Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Minto Took posted:

Wear ear protection.

yeah this, I have horrible tinnitus from years of big blocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

this is partly the reason why I think the engines should be based on production units, ideally stuff that is used in other forms of motor sports

I'm in agreement with this.

There's gotta be some sort of compromise that could be made to not disrupt what the series has, but at the same time allows for more competition.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least Indy engines are using cams still, not pneumatic valve actuation.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/HondaJP/status/872287002733031424

https://twitter.com/HondaJP/status/869720323452788736

Welp, Kinda guarantees that Sato's DW-12 is going to the museum in Motegi now. I don't think Honda Japan has been this proud of something from AOWR for a long time.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 7, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It would be awesome to see four chassis makers in the series but until IndyCar gets vape companies legal weed tobacco again somehow...? energy drinks Bitcoin SOMEBODY to throw entirely too much money at teams, there won't be the money to support it on an annual basis. The new rules for LMP2 only really work because costs are fixed and the rules were set for a number of years, and they had more interested existing groups than manufacturer slots going forward.

Another engine or two maybe, but chassis just seems like it'd go a bit too far somehow.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Indycars aren't really that loud by racecar standards, the fm headset by itself would prolly be ok really

Clearly you've never been to an IndyCar oval race...

Also from the OP:

quote:

All Verizon IndyCar Series races are broadcast live on the Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network, Sirius 212, XM 209, IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and on the INDYCAR Mobile app.

This is a list of all US radio stations that will broadcast the Texas race

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

iospace posted:

At least Indy engines are using cams still, not pneumatic valve actuation.

Well their rev range doesn't really call for them

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KingShibby posted:

Clearly you've never been to an IndyCar oval race...

Fontana, Phoenix, IMS, Nazareth, Vegas, Atlanta, and I think one other. IRL, CART, and current IndyCar.

Admittedly i dont remember much of a few of those cause i was small, but Fontana was pretty recent and I don't remember it being that bad at all compared to other series. ymmv i guess

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The old IRL 4.0Ls were hilariously loud. The NASCAR guys who sat around us were stuffing cigarette butts into their ears.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Cygni posted:

Fontana, Phoenix, IMS, Nazareth, Vegas, Atlanta, and I think one other. IRL, CART, and current IndyCar.

Admittedly i dont remember much of a few of those cause i was small, but Fontana was pretty recent and I don't remember it being that bad at all compared to other series. ymmv i guess

You're right, the current formula is relatively quiet because turbos are pretty effective mufflers. The problem is that they're right smack in the super dangerous grey area of "quiet enough to not be painful, but loud enough to do damage."

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I'm a giant wuss when it comes to noise (poo poo, I rarely go to concerts because I hate loud places) and I got through everything at Indy, including the 500, without ever needing earplugs

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, I think I used earbuds at Fontana (to listen to the PA) and felt fine. To be fair, I grew up around racecars and my ears are probably hot hot garbage.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fontana was worse when you were underneath the suite/press box, the sounds were magnified pretty badly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In the stands in Fontana isn't so bad because the rest of the area around the track is so open (and I've never sat below the press box).

The Allison stands at Phoenix, and just about any stand on the front straight at IMS, are much louder thanks to reverberation. With that said I actually had better noise reduction from some snug-fitting earbuds than from my scanner headset.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Got my Road America tickets in the mail today :hellyeah:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, RA tally stands at:

-KingShibby
-iospace
-Lord Crapulus
-Tupacalypse

Anyone I missed?

iospace fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 8, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Do you guys think that people often forget to factor in the amount of money tobacco used in auto racing when being critical of things like attendance, car counts and such?

It feels like people seem to hyper focus on "The Split" for Indycar's problems, but man..Tobacco really did fund a lot of drivers, venues and teams.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm trying to hunt for it, with no luck, but in the past someone linked an old report from Phillip Morris or another cig company that outlined how auto racing would be negatively affected by the loss of tobacco money, and it was pretty spot on. The loss of their sponsor money hurt both sides of the split, and still affects the modern series.

While unsuccessfully looking for that report, I did stumble across an old doctoral dissertation about Indycar & its venues: http://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3178&context=utk_graddiss

Bentai fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 8, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Do you guys think that people often forget to factor in the amount of money tobacco used in auto racing when being critical of things like attendance, car counts and such?

Yep. Tobacco money got exposure, helped pay for TV deals, got eyes on the series, and provided tickets. The sponsorship helped float many teams, either through driver sponsors or direct team sponsorship.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Texas is this weekend, reminder of the finish of the rained out race last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv8KNya9aeA

(the whole race wasnt that close, but the ending was amazing.)

