Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If you did midtier/back-end stuff, you're fine. Seems that your product and design team needs to uh...do some self-reflection, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
It's just that it's so painfully obvious to us that this is a terrible terrible front-end experience. Both UX and UI make no sense.

Don't change my icons either god drat it.

But congrats on the first shipping !

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Carbon dioxide posted:

google.com is still not valid html. Never has been afaik.

Almost like having valid html may not be the most important thing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ChickenWing posted:

You're right, it is ridiculous. And that's all I'm going to say about our FE vendor in a public forum while I'm still employed and my company still has to work with them for a couple months :sun:

Hell, I'd hire you.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

What language / location is this?
But yeah, long wait for unpleasant experience. I am getting to old for that poo poo.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Portugese/Brazil

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Portugese/Brazil

I thought you guys just had a localized version to Brazil :v:

Can I just say that this trend of having the pages on this cute-speak thing is super annoying?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

HardDiskD posted:

I thought you guys just had a localized version to Brazil :v:

Can I just say that this trend of having the pages on this cute-speak thing is super annoying?

you

have

no

idea

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

you

have

no

idea

:magical:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So I am the kind of person who loves to open the developer console on Chrome just to see what random js components are screaming "Kill me! I am broken!" in the console. I didn't see any of that, but there were a lot of 404s for random images.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I would love to weigh in with something intelligent on this but unfortunately I'm blindly typing through a pink afterimage that fills my entire field of vision

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I work as a sysadmin for a software development company. There's an internal company wide bug tracking system but recently people started requesting installs of taiga, wekan, etc. The most recent requestor I pointed towards an existing internal taiga install replied back with this gem

quote:

Taiga seems to have more and different functionality than what I'm thinking we'd need. It seems to be much more geared towards very discreet issue and enhancement tracking

Yes. That's what kanban is meant for. Tracking discreet items. $KANBANSOFTWARE that you requested does the same thing.

Pretty sure this guy heard the word "kanban" whispered in the halls and decided to request on.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I read about the can-ban on LinkedIn this morning. I would like to requisition one (1) can-ban for the team with plans for deploying it to the rest of the office tomorrow. It must be Agile and password-protected. I don't want any hackers hacking our service-oriented architecture.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lifg posted:

Another great reason to interview at one of the giants is the confidence boost. You'll walk into every other interview knowing that you've faced the hardest and didn't crumple.

For what it's worth, this totally worked for me. I interviewed for an ops role at Google and made it through the whole thing, including onsite, before they finally decided to pass on me. I kinda bombed the coding portion of the interview (it wasn't SRE, just standard sysadmin, so I wasn't really expecting to have to whiteboard a bunch of algorithms I hadn't touched in years). I was bummed for a while, and felt blindsided by questions irrelevant to the position I was applying for, but whatever. Lesson learned.

It DID lead to me absolutely crushing the interview for my current job, though. I had spent a ton of time cramming Linux, networking, and large-scale systems design for Google. So any technical interviews I faced after that were a walk in the park. I feel much more confident and at ease knowing that nothing is likely to be as rough as going through that wringer was.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I've spent the last hour moving two war files into a staging directory. Why? Because for some reason they cut off staging access for our physical machines so I have to log into a VM to stage our application. And since I can't copy and paste to the vm, I have to pass the files over using git of all things. We have some kind of McAfee apeshit scan that happens on every file so I literally spent 30 minutes downloading each file and now I'll spend another 30 copying each one out to its staging directory.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pollyanna posted:

I read about the can-ban on LinkedIn this morning. I would like to requisition one (1) can-ban for the team with plans for deploying it to the rest of the office tomorrow. It must be Agile and password-protected. I don't want any hackers hacking our service-oriented architecture.

The most important part is that you have a good keikaku*.

