Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

apparently the answer to my os x carbon programming woes is "use gcc" just like every other system in the universe and you can just tell it to link with carbon

GCC has now been compiling for 2 hours with no end in sight

my dude just use Mac OS 9.2.2 and CodeWarrior, it'll be so nice, it's how some of us used to live and it's interestingly different

I set it up on my PowerBook G4 and it's so slick and fast…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

NihilCredo posted:

for the record my current holder of the "least bad postgres client" title is dbeaver

dbeaver is pretty good, yeah.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

eschaton posted:

my dude just use Mac OS 9.2.2 and CodeWarrior, it'll be so nice, it's how some of us used to live and it's interestingly different

I set it up on my PowerBook G4 and it's so slick and fast…

yeah os 9 runs really really fast on the G3

you're supposed to be able to select the Classic system folder as a startup disk but it just reboots into Tiger when I try.

If I can re-partition the drive from some PPC Linux without erasing everything that would be ideal. I would gladly dual boot 9 and 10.4. what modern linux runs on PPC? maybe BSD could do it too.

e: looks like you might be able to do it with a PPC Ubuntu disk or an old MintPPC disk. since this thing can boot from a flash drive via openfirmware that makes it easier

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 6, 2017

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Captain Foo posted:

how do i learn about datas base? sort of get the concept in a vague sense but i have no idea how they work under the hood or what, sort of have to treat them as a black box rn and I don't like doing that!!

how much do you currently know? what are you trying to learn - general theory, one specific product, bit of both, ...? what rdbms are you looking at?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

e.g. perf tuning a specific query using mssql columnstore indexes won't be helpful if you're trying to figure out left joins in mysql

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

redleader posted:

e.g. perf tuning a specific query using mssql columnstore indexes won't be helpful if you're trying to figure out left joins in mysql

welcome to perf

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah os 9 runs really really fast on the G3

you should see it on like a 1GHz G4, like the 1GHz Titanium I was thinking of picking up

though I should maybe get the dual 1.2 G4 that was the last system to boot Mac OS 9 instead

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm trying to continually insert a lot of rows, as fast as possible, in postgresql

any protips are welcome

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm trying to continually insert a lot of rows, as fast as possible, in postgresql

any protips are welcome

use mongodb if you want webscale

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
are you doing the inserts separately, one row at a time? don't, phrase your insertion as a bulk query: insert into blah select ...
(if you're in plpgsql then build up the inserts in an array and at the end just insert into blah select * from unnest(array))
you can also use the copy command if possible, it is much faster than separate inserts

now, assuming this is a one-time bulk insert job:
does your table have any constraints or indexes defined on them? these have to be checked/recomputed for each new row. can you remove the constraints and indexes to readd later once you're done?
are you willing to forego crash safety during your insert? if so, set the table to unlogged, this will make writes significantly faster

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm trying to write a scala compiler plugin that detects leaked futures and yeah, i'm not completing this project any time soon or ever

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wouldn't the answer depend on what (_|_) means by "continually" and whether or not these inserts are things that "need" to be inserted as quickly as possible? also would there be problems if you're sitting there collecting enough rows to start a bulk insert and whatever system is sitting there doing the collecting goes down

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i had lunch with ex-coworkers and they said the 10k loc project i grunted out in my last few months is working great and that another programmer (who I don't know and only had access to my documentation) has taken it over successfully with only minimal cursing of my name.

my greatest programming feat.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 7, 2017

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

carry on then posted:

pretty sure that doesn't work on tiger

give it a try i think one of the maintainers was doing tiger builds recently

https://github.com/mistydemeo/tigerbrew https://twitter.com/mactigerbrew

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Lutha Mahtin posted:

wouldn't the answer depend on what (_|_) means by "continually" and whether or not these inserts are things that "need" to be inserted as quickly as possible? also would there be problems if you're sitting there collecting enough rows to start a bulk insert and whatever system is sitting there doing the collecting goes down

yes and yes!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

trip report

there's an Ubuntu PPC live CD from August 2016 that works on G3/G4/G5. worked fine with no configuration but there's some weird graphics glitches on my iMac though where everything is all rainbow colored? I blame ATI's lovely drivers

anyway gparted and hfsutils came preinstalled. it detected all my hardware and my network automatically so I snagged hfsprogs with apt to give gparted HFS+ support. it is currently shuffling my partitions around so I can tri-boot OS 9 for CodeWarrior, Tiger for OS X funsies, and Ubuntu for... running Linux on something other than i386

I'm surprised how well Tiger works on a 400MHz computer

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 7, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Symbolic Butt posted:

any protips are welcome

batch them up and use COPY FROM STDIN, though if you have a trash-tier database access library then it might not support streaming TSV data down the db connection in the manner that COPY requires.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm surprised how well Tiger works on a 400MHz computer

apple used to be very judicious in adding new features in case they might hurt performance

in retrospect dashboard (in tiger) was the warning siren

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the fact that installing Tiger required over 128MB—officially it required 256MB to install, but it may have installed with as little as 160MB—was a Big Deal at the time, and it still had to run acceptably in 128MB post install (realistically such an install would be a NetBoot or blasting a preconfigured image to the disk with asr)

of course like 10.1-10.3 before it, it was also faster on the same hardware

I think the minimum for 10.5 was 512MB, too bad it also set an 867 MHz G4 as the minimum hardware

and too bad that Snow Leopard dropped PowerPC

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the progression from 10.0 to tiger was awesome. each release was faster than the previous one on the same hardware

