Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

evilweasel posted:

who cares if it's a good idea, the idiot writer thinks you convict with a bare majority of the senate

Hahaha, I didn't even see that. Yeah, Kos, ladies and gents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Archonex posted:

When I think of viable candidates to run against Trump and his appeal to misogyny and bigotry I think of women that have been systematically slandered by conservatives since they obtained even an iota of power and influence. That will certainly win everyone over and stop the Republicans from destroying our rights!
can you read, because he's not talking about her running a campaign, dude

it's still dumb but your reasons for opposing it are ALSO dumb

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there any legal problem with Comey leaking his memo? Did we hear him say it was declassified?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Trump's speech at Faith and Freedom Coalition posted:

The entrenched interests and failed bitter voices in Washington will do everything in their power to try and stop us from this righteous cause, to try to stop all of you.

They will lie, they will obstruct, they will spread their hatred and their prejudice. But we will not back down from doing what is right because, as the Bible tells us, we know that the truth will prevail, that God's glorious wisdom will shine through and that the good and decent people of this country will get the change they voted for and that they so richly deserve.

Trump's speech at Faith and Freedom Coalition posted:

Family is the foundation of American life, and we are proud to stand together with all of you to promote and protect family values.

We are here today to celebrate two values that have always been linked together, and where Ralph frankly has done such a great job in linking them[into] faith and freedom. They are linked together because liberty comes from our creator, our rights are given to us by a divine authority and no earthly force can ever take those rights away.

That is why my administration is taking power out of Washington and giving it back to the people where it belongs, said right from the beginning.

For too long, politicians have tried to centralize authority among the hands of a small few in our nation's capitol, people get very rich. Bureaucrats think they can run over your lives, overrule your values and tell you how to live. But we know that families and churches, not government officials, know best how to create a strong and loving community. We know that parents, not bureaucrats, know best how to raise children and create a thriving society.

And above all else we know this: In America, we don't worship government, we worship God. All right? We worship God.

Thank you. our religious liberty is enshrined in the very first amendment in the Bill of Rights, the American founders invoked our creator four times in the Declaration of Independence.

Don't worry, we're not going to let them change it.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Xae posted:

42 Minute and we're back to Slapfights and Hentai.

I forgot that people are complex creatures who can perhaps care about multiple things at once. I've spoken with a lot of humans in my time, I think I can attest to this.

Also how the gently caress can you not talk about hentai at a time like this, this is amazing

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Brony Car posted:

I have no opinion on this. Why do you think she has been great?

She's competent at her job, and she will get the votes if needed.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Read the arcticle?

Using evidence and facts is a sign of NEOLIBERALISM you fuckign shill.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What is it with Kurts shooting their mouths off

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

cochise posted:

You can't say this until the piss tapes are released.

No.

Not until he accidentally streams himself jacking off.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Vegetable posted:

Is there any legal problem with Comey leaking his memo? Did we hear him say it was declassified?

None. The only reason it was a "leak" was because he wanted to obfuscate that he was the person providing the info. It was completely and totally legal.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Vegetable posted:

No. He wrote it in a way that it did not need to be classified and when he had his friend send it to the press he was doing it as a private citizen.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Retro42 posted:

I haven't really seen it mentioned here but every time Comey was asked why he was fired he responded with some variation of "I was fired because of the Russian investigation because the President said as much." Seems like that will be fairly damning testimony as the Special Counsel puts a case together.

There is nothing legally wrong with firing Comey because of the Russian investigation.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Vegetable posted:

He explicitly said he wrote it declassified. Reasoning it would be easier to pass around the office that way.

Don't think that's really considered a leak.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Brony Car posted:

like i said, there's basically been zero defections in the House where the person's vote was needed since 2006

that's her job. when it comes to campaigning, that's usually someone else's job, her job is to keep her caucus in line and to get bills passed and she's always been very, very good at it. her job isn't to be popular, and usually her job requires being the bad guy for her members.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Vegetable posted:

He said many of those memos were unclassified to begin with, but that he does not personally have them anymore. It's up to Mueller or any journalists who still possess them. There are no legal problems with the leak because they were not classified and he was acting as a private citizen passing on his own recollections and writeups.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

theflyingorc posted:

Given that i'm at work and can't spare the time to read the article (Never mind how fast the thread is moving.) I assumed "2018 is a presidential year: Trump vs Pelosi" was indicative of some sort of attempt to position her to run during the next election. My bad.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Drone posted:

God I wish she'd loving retire. As a party leader she's been pretty much terrible across the board. Props for being the first female Speaker of the House and all, but just... please let someone else hold the reins for awhile.

Pelosi is VERY good at her job. If you believe otherwise you've been suckered by Republican party shtick.

Is she a good person? No she's a career politician. Of course not. You don't get to be a majority leader by being nice.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Vegetable posted:

No, those memos were never classified.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Brony Car posted:

She does an amazing job at whipping the caucus, passed legislation we need (like a climate bill) and uses all the tools and techniques of the House she can to Democrats' advantage.

Comparing her to the history of Congress, we have to go far back to find a better Speaker.

