Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The first three bourne movies are good.
Last year's one was so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've felt bored out of my mind in most modern fight/action scenes. They try to dial everything up to 11 with over the top anime poo poo yet it's also made clear the hero is always super badass and can never lose so there's no tension. Give me Harrison ford getting his rear end kicked by a huge dude and has to think his way out. Give me human heroes who can get their rear end kicked so when they come out on top its actually heroic.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Baronjutter posted:

I've felt bored out of my mind in most modern fight/action scenes. They try to dial everything up to 11 with over the top anime poo poo yet it's also made clear the hero is always super badass and can never lose so there's no tension. Give me Harrison ford getting his rear end kicked by a huge dude and has to think his way out. Give me human heroes who can get their rear end kicked so when they come out on top its actually heroic.

I crossed that threshold at Pirates of the Caribbean 2. When they started fighting on the water wheel something changed in me. I stopped being entertained by big boisterous action sequences. Now most of the time I'm just waiting for them to get it over with.

The Hobbit trilogy was a looong sit.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Pretty dumb of you to watch the bad ones instead of the good ones.

Did you also only watch Fast/Furious 1-3, the Roger Moore Bond movies, and the Schumacher Batman movies?

Because that's a solid self-own.

.... yes.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Most movies make the hero this awesome badass who is expected to win. I like it when an antagonist is established as just better than the protagonist when it comes to the main skill set of the protagonist. Make it impossible for the protagonist to catch up though sheer dedication or willpower or what have you. If the movie is about a guy who can punch really hard then have him go against a villain who can punch even harder and also is a black belt in jui-jistu. gently caress it, give him laser vision.

I want a hero deal with their inferiority and find a way to win anyway. Maybe he needs some help. Maybe he needs to figure out what else he's good at. Maybe he considers cheating or some other underhanded tactic that tests his principles. Anything other than a training montage and the power of friendship.

Even when a movie has a dynamic like this they cheat by having the hero go "I'm really really angry now and I've lost control anyway that means I'm suddenly able to defeat this guy though sheer power of RAGE!!" or whatever

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

vermin posted:

I genuinely walked out when the mountains started fighting each other.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I love when movies do the Alien thing where they kill the headliner in the first act and we have a high stakes interest in the film because anyone could die.

Except when they do it like Godzilla where you kill the headliner and now the story is about a semi-sentient cardboard standee. That sucks.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

UnfurledSails posted:

Most movies make the hero this awesome badass who is expected to win. I like it when an antagonist is established as just better than the protagonist when it comes to the main skill set of the protagonist. Make it impossible for the protagonist to catch up though sheer dedication or willpower or what have you. If the movie is about a guy who can punch really hard then have him go against a villain who can punch even harder and also is a black belt in jui-jistu. gently caress it, give him laser vision.

I want a hero deal with their inferiority and find a way to win anyway. Maybe he needs some help. Maybe he needs to figure out what else he's good at. Maybe he considers cheating or some other underhanded tactic that tests his principles. Anything other than a training montage and the power of friendship.

Even when a movie has a dynamic like this they cheat by having the hero go "I'm really really angry now and I've lost control anyway that means I'm suddenly able to defeat this guy though sheer power of RAGE!!" or whatever

:agreed:

Very few action movies the past decade have kept me on the edge of my seat, John Wick, Dredd, and Fury Road are the biggest exceptions.

Going back to Sam Rami's Spider-Man, the action in those movies is actually quite brutal and spidey usually got his rear end handed to him a few times. I remember him fighting Doc Ock and thinking "god drat" when they're throwing bags of gold coins at each other.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

All you need to see of any Bourne movie is the hilarious suicide scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFnmq5PPScA

The sound effects in this scene are hilariously bad, its the same 'WHISH WHAM!' punching sound effect from a million no budget 70s Kung Fu movies over and over in our supposedly hard boiled, gritty thriller.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

Going back to Sam Rami's Spider-Man, the action in those movies is actually quite brutal and spidey usually got his rear end handed to him a few times. I remember him fighting Doc Ock and thinking "god drat" when they're throwing bags of gold coins at each other.

