Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
It looks like Vermont is going to legalize

http://hightimes.com/news/vermont-lawmakers-approve-measure-to-legalize-recreational-marijuana/

I don't want to sound like a broken record but good omen for New Jersey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Wouldn't Christie get a say in that?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

It looks like Vermont is going to legalize

http://hightimes.com/news/vermont-lawmakers-approve-measure-to-legalize-recreational-marijuana/

I don't want to sound like a broken record but good omen for New Jersey

What sort of statements has the governor made? There haven't been a whole lot of governors willing to sign these sorts of bills into law.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ego-bot posted:

Wouldn't Christie get a say in that?

Christie's term limited. The election for his replacement is this year

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Oh, I was thinking the decision would be sometime this year.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ego-bot posted:

Oh, I was thinking the decision would be sometime this year.

A decision could be made this year, but the legislature might punt to the next tern and next gov in 2018.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Now that NH is soon to be surrounded by rec legal states, expect that domino to fall soon too I guess.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tonton Macoute posted:

Malta is an insignificant city state in the middle of a sea, but the leaders of both political parties came out in favour of debating Canada or Portugal type of decrim yesterday. Much of it seems to be preelection posturing, but I would be cautiously optimistic.

Every time Malta is in the news it seems like it's doing something cool and progressive, so that's good I guess.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Now that NH is soon to be surrounded by rec legal states, expect that domino to fall soon too I guess.

https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/new-hampshire-on-verge-of-decriminalizing-cannabis-possession

We have a decriminalization bill that is widely expected to pass. No arrest and/or jail time for up to three-quarters of an ounce of cannabis.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Here's a run down of Cannabis legalisation stances of five of the parties standing for election in the UK today. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/legalising-cannabis-lib-dem-tory-10486459

I wouldn't get excited about the Lib Dems, they have nine seats and made no moves on legalisation when in a coalition government. The Greens are even smaller and have dropped references to legalisation in their manifesto.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Sessions is starting to warm up his War on Cannabis machine. He's asked Congress to remove protections on Medical Marijuana states so he can sic the Justice Dept. on the providers.

quote:

Jeff Sessions personally asked Congress to let him prosecute medical-marijuana providers

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is asking congressional leaders to undo federal medical-marijuana protections that have been in place since 2014, according to a May letter that became public Monday.

The protections, known as the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment, prohibit the Justice Department from using federal funds to prevent certain states "from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession or cultivation of medical marijuana."

In his letter, first obtained by Tom Angell of Massroots.com and verified independently by The Washington Post, Sessions argued that the amendment would "inhibit [the Justice Department's] authority to enforce the Controlled Substances Act."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
This makes me miserable. I use cannabis oil (CBD) for pain. It can't get you high. None of the other drugs work on me and I don't want to resort to opioids. An addiction will really make my life better! gently caress Jeff Sessions, the evil S.O.B.

Republicans: the party of State's Rights, ladies and gentlemen.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Congress has no chance of approving that. Even red states like weed now and no politician is going to jeopardize reelection over weed

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Congress has no chance of approving that. Even red states like weed now and no politician is going to jeopardize reelection over weed

Let's add it to the long list of things that will "never happen."

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Actually the way the amendment process works they can just decide not to vote on them and no more protections after September 30th.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Legal in Nevada now

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Legal and doing quite well, apparently:

quote:

Recreation sales bring record business to Las Vegas marijuana dispensaries

The first day of recreation marijuana sales in Nevada brought a spike in transactions up to five times the daily average under the previous medical-only industry, according to many local dispensary owners.

At The+Source dispensary, more than 100 customers patiently waited in 110-degree heat for their turn to make a purchase. To accommodate those waiting in the heat, Jolley opened up an unused indoor area next to his dispensary, where customers stood inside next to a misting fan and were served bottled water.

The Nevada law dictates those who made marijuana purchases had to use it at their residence. And while some surely didn’t follow the law, Metro Police as of 5 p.m. Saturday hadn’t responded to any major calls connected marijuana sales, Lt. Carlos Hank said.

quote:

First days of recreational pot sales generate $1 million in taxes

The first four days of legal recreational marijuana sales generated $3 million in sales revenue and just under $1 million in tax revenue, putting Nevada on pace to achieve an estimated $30 million in sales revenue over the next six months of recreational sales, according to the Nevada Dispensary Association.

“We had a higher demand than everybody initially thought,” dispensary association director Riana Durrett said. “It shows this market really exists.”

There was some fear that it wouldn't happen, because as a bribe (assumedly) to Big Liquor, alcohol wholesalers supposedly have exclusive distribution rights; but something or other happened and they managed to make the July 1 early start regardless. I assume the details of that will be hammered out in the coming days.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
More updates:

From fox13now

quote:

Nevada running out of weed, ‘statement of emergency’ declared

Nevada's governor has endorsed a statement of emergency declared for recreational marijuana regulations, after the state's tax authority declared that many stores are running out of weed.

The Nevada Tax Commission said in a statement it will consider emergency regulations on July 13 to provide a structure for marijuana distribution to retailers. It would allow for liquor wholesalers to get in on the marijuana business.

