Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Buffalo Chicken runs his Ogryns into a squad of 20 Electoo priests, who proceed to give them a series of lethal handjobs so brutal it made them wish they'd stayed on whatever Of-Mice-and-Men-rear end planet they came from
yoooo you forgot my highlights:

- Not asking what Electoo Priests do before charging because the Narrative Forge is burning so hot and heavy in my brain (turns out they murder really, really hard).
- Attempting a 12" charge with Warlord "Iron Gut" Jameson (counts-as Straken) and using a Command Point to re-roll a die into the necessary boxcars. After this incredible berzerker charge he killed a single Electoo Priest and died.
- Using another Command Point to re-roll my dead Taurox into the necessary 6 for an explosion, intentionally vaporizing my own Veterans to save them from the indignity of fleeing after their inevitable Morale failure.

I definitely made some bad plays, most notably trying to move my Rough Riders towards the flank to tie up the terrifying Autocannon Havocs (they never made it). I should have either used them to snag the objective or outflanked them from reserves. In terms of moving too quick towards the objective, my hope was to get them to grab it before their numbers were whittled down - in hindsight I should have deployed the Veterans on foot, with the transports boxing them in to lend cover. Having them embarked gave little mobility advantage in the situation and just denied me two turns of shooting with the squad's special weapons.

That list was just "lovely 7th edition units crammed together to see how they do now," so now that I've read the IG unit rules I'm excited to write a more legit list. Had a really good time, and looking forward to the next game!

TheChirurgeon posted:

- Buffalo Chicken is a madman who will overcharge his plasma guns 100% of the time even when there is no strategic benefit
:madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I booked the 19th off to paint my biglys
Mock me

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ayn Marx posted:

I booked the 19th off to paint my biglys
Mock me

you god drat idiot dork idiot!!!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Thank you I needed this

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
happy to help friend

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I have a Tau army which is also Babbys First Army and paint job.

Edit: Now with pictures!

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 8, 2017

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I played another test round of 8th today against AdMech this time, I think I can say that unless my understanding of how piling in works is dead wrong, Hormagaunts are terrific now because of how easy it is to tie up unengaged units in the fight phase with some creative charge moves. Overall, I'm not disgusted by any of the rules, which is more than I can say about the two latest army books. (there needs to be a :GW: emote)

TheChirurgeon posted:

Actually this is a neat idea--we should have posters in this thread submit photos of their armies to use as the photos for army breakdowns, if srm is OK with that

It's an excuse to post my bugs again! :)

Now with dramatic lighting:

I can try to post an army picture of my Harlequins too before the weekend.

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 8, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Soulfucker posted:

I played another test round of 8th today against AdMech this time, I think I can say that unless my understanding of how piling in works is dead wrong, Hormagaunts are terrific now because of how easy it is to tie up unengaged units in the fight phase with some creative charge moves. Overall, I'm not disgusted by any of the rules, which is more than I can say about the two latest army books. (there needs to be a :GW: emote)

On the one hand I'm not looking forward to getting repeatedly punched in the dick by horde armies, but on the other hand horde armies like this look so god damned cool.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Painting my first squad of Rubric Marines.

Whole loving lot of details on these guys, jesus christ.

Still, Thousand Sons look fun as hell to play in 8th.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Soulfucker posted:

I love the poo poo out of these

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Soulfucker posted:

Oh, gently caress yeah.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

So... many... bugs...
Hope you have a IG player in your meta to re-enact Starship troopers with

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Those are good bugs.

I guess I'd better dig my guys out and take some army shots for the new thread then, gives me something else to do this weekend :)

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I have a Tau army which is also Babbys First Army and paint job.

Edit: Now with pictures!

That's a great start and very clean. My main advice to anyone new is to paint as cleanly as you can, which you did great. You can ALWAYS go back in and wash, chalk, highlight, drybrush, whatever, but if your original paintjob looks like it was done with melted crayon, you might as well strip it and start over when you want to touch it up.

I think some weathering and edge highlights would make them stand out more, but you'll thank yourself later for doing such a crisp initial job.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

If you want any harlequin pictures for new OP, I painted these few up a while ago.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So what do you think of heavy bolter devastators in an assault cannom razorback to help me with my volume of fire issues

Some matches the devastators can probably stay in my deployment zone and I can throw a combat squad in there instead

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

BuffaloChicken posted:

- Using another Command Point to re-roll my dead Taurox into the necessary 6 for an explosion, intentionally vaporizing my own Veterans to save them from the indignity of fleeing after their inevitable Morale failure.

:madmax:

This loving rules.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

You do not get many Dark Eldar to the point nowadays, do you

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

VolatileSky posted:

That's a great start and very clean. My main advice to anyone new is to paint as cleanly as you can, which you did great. You can ALWAYS go back in and wash, chalk, highlight, drybrush, whatever, but if your original paintjob looks like it was done with melted crayon, you might as well strip it and start over when you want to touch it up.