I watched Spider-Man 2 recently and was really impressed with it. I didn't like Tobey Maguire when I first saw the movies in the cinema but looking back he was really well cast.
Raimi is obviously an excellent director which helps.
I know 3 has its issues but I think it's still very funny and I'd take it any day over any of the subsequent Spidey movies, including the upcoming Marvel Sony mess.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Except when they do it like Godzilla where you kill the headliner and now the story is about a semi-sentient cardboard standee. That sucks.
I'm still baffled by anyone who geniunely enjoyed godzilla. I don't know how that sentient cardboard still finds work.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

vermin posted:

I crossed that threshold at Pirates of the Caribbean 2. When they started fighting on the water wheel something changed in me. I stopped being entertained by big boisterous action sequences. Now most of the time I'm just waiting for them to get it over with.

Yeah, the Hobbit was extremely bad for this. I wasn't remotely entertained by any of it, it was stupid and over the top but without being entertaining. In some old chinese movie they'll have an insane over the top goofy fight scene with wire work and props and poo poo but also mostly real stunt work so I can appreciate the skill that went into it, but things are still grounded and real because it actually is real. In the hobbit I was ready to just peace out and leave at the barrel scene. Not only was it boring and lovely, it misses the entire point of the book in that their escape was shameful and pathetic. They had to slink away in old barrels like some river trash rather than escape heroically and Bilbo had to convince them it wasn't shameful or cowardly.

It's like how fast and furious, it's still a treat but I've become totally numb and bored with their all-cg super stunts that have to be 100% more insane than the previous movie. It becomes like a sound that becomes so high frequency your ears can't even hear it anymore. poo poo gets so over the top and so effects it goes over a point where you can't enjoy it, it's just an inaudible frequency that some how gives you a headache. Then you've got poo poo like Fury Road which was mostly all practical effects and real acrobats and stunt drivers and it rules.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

UnfurledSails posted:

Do you remember the bit towards the beginning of Die Hard, just after the terrorists have taken over the building, where John McClane goes to the top floor of the building and then just freaks out for a little while?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

a bone to pick posted:

The first one is solid, I think the second one is where he fights a guy that has a knife using a rolled up newspaper or something and immediately the series takes a nosedive.

Well they fridged his girlfriend right at the start of the second one, which really sucks because his back and forth with her in the original was really fun. Especially when he laid out the elaborate scheme for her to get the plans, and she just walks in and asks for them. Bourne needs someone to play off of and humanize him, otherwise he's just a Matt Damon Terminator.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I watched Spider-Man 2 recently and was really impressed with it. I didn't like Tobey Maguire when I first saw the movies in the cinema but looking back he was really well cast.
Raimi is obviously an excellent director which helps.
I know 3 has its issues but I think it's still very funny and I'd take it any day over any of the subsequent Spidey movies, including the upcoming Marvel Sony mess.

Evil Peter in 3 is amazing and perfect because it treats his meltdown exactly like what it is: a nerdy dweeb trying to act cool and failing spectacularly.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 8, 2017

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Baronjutter posted:

vermin posted:

:same:

There came a point where I just refused to see any new American action movies because I was always so loving bored and just waiting for the action scenes to be over but then Fury Road came out and saved the genre.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I liked the Bourne fight with the magazine, shows he can use whatever is around as needs be. If all you have is that then better use it effectively!

He'd have the range on the knife guy so that would help a lot. And a few solid whacks with it would be fairly unpleasant.

Kinda reminded me of some of Segal's best fights where he'd take on knife guys with a towel or whatever.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I like when jackie chan uses whatever is in his immediate vicinity to take down bad guys, like a step ladder.

I don't like matt damon bopping someone on the head with time magazine and the bad guy falls over.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like the Bourne scene where he rips one of the fire safety plan signs off a wall and uses it as a map because I make those for a living, at the same time I hate that scene because the map only shows the floor you're on!!!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

vermin posted:

I unironically want this to go as far as it can

Take it to the limit

Count of Monte Cristo re-envisioned as a steampunk cyborg.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This conversation reminds me of this video from Every Frame a Painting, and why Jackie Chan fuckin' rips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loving goddammit, it's like a cycle.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I like the Bourne scene where he rips one of the fire safety plan signs off a wall and uses it as a map because I make those for a living, at the same time I hate that scene because the map only shows the floor you're on!!!

Lol some poor gently caress running around a burning building looking for the next fire map.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I know a lot of people love that movie, and that's fine. Love what you love.

