Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know if this Sign o The Times blu-ray is any good? I can't seem to find much about it online except one person on the blu-ray.com forums saying they "heard it was questionable".

It's good. BD25. I think alot of people were disappointed that it didn't look like a modern release but it's a 80s concert film shot on a soundstage in very low light most of the time so it's going to be grainy. It also doesn't help that U Got The Look is a video sourced music video.

The sound is great (only slightly annoying thing is that during Housequake? there's a very dubbed moment where Kat yells 'gently caress off' that I guess was in the original movie)

I'd say it's worth $20 if you're a Prince fan. It's a really fun show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's good. BD25. I think alot of people were disappointed that it didn't look like a modern release but it's a 80s concert film shot on a soundstage in very low light most of the time so it's going to be grainy. It also doesn't help that U Got The Look is a video sourced music video.

The sound is great (only slightly annoying thing is that during Housequake? there's a very dubbed moment where Kat yells 'gently caress off' that I guess was in the original movie)

I'd say it's worth $20 if you're a Prince fan. It's a really fun show.

Thank you so much. I actually really want to see this movie and a theater in my area screened it twice (in 35mm!) and I missed it both times.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$12.68 - Fargo (Steelbook from Shout Factory - preorder) https://www.amazon.com/Fargo-Blu-ra...4c04fd736e6fe96

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber is releasing the first season of the original The Outer Limits before the end of the year.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Has there been any recent discussion on The Abyss? I know Cameron had talked about supervising the process and then nada. I've never seen The Abyss and want to do it right.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think Cameron is focused on the T2 remaster in 3D at the moment along with filming as many Avatar sequels as possible. Most of Cameron's back catalog is really mishandled on Blu-ray. Like where the hell is True Lies?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Terminator, Aliens, Titanic, and Avatar all have definitive Blu-Rays. The Abyss had a fantastic DVD, though with an obsolete transfer and Terminator 2 had one of the best DVDs ever released.

Really only True Lies has gotten overlooked other than much-needed remasters for T2 and The Abyss.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I want True Lies so god drat bad. It's peak Arnold/Cameron/Paxton/Curtis... Hell, even peak Tom Arnold. Such a fun movie.

Freaks & Geeks on Blu is cheaper than I've ever seen it now at $37. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0185X2CWC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1GY46ONVXAAP9&colid=1XWL3C8FJ49UK I'm on the fence about grabbing it or waiting some more. The DVD is ok and it's still streaming in HD so I keep waiting.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Did North America ever even get an anamorphic DVD of True Lies?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

LloydDobler posted:

I want True Lies so god drat bad. It's peak Arnold/Cameron/Paxton/Curtis... Hell, even peak Tom Arnold. Such a fun movie.

Freaks & Geeks on Blu is cheaper than I've ever seen it now at $37. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0185X2CWC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1GY46ONVXAAP9&colid=1XWL3C8FJ49UK I'm on the fence about grabbing it or waiting some more. The DVD is ok and it's still streaming in HD so I keep waiting.

Freaks and Geeks is always worth money to upgrade and then force loan to people who may or may not watch it.

It's amazing True Lies hasn't been released on bluray. I've also never seen the Abyss because I tried Netflixing the DVD a few times and it was 4:3, and I've tried streaming it and it was either 4:3 or terrible quality. How do I see this in not terrible quality?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Asnorban posted:

Freaks and Geeks is always worth money to upgrade and then force loan to people who may or may not watch it.

It's amazing True Lies hasn't been released on bluray. I've also never seen the Abyss because I tried Netflixing the DVD a few times and it was 4:3, and I've tried streaming it and it was either 4:3 or terrible quality. How do I see this in not terrible quality?
The special edition DVD is definitely available in widescreen, although apparently it's not anamorphic so I'm not sure you can see it in non-terrible-quality. I also seem to remember that the restored alternate ending has some questionable CG effects that probably look even more terrible today. I wonder if that's part of the reason for a delay.

It could probably use a recut as well. Cameron is on record saying that the movie improved after cutting it down to the theatrical length, although the ending clearly suffers because it just kind of abruptly ends without much resolution. It's been over a decade since I've watched the SE cut but I remember it feeling too long and the alternate ending wasn't terribly satisfying for the opposite reason - extremely heavy-handed and way too long. It turned into an extremely dumbed-down underwater 2001.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, both True Lies and The Abyss were restored/remastered by Reliance Mediaworks, so it's just a matter of time. Same guys who did The Terminator, Aliens, Titanic, and post-processing on Avatar.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Im pretty sure The Abyss remaster has been spotted running on some premium cable network. It just needs to be put to disc

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I don't know if it's a new transfer but True Lies has been running on Starz in HD.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

I don't know if it's a new transfer but True Lies has been running on Starz in HD.

