Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wiltsghost posted:

This took me down a rabbit hole. These dudes are insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFqJ3p3L0rI

Guy Martin is a loving legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

1500quidporsche posted:

I plugged my headphones into my work laptop one day and it completely fried the hard drive and I got two days off of work free. Still use them to this day.

I have headphones that force any android phone I plug them into to reboot.

Also stop going on about rich people buying poo poo, you're a loving hypocrite when you'd spend 1500 quid on a porsche

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

iospace posted:

GET YOUR GANGTAGS HERE:

Tell me if you want it centered or not as well.

I'll take one, centered please.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

When was the last time you saw a F1 race in person?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wiltsghost posted:

This took me down a rabbit hole. These dudes are insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFqJ3p3L0rI

I'm a motorcyclist.

My rear end in a top hat didn't unpucker for 3 minutes.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm a motorcyclist.

My rear end in a top hat didn't unpucker for 3 minutes.

You'll love the IOM TT. You'd be able to cut the ends off cigars with your ring piece.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've watched it several times on TV. Those guys are mad. My dad wants to go see it live but I'm not sure I want to spend 18 hours on a plane to stand in the rain on some windswept moor surrounded by gnarled bovril drinkers just to watch a bike whizz past every couple of minutes, especially knowing for a fact that some of them won't be coming back.

I'll probably be going to Phillip Island for the MotoGP in the next few years though.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Carth Dookie posted:

The only reason he's rolling out is cus the fat old gently caress owes people money.

LOL if you aren't old enough to remember we only got F1 in australia in the 80s and early 90s on ch. 9 after midnight hosted by Daryl Eastlake and AJ. Same for motogp, Daryl Eastlake and Sheene.
It may have even been before ch. 10 was even in perth. Things only changed to live or a more reasonable hour when ch. 10 took over motorsports. They kept sheene but dumped AJ. I can't remember who was with crompton for F1

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Ferrari: 8 WCCs since 1998, wow, that's really good.

Incredibly Well Run Team McLaren Which Is Definitely Not An Incompetent Fraud Organization: 0 WCCs since 1998, wow, poor.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Looking forward to the rest of today's Tony-post frenzy.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Kill me

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

I entered this thread saying this stuff, mate. Don't try and pull the race card and try to generate some outrage, surely people are getting wise to that poo poo now. I'm talking about Formula One and what I am saying is what Enzo said before he died. It's common knowledge the English rode the post WW2 era with all the aerodynamicists they had from building aircraft for the war. Italy never had that level of sophistication. Engine design stagnated, so crate engines were a thing and Enzo's lead in engine building withered as aero technology became more and more important in F1 car design. He kept trying with crazy V12s and stuff, but eventually the crate Cosworth you could buy was just as good and you didn't have 5 guys who came from building Spitfires to help you design wings.

This was F1 for a long time and up until the hybrid engine era. Turbos came and went pretty quickly, as did other fancy things, but that aero advantage lasted a long time.

The party is now over and it's a turning point in the history of the sport.

Are you really a Ferrari fan if you don't get any of this?

edit: hey I dont hate the USA at all, just don't start telling me about your indycars and how they are real things

edit2: oh poo poo, maybe you don't understand. This is what a really international sport looks like. The American World Series of Baseball held entirely in America is not an international sport. This is what happens when for many decades countries are pitted directly against each other, they grow followings and draw conclusions. I lived in London for quite a while. I've not been to the US yet, but it's certainly on my list. One of my best friends is a researcher at Berkeley. My comments are about F1 and F1 only. Have you ever heard football (real football, what the world calls football, in the US and in my country they call it soccer) fans talk during the World Cup? Surely it would make your ears bend

Sorry to hear you relapsed.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I just ordered Ross Brawn's "Total Competition" book, I'll let you lads and lassies know how it goes.

Cactrot posted:

He beat piece of human garbage Jacky Ickx after dying at Monza.

Jacky literally makes me want to punch him in the face. All the motorsport docus and things I've read make him literally the hugest piece of poo poo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm curious how much that Brawn book has to do with racing

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

I'm curious how much that Brawn book has to do with racing

My understanding is it has more to do with his management style and how he got multiple teams to world championships vs. talking in detail about the technical aspects of various F1 cars.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I want Perez in a faster car.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Perez has actually been impressive these last couple years. I could see him being a #2 at Ferrari.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I don't know if Perez is WDC caliber (though in a faster car who knows), but he's definitely a "Good driver who won't challenge your #1 but will help secure a WCC" at least.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah hes fast enough to push your lead driver and if he dials back his aggressiveness from lack of patience while becoming a bit more consistent he'd be able to push for a WDC.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Tony Montana posted:

I entered this thread saying this stuff, mate. Don't try and pull the race card and try to generate some outrage, surely people are getting wise to that poo poo now. I'm talking about Formula One and what I am saying is what Enzo said before he died. It's common knowledge the English rode the post WW2 era with all the aerodynamicists they had from building aircraft for the war. Italy never had that level of sophistication. Engine design stagnated, so crate engines were a thing and Enzo's lead in engine building withered as aero technology became more and more important in F1 car design. He kept trying with crazy V12s and stuff, but eventually the crate Cosworth you could buy was just as good and you didn't have 5 guys who came from building Spitfires to help you design wings.

This was F1 for a long time and up until the hybrid engine era. Turbos came and went pretty quickly, as did other fancy things, but that aero advantage lasted a long time.

