Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaddish posted:

No, it reiterates that Trump was within his authority for firing Comey, even with the Russia investigation reason - but if there was "corrupt intent" it would constitute obstruction.

which is what you've been denying and we've been explaining to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Ballz posted:

I must've blanked out during this part, because I don't remember anything about Loretta Lynch during the testimony. Or was that something that came out of McCain's muddled ramblings?

Lynch pressured him to not call the Clinton investigation an investigation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump's lawyer just said that Comey lied under oath about Trump's loyalty demands and that lying under oath is punishable by jail sentence.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

He literally said he fired Comey to end the Russia investigation on multiple occasions. That is corrupt intent and obstruction of justice. You can deny it til the cows come home, but it won't change reality.

He is doing the same thing the Republicans will do.

They'll deny intent unless someone has Trump on tap saying "I DONALD J TRUMP FIRED FBI DIRECTOR JAMES COMEY TO STOP THE RUSSIA INVESTIGATION".

Edit: At which point they'll argue that trying to stop isn't obstructing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nazzadan posted:

Trump Thread II: I accidentally teacher-student facesitting manga

trump thread II: WTF is facesitting?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm not going to call you an idiot, just ask if you were one of the goons that I drank beer and played games with at Gencon? Just recognized your name as familiar.

Yep! I'll be there again this year. Also I host game nights at my house with a couple of other goons as well. I'm in St. Pete

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

FateFree posted:

If Comey was so nervous about these conversations I wonder why he never secretly recorded them. Is that a crime?

It would be nominally legal in the District of Columbia to record someone without them knowing, but successfully doing it in the White House would be very difficult and failure would invite all sorts of potential problems.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
One of the old men in the room with me just said "This is a nothingburger."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/MatthewNussbaum/status/872881326415896576

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

trump's lawyer claimed comey lied about when he leaked the memos to the nyt and the nyt quoted them before the tweet

of course that's not the case

https://twitter.com/juliehdavis/status/872880038202486792

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

SubponticatePoster posted:

Pretty sure Trump doesn't gaf about being under oath. Liars gonna lie.

The beauty is he never keeps his lies straight, so watching him bounce around and contradict himself is the payoff.

I'm wondering if the reason this announcement is taking so long is because his lawyer is trying to figure out a defense, or if he's waiting for a manilla envelope to Bud Dwyer himself

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

evilweasel posted:

which is what you've been denying and we've been explaining to you

Dude, I'm not "denying" anything. Do you guys not think I would be gleeful as hell to see Trump go down for literally any reason? Of course I would. But so far no one has shown definitive proof that Trump fired Comey specifically to end the investigation.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

This is why you don't get a non-DC attorney for an issue like this. If this is how Trump's personal defense will look he is more than turbo-hosed.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump's lawyer just said that Comey lied under oath about Trump's loyalty demands and that lying under oath is punishable by jail sentence.

Please let this end by Trump having to go under oath because it's a he-said/he-said, Please let this end by Trump having to go under oath because it's a he-said/he-said, Please let this end by Trump having to go under oath because it's a he-said/he-said ...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ah, going to try and paint Comey as a traitor. Certainly will work with the base.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

that lawyer letter seems weirdly unprofessional and skittish right? or is that just me

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Retro42 posted:

This is why you don't get a non-DC attorney for an issue like this. If this is how Trump's personal defense will look he is more than turbo-hosed.

All the good lawyers didn't want to represent him because they knew he wouldn't pay them and they would look like shitheads for trying to defend him so they would miss out on other work lmao

Edit: oh yeah and he wouldn't listen to them anyway

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Trump's lawyer is coming across as an idiot right now.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kaddish posted:

Dude, I'm not "denying" anything. Do you guys not think I would be gleeful as hell to see Trump go down for literally any reason? Of course I would. But so far no one has shown definitive proof that Trump fired Comey specifically to end the investigation.

Just stop.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

These were private conversations between Trump and Comey, of course Trump's strategy is just going to be "nope never said that." And it'd stand. Unless it contradicts one of his many tweets, of course.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Waffles Inc. posted:

that lawyer letter seems weirdly unprofessional and skittish right? or is that just me

He's probably been rushed.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Kaddish posted:

No, it reiterates that Trump was within his authority for firing Comey, even with the Russia investigation reason - but if there was "corrupt intent" it would constitute obstruction. He came really loving close to admitting this in the Holt interview, based on what someone posted above, and if he admitted this to the Russians in their meeting in the WH I haven't seen it.