Yea, I've seen that one and it looks good. Although it's in 16x9 rather than 2.35:1

napster of meat
Nov 12, 2000

Scream Factory 50% off sale going on now through the 19th. Excludes pre-orders.

https://cart.shoutfactory.com/landing/scream?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=boosted%20post&utm_campaign=ScreamFactorySale5year

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, was really hoping it would've included more of the Shout Select titles. Still, I've been meaning to rebuy Ravenous (loaned out my DVD ages ago, never got it back) and Halloween 3. Good looking out.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Nice, I ended up buying a lot of the ones I was on the lookout for plus I ended up buying Pumpkinhead 2 despite never intending to buy it at all because my professor shot it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$4 but an add-on item - Apocalyspe Now (+ Redux) https://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-N...b5381a1adde55a3
$4 but an add-on item - The Hurt Locker https://www.amazon.com/The-Hurt-Loc...fefc999694cb049
$4 but an add-on item - The Terminator (+ UV) https://www.amazon.com/The-Terminat...232dbf04aeec8fb

$9.75 - Mad Max: Fury Road/Black & Chrome https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Max-Fury...bf6e4d15e26b68c

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

$4 but an add-on item - Apocalyspe Now (+ Redux) https://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-N...b5381a1adde55a3

I also saw this for 5 bucks at Target the other day. Woulda bought it if it had the documentary.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mad max Anthology, 24 bucks, 19 copies left

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011BRT5FQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1497601547

UK region movie will play on your US player, but documentary wont. Also maybe inferior audio

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Trump posted:

Im pretty sure The Abyss remaster has been spotted running on some premium cable network. It just needs to be put to disc

Indeed. I've seen it and it looks great (apart from a few compression problems, but they wouldn't be an issue on BD).

Here's a couple of caps to give you an idea:
edit: DOH! I can't post links.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive just announced Batman: Mask of the Phantasm for July.

It'll have both 1.78:1 and 1.37:1 versions, plus the trailer. Newly remastered.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

loving finally!

Wait, is Warner Archive that club?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

loving finally!

Wait, is Warner Archive that club?

You have to buy either on WBShop.com or on Amazon. Also, they're pressed discs and almost always maxed out fresh transfers.

Also, here's September Twilight Time:

September
Hour of the Gun
Beneath the 12 Mile Reef
Gun Fury (3-D)
Lawman

And full specs for Kino Lorber's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: 50th Anniversary Edition (August 15):

Disc 1:
- 4K transfer of the Original U.S. Theatrical Cut Available for the first time in HD
- New Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
- Trailers From Hell with Ernest Dickerson
- Newly Restored 2.0 Mono Audio
- Alternate Scene: The Optical Flip
- Deleted Scene 1: Skeletons in the Desert
- Deleted Scene 2: Extended Torture Scene
- GBU on the: animated behind-the-scenes image gallery
- Promoting GBU: Posters & Lobby Cards animated image gallery
- Sergio Leone Westerns: Original Theatrical Trailers
- Italian Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
- English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Audio
- Reversible Art

Disc 2:
- 4K transfer of the Extended Cut
- Newly Restored 2.0 Mono Audio
- Audio Commentary by Film Historian Richard Schickel
- Audio Commentary By Noted Cultural Historian Sir Christopher Frayling
- Leone's West: Making Of Documentary (19:55)
- Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone and GBU Featurette Part 1 (7:48)
- Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone and GBU Featurette Part 2 (12:26)
- The Leone Style: On Sergio Leone Featurette (23:48)
- The Man Who Lost The Civil War: Civil War Documentary (14:24)
- Reconstruction GBU (11:09)
- Deleted Scene 1: Extended Tuco Torture scene (7:15)
- Deleted Scene 2: The Socorro Sequence - A Reconstruction (3:02)
- Vignette 1: Uno, Due, Tre (0:40)
- Vignette 2: Italian Lunch (0:43)
- Vignette 3: New York Accent (0:09)
- Vignette 4: Gun in Holster (0:58)
- Original U.S. Theatrical Trailer
- Original French Theatrical Trailer
- English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Audio
- Italian Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono

(They did confirm A Fistful of Dollars is coming later this year and For a Few Dollars More next year, both from new 4K restorations)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

My nipples are so hard right now. I hope this opens the door for them also giving the show a blu-ray treatment.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
I want to buy the Twin Peaks set but is there a way to make sure that I get the custom packaging instead of the plastic case in a cardboard sleeve? There are differently prized but similarly looking boxes on amazon.co.uk and I can't make out a difference.