The party is now over and it's a turning point in the history of the sport.

Are you really a Ferrari fan if you don't get any of this?

edit: hey I dont hate the USA at all, just don't start telling me about your indycars and how they are real things

edit2: oh poo poo, maybe you don't understand. This is what a really international sport looks like. The American World Series of Baseball held entirely in America is not an international sport. This is what happens when for many decades countries are pitted directly against each other, they grow followings and draw conclusions. I lived in London for quite a while. I've not been to the US yet, but it's certainly on my list. One of my best friends is a researcher at Berkeley. My comments are about F1 and F1 only. Have you ever heard football (real football, what the world calls football, in the US and in my country they call it soccer) fans talk during the World Cup? Surely it would make your ears bend

Nice meltdown.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Holy Cheese posted:

I want Perez in a faster car.

Like I said before, Perez deserved the shot at Merc.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-alonso-winning-mclaren-summer-915635/

:getout:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-f1-test-showed-what-i-lost-915113

Both :unsmith: and :smith:.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

He's gone 100%. By September they'll be lucky to be at least in the points.

Williams welcomes you with open arms, Alonso. Please make us your new project. We have Mercedes engines.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Please don't go to the eternal midpack team Williams Mercedes

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What's the chance that this and Brown's statements weren't coordinated? 0.00001%?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

What's the chance that this and Brown's statements weren't coordinated? 0.00001%?

Brown went to Reuters and Motorsport.com held off on dropping it for a while. I think there's definitely some carefully crafted PR at work.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm excited we get silly mixup before silly season!

We get McLaren with a new engine. Or Nando moves.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I'm excited we get silly mixup before silly season!

We get McLaren with a new engine. Or Nando moves.

I think it's boiled down to "Honda buy the Mercedes tech or this is completely done."

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Realistically if McLaren split from Honda I doubt they could afford Alonso so either way he's gone unless the Honda engine improves.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Good point.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I think it's boiled down to "Honda buy the Mercedes tech or this is completely done."

I think it's more that this next planned upgrade is Honda's last chance. McLaren need to see real progress or they're gone. McLaren also want that upgrade ASAP, but Honda aren't going to rush it given the circumstances.

Also, the last race in September is Singapore, there's no way that's a coincidence.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't think money will ever be a problem in that regard. The owners seem willing to inject cash short-term if it becomes necessary. Brown all but said he was doing the bidding of the board, and they know exactly what it means for their bottom line if they drop Honda. Have to imagine they're willing to deal with the consequences.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I know this hasn't been the best F1 year ever. But as a whole. With the MCLRN drama. Bernie being out. Nando doing the 500. Mercs very likely not to win.

Pretty awesome if you ask me.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

I don't think money will ever be a problem in that regard. The owners seem willing to inject cash short-term if it becomes necessary. Brown all but said he was doing the bidding of the board, and they know exactly what it means for their bottom line if they drop Honda. Have to imagine they're willing to deal with the consequences.

Were talking about a $130mil swing in budget ($145 if you include retaining Nando) which is about a third the budget of a bigger team. Maybe the Bahrainis would foot the bill if oil was $100 a barrel but I think they'll probably be asking for some cost savings for atleast a year if this does happen.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hope McLaren wins some stupid fluke race and Alonso has to stay. I mean, it's not like he'd actually have to stay, but it would be very funny.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Were talking about a $130mil swing in budget ($145 if you include retaining Nando) which is about a third the budget of a bigger team. Maybe the Bahrainis would foot the bill if oil was $100 a barrel but I think they'll probably be asking for some cost savings for atleast a year if this does happen.

You've gotta think of it more like an investment than a subsidy. Dropping Honda would presumably set the team up for greater long-term success - better on track results, more prize money, and because of that, greater sponsorship revenue. They'd only really need to support the team for a single season if it goes as planned, and if putting the Mercedes engine in their car doesn't make them contend for wins, they've got way worse problems.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
If Alonso leaves Mclaren, where the hell does he go? Only places he can really go is Ferrari and Mercedes and as much as I can see both teams ditching Raikkonen and Bottas, I can't imagine Vettel or Hamilton letting him be a teammate. But also lol if he goes to Red Bull.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

keevo posted:

If Alonso leaves Mclaren, where the hell does he go? Only places he can really go is Ferrari and Mercedes and as much as I can see both teams ditching Raikkonen and Bottas, I can't imagine Vettel or Hamilton letting him be a teammate. But also lol if he goes to Red Bull.

Renault would take him in a heartbeat but my guess is he's banking on a Ferrari seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

You've gotta think of it more like an investment than a subsidy. Dropping Honda would presumably set the team up for greater long-term success - better on track results, more prize money, and because of that, greater sponsorship revenue. They'd only really need to support the team for a single season if it goes as planned, and if putting the Mercedes engine in their car doesn't make them contend for wins, they've got way worse problems.

Let's assume for a moment Alonso does leave, and Stoffel re-signs. Who does McLaren pick up to make them competitive for wins? Lewis, both RBR drivers, and Ocon are locked up for next year.

keevo posted:

Both Kimi and Bottas's contract expire this year. I don't see anyone taking Kimi after this unless they absolutely need a driver, or he goes off to do something else, either is likely possible (or both).

Let's put it like this actually, there's only six drivers locked into next rides next year via contracts: Ocon (FI), K-Mag (Haas), Lewis (Merc), both RBRs, and Hulkenberg (Renault).

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 8, 2017

• Locked thread