Archonex posted:

Given that i'm at work and can't spare the time to read the article (Never mind how fast the thread is moving.) I assumed "2018 is a presidential year: Trump vs Pelosi" was indicative of some sort of attempt to position her to run during the next election. My bad.

2018 isn't a presidential election year. She'll be running in 2018 for her seat in SF.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 8, 2017

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Trump is a very good example for the people who don't get that Hitler wasn't personally a Christian even though he said Bible-y things in his speeches

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Drone posted:

at? Presiding over the Democrats losing control of the House and then failing to adapt to the strategies an opposition party needs to maintain?

she's not the head of the dnc, this is not her job at all

pelosi was amazingly effective as speaker of the house and has been spectacular as house minority leader

her politics are somewhat questionable, but she has absolutely crushed it in the role she's been put in

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The best thing for the democrats would be a blue wave in 2020. They need to take all the state houses to fix the districts into not giving the GOP a 5-8% advantage in the popular vote for congressional seats. The worst thing is Nancy loving Pelosi taking office in 2018, giving the republicans back the opposition title with a nationally unpopular woman president to bring the regressives out in droves again when we are beyond due for a recession.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

Pelosi is VERY good at her job. If you believe otherwise you've been suckered by Republican party shtick.

Is she a good person? No she's a career politician. Of course not. You don't get to be a majority leader by being nice.

I agree with this. As a leader she has been ruthless in her job of herding cats, and has made it very clear to her caucus that unauthorized defections will be punished severely. If you need a hall pass, you have to ask and if the answer is no, fall in line or else.

She's probably not a fun person to work with, but she's really good at her job.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It sucks that WaPo has literally just written an article about how Comey has become the thing he hated because he "leaked" his memo. They compare his action to the leaks of classified info that he has raged against. It's lazy reporting.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Kaddish posted:

There is nothing legally wrong with firing Comey because of the Russian investigation.

wrong, that's what obstruction of justice is

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

the talent deficit posted:

she's not the head of the dnc, this is not her job at all

pelosi was amazingly effective as speaker of the house and has been spectacular as house minority leader

her politics are somewhat questionable, but she has absolutely crushed it in the role she's been put in

Yup. She shouldn't be immune from criticism for her positions, but as minority leader she's done a great job.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaddish posted:

wrong

https://twitter.com/RobertMaguire_/status/872856845043609600

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/872867337787121664

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

wrong, that's what obstruction of justice is

No, it's not, at least in this context. You would more correct with the Flynn conversation.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pelosi is excellent at the job of whipping votes. Politically she seems like a net negative, but pretty much 100% of voting is based on 1) Tribal identity and 2) Opinions about the president. So, it's debatable whether anyone else in her shoes would be any better at the "get/keep dems in power" part of the job.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Dietrich posted:

The best thing for the democrats would be a blue wave in 2020. They need to take all the state houses to fix the districts into not giving the GOP a 5-8% advantage in the popular vote for congressional seats. The worst thing is Nancy loving Pelosi taking office in 2018, giving the republicans back the opposition title with a nationally unpopular woman president to bring the regressives out in droves again when we are beyond due for a recession.

Nancy Pelosi would not be good for the Presidency. She will go to bat for the President though if asked. She got Cap and Trade through the House somehow.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaddish posted:

No, it's not, at least in this context. You would more correct with the Flynn conversation.

wrong

given that you are saying wrong, stupid things based on nothing more than your authority as a person who has heard law-speaking things, i dont feel the need to say anything more

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

what the hell did he think was gonna happen in the comey testimony, having an interviewed scheduled in the first place

Prophecy0
Jun 27, 2004

I am holding down vomit after reading this. It's beyond obvious that Trump isn't at all a believer in a higher power, yet the religious right will believe every drat word he says.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kaddish posted:

If the intent was to obstruct justice, which it certainly seems that it was, then I'm afraid I have some bad news for you...

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Kaddish posted:

Firing a person, even if you're allowed to fire that person for any reason, to impede an investigation is obstruction of justice.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What is the point of my CNN+ subscription if they just give away the good stuff for free?

What is cnn+?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kaddish posted:

Firing the FBI director because you don't like him, or you think he's bad at his job, or because you think he has a goofy face and wears cheap suits are all fine and legal.

Firing the director of the FBI with the intention of stopping the Russia investigation is obstruction of justice, and is a Federal crime. A sitting president can not be prosecuted for a federal crime because he's the president, but he still broke the law. There are just no legal consequences while he's in office. If he were impeached and not pardoned, he could then be prosecuted for it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I mean the only negative thing I can say about Pelosi is she's part of the old guard. I do think it's time for a new coat of paint on the Democratic party, and I'd like to see a bigger stretch to appeal to both young people and marginal voters. An overall party facelift would help that, and Pelosi is kind of the opposite of that. That said, she's very good at her actual job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

evilweasel posted:

wrong

given that you are saying wrong, stupid things based on nothing more than your authority as a person who has heard law-speaking things, i dont feel the need to say anything more

Well, you don't need to say anything more - unfortunately it doesn't make you right. The President has the authority to fire the FBI directory for any reason, or no reason, as Comey himself stated earlier today.

• Locked thread