But for me, personally, I seriously can't get into that movie. I've tried and I just get nothing out of it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

reignofevil posted:

Lol some poor gently caress running around a burning building looking for the next fire map.

They only direct you to the nearest stair, from there you just "get out"

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

I don't think John Wick is that great. I mean I enjoy watching 60 sick headshots in a row as much as the next guy, but John Wick himself is just kind of boring to watch- not because he has no personality, but because he's basically invulnerable except for the couple of spots where the script needs him slowed down. Kind of like Ip Man- nobody ever lands a punch on that guy and he's loving dull as dirt.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

steinrokkan posted:

Count of Monte Cristo re-envisioned as a steampunk cyborg.

He must get revenge on the modern descendants of the Danglars and Villeforts because revenge sustains him and keeps his plot armor him alive

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really enjoyed the first Ip Man but they've made like a million of them, I assume trash?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

They only direct you to the nearest stair, from there you just "get out"

Ideally yeah. Too bad there's a massive building fire mucking up all these well laid plans!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

reignofevil posted:

Ideally yeah. Too bad there's a massive building fire mucking up all these well laid plans!

If a stairwell doesn't take you out of a building through a direct fire rated route it's not a proper exit stairwell. The maps will show a primary and secondary/alternate routes, but once you're in a stairwell you are supposed to be home free and no longer need a map.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
One of the lesser-developed parts of the Raimi Spider-man movies is that there feels like a major lack of comedy, especially compared to the MCU that came after it where you get a funny line or moment at least once a scene. Spider-Man has been a character more so than most of the Marvel ones that has a sense of humor about him and from him.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

I hope Marvel Studios Spiderman can nod to the "It's you who's out" exchange from the Raimi version somehow. Since every Marvel character can quip like comic Spiderman, it'd be funny if Marvel Spiderman can't bantz to save his life.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bloom posted:

Dark of the Moon did lead to what is possibly the greatest HitB ending gag, so I guess that's a point in its favor.

https://youtu.be/p3OquU4L1tc?t=1313

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yZMMj82Z3w

Action use to be better if for nothing else was that you could see what the gently caress is going on. It doesn't matter how really or awesome the fight is if you can't see a god drat thing. Bourne is trash through and through just for this reason alone.

Veshpo posted:

I don't think John Wick is that great. I mean I enjoy watching 60 sick headshots in a row as much as the next guy, but John Wick himself is just kind of boring to watch- not because he has no personality, but because he's basically invulnerable except for the couple of spots where the script needs him slowed down. Kind of like Ip Man- nobody ever lands a punch on that guy and he's loving dull as dirt.

He hurts like John Mclean. He also gets hurt alot. Have a look at how much attention the makers put into tracking his wounds.

John Wick somewhat super human(Excused by his decades long work in killing everybody) and we buy into that like we use to buy into how little heroes in the 80's use cover. It again is massively helped by being able to see what is going on even if it is crazy stupid as it revels in it's audacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW2Q0W2V4q0

Compare that to super hero fights where they don't even bother injuring their heroes let alone get tired. It's an exercise into how much they can lower property values.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

If a stairwell doesn't take you out of a building through a direct fire rated route it's not a proper exit stairwell. The maps will show a primary and secondary/alternate routes, but once you're in a stairwell you are supposed to be home free and no longer need a map.

Okay I'm taking this bit entirely too far clearly.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol, I just found out they're remaking Stephen King's The Mist, only this time it's a tv series and its on spike because why not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INZJP8vUL_c

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zmej posted:

I'm still baffled by anyone who geniunely enjoyed godzilla. I don't know how that sentient cardboard still finds work.

I adore that movie. I love the aesthetics of it. The visuals, the sound design, the effects. It's all rad as hell. I don't mind ATJ at all. He was a nice guy in the movie, and that was enough for me to root for him. He ain't my favorite hero ever, but I've seen worse*. :shrug:

Superman in Man of Steel.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mordja posted:

Lol, I just found out they're remaking Stephen King's The Mist, only this time it's a tv series and its on spike because why not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INZJP8vUL_c

The male and female leads look weird, like they were molded out of clay with slightly exaggerated features. Hope the show lives up to the movie at all.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was tentatively on board until the evil mist creature made of black mist in the mist, that's dumb

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCkl-Vgc4-I

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Zmej posted:

I really liked Cranston Godzilla while simultaneously being a harsh critic of it. