Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Luhood posted:

Incidentally, what would have been the effects of acknowledging his authority? I mean with the choice already made it shouldn't be any danger in revealing it to us, no?

We'd lose a fair bit of gold, but get a significant relations boost with the Caliph, along with modifiers reducing our yearly prestige but boosting tolerance of the true faith and dip rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It'll be the Western Med vs the Eastern Med for March of the Eagles

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Painting of the Session of 1555

I love it.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Question; are we currently considered a great power? If so we have some fun diplomatic actions we could be using.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Nine of Eight posted:

Question; are we currently considered a great power? If so we have some fun diplomatic actions we could be using.

Yep, our development and the fact that we spawned Colonialism means we've been up there for a while now. Age of Discovery is over though, and Printing Press is about to spawn, so things could change.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Soup du Jour posted:

Bringing back my proposal from last time, mandating at least one Weapons Manufactory built, with more as money permits. This should be a period of consolidation, and increasing our cash flow and showing off our infrastructure is an excellent way to do so. Plus, it gets us ahead of the game for manufactories.

I support this. Now is the time to invest for future Jizrunid glory!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I can't believe that we decided to go to war with France (again) after denying ourselves the alliance with Morocco and flinging an insult back at those traitors for good measure. What a total waste. I didn't even want colonies at first, but now I am annoyed that we do not have total control over the Caribbean. Borders!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Agreed. gently caress anyone that competes with us in the New World.

Alikchi posted:

I support this. Now is the time to invest for future Jizrunid glory!

The session ended yesterday, my dude.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Snipee posted:

I can't believe that we decided to go to war with France (again) after denying ourselves the alliance with Morocco and flinging an insult back at those traitors for good measure. What a total waste. I didn't even want colonies at first, but now I am annoyed that we do not have total control over the Caribbean. Borders!

Seriously, the Christians have a bunch of AE with us, and Morocco comparatively has none. We and Tunis could eat them up.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
whoops session ended, ignore cause I'm a dummy. Was gonna vote for the policy which passed, anyway.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Chapter 9 – The Last of the Brother-Kings – 1555 to 1568

Under the leadership of Sultan Abdul-Hasan, the New Mubazirun had stormed across Iberia and France with ease, crushing enemy armies and sacking cities from Burgos to Paris. He had forced the Castilians to cede vast tracts of land, humiliating both them and the French, who paid tribute and reparations to the Sultan in Qadis.

But upon his return to Al Andalus, Abdul-Hasan did not find cheering and adoring crowds waiting for him, he did not find the fame and glory that had met earlier conquerors, and he certainly did not find praise or poetry for his accomplishments.

Instead, the long campaign had only led to a rise of unrest in Andalusia, and a series of clashes between Muslim and Christian led to the outbreak of a large rebellion in Burgos just weeks after the war ended.

And it didn’t end there, because this was followed with another revolt in Saraqusta (Zaragoza), this one made up chiefly of Christian Aragonese separatists.

These rebellions posed a very serious risk to Abdul-Hasan, especially since the Mubazirun was exhausted and weakened after the decade-long war with France, and wouldn't be able quash the revolts without help. As a result, the Sultan was forced to dilute its ranks with mercenaries just to match the rebel numbers, shaking the very foundation of the army, which was built on loyalty to the Sultan above all else.

With almost 20,000 European mercenaries marching in line with them, the Mubazirun rushed northward to engage the rebels in Burgos, crushing their resistance after a short battle just outside the city’s walls.

They then turned eastward and did the same to the rebels in Saraqusta, destroying their army even before they managed to capture the city.

Unfortunately, that would not be the end of Abdul-Hasan’s woes. The Sultan had scarcely returned to Tulaytullah before news arrived of tensions in Asturias, a region populated chiefly by Leónese.

Apparently, the Christian lords ruling in the northern mountains were unhappy with conversion efforts discreetly undertaken in their cities, and demanded equal rights to the Castilians and Portuguese, even going so far as to withhold taxes as a threat.

Abdul-Hasan was an ally to the Ulema, however, and ultimately refused to see them humiliated. After their demands were refused, the magnates managed to spark another revolt against Andalusi rule, with thousands of Leónese peasants arming themselves with chipped scythes and battered swords before marching south.

Needless to say, this didn’t end well for the peasants, who were slaughtered to a man in the ensuing battle. The magnates of León quickly surrendered as the Mubazirun approached their city, begging for mercy and leniency, which Abdul-Hasan granted.

