Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Belgian Waffle posted:

I think there's a lot of issues behind this. His size will always be a detriment because the average viewer is going to look at him and think that they could take him in a fight... so, subconsciously, people just won't take him seriously because they don't register him as threatening.

This has always made me laugh, the amount of people who look at professional fighters especially champions and think they could take them in a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

he doesnt have a lot of charisma. you could say its because hes short and bald too but road cyclist marco pantani was similarly short and bald and he has roadside shrines, statues, works of art etc dedicated to him dotted all over continental europe. personally mr johnson doesnt leave much of an impression on me though i do like to watch his fights

Cycling is a huge sport to Italians (and Euros) in a way that MMA will never be to Americans though. There aren't really weight divisions in cycling either and Pantani was really fuckin' good.
Oh, and Pantani is dead, which sort of helps in building a legend. Also he was 5'8.

The answer is that DJ is 5ft 3, doesn't talk poo poo and the average punter wants to see fat fuckers throw 4 punches and then gas instead of a masterclass in martial arts.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 8, 2017

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It's also not really true that DJ hasn't been promoted. He headlined 3 Fox cards in a row and his drawing ability on PPV after that is middling to none.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He rarely wears suits and that is a dumb poo poo complaint in the first place. He also talks mad poo poo and is catty with his opponents but since the UFC doesn't promote him people like you come in and say he's too quiet and doesn't attract enough attention.

The rest of your post is also stupid but I don't have time to get into it.

Come on man, don't bite my head off because I didn't come in here sucking the dick of the dude in your avatar.

So, lemme be clear about my position on this without trying to be funny because I guess I'm pretty bad at it. I believe the UFC (and Dana in particular) to be at fault here and DJ going public with everything is the right move. I also believe that the UFC is right to think that DJ is hard to market for a variety of reasons. This doesn't shift the onus on promoting DJ's fights over to DJ... but he could be more proactive about it if he wanted.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He rarely wears suits and that is a dumb poo poo complaint in the first place. He also talks mad poo poo and is catty with his opponents but since the UFC doesn't promote him people like you come in and say he's too quiet and doesn't attract enough attention.

The rest of your post is also stupid but I don't have time to get into it.

seriously though. i really don't get this talk of DJ being super polite and not talking poo poo. i can't think of a better poo poo-talker than DJ, other than Cruz.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Belgian Waffle posted:

I also believe that the UFC is right to think that DJ is hard to market for a variety of reasons. This doesn't shift the onus on promoting DJ's fights over to DJ... but he could be more proactive about it if he wanted.

They haven't tried to promote him nor his division so that is circular reasoning. DJ is currently promoting himself by publicly airing his grievances.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't remember a single time he's talked poo poo.
Even Garbrandt's overtly homosexual backfiring smack talk is more notable.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Stanley Tweedle posted:

seriously though. i really don't get this talk of DJ being super polite and not talking poo poo. i can't think of a better poo poo-talker than DJ, other than Cruz.

lmfao

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
one reason people might not be watching his fights is that they can come and see the finishes for free as a gif in some guy's lovely avatar

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Lid posted:

It takes two to tango and the vast bast majority of Mouse opponents go from prelims to main events against him. There's no attempt to make flyweight main event number one contender fights even though they are rich in talent because Mouse is prime Anderson making everyone below him look a jobber. He isn't given analyst spots, he isn't pushed as a person, he was a company man through and through until now and he's sick of being bottom of the totem pole because he is so loving good.

If this leads to a sort of anti-authority charactisation for him it might make him a name by accident as an outspoken revolutionary for fighters rights.
This is true, some are really underestimating the value of the standard concentrated promotion cycle. Consider how much of the UFC's fanbase are affliction-clad "JUST BLEED" dullards, and how pro-wrestling style insistence that things are good because we at corporate say their name a lot into your ear forms the public consciousness that this guy is in fact very good and could kill anyone at their panera bread job

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I know Mouse is great, one of the best of all time, but I also don't care much for his fights

Partially because there seems to be no real challenger out there for him and in part because, and this might be wrong because it was so long ago, but I remember his fights being fairly dull back when he first got into the ufc

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://streamable.com/zzh9o

lol

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
small fighters are popular

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Black beast stronk

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

As we can see from that, it is now clear that the best defense to any and all grappling and wrestling is to "kind of just stand up"

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Fartbox posted:

As we can see from that, it is now clear that the best defense to any and all grappling and wrestling is to "kind of just stand up"

Rampage's coaching on TUF was ahead of its time.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Fartbox posted:

Is for him isn't it. Next time there's a disaster and something collapses get him under it so he can stand up and free everyone trapped inside.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
It seems overly simple but a lot of guys made "do not play guard for any reason and immediately scramble to stand up before you are even down" part of their game. Chuck and aldo spring to mind. But also, I can think of chuck being stuck in guard and getting smashed against rampage and aldo being unable to scramble against max without getting shitrocked

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

david carmichael posted:

aldo being unable to scramble against max without getting shitrocked

His defense was actually really good for someone who just got knocked down with punches and kept getting punched. Most dudes would have been finished right but Aldo kept moving. Every other time has been when he's tired and already winning.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah aldo did pretty well considering he was tired and badly hurt

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

His defense was actually really good for someone who just got knocked down with punches and kept getting punched. Most dudes would have been finished right but Aldo kept moving. Every other time has been when he's tired and already winning.

