Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

Generally with this game I tend to believe they've done less rather than more considering this is early access. That would mean I think every loot spot just rolls its own dice, but obviously there are high quality vs low quality spawns. I have no reason to believe there is a global limit on items, why would there be? Over half the map goes unlooted every game so what would they accomplish? This isn't like Diablo, there's no economy to balance. I've also been wrong about things in the past like I didn't believe there was damage drop off at range or rank based matchmaking but clearly there are.

I leaning a lot more to the each spot rolling through their own drop table (of course different spots might have different tables). I do however think Bardeh might be on to something with the drop tables being modified (+30% drop value or something) in map segments and that these modifiers are different from game to game. Sometimes it seems that you can tell a whole area is going to be poo poo, average or awesome loot based on the first few places you loot and it tends to hold true.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I swear they upped the drop rate for the Vector a good deal recently as I've been finding them everywhere which is fine by me.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Photex posted:

loot tables are screwy, we were in a squad and found like 5 M16's all stacked on top of each other.

I keep finding P92s with a box of 9mm and a box of 556. Its helpful but probably isn't intentional.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Dem frying pan stats...

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have had my life saved A ridiculous amount of times by the frying pan

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

frank.club posted:

I feels almost like a defensive item in a MOBA or something.

Frying pan
Gives 10% chance to receive no damage next time you are hit

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
My headphones are making GBS threads out and I'm looking at some new ones - I've never had surround sound headphones (7.1 or whatever). Is it worth it in games like this?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
This dude would probably be salty if it weren't so early in the match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peIlSK_rmuc

And I loving love vehicles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupBO_u2rPQ

I hope they keep the ragdolls popping out of them upon death.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

The frying pan is a mandatory piece of kit. Another goon was reviving me last night during a skirmish between two other teams and had at least three bullets ping off his frying pan while getting me up.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I don't know specifically why it is that I do pretty well at Battlefield, but absolutely awful Counter-Strike. Is it damage amount? Limited map sizes? Something about the gun play? Something else? I don't know what it is, but I get destroyed a Counter Strike but do pretty well at Battlefield.

I honestly don't know what it is. I can do just fine in most Battlefield games but the moment I peek around any corner in Counter-Strike I immediately get my head blown off and don't take anyone down with me.

Based on that information, how do you expect I would do with this game?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

frank.club posted:

I managed to save one of my squad's lives by telling them to switch to the pan while running, it tanked a headshot and they got into the top 5 as a result.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Shoot me in the butt. I dare you.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would almost accept crafting in this game if I could make a suit of armor out of frying pants, tape, and chain.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Diogines posted:

I don't know specifically why it is that I do pretty well at Battlefield, but absolutely awful Counter-Strike. Is it damage amount? Limited map sizes? Something about the gun play? Something else? I don't know what it is, but I get destroyed a Counter Strike but do pretty well at Battlefield.

I honestly don't know what it is. I can do just fine in most Battlefield games but the moment I peek around any corner in Counter-Strike I immediately get my head blown off and don't take anyone down with me.

Based on that information, how do you expect I would do with this game?

CS is pretty much all twitch, whereas Battlefield rewards flanking and some modicum of tactical thinking even if just by virtue of the maps being non-linear (for the most part.)

Battlegrounds definitely leans more heavily on the Battlefield set of skills.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Less Fat Luke posted:

My headphones are making GBS threads out and I'm looking at some new ones - I've never had surround sound headphones (7.1 or whatever). Is it worth it in games like this?

I can't find the source, but I know this has been specifically addressed: The game is stereo only, and any virtual 7.1 headphone nonsense is useless for PUBG. Spend your money on a good 2-channel setup.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

So the angled foregrip is better than the vfg? Am I reading that right?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

ControlledBurn posted:

I can't find the source, but I know this has been specifically addressed: The game is stereo only, and any virtual 7.1 headphone nonsense is useless for PUBG. Spend your money on a good 2-channel setup.

This is true. However, I still can't recommend HyperX Cloud 2s enough as an all-around great pair of headphones.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Inspector_666 posted:

CS is pretty much all twitch, whereas Battlefield rewards flanking and some modicum of tactical thinking even if just by virtue of the maps being non-linear (for the most part.)

Battlegrounds definitely leans more heavily on the Battlefield set of skills.

Yeah I much prefer the more open world, sneaky tactical play of Battlegrounds and Battlefield to Counter-Strike and CoD.

Also the guns in Counter-Strike just feel weird and bad to me.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drewjitsu posted:

So the angled foregrip is better than the vfg? Am I reading that right?

Shouldn't be. :spergin:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I much prefer the more open world, sneaky tactical play of Battlegrounds and Battlefield to Counter-Strike and CoD.

Also the guns in Counter-Strike just feel weird and bad to me.