I think some weathering and edge highlights would make them stand out more, but you'll thank yourself later for doing such a crisp initial job.

Thanks! I know I posted a painting crisis in the mini painting thread, but I'm going from Tau, to a Slaanesh army, using chosen from dark vengeance. Even though they are snap fit, they are still detailed like a bastard. I'm loving :pcgaming: painting so much pink and gold with that much detail.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

chutche2 posted:

So what do you think of heavy bolter devastators in an assault cannom razorback to help me with my volume of fire issues

Some matches the devastators can probably stay in my deployment zone and I can throw a combat squad in there instead

I think it's a great idea. I'd be using them in my upcoming list if I hadn't decided to go with tacticals. HBs are one of the few Marine weapons that didn't get a point increase rerolling right and now they can move and shoot while being effective.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Either HB or also look at missile launchers. Averages around the same number of shots, S4 still works well against most infantry, and you get an anti-tank option.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I didn't even realize that centurions can't ride in drop pods anymore, that's going to change some of my strategies.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Either HB or also look at missile launchers. Averages around the same number of shots, S4 still works well against most infantry, and you get an anti-tank option.

Yeah I'll see what my points let me do, that'd cost another 60 points. Missiles are expensive.

Right now I'm looking something like this:

Relic blade captain
Librarian terminator

Tac squad with both plasmas and a combi flamer
Tac squad with missile, gravgun, combi flamer
Half scout squad with heavy bolter

Assault squad with jump packs, 2 flamers, eviscerator sgt (not deep striking so I can use the flamers)

Vanguard with jump packs, sgt with hammer and shield, rest with various power weapons
Contemptor with multimelta
Cataphractii with heavy flamer

Predator with TL lascannons and HB sponsons
Devastators with 4 lascannons
Devastators with 4 heavy bolters
Razorback with TL lascannons
Razorback with TL assault cannons

I've got around 20 points left

8 lascannons might be overboard. I could sub in a vindicator instead of the lascannon devs, or a second predator.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 8, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'd take a picture of my bugs but my lovely broken phone camera is so bad :( I should get a new camera but miniatures pics are like the only thing I'd use it for

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Painting my first squad of Rubric Marines.

Whole loving lot of details on these guys, jesus christ.

Still, Thousand Sons look fun as hell to play in 8th.

There's a ton of details, but in a way details are a good thing. The less detail there is, the harder to paint the model well, because you gotta freehand stuff.

Those details, if you don't need them to each be their own color, just kinda help you. You can flat paint most of it, wash it, and then just add a few colors to the mix and you're done.

If you flat spray those rubrics with gold base paint, then wash them, all you have to do is paint the teal panels and you're pretty much done. Add some black and silver and some green on the guns and eyes and you're all the way home.

I love the new rubric sculpts :)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Soulfucker posted:

I am all on board for that dramatic lighting and I am also literally terrified

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Yeah I'll see what my points let me do, that'd cost another 60 points. Missiles are expensive.

Right now I'm looking something like this:

Relic blade captain
Librarian terminator

Tac squad with both plasmas and a combi flamer
Tac squad with missile, gravgun, combi flamer
Half scout squad with heavy bolter

Assault squad with jump packs, 2 flamers, eviscerator sgt (not deep striking so I can use the flamers)

Vanguard with jump packs, sgt with hammer and shield, rest with various power weapons
Contemptor with multimelta
Cataphractii with heavy flamer

Predator with TL lascannons and HB sponsons
Devastators with 4 lascannons
Devastators with 4 heavy bolters
Razorback with TL lascannons
Razorback with TL assault cannons

I've got around 20 points left

8 lascannons might be overboard. I could sub in a vindicator instead of the lascannon devs, or a second predator.

Someone played a spartan at my LGS on wednesday against a nidzilla army and 8 lascannons is extremely amusing, go for it.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Played my first proper game of 8th against a staff member at my local GW.

I took this:

Which is a 1000 point Carcharadon force I put together.

Captain in Terminator Armour with twin lightning claws
5 Cataphractii Terminators with 2 chainfists and a heavy flamer
Dreadnought with twin linked lascannon and heavy flamer
Scout Squad with sergeant with bolt pistol and chainsword, 1 shotgun, 2 bolters, heavy bolter
Tactical squad, sergeant with lightning claw, plasma gun, heavy bolter.
Tactical squad, sergeant with lightning claw, missile launcher, melta gun

Dead on 999 points.

I faced the Deathguard half of the starter plus a Contemptor with Kheres Assault Cannon.