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

FuzzySkinner posted:

It feels like people seem to hyper focus on "The Split"

Fuzzy did you just become self-aware? I'm so proud!

Also the selfish part of me hopes the race gets delayed because I have poo poo I need to do this weekend so I can't go up to the race.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Talk about there being a second full time car for RLL next year: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/141264-rahal-closing-in-on-second-indycar-entry-for-2018

I don't particularly like Rahal (either of them) but more cars is nothing but great.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

It feels like people seem to hyper focus on "The Split" for Indycar's problems, but man..Tobacco really did fund a lot of drivers, venues and teams.

It's easier to focus on The Split because it was an easily identified single event with definite and traceable effects.

Tobacco money going away was more gradual, especially when you had things like the non-branded Penske cars. This car didn't say Marlboro anywhere on it, but everyone knew where the money came from.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Lord Crapulus posted:

Talk about there being a second full time car for RLL next year: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/141264-rahal-closing-in-on-second-indycar-entry-for-2018

I don't particularly like Rahal (either of them) but more cars is nothing but great.

Harding said they'd be going full time next year too, after Indy, Texas, and Pocono this year. That's hopefully +2 for next year's grid, making it 23 cars for the season. Maybe one more in the next two years if Juncos gets everything together, for 24.

That's got to be close to the upper limit for what Honda and Chevy can furnish, you think?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's easier to focus on The Split because it was an easily identified single event with definite and traceable effects.

Tobacco money going away was more gradual, especially when you had things like the non-branded Penske cars. This car didn't say Marlboro anywhere on it, but everyone knew where the money came from.

That car and paint combo is nooooot a good one. Might be the sharp angles.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
No paint job looked good on that car.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sponsorship situation at Texas is pretty bleak. 3 Andretti cars blank, Rahal running Lanigan's company on the side, and Dixon running the probably-not-paying NTT Data colors. Youch.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

WindyMan posted:

That's got to be close to the upper limit for what Honda and Chevy can furnish, you think?

I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that both manufacturers had committed to supplying 13 full time entries each next year.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

No paint job looked good on that car.

In road course/short oval trim, with just the right paint job, at just the right angle, the IR-05 was an alright looking car.

vvvv Nah, the first generation IRL cars (IR-7 and whatever the G-Force one was) were even worse. Except the Riley & Scott, it was alright. Slow as hell, but it looked fine.

Theris fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 9, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The IR-05 is probably the least attractive racing car ever created.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the 1997-1998 IRL cars weren't great but the 1999-2002 cars were good lookers.

Also I had forgotten about the IRL trying to make touring car-style numberplates a thing.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

wicka posted:

The IR-05 is probably the least attractive racing car ever created.

I actually have never minded the DW12 that much just because of what came before it.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Bentai posted:

Fontana was worse when you were underneath the suite/press box, the sounds were magnified pretty badly.

Yeah, the stands are like a big funnel. I never had any problems out in the open. Not even the 4 liters.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The thing that sucked about the 2000's Dallara chassis was apparently we could have had Reynard's and Lola's create their own chassis to compete with them. (per an old Miller Mailbag).

But that didn't happen...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Cygni posted:

Sponsorship situation at Texas is pretty bleak. 3 Andretti cars blank, Rahal running Lanigan's company on the side, and Dixon running the probably-not-paying NTT Data colors. Youch.

Lol that is really bad

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the 1997-1998 IRL cars weren't great but the 1999-2002 cars were good lookers.

Also I had forgotten about the IRL trying to make touring car-style numberplates a thing.

I appreciate the number plates but they just don't look great on open-wheel cars.

Also blue Menards look secretly the best Menards look.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

For best looking car of that era, it's all about the 3rd chassis that never ran*... THE FALCON, BABY:

gotta love a chassis bankrolled purely out of spite

*some people say it did get tested once, but there are zero pictures and the only mockup ive ever seen of the car has fake suspension mountings and looks to just be a carbon shell so uh, i dunno about that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

harperdc posted:

I appreciate the number plates but they just don't look great on open-wheel cars.

Also blue Menards look secretly the best Menards look.

the best Menards look was the one-race-only Cingular Wireless/Menards car

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Green Menards hello

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Robby Gordon's electric yellow and blue car from the '99 500 was gonna drop in and say hi, but it ran out of fuel on the way here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

guess who has two thumbs and got his Are Nando/Andretti hat today (well ahead of the quoted time in fact)

also I'm likely going to Gateway MSP

• Locked thread