Yeah, I like that I can aim center of mass in PUBG and not be punished for it like in every other game where it's headshot or bust.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

ControlledBurn posted:

Thanks!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
one more duo chicken dinner tonight :toot:

sitting at 5 wins out of 28 plays post-reset, been playing way too much lately

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Hey guys, I did another video.

https://youtu.be/EGIv8K_E2MM

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Seriously, I've played 6 games today, I've had a KAR in every single one. That never happens.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I found the House of Shotguns last night. 1st floor had a pile of 2 S686s and a Pump. Upstairs had a pump and about 6 shotguns chokes.

Right now I'm in this weird place where I can get a kill early on, then gently caress up the next time I see someone. Thrown some games that probably would have really gone my way too if I wasn't an idiot. VSS and AKM with 2x/silencer? Dead from a guy running at me with a UMP.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Always fear the UMP man, for he knows his life will only be preserved by ending yours. Rifle man or sniper man can always flee, but forward, only forward for UMP man.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Is there any way to force a pick-up for items that spawn in weird places? I was in the big green building of the power plant and had a 4x or 8x scope spawn underneath one of the control consoles on the second floor but try as I might it wouldn't show it as being on the ground.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

PantsBandit posted:

Is there any way to force a pick-up for items that spawn in weird places? I was in the big green building of the power plant and had a 4x or 8x scope spawn underneath one of the control consoles on the second floor but try as I might it wouldn't show it as being on the ground.

Did you try picking it up through your inventory? It shows items in close proximity to you and lets you pick them up without mashing "press F to pick up x".

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

One thing I've noticed through watching the ~pro streamers~ is that inventory-based looting is way, way, way faster than using F to pickup. Use tab and pop the inventory on and off as you're running through buildings and you can quickly get a list of items in an area, then drag 'em across instead of carefully pointing your camera at the one box of ammo that you need and not the seventeen pairs of boots.

Seriously, watching kongphan or grimmmz loot is insane. They are so, so, fast.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

PantsBandit posted:

Had a first aid kit on one of the consoles there once that I couldn't pick up. That poo poo is infuriating.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

aunt jemima posted:

One thing I've noticed through watching the ~pro streamers~ is that inventory-based looting is way, way, way faster than using F to pickup. Use tab and pop the inventory on and off as you're running through buildings and you can quickly get a list of items in an area, then drag 'em across instead of carefully pointing your camera at the one box of ammo that you need and not the seventeen pairs of boots.

Seriously, watching kongphan or grimmmz loot is insane. They are so, so, fast.

Yeah, and they've already tried to take steps to fix that by adding a pick up animation even if you grab things the way you describe. It failed miserably and they rolled the change back, but I wouldn't expect it to stay that way forever.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Vatek posted:

Did you try picking it up through your inventory? It shows items in close proximity to you and lets you pick them up without mashing "press F to pick up x".

Yeah, I did. It wouldn't even show it as being in proximity despite me standing right next to it. I think the game was confused because it was in an area inaccessible to players but still technically "open" enough for an item spawn.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

If they force the pickup animation again I think they should do it by allowing the players to freely move around in the mean time as long as they remain in pickup range while going through it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The consoles in the powerplant are a weird case- the area beneath them is part of the collision bounding for that mesh because simpler collision means more frames, and they figured nobody would ever go beneath those consoles.

This means that loot ignores normal collision bounds and probably spawns in walls all the time, it's just that you can actually see it for once. It also means that this game actually checks collision to see if you can pick things up instead of just letting you grab anything in a radius, a surprisingly non-lazy way to do it given how most games work.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Looting is boring and slowing it down by having a lovely slow animation is bad.

People being shot at arent going to leisurely pick up bullets, theyre going to grab poo poo as fast as possible and bounce.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Even with an animation or delay, looting will always be faster from the inventory because clicking items off a menu is faster than using the Jurassic Park GUI to pick up the red dot sight and not the revolver and punk goggles.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

PantsBandit posted:

I've seen some odd things lately like 90 .45 ammo and no vector or a painkiller half in a wall in the tunnels or a lot of shotgun ammo and just the end of a stock sticking out of a box, all impossible to pick up

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

aniviron posted:

This means that loot ignores normal collision bounds and probably spawns in walls all the time

It does. I've pulled ammo out of walls plenty of times, and seen a lot of guns sticking through a closet wall into a bathroom in the houses.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I had a Vector spawn in the weapon range last night that was unlootable. It was clearly sitting on top of a box but even with inventory open it never showed up as lootable. Was not inside a wall or anything either, I assume that the box it spawned on was not meant to have a gun there as it was near the roof of the range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The #1 spawn that you can't get is the one on some building roofs under the giant fuel tank that's up there. Missed out on tons of guns that way.

Other annoying things: the small guard towers with the blue guardrails have spawn points, but they're off on the side of the tower and I believe you need to jump on the guard rail to get up there.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 8, 2017

• Locked thread