"Based on reports of adult-use marijuana sales already far exceeding the industry’s expectations at the state’s 47 licensed retail marijuana stores, and the reality that many stores are running out of inventory, the Department must address the lack of distributors immediately," the statement said. "Some establishments report the need for delivery within the next several days."

The distribution issue is at the center of a legal fight between the state and Nevada's liquor industry, which sued to get in on the business. Nevada currently has appealed to the state's supreme court. The tax authority claimed most liquor wholesalers who have applied to distribute marijuana have yet to meet requirements to be licensed.

The issue from before where alcohol wholesalers wanted distribution rights has now gummed up the works entirely. From what I know, stores had a fairly large cache of weed to sell, but now it's running out and they can't get more. None of the alcohol distributors have proper licenses and so no weed is moving.

Originally this was reported as a state of emergency; they had to go back and correct it as a statement. Funnier the original way, though. :v:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I too, declare an emergency when I run out of weed.

*takes victory bong rip for making most obvious joke*

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I bet people are hoarding it. When my state legalized I bought five pounds to bury in the backyard incase they decided to make it a crime again. It's like gold but weed.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I too, declare an emergency when I run out of weed.

*takes victory bong rip for making most obvious joke*

efb on the obvious joke *takes consolation bong rip*

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Nevada growers are right to be hoarding weed, because Sessions continues to assemble his War on Drugs 2.0 (Grits & Gravy Edition) Mecha to shut down this weed problem once and for all. Good article from the Times summing up the current situation:

quote:

States Keep Saying Yes to Marijuana Use. Now Comes the Federal No.

In a national vote widely viewed as a victory for conservatives, last year’s elections also yielded a win for liberals in eight states that legalized marijuana for medical or recreational use. But the growing industry is facing a federal crackdown under Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who has compared cannabis to heroin.

A task force Mr. Sessions appointed to, in part, review links between violent crimes and marijuana is scheduled to release its findings by the end of the month. But he has already asked Senate leaders to roll back rules that block the Justice Department from bypassing state laws to enforce a federal ban on medical marijuana.

[skipped a bunch of stuff, read the article for more]

A Quinnipiac University poll in February concluded that 59 percent of American voters believe cannabis should be legal. Additionally, the poll found, 71 percent say the federal government should not prosecute marijuana use in states that have legalized it.

“This is part of a larger set of issues that the country is wrestling with right now, where a very strong-willed minority is trying to impose its value system on the country as a whole,” said Roger McNamee, an industry investor.

But marijuana businesses are bracing for a possible clampdown.

“People that were sort of on the fence — a family office, a high-net-worth individual thinking of privately financing a licensed opportunity — it has swayed them to go the other way and think: not just yet,” said Randy Maslow, a founder of iAnthus Capital Holdings. The public company raises money in Canada, where Prime Minister Justin Trudeau campaigned on a promise to legalize recreational use of marijuana.

It's all going to come down to whether Senate leaders strike the rules holding him back or they don't. If they strike the rules, I guarantee you Sessions will start using the Justice Department to go after marijuana businesses in legal states. Then we'll get to see what happens when a tyrannical federal government goes up against the will of the people. (weed civil war??)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That's just going to only further piss off people that are already pissed off with Trump as president.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's amazing that they don't realize weed is popular, even among Republicans. A lot of their older constituents want it for actual medical reasons, and a much larger part just want it because it's awesome. The part of the party that would actually revolt and not vote for them anymore if they went "Hey, we're dropping the fight on weed to focus on opiates" must be vanishingly small.

It makes zero sense, it's just letting Sessions pursue his own private bugaboo issue to the detriment of their own electoral chances.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
I wonder what libertarians will do if Sessions starts arresting people working at legal weed shops. My prediction: smugly oppose it, then vote Republican.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WampaLord posted:

It's amazing that they don't realize weed is popular, even among Republicans. A lot of their older constituents want it for actual medical reasons, and a much larger part just want it because it's awesome. The part of the party that would actually revolt and not vote for them anymore if they went "Hey, we're dropping the fight on weed to focus on opiates" must be vanishingly small.

It makes zero sense, it's just letting Sessions pursue his own private bugaboo issue to the detriment of their own electoral chances.

Black people like it and it will cause white women to listen to jazz music and fall victim to miscegenation.

That's why pot was prohibited in the first place. It was used to demonize people by Nixon and further by Reagan because it's an easy way to persecute minorities with impunity. It's used in southern georgia to basically supply slave labor via maximum sentences for pot.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Black people like it and it will cause white women to listen to jazz music and fall victim to miscegenation.

That's why pot was prohibited in the first place. It was used to demonize people by Nixon and further by Reagan because it's an easy way to persecute minorities with impunity. It's used in southern georgia to basically supply slave labor via maximum sentences for pot.

No, I totally get all that but we're in 2017 and marijuana acceptance has literally never been higher (pun intended).

Like you would think a Paul Ryan type would be all over it and going "Wow, a great free market solution to raise revenue for states!" and pushing Sessions to focus on opiates, which are actually killing the party.