[edit] Ah, it looks like I have to get the Paramount release instead of the Universal one.

GoldenGun fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 21, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino's Pioneers of African-American Cinema set is down to only $43.87 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneers-Afr...american+cinema

I went ahead and finally picked it up. This ought to be a blast to go through.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino's Pioneers of African-American Cinema set is down to only $43.87 on Amazon:

Please post your review here later, this is interesting

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

Disc 1:
- 4K transfer of the Original U.S. Theatrical Cut Available for the first time in HD

Well I'm hard as gently caress right now

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Please post your review here later, this is interesting

It's supposed to deliver on Monday, so I'll probably go through it next weekend. I'm going through Flicker Alley's Early Women Filmmakers set this week. Planning to watch at least the first disc tomorrow (11 hours of content total across three discs).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I believe this is also streaming on Netflix, or was. I watched a few of them on Netflix. Definitely worth checking out.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blade Runner: The Final Cut UHD coming on Sept. 5:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=21585

It won't include the other four versions of the film, but all the other extras will be included. Also, the sound was remixed to Dolby Atmos.

This will actually be a true 4K release since The Final Cut was scanned at 6K (35mm) and 8K (65mm), with the final master being 4K.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aw yiss, that's a nice release. Hoped they would do this to tie in with the sequel.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Egbert Souse posted:

Blade Runner: The Final Cut UHD coming on Sept. 5:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=21585

It won't include the other four versions of the film, but all the other extras will be included. Also, the sound was remixed to Dolby Atmos.

This will actually be a true 4K release since The Final Cut was scanned at 6K (35mm) and 8K (65mm), with the final master being 4K.

I had the pleasure of seeing a 4K projection when the blurays came out, and I don't know if my memory is correct, but I still feel like it's the sharpest image I've ever seen in a theatrical presentation. For someone who practically memorized the film, every new piece of rubble or wrinkle that was visible caught my attention.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm going through blu-ray.com making a list of movies I want to get (there's a lot) and I'm continually baffled at what is and isn't available. I can't get Pretty in Pink, but Santa Claus Conquers the Martians gets a release from Kino Lorber. Cheech and Chong's Next Movie is available, but not Up in Smoke. Dudes is finally getting a release out of VHS, but no True Lies. I'm not mad, just a little confused.

EDIT: And one more, Sleepless in Seattle and As Good As It Gets were released through Twilight Time. That just seems wrong.

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 29, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Obscure movies are more likely to get licensed out to small publishers that want to release everything they can while other movies get sat on because certain movie studios don't care about Blu-Ray when it comes to catalog releases. They'll release it to VOD in HD but pressing a disc is a bridge too far.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a UHD that's super impressive?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is there a UHD that's super impressive?

My go to titles are The Revenant and Deadpool, with the former being far more impressive in a completely dark room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

I'm going through blu-ray.com making a list of movies I want to get (there's a lot) and I'm continually baffled at what is and isn't available. I can't get Pretty in Pink, but Santa Claus Conquers the Martians gets a release from Kino Lorber. Cheech and Chong's Next Movie is available, but not Up in Smoke. Dudes is finally getting a release out of VHS, but no True Lies. I'm not mad, just a little confused.

EDIT: And one more, Sleepless in Seattle and As Good As It Gets were released through Twilight Time. That just seems wrong.

Both Pretty in Pink and Up in Smoke are Paramount, and they've been very sporadic on releasing stuff on Blu-Ray unless it's licensed. Pretty much the only output is either through Olive or Kino (both releasing stuff Paramount didn't release themselves with a few exception) or Criterion. They'll do the occasional upgrade and that's it. Though, Criterion is definitely releasing a John Hughes film in the near future, but most believe it's going to be Sixteen Candles.

True Lies (and The Abyss) have new 4K restorations supervised by James Cameron coming eventually.

For Sony-owned films like Sleepless in Seattle and As Good As It Gets, keep an eye on Indicator in the UK. They release reasonably priced all-region editions from the same or better masters than US editions. They recently put out a box of the three Harryhausen Sinbad films from new 4K transfers and absolutely packed with extras. Some of their releases are duplicates of Twilight Time editions, down to including their commentaries and music-only tracks. They also did The Lady from Shanghai that finally uses the proper master that Mill Creek used, while including all the extras from the Sony DVD and botched TCM Blu-Ray.

• Locked thread