folder and its subfolders? (Or other way around, have not denied anything?)