We both made lots of mistakes. I forgot that Terminators are 2 wounds now and that my Captain isn't in Cataphractii plate and can go 5".

My opponent forgot about her Contemptor half the game as it isn't painted and is the same height as some of the Sector Mechanicus terrain we were playing on.

8th plays much quicker. My dice ran hot and cold. I used my tacticals in combat squads, and deployed the scouts in a building on the middle line. Sarah moved the Plague marines to take on the scouts, but what happened was they got bogged down firefighting with my Scouts at the top of a building in cover and one of my tactical combat squads came over and murdered them.

My terminators gunned down some of the 20 strong unit of poxwalkers, enough to make the closest unit the psyker, which I charged and murdered. I then got bogged down fighting the poxwalkers and the bell guy the entire game before losing the Terminators and my captain in the last turn mainly to the Lord of Contagion, who is a beast in close combat. However at that point the bell guy had one wound left, the Contemptor had one would left, and the only other model was the Lord of Contagion.

My tacticals had dealt with the plague marines, bloat drone, and pummeled the Contemptor. I even took a couple of wounds off it with bolters.

Conclusions? Marines are still good. I didn't take an optimised army, or I'd have taken some Devastators and Assault marines instead of the Dread. I did bleed the Deathguard at long range a little, and Deathguard are a short range firefight army. Everyone having a 5+ 'invulnerable', either through disgustingly resilient or just a save, kept the Deathguard in the game.

Sarah should have been more aggressive. She moved her Lord of Contagion around the tarpit combat to directly engage my Captain after I charged him in to slice and dice the poxwalkers. Committing him earlier would have ended the combat sooner, kept the Poxwalkers alive and freed the remaining Deathguard units up to attack the little firebase I had with the dreadnought and missile launcher combat squad. Backed by the Contemptor that could have won her the game.

8th edition is good. The differences in load out have given me a lot to think about. The Lord of Contagion is built to murder characters whereas my Terminator Captain was built to slice up 1 wound guys. I had no source of mortal wounds in my force either, which would have threatened the Contemptor and Lord of Contagion. I think something able to throw out Smite is probably invaluable. I also need to create a character for murdering other characters.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Time to be underwhelmed by my first Tyranid monster! :woop:

Gonna slap some paint on the base and stuff later. For now, I have a Toxicrene to prime up.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Time to be underwhelmed by my first Tyranid monster! :woop:

Gonna slap some paint on the base and stuff later. For now, I have a Toxicrene to prime up.

I hate the model, but this is a good paint job! Looking forward to seeing your Toxicrene

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I will never not love pictures of tyranids, keep posting cool tyranids

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I never understood why people hate that model it looks loving awesome

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Well, if we're posting pictures of our Dimachaerons...

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm very eager to see all the ForgeWorld Tyranid rules. I hope they are all viable since the sculpts are so good.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Black_Nexus posted:

I will never not love pictures of tyranids, keep posting cool tyranids

Not sure if I can compete with the cool bugs so far, but I'm working on these at the minute:

...and hoping to field some of this lot again soon:

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

xtothez posted:

Not sure if I can compete with the cool bugs so far, but I'm working on these at the minute:

...and hoping to field some of this lot again soon:

You are crazy, those are amazing. Red bugs are best bugs

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Miniwargaming posted a couple 8th Ork battle reports.

Orks are good. 30 boy foot squads especially. It's bizzaro 40k world.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Hihohe posted:

I never understood why people hate that model it looks loving awesome

Seriously--that fucker looks like aggression manifest. It's just PISSED and loves to kill. He fits with my Cult because the Uprising just discards all subtlety. I need some Carnifexes, because I got 2 more bent out of shape :( I tried bending them with heated salt, and they didn't work any better.

Arven posted:

Miniwargaming posted a couple 8th Ork battle reports.

Orks are good. 30 boy foot squads especially. It's bizzaro 40k world.

I love this so much.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Those are some clean and beautiful boys.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Now that I compare them, why am I taking devastators?

A TL assault cannon razorback is cheaper, tougher, faster, and puts out more firepower. Why bother loading one with devastators instead of taking 2?

Compared to a predator, you pay 40 extra points for a wound or two and the ability to pay more points for sponsons. The point spread between various loadouts of razorbacks, predators, and devastators seems fishy.

The base cost of 5 devastators with bolters is the same as a razorback with no guns, and they pay the same for their weapons.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
So, I had completely overlooked Monstrous Rending Claws on Hive Tyrants. The downside compared to talons is that they don't reroll 1s to hit, and they're D3 damage instead of a flat 3.

The upside is that the re-roll all attempts to wound. (That is huge against T7 or higher). And on a 6, their damage goes to 3, and their AP to -4. The biggest upside is that they're 31 points cheaper.

I don't know how I missed that before.

• Locked thread