*keikaku means plan

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Clipboard hijacking is totally a thing and I feel bad for you if you have to manually touch servers at all for a deploy.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rubellavator posted:

I've spent the last hour moving two war files into a staging directory. Why? Because for some reason they cut off staging access for our physical machines so I have to log into a VM to stage our application. And since I can't copy and paste to the vm, I have to pass the files over using git of all things. We have some kind of McAfee apeshit scan that happens on every file so I literally spent 30 minutes downloading each file and now I'll spend another 30 copying each one out to its staging directory.

Git clone with a file local remote in the staging dir?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Google, after rejecting me nine months ago, gave me a recruitment call today. I understand them being open to re-applications, but I didn't realize they'd actually come after you.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

raminasi posted:

Google, after rejecting me nine months ago, gave me a recruitment call today. I understand them being open to re-applications, but I didn't realize they'd actually come after you.

Yeah, I've been getting calls every 9-12 months since I graduated. Should be about due now that I think about it.

Always fail at the onsite. :/

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

leper khan posted:

Always fail at the onsite. :/

Do they put you up in a hotel for each attempted onsite? If so... not a bad trade off. I wish I could be wine and dinned by my current company all over again.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

Clipboard hijacking is totally a thing and I feel bad for you if you have to manually touch servers at all for a deploy.
Up until about a year ago our staging and production deployments involved copy-pasting folders around, hand editing config files and running scripts while remote-desktopped to servers in Australia over a mindbogglingly slow VPN connection. The whole process was pretty much two hours of hardcore concentration while being simultaneously bored out of your mind and also incredibly stressed.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

For what it's worth, this totally worked for me. I interviewed for an ops role at Google and made it through the whole thing, including onsite, before they finally decided to pass on me. I kinda bombed the coding portion of the interview (it wasn't SRE, just standard sysadmin, so I wasn't really expecting to have to whiteboard a bunch of algorithms I hadn't touched in years). I was bummed for a while, and felt blindsided by questions irrelevant to the position I was applying for, but whatever. Lesson learned.

It DID lead to me absolutely crushing the interview for my current job, though. I had spent a ton of time cramming Linux, networking, and large-scale systems design for Google. So any technical interviews I faced after that were a walk in the park. I feel much more confident and at ease knowing that nothing is likely to be as rough as going through that wringer was.
I owe my entire career to the recruiter at Google who contacted me while I was at my first job. I never even ended up interviewing there -- they used to (maybe still do?) do this thing at the early part of the assessment where they ask you to self-rate your skills in certain technologies, and he dropped off the planet when I basically asked him for a rubric on some of the categories -- but in prep for that interview I ended up spending like 160 hours in my home lab learning everything I could about Linux fundamentals like nsswitch/PAM, LDAP, Kerberos, NFS, etc. and I obliterated my subsequent interview at a big biotech nonprofit. Even the interviews that don't happen are great practice if they force you to hold yourself to the highest possible standard.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'm just venting. The situation for me isn't as bad as it is for other people. Most people here actually develop on those slow as poo poo VMs. The recent antivirus change means that every time you need to add 10-15 minutes to your build time because McAfee is doing an in-depth scan of every jar involved.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Nevermind just making you better for interviews, preparing for an interview ~ year ago made me a better developer.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I should apply to Google. Should I apply to any old position, or be picky about what looks more interesting? There's all sorts of stuff I wanna do that I don't always have opportunities for.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Pollyanna posted:

I should apply to Google. Should I apply to any old position, or be picky about what looks more interesting? There's all sorts of stuff I wanna do that I don't always have opportunities for.
Aim for whatever you think you have the best chance of getting, since from my understanding, there's very little relationship between the job you interview for and the job you'll probably end up working if they hire you anyway. (The rejection of Max Howell, creator of Homebrew, is a full-on case study in this.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I feel kinda bad just going home at 2~3pm whenever I'm in the office, cause there's literally nothing to do on my team right now and my time is better served somewhere other than an office chair if this is how it's gonna go. I know it sounds awful and lazy, but seriously.

Vulture Culture posted:

Aim for whatever you think you have the best chance of getting, since from my understanding, there's very little relationship between the job you interview for and the job you'll probably end up working if they hire you anyway. (The rejection of Max Howell, creator of Homebrew, is a full-on case study in this.)