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

AppKit added back support for rendering only dirty subrects to NSView in 10.2.7 for Safari (API in 10.3 that was declared to work on 10.2.7) and it made a huge difference for some apps and for the frameworks themselves

pre-OpenStep, NXView got a list of dirty rectangles to render passed to its -draw:: method, but in OpenStep's NSView, AppKit just unioned every rectangle that was touched and passed a single one to -drawRect: for simplicity and because the rectangle list stuff had been an optimization to eke acceptable performance out of a 25MHz 68030 with 8MB of RAM

…hey Luigi Thirty, I think I know what your next retro project should be for, got a 68030 NeXT Computer?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

not unless you've got a nextcube you're going to send me for christmas

the boot selection screen started recognizing my gparted USB drive as a bootable device though so that's neat since OS 9 won't boot for some reason

OS 9 wants to be in the first 8GB of a drive, which it is. the System Folder is blessed, selectable in Startup Disk and works as a Classic folder but it stops at the blinking question mark when booting. diskutil says the OS 9 drivers are installed on the disk

it looks like gparted screwed up the partition table when I was moving partitions around. the partitions were in the wrong order according to their location on the disk which was confusing Disk Utility (but not pdisk). i had to boot from an installer flash drive and un-fuckulate it with pdisk.

e: this might be easier if my Mac had a working optical drive and I could run the actual OS 9 installer instead of copying system folders around. OS 9 refuses to boot from the USB drive period but OS X has no problem with it.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 7, 2017

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i had lunch with ex-coworkers and they said the 10k loc project i grunted out in my last few months is working great and that another programmer (who I don't know and only had access to my documentation) has taken it over successfully with only minimal cursing of my name.

my greatest programming feat.

you should really stop now, its only downhill from there.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

any sql 101 resources someone has stashed somewhere? i got a bit of postgres touching planned later down the road in my jerb so it'd be good know some basic syntax and if i want some free tool instead of sql manager ive got even if i could just ask db people to get data for me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

last time i did something major with sql was like mid-2000s on a microsoft sql server 2000

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

client standup starts, most of team not there by 5 mins in, so those of us there do our updates

..........then other sites join when we're done and we start over from scratch!

this client is so loving :negative:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i got it. now i can dual boot OS 9 and OS X :toot:

OS 9 fliiiiiiiiiiies on a G3

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
flies into the wall every 10 minutes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Luigi Thirty posted:

i got it. now i can dual boot OS 9 and OS X :toot:

OS 9 fliiiiiiiiiiies on a G3

isn't the fastest machine it'll run on something like a dual G4 1ghz?

classic mac os on multiple processors is weird to think about

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

not really, you could get a DayStar Genesis with up to 4× PowerPC 604e processors and 1.5GB of RAM in 1996

they flew for Photoshop and software development, the Multiprocessor API lets you use preemptive threads on even single CPU machines; the OS only ran on a single CPU so as long as you could keep them fed you could get really good throughput

eschaton fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 7, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

codewarrior trip report: it's good for an IDE from 2001

resedit trip report: it sucks and i wish there were an easier way to preview controls in windows than rebuilding my application

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

codewarrior trip report: it's good for an IDE from 2001

resedit trip report: it sucks and i wish there were an easier way to preview controls in windows than rebuilding my application

Metrowerks PowerPlant has an interface development tool called Constructor that's more like what you'd expect

MacApp had Mouser for that

and of course pros mostly used Resorcerer rather than ResEdit for their resource editing needs (unless they just used .r files and Rez…)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ah, yes. an object-oriented app toolkit. perfect.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ctps: i'm somehow starting to understand this gibberish

e: the 99 bottles impl is still unreadable to me tho: http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/language-jcl-6.html

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

drat it i miss ispf
i even miss having jcl around, somehow. i do not miss writing it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

carry on then posted:

ctps: i'm somehow starting to understand this gibberish

e: the 99 bottles impl is still unreadable to me tho: http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/language-jcl-6.html

oh is the IBM mainframe college thing back again? that was fun. I like ISPF. JCL can eat a big fat d*ck

anyway I figured out why I'm so confused by CodeWarrior's lack of actual Mac API documentation

The PowerPlant book posted:

The CodeWarrior Reference CD contains electronic versions of several programming books including: Learn C on the Macintosh by Dave Mark; Programming Starter Kit for Macintosh by Jim Trudeau; and Learn C++ on the Macintosh by Dave Mark. These books cover everything you need to know about programming languages as well as Mac programming, from memory management to drag and drop using an object-oriented approach in C. The exercises use the CodeWarrior environment.

the copy of the reference disk I got from Macintosh Garden is missing these books! :mad:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

re: sql. got dbeaver setup and it's pretty ok. accidentally broke the driver by reading too much github before opening the program but w/e

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh is the IBM mainframe college thing back again? that was fun. I like ISPF. JCL can eat a big fat d*ck

nah i'm in charge of developing a java tool that has a z/os version with some jobs so i'm teaching myself this wack rear end language as prodev

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

could be worse, the z/OS version could be in PL/X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

every few years i think mainframes might be interesting to learn about and every time i get five minutes in before it turns into a hall of mirrors nightmare of impenetrable three-letter acronyms and weird non-standard terminology

• Locked thread