Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mr. Comey, why didn't you talk to the president like the toddler he is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

"Mr. Comey, why didn't you do all the things I've been thinking about for weeks right in that heat of the moment?"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

it sounded like Trump was flat out not being investigated
disappointing

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Trump Thread II: Don't ever leave me alone with him ever again

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Flesh Forge posted:

COMEY ON PREZ: URINE TROUBLE

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I like that the Republican defense of Trump has moved completely to:

quote:

There is no way he could have obstructed justice, because even if he did obstruct justice he is too dumb to have done it intentionally. He is a businessman; he doesn't know how the President works!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Spiritus Nox posted:

That's still up to Congress.

It's up to congress if this leads to impeachment, it's not up to congress if this further damages Trump with the public.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
"the nature of the person I was interacting with"

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Hoooly... "Did you tell Sessions about the inappropriate request?" "No I very specifically did not."

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

galenanorth posted:

Marco Rubio just tried to cast shade on Comey for leaks that happened from within the Senate Intelligence Committee, regarding there being or not being an investigation, after the Senate Intelligence Committee was to blame for the leak of his letter to them about Anthony Weiner. This whole thing has cleared up a lot of misgivings that people have had about Comey, that he intentionally did that to undermine the Clinton campaign because he's a Republican, and that he went public with the Clinton investigation because they told him to call it a "matter" and because of Bill Clinton's meeting with the Attorney General on the airport tarmac. I, too, suspected he was using his office to try to sway the election, but this hearing has persuaded me that he has acted with the intentions of a model American citizen.

It should be noted that this impression is precisely what Comey is trying to put forward. He is quite conscious of his own image, and is always keen to protect it. Look at often he puts forward the idea that "My momma raised me well" and other forms of apple pie Americana - of course people are going to be inclined to think he's a model citizen. But that charitable perspective ignores how exceptional his behavior was throughout the entirety of the Clinton investigation, in particular due to how targeted it was and how he completely ignored precedent or DOJ oversight. To my mind, while he isn't a naked partisan he certainly saw Clinton and the Democrats as an opportunity to further his own image and his FBI constituency, and pursued it without regard to its poisonous effect on our democracy. The fact that he ended up ultimately being brought down by the sequence of events he set in motion, and was bit by the snake he was helping, doesn't really change that.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 8, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah although he worded it a little bit oddly, it sounded like he left a tiny bit of wiggle room.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why do they keep asking the same questions? Do they all just have prepared questions and never take into account what was already said?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I like that the Republican narrative is:

"Mr. Comey, if you're so good at THE LAW, why didn't you stop Trump from breaking it?" :smug:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I really like the running theme of "why didn't you tell him he couldn't do that?"

Why did that undercover cop let me sell him meth if it was illegal? He should have stopped me!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ReidRansom posted:

I really like the running theme of "why didn't you tell him he couldn't do that?"

Why did that undercover cop let me sell him meth if it was illegal? He should have stopped me!

If you ask them if they're a cop they have to tell you they're a cop!

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
Senator Heinrich is awesome. He was dunking on the DNI and NSA Director yesterday. Let's hope he has a good follow-up today.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008
I cannot wait to see how Spicey responds to this, but I have a feeling that right now he is currently drinking himself to death. This is a LOT of bad news to try and turn into something resembling not a total embarrassment.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why do they keep asking the same questions? Do they all just have prepared questions and never take into account what was already said?

My understanding is that it's partially prepared and laziness, partially to get the interviewee to potentially trip up/misspeak/contradict themselves/reveal something/etc

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Collins didn't do a particularly great job there of victim-blaming, which is really surprising given how long she has been a Republican.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

theflyingorc posted:

The important thing here is that he could have been put under investigation at any time and he really has no say in it. He knew Flynn was exposed to dirty poo poo and it's conceivable that he didn't want anyone going down that rabbit hole because it might eventually drag him into it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

That last comment about who he gave the memo to seems pretty damning.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Easy D gonna hatefuck a burnt steak tonight, I can tell you that.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

This is a clown car of trainwreck questioning.

Risch: "Director Comey, no one has ever been prosecuted for saying they hope you'll engage in illegal activity, right?" This is the only context in which Republicans use "hope".

Rubio, Colins: "Director Comey, when you were alone with the president, why didn't you act like you were playing that game where you hide something and say 'cold', 'getting warmer', 'hot', except with illegality, so that he would get a good feel for knowing he'd come as close as possible as he could without being investigated?"

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 8, 2017

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I feel like the perfect question for the dems to ask to bitch slap the republicans would be "do you feel like it is your job or duty to inform the president if he is acting inappropriately or illegally?"

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Beastie posted:

That last comment about who he gave the memo to seems pretty damning.

I had to step away and didn't hear that, what was the gist of it?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
"There should be no fuzz on this: the russians interfered with our elections.. It's not a close call.. It's about unfake as it possibly can be. It was very serious"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: NO FUZZ :siren:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hammering it in that Russia super hosed with the election, nice.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

#unfakenews

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is it a big deal that they're calling this a hostile act? Is that a form of magic phrase?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"There should be no fuzz on this: the russians interfered with our elections.. It's not a close call.. It's about unfake as it possibly can be. It was very serious"
His tone when stating this hot drat

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That was a bit of a dunk on the right who want to dismiss the russia thing

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

"Had plenty with Obama"

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
By no fuzz, he's just saying that Trump waxes his junk before shooting a piss tape.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
God drat that Obama snipe was some primo poo poo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

any idea who the columbia law prof is?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tzen posted:

His tone when stating this hot drat

It is a really loving big deal. Like, regardless of what it does to Trump, it is extremely important that the Russia stuff be fully investigated and we find countermeasures to it.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Chard posted:

My understanding is that it's partially prepared and laziness, partially to get the interviewee to potentially trip up/misspeak/contradict themselves/reveal something/etc

There's also a message control angle. The dueling political narratives here are either:

-comey confirmation president was never under investigation

Or

-trump inappropriately asked the FBI director to shut down an investigation and then fired him for not doing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

Tim Whatley posted:

"Had plenty with Obama"

Comey is so good at the "Aw, shucks" throwing of shade.

• Locked thread