Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

B.C. legislature to be recalled on June 22, confidence vote expected

I'm going to be hiking somewhat far from civilization during this week so unfortunately I'll miss the drama and be out of the loop for days. I kinda want to buy a little radio to see if I can pick up any news otherwise I bet it'll drive me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Furnaceface posted:

Deep down you already know the answer to this. :smith:

At least we have PT6A here as a reminder it isnt a total lost cause though. :unsmith:

Not really, I'd say he represents the worse of all Canada. He voted Liberal last time and he's gonna vote Liberal again. That kind of worthless self-satisfied ignorance is a way bigger problem than a few dozen simple minded conservative dipshits getting together with poorly designed misspelled signs for everyone else to laugh at.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Who knew pt7a would be Canada's white trash prince

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Furnaceface posted:

Deep down you already know the answer to this. :smith:

At least we have PT6A here as a reminder it isnt a total lost cause though. :unsmith:

Talk about grasping at straws.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

namaste faggots posted:

Who knew pt7a would be Canada's white trash prince

In that future you get to be Mansbridge.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The Butcher posted:

Gonna punch these band names into my music machine tomorrow. :getin:

Reagan Youth (not Canadian) and DOA are highly recommended. The Dayglo Abortions are not nearly as good (I would argue BAD) but always had amusing cover art.

DOA were/are (recently reformed!) the best politically minded punk band from Canada (*):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twSREBowTwQ

(*) yeah I know all about Propagandhi who are really great but I'm old and DOA are still way better

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

http://business.financialpost.com/executive/how-canadas-horrible-anti-spam-law-is-about-to-get-a-lot-worse-for-companies

so much loving :qq: in this article

of course this dumb gently caress got an llb at a glorified high school

Hey remember this story? Guess who Navdeep Bains just told to gently caress off?

(Hint: It wasn't that guy).

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2017/06/government-caves-lobbying-pressure-bains-blocks-consumer-redress-spam-spyware-losses/

quote:

Yesterday, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Minister Navdeep Bains indefinitely suspended the private right of action before it could take effect. In doing so, Bains blocked important consumer redress for harmful spam and spyware that would have supplemented enforcement efforts overwhelmed by spam complaints. Bains indicated that the statutorily-mandated review of the law, which is required after three years, will be used to assess the law and the private right of action (the Canadian Federation of Independent Business holds out hope that it will be struck down permanently).

The decision to block the private right of action represents an enormous victory for business lobby groups, notably the Canadian Chamber of Commerce and the Canadian Marketing Association, who have been relentless in lobbying against the legislation. Indeed, the Canadian Marketing Association uses its release to note that it spearheaded efforts to fight against the provision leading to “numerous meetings with officials and the Minister’s office.”

The Direct Marketing Association of Canada comes closest to admitting the reality, when it states that the private right of action delay means very little to organizations emailing Canadians. It notes that major brands would have been initial lawsuit targets but that “everyone else would have felt little impact from the Private Right of Action other than the increased awareness it may have brought to CASL and our Government’s efforts to reduce the spam in our inboxes.” While lawsuits against major brands was not guaranteed, the average Canadian business had little reason to expect a rash of lawsuits and the new right could have brought about greater awareness and compliance.

By caving to lobbying pressure and soundbites do not stand up to even mild scrutiny, Bains has eliminated the ability for consumers to help combat online harms through lawsuits seeking compensation for ransomware payments or other consumer losses. Far from striking a balance, the move will encourage further lobbying and claims of uncertainty as groups hope to parlay the delay into an all-out effort to eviscerate or eliminate the anti-spam law altogether.

"Numerous meetings with officials" is now my go-to euphemism for fellatio.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Liberal government waived a security review on the sale of a Canadian communications company to China

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/liberals-waive-security-review-for-chinese-takeover-of-high-tech-firm/article35246673/

quote:

The Trudeau government is allowing Chinese investors to buy a Vancouver high-tech firm without a formal national security review even though Canada and many of its allies use the company's patented satellite communications technology for security, public safety and defence.

Hytera Communications of Shenzhen, China, is acquiring Vancouver-based Norsat International Inc., a company with military customers including the Pentagon that is also delivering a satellite communication system this year for the Canadian Coast Guard.

In February, the Liberals approved the sale of a large B.C. chain of retirement homes to a Beijing-based insurance titan with a murky ownership structure, giving China a foothold in Canada's health-care sector. In March, they approved a takeover of ITF Technologies Inc. in Montreal – which the Harper government had blocked on the grounds it would undermine a technological edge Western militaries have over China.

:thunk:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wonder what the US will think of that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DariusLikewise posted:

Liberal government waived a security review on the sale of a Canadian communications company to China

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/liberals-waive-security-review-for-chinese-takeover-of-high-tech-firm/article35246673/

:thunk:

Wow, it's great to have a business friendly government in power again. We're letting the world know Canada is for sale open for business!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why are you idiots getting your panties in a twist over Chinese investment in Canadian dumpster fires businesses?