I guess I'm naive as hell for thinking Republicans would evolve their views on anything but this seems like such an easy obvious win-win for them. Were I a GOP consultant, this is the poo poo I would be pushing to try to attract the next generation of voters.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

It's a way to disenfranchise disproportionally Dem voters en masse.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
paul ryan has 0% influence on jeff sessions

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

StabbinHobo posted:

paul ryan has 0% influence on jeff sessions

Does the bully pulpit no longer exist? I understand no one except Trump can fire or directly influence him, but words can be said.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Libertarians are generally crashing hypocrites who hate individual liberty and love corporate liberty.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The only folks against continued drug decriminalization and legalization is only Jeff Sessions, Steve King and Chuck Grassely.

That's a overwhelming minority and prior to this ordeal Paul Ryan was even onboard with continued decriminalization.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Tab8715 posted:

The only folks against continued drug decriminalization and legalization is only Jeff Sessions, Steve King and Chuck Grassely.

That's a overwhelming minority and prior to this ordeal Paul Ryan was even onboard with continued decriminalization.

So... only the people with the power to do anything about it care about cracking down on legal cannabis? How reassuring.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WampaLord posted:

No, I totally get all that but we're in 2017 and marijuana acceptance has literally never been higher (pun intended).

Like you would think a Paul Ryan type would be all over it and going "Wow, a great free market solution to raise revenue for states!" and pushing Sessions to focus on opiates, which are actually killing the party.

I guess I'm naive as hell for thinking Republicans would evolve their views on anything but this seems like such an easy obvious win-win for them. Were I a GOP consultant, this is the poo poo I would be pushing to try to attract the next generation of voters.

Popularity of the ACA has literally never been higher too, but guess what the republicans are trying to do there too?

WampaLord posted:

Does the bully pulpit no longer exist? I understand no one except Trump can fire or directly influence him, but words can be said.

The Paul Ryan bully pulpit? That's not a thing, even if he wasn't a colossal schween who's only speaker because no one else was dumb enough yet popular enough to take the job after Boehner fled it. He simply doesn't have the gravitas.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I would agree: this is naive as hell. Culture war is culture war, and conservatives like Sessions (and the millions of people that think like him) will always battle for their "tribe". Marijuana will always be the signifier of degenerate persons like blacks, gays, and jazz musicians, and Good White Christians will fight against those kind of people forever.

This particular crowd of eager young right-wingers is in Ukraine, but those alt-righters and 3%ers you see massing in Texas and in Berkeley would happily hoist the same banner. They might even smoke weed themselves in private, but they still know marijuana is for "the other team".

Tab8715 posted:

You're wrong. 40% of America is against legal weed, and that's the opinion that Sessions cares about. Actually he doesn't really even care about them, just his own ingrained bigotry, but he'll gladly position himself as fighting for the Moral Minority.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

the black husserl posted:

Nevada growers are right to be hoarding weed, because Sessions continues to assemble his War on Drugs 2.0 (Grits & Gravy Edition) Mecha to shut down this weed problem once and for all. Good article from the Times summing up the current situation:

It's all going to come down to whether Senate leaders strike the rules holding him back or they don't. If they strike the rules, I guarantee you Sessions will start using the Justice Department to go after marijuana businesses in legal states. Then we'll get to see what happens when a tyrannical federal government goes up against the will of the people. (weed civil war??)

finally we can have a civil war that's actually about state's rights

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

BarbarianElephant posted:

So... only the people with the power to do anything about it care about cracking down on legal cannabis? How reassuring.

They're not the only people with the power, in 2015 the house voted on an amendment that would have prevented Sessions from interfering with legal recreational weed and it failed narrowly even though the Republicans had a large majority in the house. If Sessions decided to go ahead with an unpopular crackdown there would certainly be another push for a similar thing.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

BarbarianElephant posted:

the black husserl posted:

You're wrong. 40% of America is against legal weed, and that's the opinion that Sessions cares about. Actually he doesn't really even care about them, just his own ingrained bigotry, but he'll gladly position himself as fighting for the Moral Minority.

Republican leadership at a minimum is actually fine with decriminalization until Jeff Session and his authoritarian followers came and sniped the whole thing. Sure, maybe 40% of the Country is against marijuana legalization but only 3-4 congressmen are going to lengths of lock'em up and throw away the keys.

This is probably not the best analogy but Jeff seems to be a lot like Jon Bolton. At face value, he's a Republican but behind closed doors he's strongly disliked even in his own party.

The question is, will Trump and his own party put up with this sort of thing? Are we going we actually going to back to the "War on Drugs"?

We'll find out in the next few weeks.

Source - Unity Was Emerging on Sentencing. Then Came Jeff Sessions.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 17, 2017

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I suppose it depends on whether or not Rohrabacher turtles and shirks his budget amendment efforts with Blumenauer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
40% may be against adult use but only 10-20% are against medical.

Here is a good profile of arch-conservative LDS billionaire philanthropist John Huntsman Sr. coming out in favor of medical cannabis:

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2017/07/18/on-the-edge-huntsmans-stand-against-reefer-madness/#.WW4hudMrJYg