With the rebellions finally crushed, the Mubazirun made their way southward once more. Rather than head towards ruinous Qadis, however, they halted at Tulaytullah instead, at the command of Sultan Abdul-Hasan.

Qadis, to put it lightly, was not in good condition. The sack had seen thousands of innocents slaughtered, it had left half the populace homeless and starving, its markets and bazaars pillaged and plundered, with the richest merchants and businessmen having long fled the city. So the Sultan decided to rule from Tulaytullah for a few years, called Toledo by the Christians, whilst the actual capital was reconstructed.

Tulaytullah had risen to become the cultural capital of Andalusia over the past century, but it was nowhere near the largest or richest city in Iberia, that award still goes to Qadis. Despite its sack, it was still by far the most populous city in Iberia, and would long remain the centre of trade and business on the peninsula.

Abdul-Hasan thus began efforts to rebuild the southern capital, using the tribute exacted from the French to fund the construction of new houses, to open up new stalls and shops, to rebuild the dockyards and so on.

In fact, it is exactly because of these dockyards that the League of Merchants was the only faction to keep their base of operations in Qadis. With the Andalusi Navy destroyed in the French war, they began the reconstruction of the trade and war fleets, though it would take a very long time to bring them back up to pre-war strength.

The New Taifas, on the other hand, were all too happy to rule from Tulaytullah, funding the establishment of the very first manufactory in Andalusia not far from the city. At the behest of the Sultan, the manufactory was designed and constructed to produce all manner of weapons, from muskets to cannons, so he would no longer be forced to rely on foreign weaponry.

They also funded the construction of several new barracks and regimental camps scattered throughout Iberia, both of which were very much needed. With the manpower pool barren and the mercenary corps disbanded, the New Mubazirun was in dire need of fresh recruits to fill out their ranks, though this too would take time to accomplish.

The reconstruction fever was suddenly cut short by the arrival of envoys late in 1560, however. Carrying the will of the King of Aragon, the envoys announced that the alliance binding Aragon and Andalusia was now void, with the King claiming that he had not received his promised lands after the war against Castille and France.

And that wasn’t the only development in the north, because word of a pact between France and Castille arrived a few days later. Apparently, King Gundemaro agreed to convert to Protestantism in return for France’s protection against Andalusia, becoming a vassal to Paris in all but name - a direct violation of the peace treaty between Al Andalus and France.

The French didn’t meddle much more in Iberian affairs, however, not with their own population still unruly and agitated. In an attempt to coerce them into converting to his new faith, the French King Adhémar authorised the use of a printing press to mass-produce the Holy Bible, making the written word of God available to all for the first time in history.

As Protestant nations grew closer together, the Catholic kingdoms did the exact opposite, with the third of the Provencal-Italian Wars breaking out early in 1564.

Emperor Friedrich of Bavaria once again honoured his alliance with the Merchant Republic, joining them in their war against Italy. Not a particularly smart move, considering half of his empire was on the verge of rebellion.

Led by France, the Evangelical Union comprised of some of the strongest powers in Europe, including the Netherlands and Italy. Even the Mongol Emirate of Bogorji had pledged themselves to the Union, probably to counter Smolensk and Novgorod, both of whom joined the Catholic League despite being Orthodox nations.

The Majlis had not involved themselves in the oncoming wars of religion, however, not yet. Instead, they were more focused on the development of Al Andalus itself. News from Juzur al-Qarbiya arrived in Tulaytullah late in 1466, where another settlement had grown to become a full-fledged colony.

The western colonies were proving to be incredibly profitable, with the League of Merchants raking in dinars by the thousand as they streamed eastward. Tobacco, sugar, cotton, the western isles had everything that Iberia did not, and tariffs exacted on these riches filled the coffers to the overflowing.

Al Andalus was not the only power with interests in Juzur al-Qarbiya, however. The Almoravid Sultan had established his own colonies along the coasts of the larger islands, and he was quickly catching up to Jizrunid possessions.

Sultan Abdul-Hasan, however, didn’t care much for the colonial race. Back in Iberia, a young noblewoman had caught his favour, and after a short courting period she agreed to marry the sultan, despite being some fifty years his junior.

It was highly unusual for a sultan to actually get married, but Abdul-Hasan put aside his harem in favour of Fatima, who was said to be as beautiful as she was intelligent. She had the sultan running circles around her within a month of their meeting, and before long she even convinced him to give her the title of "Sultana", an honour bestowed upon very, very few.

