Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
In the Shadow War rulebook, under the space marine showcase, what kit did those Blood Raven scout heads come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Sniper scouts with the masks made from greenstuff.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
They really shouldn't have customized model kits when trying to sell model kits.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So, from reading through the books, there's really nothing stopping you from running a rainbow coalition of space marine chapters in a single detachment is there? Other than not all of you units benefiting from the leaders reroll abilities.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So, from reading through the books, there's really nothing stopping you from running a rainbow coalition of space marine chapters in a single detachment is there? Other than not all of you units benefiting from the leaders reroll abilities.

Nothing at all, no. And until the real codices start coming out there's not particular downside. i'm planning to run a mixed blood angels successor/guard/skitarii army for my first game of 8th

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Who is up for starting the 8th Edition thread? I'm busy enough nowadays I just don't have the time to update things. Once one is made I'll close this one off.

If we want to unironically keep Moola's that's cool too :cool:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If you really wanted to you could probably manage a unit from every chapter that has rules, although there's no particular reason to.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PierreTheMime posted:

Who is up for starting the 8th Edition thread? I'm busy enough nowadays I just don't have the time to update things. Once one is made I'll close this one off.

SRM's putting one up when it actually launches.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The general consensus is that the new Space Marine Battletome will be the first one out, right? I ended up working out a deal to double up the bigly marine side of Dark Imperium with a local ham for my Death Guard half, and i'm thinking of just not picking up Index 1.

The box set comes with the power levels in the small Primaris rule book, so I could probably just get away with using that, right?

Now I just gotta figure out what chapter to paint them all up as.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

PierreTheMime posted:

Absolutely not.

I'd rather have SRM just screen cap a picture from his DoA series as the OP, than give Moola free reign to poo poo all over it.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

SRM posted:

Aight I'll draft one up to launch when 8th ed launches.

Don't forget the Badcast link in the OP!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

The general consensus is that the new Space Marine Battletome will be the first one out, right? I ended up working out a deal to double up the bigly marine side of Dark Imperium with a local ham for my Death Guard half, and i'm thinking of just not picking up Index 1.

The box set comes with the power levels in the small Primaris rule book, so I could probably just get away with using that, right?

Crimson Fists marines best marines. Plus with 90% of the Chapter exploded on Rynn's World there's a good fluff reason for them to want as many Primaris as possible.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zuul the Cat posted:

It'll probably be a race between Space Marines and Death Guard, they both have kits coming out really soon.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

SRM posted:

I got you this

Is this from the real life story of how your real life nurlge baby almost killed half of our town?

Also, SRM, Episode 10's Guy Haley's/Fan fiction edit had me rolling last night.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

The Sex Cannon posted:

Don't forget the Badcast link in the OP!

I imagine in every section of "40k stuff" there is going to be a "by yours truly" since i am pretty sure SRM is involved in every form of Space Barbing. I hope he posts pictures of his armies in the army break down.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I imagine in every section of "40k stuff" there is going to be a "by yours truly" since i am pretty sure SRM is involved in every form of Space Barbing. I hope he posts pictures of his armies in the army break down.

Actually this is a neat idea--we should have posters in this thread submit photos of their armies to use as the photos for army breakdowns, if srm is OK with that

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

Actually this is a neat idea--we should have posters in this thread submit photos of their armies to use as the photos for army breakdowns, if srm is OK with that

Dibs on Orks!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Biglys are first, then Deathguard with Mortarion and Cult Terminators.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

I think if we did this you would have to have more than one person on each army, of different painting skill levels. Like SRM is a crazy good painter and could actually be intimidating for new players/painters. It would be cool to have a "scout/marine/veteran" level for every army so people have a realistic picture of what they are getting into. I would be happy to share photos of my Dark Angels, Nid, and Harliquines if SRM wants to do this.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Gonna need some sample pics before you claim this honor.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I could potentially post some of my Blood Angels. A lot (most) of what I have is half finished but there are a few models that look decent.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I think if we did this you would have to have more than one person on each army, of different painting skill levels. Like SRM is a crazy good painter and could actually be intimidating for new players/painters. It would be cool to have a "scout/marine/veteran" level for every army so people have a realistic picture of what they are getting into. I would be happy to share photos of my Dark Angels, Nid, and Harliquines if SRM wants to do this.

lol what? Right now the OP uses 'eavy metal models

I'm p sure it'll be a more realistic step down to use thread photos

Also the photos in the OP are 700x250, so if you make a submission, go ahead and crop it accordingly and add text, so srm doesn't have to do the work

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
If you want pics of what a random dipshit could realistically expect their army to look like, I can post my garbage-dick Dark Angels for the OP and we can spend all of 8th edition dunking on them.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I can post up all the blue-yellow Orks I did, plus Flash Gitz for Orks--no reason to have just one necessarily.

I only have elite units and vehicles for Necrons, though--got lazy and bought pre-painted used Warriors.