Yes, a leak. Maybe Mueller can actually get it.

This is real close to the 'but he never said explicitly that he was firing Comey to end the investigation" defense.

This may surprise you but corruption in law and government usually falls under a veil of subtlety. Our entire justice system exists, particularly in these cases, to divine truth from falsehood. A competent President could have fired Comey for an apparently real grievance instead of one he brought back to life as a zombie from four months prior (emails) and would have never, ever mentioned the words 'Russia' and 'Comey' in the same sentence - and it could have still warranted obstruction charges. Why? Because it turns out that when people break procedural laws they do their best to wiggle out on technicalities.

You see this a lot in courtrooms around issues of Intellectual Property, where somebody gets nailed for ripping off somebody else's art or design. And it always comes to, 'Well, technically, it's different because-' and let me tell you judges hate that poo poo. Intent is hard to prove but it's a hell of a lot more broad than saying poo poo outright. Trump has done more to reveal his intent in this case than any sane criminal ever would have.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

evilweasel posted:

trump's lawyer claimed comey lied about when he leaked the memos to the nyt and the nyt quoted them before the tweet

of course that's not the case

https://twitter.com/juliehdavis/status/872880038202486792

I wonder if the Bar is willing to have a word with him for ethics concerns.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Kaddish posted:

No, it reiterates that Trump was within his authority for firing Comey, even with the Russia investigation reason - but if there was "corrupt intent" it would constitute obstruction. He came really loving close to admitting this in the Holt interview, based on what someone posted above, and if he admitted this to the Russians in their meeting in the WH I haven't seen it.

People are literally telling you he can have the authority to do something but have it still be illegal. That is what the article says.

At all times Trump has said that his problem with the investigation is the existence of it. To Comey, to Holt, to the Russians. Comey testified today that he never showed any interest in empowering the investigation, only ending it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Waffles Inc. posted:

Remember whose lawyer it is

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaddish posted:

Kaddish posted:

There is nothing legally wrong with firing Comey because of the Russian investigation.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I remember the thread flipping the gently caress out when the russia transcript was leaked. After the Holt interview, we were all like "gosh, that sure sounds like obstruction but..... eh, he could probably claim that his language was clumsy, drat it."

Then the transcript was leaked and the reaction on this dead comedy forum was basically "holy poo poo! He admitted it! We got there, guys!"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Vegetable posted:

These were private conversations between Trump and Comey, of course Trump's strategy is just going to be "nope never said that." And it'd stand. Unless it contradicts one of his many tweets, of course.
The best part is that yesterday (?, gently caress timeline moves fast) ol' Spicy said that tweets are official announcements.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

androo posted:

Why would you even watch hentai if you have epilepsy?

Maybe he's blind? After all Hentai seems to be written for the blind considering nobody ever shuts up with their internal monologues while they're getting hosed.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You see, nothing matters. And I'll believe that things matter when something that happens matters. But nothing matters.

Checkmate, neolibs :shepicide:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

Remember whose lawyer it is

It is not impossible that Trump wrote the letter himself under a pseudonym.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

I wonder if the Bar is willing to have a word with him for ethics concerns.

I wouldn't open an ethics investigation into him for that: it's almost certainly a fuckup not intentional deception. There's no benefit to a lie that will be immediately disproven, he probably thought he had a gotcha and hosed up.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So uh...the official word from the White House is that Trump doesn't lie...?

No reporter had anything to say about that?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Lemming posted:

All the good lawyers didn't want to represent him because they knew he wouldn't pay them and they would look like shitheads for trying to defend him so they would miss out on other work lmao

Edit: oh yeah and he wouldn't listen to them anyway

It's not even that. He approached some of the big firms in DC and they rightfully laughed in his face. What he SHOULD have done after that was seek out someone well versed in this kind of case instead of grabbing his "loyal" personal attorney.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DarkCrawler posted:

They're still laughing too hard to tweet

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

DarkCrawler posted:

It didn't get challenged at the time either, so it's now a matter of record that Trump is a lying liar who lies.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Kaddish posted:

Trump to Comey in dinner meeting: "I want your lotalty, end the investigation"

Trump to Comey, in oval office meeting: "End the investigation"

Trump to Lester Holt, after firing Comey: "And in fact when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said 'you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story, it's an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have won'."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It is not impossible that Trump wrote the letter himself under a pseudonym.

So Kasowitz is Trump's Leonard J Crabs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

You are being purposefully obtuse?

Both things you quoted are factual statements.

• Locked thread