Fatima was soon heavy with child, but the Sultan's attention was quickly forced away from his young wife. In the summer of 1567, the high-ranking muftis of the Ulema informed Abdul-Hasan that Madinat Salam, a small city populated chiefly by Leónese, was now majority-Sunni.

Good news rarely comes without bad, however, and the muftis went on to warn the sultan that the hold they once had over the Andalusi populace was now waning. Decades had passed with them holding almost no power, and thus the Ulema was smaller and weaker than ever before. They didn’t have the numbers to keep the peasantry in line, and as a result heresy was on the rise for the first time in centuries, with several cities along the eastern coast becoming majority-Shia.

Not good news, obviously, but there was little that the Sultan could do whilst the Ulema were so weak. Once again, his attention was torn away by another development, this time in the east. The self-styled Caliph Berdar had recently passed away, and with his only son determined to become his father’s equal, the Vakhtani Caliphate launched another invasion of Crusader Egypt.

The Majlis, eager for any opportunity to stymie the Armenian advance, send shiploads of gold to Alexandria, hoping mercenaries would be enough to repel the zealous soldiers of Allah.

Back in Central Europe, meanwhile, the Kingdom of Italy emerged from their war victorious. The Emperor was humiliated and forced to cede land to Hungary, whilst the Provencal Republic conceded defeat and paid tribute to King Pericles V.

This was overshadowed by a power play by France, however, with King Adhémar declaring war on the small Principality of Aragon.

Ordinarily, Sultan Abdul-Hasan would have the Majlis up in arms over this, he’d have the Mubazirun already armed and marching northward, he’d have the French destroyed on the battlefield and repelled from Iberia.

These were not ordinary times, however, and Abdul-Hasan was not himself.

Mere months after marrying Fatima in an elaborate ceremony, the Sultan fell dangerously ill with the outbreak of a disease in his royal palaces. He managed to avoid death, but at the elderly age of 73, Abdul-Hasan simply wasn’t able to fully recover. It began with him merely forgetting meeting or appointments, but this soon worsened to the point where he was no longer able to recognise his own children, and before long he was forced to abandon his duties as sultan and spend his days in bed, shivering and coughing as the sweats came and went.

Now called the "Senile Sultan" behind his back, the New Taifas were more focused on taking advantage of his incapability to actually intervene in the French-Aragonese War, skimming thousands of dinars from the royal treasury for themselves. Even Abdul-Hasan’s wife, Fatima, used her influence to build herself massive palaces in her home city, refusing to even visit her feeble, decrepit husband.

As a result, King Adhémar was able to roll across Aragon with almost no opposition. And after he had the entirety of the principality under his firm grip, he forced the Aragonese Prince to surrender land to both France and Castille, along with tribute and war reparations.

Back in Tulaytullah, meanwhile, the Sultan’s condition grew worse by the day. He was constantly sick now, drifting closer to death as his eyes grew dimmer, his skin grew papery and his heart beat slower. Eventually, as the summer of 1568 approached, Abdul-Hasan finally left this world whilst in his sleep.

He was to be succeeded by his eldest son and hand-picked heir, the young prince Ali. Just hours after Abdul-Hasan’s death, however, a power struggle erupted in the halls of the royal palace, with clashes breaking out just outside the doors of the dead sultan's rooms...

In what would later be called the Night of Blood, armed men managed to break into Ali’s room and slit his throat whilst he slept. Aided by soldiers of the New Mubazirun, the next few hours flew past as dozens of Abdul-Hasan’s sons were slaughtered wherever they could be found. Some were killed in their rooms whilst they slept, other while they were busy in their harem, and others still cut down as they ran.

Only one was still breathing when the morning came, still fast asleep in his bed. Husayn Jizrunid, fathered by Abdul-Hasan to none other than the former Sultana Fatima...

As morning broke and the news of Abdul-Hasan's death began to spread, Husayn quickly summoned the Majlis to swear fealty to him in Tulaytullah, which he proclaims to be the new official capital of Al Andalus. With the vast majority of Abdul-Hasan’s sons dead, the Majlis have no choice but to acquiesce, and the newly-crowned Sultan Husayn prepares to address them in his first assembly, closely followed by his mother.

World political map:

Religion map:

Great powers of 1568:

hashashash fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 25, 2018

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

This is an absurdity! An outrage! The House of Jizrunid is destroyed, and now that woman her bastard think to rule over us? They think they can subjugate glorious Qadis to that citadel of sin they call a city, backed by their traitor legions?! Never! It cannot and will not stand, every true son and daughter of Al-Andalus will fight to the end to make sure of it!