I mean lol if you view China as a malevolent international power we should absolutely be selling off our bullshit for cash money

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Can you imagine if we finally got rid of bombardier to some dumb rear end fuerdai

poo poo son

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

namaste faggots posted:

Can you imagine if we finally got rid of bombardier to some dumb rear end fuerdai

poo poo son

God willing.

I wonder if they'd be able to actually build trains after replacing all the manufacturing employees with TFWs?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

poo poo son

I picture a guy in a plane hitting a giant bomb with a hammer to make it fit through the doors.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

China owns lol

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

China owns Canada lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
so what

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

China still cool

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

5000 years of history

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Info Commissioner: 4 of 20 (:420:) institutions were given an F grade: RCMP, Canada Revenue Agency, Correctional Services & Global Affairs Canada

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Lol all Chinese language radio stations in Australia broadcast party line propaganda.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/why-is-china-so-determined-to-persuade-manage-discipline-and-control-20170606-gwliy3.html

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That's better than little mosque on the prairies or jian ghomeshi or Amanda Lang shilling for banks

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

A country being with an economy of debt and real estate being bought up by a country using debt with empty warehouses as collateral

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You dumb gently caress it's not our problem after they've given over the money

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Possible wage freeze for public-sector employees for 2 years in Manitoba. Bill 28

GG Pallister. Get hosed you twisted old fucker.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What are you going to do? Move to another part of Canada that can make use of your elite public sector skills

Looooooool

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

What are you going to do? Move to another part of Canada that can make use of your elite public sector skills

Looooooool

There's a reason Ottawa has the highest median income in the country.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It should drop now that Bryan Murray isn't allowed to do the thing where he gives people long contracts anymore

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

Possible wage freeze for public-sector employees for 2 years in Manitoba. Bill 28

Public sector wage freeze federally is at like 3+ years now. Delayed even more for some groups like rear end because Phoenix can't handle the volume.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Ezra Levant appeal is quashed, forced to pay the $80k fine by crowdfunding the money from dimwits, angrily tweets about the miscarriage of justice

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

Ezra Levant appeal is quashed, forced to pay the $80k fine by crowdfunding the money from dimwits, angrily tweets about the miscarriage of justice

Link for those in need. :laugh:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

That sniveling toad gets taken to the cleaners and it's no longer illegal to defend my crime comics with a sorcerous duel? This is a good day

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

That's the sound of the chickens coming home to poo poo all over him.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Pallister is itching for a legal battle with public sector unions apparently

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

I love that I learned about it from The Beaverton in the most childish manner

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Newfie posted:

I love that I learned about it from The Beaverton in the most childish manner

I want to read all of my news like this from now on, forever.

Jordan7hm posted:

Public sector wage freeze federally is at like 3+ years now. Delayed even more for some groups like rear end because Phoenix can't handle the volume.

CSes are getting 6% over four years, effective 2014, which means our next contract won't be settled until 2028 or something I dunno

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/the-canada-most-people-dont-see/

quote:

Cardinal and Kakegamic live in a different Canada.

Most of us don’t see that Canada. It has an unemployment rate worse than Sudan and the median income is on par with Latvia. There, the infant mortality rate is worse than Russia. The sewage systems often don’t work, and there is no fire department. Medical facilities are few and far away. Drug and alcohol addictions are rampant. TB is at epidemic levels, and the rate of HIV infection is higher than Nigeria’s. This is a Canada of broken windows in tarpaper shacks.

No, our Canada is a different place. In high school when we sneak some beer the police don’t beat us. Our wives don’t live in fear of sexual assault, and the justice system treats us with compassion. Life is good. By every measure, our Canada is one of the safest, healthiest and most prosperous places in the world. Sitting on our backyard decks, barbecuing steaks for dinner, we’re a very long ways from the other Canada.

And you can be forgiven, I suppose, for not really caring about that other Canada. How can you? You don’t see it. You don’t know anyone who lives there. You rarely hear about it on the news, and when you do, the Prime Minister or some other politician is always there to reassure us they really care and they’re making things better. There will even be a few Hoop Dancers on the Canada Day stage, because we’re very inclusive and sensitive in this Canada. So sensitive, in fact, that when someone satirically proposes a cultural appropriation prize, we are collectively incensed. Things like that aren’t tolerated in our Canada.

Meanwhile, in the other Canada, Angela Cardinal was shot and killed seven months after her ordeal in the courthouse. In the other Canada there are 89 communities without safe drinking water. A child is more likely to be sexually assaulted than to graduate high school. The murder rate is worse than Somalia’s and the incarceration rate is the highest in the world. Imagine if that was your Canada. Imagine your rage if your children lived there.

ONE FIVE OH

ONE FIVE OH

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Is Manitoba remotely near a situation where this cost cutting bullshit makes any degree of sense?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

James Baud posted:

There was a Fraser Institute thing

Lol

Pallister doing his best to ensure that he's a one term Premier; please get your poo poo together NDP.