Yeah its entirely speculative but at the start he was trying to create space and scramble rather than try to eliminate space and reclaim half guard/guard. Could he have avoided those big long shots if he wasn't trying to scramble? Who knows

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

david carmichael posted:

It seems overly simple but a lot of guys made "do not play guard for any reason and immediately scramble to stand up before you are even down" part of their game. Chuck and aldo spring to mind. But also, I can think of chuck being stuck in guard and getting smashed against rampage and aldo being unable to scramble against max without getting shitrocked

I remember Chuck talking about it in an interview. Rogan podcast? Anyway he says if you don't want to be on the ground it's always going to be easier to try to keep the momentum of the takedown to help you scramble to your feet than if you have to start from scratch. I don't train or anything but that always made sense to me.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

I've never seen anyone come back to the stool and say "I'm hosed I can't take him" like Potts did, has anything like that ever happened?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Also tying Lewis and DJ together: that is why people think they could beat up lighter weight champions. There are all kinds of regular burly gentleman walking around that could have a good shot of beating up the best p4p fighter alive. Size and strength matter a lot, but the disparity has to be quite large to really overcome a skill gap. Unfortunately, dj is like 150 max and 1/2 of the US population weigh 100 pounds more than him

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Whats wrong with dj in a suit?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gay Horney posted:

I've never seen anyone come back to the stool and say "I'm hosed I can't take him" like Potts did, has anything like that ever happened?

Had never watched this before and I can't think of any other time a fighter says that and hasn't quit on the stool.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Horney posted:

where does he say that?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVGKU0EALg5/

I want Diaz bros' weed and Yancy's moonshine.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Skip My Posts posted:

where does he say that?

After round 1 I'm pretty sure. I think it got finished in round 2.

edit--it is not in that linked video just to be clear

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 9, 2017

Walfry
Sep 6, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

Nate Marquardt said something like that after round 2 of his fight with Kelvin Gastelum. That's when his corner stopped the fight. If I recall, it was something like "I have nothing for him."

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This "tiny punchmen don't sell fights" thing is kind of weird to me. Isn't Mayweather the biggest seller of all time? It's my understanding the guy is 15 pounds heavier than DJ. 15 Pounds is nothing.

Conor is the biggest draw the UFC has ever had, surely 20 pounds doesn't change the public perception that much.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

My favorite thing is the 'oh no' when he knees roy in the gut.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
As someone who didn't watch that fight I'm a big fan of how Roy's fat gut immediately gets a giant red mark on it after he knees it.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVGKU0EALg5/

I want Diaz bros' weed and Yancy's moonshine.

these guys seem chill

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

attackmole posted:

As someone who didn't watch that fight I'm a big fan of how Roy's fat gut immediately gets a giant red mark on it after he knees it.

these guys seem chill

Nah it's already there, you can see it just beforehand.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

This "tiny punchmen don't sell fights" thing is kind of weird to me. Isn't Mayweather the biggest seller of all time? It's my understanding the guy is 15 pounds heavier than DJ. 15 Pounds is nothing.

I'd have to look but I think Tyson probably beats Mayweather in terms of best seller. Mayweather's fights really never did well until he started fighting Mexican fighters on Mexican holidays. He went from Pretty Boy Floyd to Bad Boy Floyd to Money Mayweather in a decade or so. Boxing is also a much different animal than the UFC.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

JaySB posted:

I'd have to look but I think Tyson probably beats Mayweather in terms of best seller. Mayweather's fights really never did well until he started fighting Mexican fighters on Mexican holidays. He went from Pretty Boy Floyd to Bad Boy Floyd to Money Mayweather in a decade or so. Boxing is also a much different animal than the UFC.

He doesn't but the two of them are head and shoulders over everyone else, except Pacquiao because Mayweather-Pac was so huge comparatively it's twice as big anything Tyson was in. But yeah the 2010s are a dramatically different PPV market than the mid 90s, there was no PPV when boxing was actually popular in the US, and MMA has a totally different dynamic.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mayweather is also somewhere approaching average height whereas Mighty Mouse has to stand on his top toes to get on roller coasters.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
DC is cool

“UFC, if you want Demetrious Johnson to fight T.J. Dillashaw, give him the money,” Cormier said Wednesday. “Pay him a million dollars and say ‘that’s your fight.’ I know it’s a lot for a 125-pounder, but the guy’s the No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Pay him the money, and then let him go fight. ... Pay him as the No. 1 fighter in the world for once.”

“I think the responsibility for everything can be shared between Demetrious and the UFC,” Cormier said. “The UFC really doesn’t understand how to market him, because they have to get creative. He’s smaller. He’s not the biggest guy. He’s dominant. Even when Anderson Silva was the guy running through his division, his points weren’t very high, so they have to get creative. I don’t know if they’ve gotten creative. But I do believe DJ has done his part.”

Cormier also believes the UFC needs to work on devising new ways to market African-American stars, while acknowledging that Johnson, who has a big following in the gaming community, often defies categorization.

“Honestly as an African-American, you have to market people differently,” Cormier said. “There is a different demographic and I don’t know if DJ really fits neatly into any certain one. Because just his family and everything, everything combined, you gotta get tricky marketing these small guys, especially an African-American guy. So the UFC doesn’t really know how to do that yet with him.

“But, you have to have ‘it,’ Cormier continued. “Ronda Rousey happened organically. It just has to connect. It hasn’t connected for DJ, UFC has to take responsibility because they don’t know how to market him properly yet.”

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Looten Plunder posted:

Conor is the biggest draw the UFC has ever had, surely 20 pounds doesn't change the public perception that much.

Flyweight crosses a size threshold where the fighters look distinctly weird and child/dwarflike, and it also has the lowest ko and submission rate of the male divisions.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Looten Plunder posted:

Well if the UFC would just promote DJ then he'd sell, its unfair. Mayweather is only so popular because he's been relentlessly promoted by, er, hmmmmm

• Locked thread