Death to traitor Sultana, death to Husayn the False, and death to anyone that supports them!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Fifth Meeting of the Majlis

: Welcome one and all to the newly-built Assembly of the Majlis, specially constructed by my father for the sole purpose of continuing our time-honoured traditions. I understand that there has recently been many a rumour flying through the country, most pertaining to the events of the past week.

: To that, my good councilors and viziers, I say have no worries. You have sworn me you undying loyalty as your new Sultan, and so any and all pretenders to my rule will be hunted down and executed, as befit traitors to the crown.

: …

: With that out the way, perhaps we can continue with the assembly. With the death of my honourable father, the time has come to advise me on the course I ought to take as we guide Al Andalus into her glorious future.

: There are many problems waiting to be tackled, however. There are powerful enemies to the north, constantly encroaching on our borders. There has been a rise in heresy in several prominent cities, posing a legitimate risk to the unity of our faith. And as many here know, the Almoravid Sultan is rivaling our possessions in Gharbia, seeking to gain control of the riches of the New World.

: Needless to say, this assembly will be very important. As any good Sultan, I shall remain impartial whilst you all realign yourselves, but I have full faith that you will… remain faithful to the Sultan and the Sultanate, above all else.

---

Okay, so it’s time for factions to be realigned:

The New Taifas

Made up of the nobility of the realm, the Taifas advocate for:
- Expansion of the standing army, rather than the navy.
- Rapid territorial expansion, especially on the Iberian Peninsula.
- Constructing Army and Defense buildings.

Effects: Bonus to army morale, larger army force limit, significantly smaller naval force limit, greater AE impact.

The Ulama

Representing the clergy in the Majlis, the Ulama advocate for:
- Religious conversion of non-Muslim provinces.
- A focus on increasing development within Al Andalus.
- Avoiding war with same-religion countries, and aiding them against Christian powers.
- Constructing Taxation and Production buildings.

Effects: Higher missionary strength, cheaper buildings, more tolerance of the true faith, less tolerance of heathens.

The League of Merchants

The increasingly powerful League of Merchants advocate for:
- A focus on trade and maximising income above all else.
- Avoiding costly wars.
- Constructing larger navies, both trade fleets and war navies.
- Exploration and overseas expansion.
- Constructing Trade and Navy buildings.

Effects: Bonus to naval force limit, boost to trade power, significantly smaller army force limit.

The Jizrunid Loyalists

Introduced by Sultan Hakam and consisting of distant Jizrunid cousins, close family friends and petty nobles, the Jizrunid Loyalists advocate for one thing:
- The Sultan be given greater powers in lieu of the Majlis.

Effects: depend on the Sultan at hand.

---

State of Affairs

Government: Reformed Taifa System (power split between the Sultan and Majlis)
Ruling Faction: n/a
Permitted Factions: The New Taifas, the Ulema, the League of Merchants, the Jizrunid Loyalists
Rivals: France, Italy
Alliances: Tunis, Palermo.
Subjects: none
Other Pacts: none
Diplomatic slots: 2/5
Treasury: 200 gold
Current net income: 15 gold/month
---

Icon links:

code:

New Taifas: [img]https://lpix.org/2786920/Taifas.png[/img]

Ulama: [img]https://lpix.org/2786921/Ulama.png[/img]

League of Merchants: [img]https://lpix.org/2786922/Merchants.png[/img]

Jizrunid Loyalists: [img]https://lpix.org/2813544/Loyalists.png[/img]

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edit: Switching to the Loyalists, the Taifas have gone insane.

Also, can we get a religion map of Europe?

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 8, 2017

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

My fellow Maijlis, we have seen our great country stymied time and time again by the lack of faith we have shown to the lord and our peoples. I believe it is time for us to unite under one faith, and truly lay the foundation for a state that will last the test of time.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

You are illegitimate and and traitor, along with your thrice-accursed mother. The Majlis cannot be realigned because you have no authority to call it! We of the New Taifas demand that surrender all power to us immediately, so that a real Sultan can be crowned!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Merchants, encouraged that new Sultan gives a poo poo about new world, don't even care where he came from, why he's Sultan, whatever.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Switching to the Merchants. It's high time we set out to colonize a bit more of the New World than just these islands, rich as they are.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

RZApublican posted:

Also, can we get a religion map of Europe?