I'd also be more than happy to post more Genestealer Cults :getin:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

If you want pics of what a random dipshit could realistically expect their army to look like, I can post my garbage-dick Dark Angels for the OP and we can spend all of 8th edition dunking on them.

do it, fuckass

I'm gonna do some Chaos mans

related note, post your mans this weekend (or now, or early next week) and I will make them into banners for srm to use in the OP (though ideally you will already have done that part for me). I will use the best photos/banners.

Let's up the banner size -- Banner size: 800x300

e: I will also consider subfaction banners that are 728x90 sized, if you want to do your chaos legion or Bad Moonz or whatever

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 8, 2017

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ANAmal.net posted:

I guess I could do the same with my IG.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think it's going to kind of weird when goons don't submit anything for some armies.

It's a neat idea, but I think we're better off with official models for consistency's sake. Maybe have a separate section for posters' armies/models instead?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Indolent Bastard posted:

Gonna need some sample pics before you claim this honor.

Phoneposting but hopefully this will work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij0d7vkqu9uacq2/IMG_1251.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqtz9qggq4cxa4p/P1010818%20%281%29.JPG

Nope. Links only. Imgur app sucks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
those are some good orks

g'dorks

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I got eldar and dark eldar on lock

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

What armies are we missing? I think we pretty much have everything

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Why is everyone still here the 8th thread is already open

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Those pass muster.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hixson posted:

What armies are we missing? I think we pretty much have everything

Probably Sisters of Battle and Grey Knights. I can ask BuffaloChicken to submit some Tyranids if no one else does. I don't think it'll be an issue. Also we'll need someone to do 40k Death Guard.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren:8TH EDITION BATTLE REPORT AS gently caress:siren:

BuffaloChicken and I hung out at a friend's place last night to play BC's first game of 40k. We did 74 Power, BuffaloChicken's Catachan vs. my Black Legion and our friends' AdMech (34 for each of us). The mission we played was The Relic.

Table setup. I gave a lot of terrain to our buddy, in order to help him have a full table's worth, and to make room in my close for Shadow War stuff. BC had the first turn.

GAME HIGHLIGHTS

BC's Leman Russ sets up behind some pipes early on with his sentinels (the one dinosaur is also a sentinel), then spends the entire game missing everything it shoots at. It eventually killed like 3 Regular-rear end Chaos Space Marines.

My ally infiltrates some Sicaran Infiltrators, who then mostly shoot guardsmen to death with their pistols.

Buffalo Chicken runs his Ogryns into a squad of 20 Electoo priests, who proceed to give them a series of lethal handjobs so brutal it made them wish they'd stayed on whatever Of-Mice-and-Men-rear end planet they came from

BC's Taurox parks in the middle of the table as he tries to cap the objective, before the Helbrute crashes the scene and everything in the middle of the table died

poo poo gets real in the game's waning moments, as BuffaloChicken is left looking at a lone, injured Leman Russ, a few scattered squads of guardsmen pissing their pants and ready to turn tail and flee, and a pair of Sentinels about to have a Death Relationship with an Eversor Assassin's fist. We agree to call it a game at the end of Turn 4.

THOUGHTS
- Strategy-wise, I think BC probably made for the relic too early and paid the price for it as we were able to pick him off.

- 4x Autocannon havocs are so loving good

- I really liked using Power Ratings. I put together the list for this game in less than five minutes, and showed up to the game with 3 printed pages as all the rules I need for my army. Overall, we checked the rules/rulebook much less often, and the game felt like it moved at a more brisk pace

- Electoo Priests seem really nasty, what with the sheer number of wounds they can cause

- I may have underestimated Smite. I'm now coming around to the idea that having a bunch of Aspiring Sorcerers just tossing out 5-6 smites per turn could be pretty good

- Buffalo Chicken is a madman who will overcharge his plasma guns 100% of the time even when there is no strategic benefit

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, keep sending/posting pics we can use for this, Chirurgeon's helping me out on some of this stuff.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I'll put some pics of my stuff in there but we've got some great hobbyists here so I'm not gonna hog the whole thing.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Naw, post anyway. There's painters of all levels here and I think it's healthy to show a diverse range of skill so long as they're well executed.

TheChirurgeon posted:

- Buffalo Chicken is a madman who will overcharge his plasma guns 100% of the time even when there is no strategic benefit
:hellyeah:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Do we have AdMech locked already? Tossing my hat in the ring for AdMech.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

Do we have AdMech locked already? Tossing my hat in the ring for AdMech.

Do it! Aren't yours the sweet-rear end looking dudes with the Mars bases and the bright blue lights?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Do it! Aren't yours the sweet-rear end looking dudes with the Mars bases and the bright blue lights?

They are indeed! I'll take my lightbox home tonight and do a sexy photo shoot with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I just realized that there is now nothing stopping me from using my Vulture Gunship with twin Punisher cannons in my Space wolves army.(other than it not benefitting from eventual SW buffs, which is fine) Looks like I am finally going to finish this thing.

• Locked thread