Gotcha. Might wait a bit until my skills are a bit higher, then.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 7, 2017

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Pollyanna posted:

Gotcha. Might wait a bit until my skills are a bit higher, then.

Like, tomorrow?

There's no advantage to waiting, unless maybe you're talking about the difference between having 9 months experience vs 12 months (because the 1 year-ish mark is a magic number). If you interview at Google and completely suck, they'll forget about you and you can reapply in 6 months. If you do better, they'll remember you and ask you to reapply in 6 months.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Mniot posted:

Like, tomorrow?

There's no advantage to waiting, unless maybe you're talking about the difference between having 9 months experience vs 12 months (because the 1 year-ish mark is a magic number). If you interview at Google and completely suck, they'll forget about you and you can reapply in 6 months. If you do better, they'll remember you and ask you to reapply in 6 months.

I believe it's actually one year, at least according to one of their recruiter's back in January.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pollyanna posted:

I feel kinda bad just going home at 2~3pm whenever I'm in the office, cause there's literally nothing to do on my team right now and my time is better served somewhere other than an office chair if this is how it's gonna go. I know it sounds awful and lazy, but seriously.

I'm gonna lol in a sad way for you when you get put on a PIP because you're "just not putting in the work."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pollyanna posted:

Check your PMs, would ya?

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm gonna lol in a sad way for you when you get put on a PIP because you're "just not putting in the work."

If they can't figure out things for Pollyanna to do, I don't think they even know what PIPs are.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

A PIP is a method to deny a resource a raise.

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING

Pollyanna posted:

Can you build out some tooling or tackle some pain points or something? Creating value without being explicitly told to do it is a big aspect of the best senior devs I've seen.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm rooting for you, Pollyanna.

For myself, some unclear mixture of intimidation and disrespect has kept me from applying to Google. Maybe the even-handed way to put it is: I don't have confidence that Google's interview process will value the qualities I'm proud of.

Though I didn't write homebrew so I guess I have a shot. :v:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Doc Hawkins posted:

For myself, some unclear mixture of intimidation and disrespect has kept me from applying to Google. Maybe the even-handed way to put it is: I don't have confidence that Google's interview process will value the qualities I'm proud of.

I just don't want to go through 8h of being interviewed in a day.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Skandranon posted:

I just don't want to go through 8h of being interviewed in a day.

It's not too bad. My amazon interview was 5 hours, and after a while it turns into a steady adrenaline- and coffee-fueled marathon. I left feeling like I could tackle the world.

(Caveat: I did not get the job.)

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Pointsman posted:

Can you build out some tooling or tackle some pain points or something? Creating value without being explicitly told to do it is a big aspect of the best senior devs I've seen.

"That's great, but we really need you to be billing hours." :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Volmarias posted:

Check your PMs, would ya?

:pwn: fixed

Pointsman posted:

The big value adds we can score for our team/product aren't really something that can be achieved on an individual level. A lot of our problems are systemic in nature, rising from flawed processes, poor communication between the designers, devs, and QA team, codebase ownership being spread weirdly among the entire organization, inaccurate and constantly changing specs and requirements, etc. It's a common pattern across the organization that hasn't resolved itself even though they've had a whole bunch of meetings on it already :shrug: And the smaller stuff that would be value adds are already scheduled/captured in the backlog and are basically a matter of time/properly doling out work among teams which is also completely lopsided towards one team or another.

Basically, our organization's way of working really hampers the ability to pull that off. Also,

Iverron posted:

"That's great, but we really need you to be billing hours." :v:

Doc Hawkins posted:

Thanks :) It's worth a shot at least, just to see what it's like - but yeah, I feel you on the intimidation side of it. Google's been hyped up like an end-boss of sorts for some reason, even though it's a company like any other. There's this weird mental road bump associated with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

return0
Apr 11, 2007
You should apply to Amazon, it's actually cool and good.