Here you go:

Also, these are the great powers of 1568:

We're up there, but our lead is quickly slipping thanks to the fact that Printing Press spawned in France.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
What does our religous unity look like at this point? Between the Christian provinces and the new Shia ones, I'm guessing not good.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Once again the Taifas prove their greed and corruption is more important than the sake of the country. They have no one to blame but themselves for this Night of Blood. The League of Merchants will lead our country to prosperity and stability once again.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

At least the printing press spawned in Nevarra so we won't have too much trouble getting it.

Also, switch to the Merchants.
Let's kick the colonial machine back into overdrive. Preferably in a way that involves stealing all of Morocco's.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Can Merchants advocate for a colonial war if in power or is that a New Taifa thing.

Becoming displeased with how big the Almoravids are getting in OUR Carribean :negative:

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Switching to Loyalists. I would rather not have my head stricken off.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I'm sticking with my faction. We are at the mouth of a grand river of poo poo and need to get stable quickly if we're going to push our borders out and maintain them. This is no time to squabble over legitimacy.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

I always liked Fatima. And keeping blood from streaming out of my throat.

MuteAllison
Nov 16, 2013

Hashim posted:

Here you go:

Wait, is that Vajrayana Buddhism that's there to the far east? God, this timeline's Buddhism is going to be so theologically messy.

(Also I see that Japan still hasn't conquered Ryukyu- such a strong nation! A bastion of freedom!)

As for the vote, I'll go with the Ulama :

Between the heresy and the murdering of a sultan, it's clear that this nation has forsaken Allah in its pursuit of conquest and profit! We must return to the one true faith if we ever hope to succeed!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Switching to Ulama. This heretical sultana and her devil child are the reason our glorious kingdom is in turmoil. We must reunite with the rest of the Muslim world so they can drive this cancer from our land.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Staying with the League of Merchants. Can we start a colonial war or something?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I also just paid my faction dues and can't get a refund. :smith:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Loyalists

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Captain Oblivious posted:

Can Merchants advocate for a colonial war if in power or is that a New Taifa thing.

Talas posted:

Staying with the League of Merchants. Can we start a colonial war or something?

The Merchants, if they gain power, are able to declare a war for Moroccan colonies. Not sure if it's the best thing to do in our current situation, though, at least not when the vast majority of the new world is still free for colonisation.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hashim posted:

The Merchants, if they gain power, are able to declare a war for Moroccan colonies. Not sure if it's the best thing to do in our current situation, though, at least not when the vast majority of the new world is still free for colonisation.

A fair point. It might be worth refocusing on South America.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nah, after we lock down the Carribean then we need to keep heading west into Central America. Alternatively, start working our way to Asia to get in on the spice trade.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Switching to Ulama. This heretical sultana and her devil child are the reason our glorious kingdom is in turmoil. We must reunite with the rest of the Muslim world so they can drive this cancer from our land.

This. I'm switching back to the Ulama. I am disgusted with the decision by the previous Sultan to support the Christians against our fellow Muslims in the Middle East, and I am disappointed that the New Taifas turned out to be such pathetic warriors that we still haven't taken over the rest of Iberia. At the very least, I would have liked for the supposedly militarist Taifas to kick Morocco in the teeth for taking our Caribbean possessions. We instead have a rampant problem with Christian rebels and even Shia converts within our borders. How did our great country fall so far?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

You are illegitimate and and traitor, along with your thrice-accursed mother. The Majlis cannot be realigned because you have no authority to call it! We of the New Taifas demand that surrender all power to us immediately, so that a real Sultan can be crowned!

These words are naught but the truth!
(Switching from Loyalist to New Taifa)

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Agreed! This so called "Sultan" needs to be torn down from his throne, his mother thrown to the French, and the New Mubazirun castrated and sent to force-labour on the plantations in al-Qarbiya!

-----

And with that roleplaying out of the way, what faction needs to be in power for us to select Humanist ideas? With all of this nonsense about heathens and heretics within our borders we really need some way to erect a proper Dhimmi system to ensure they won't try to stab us the moment we look the other way.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 8, 2017

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I dont care whose face is pressed on the coin's surface as long as coin itself is still gold. Merchants now and forever!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
We need Muslim Texas. I almost want to join the Merchants just to try to make that happen, but those people you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I hope the current sultan has an heir lined up because if he's removed without one you guys are really not gonna like going through a regency council in our current situation.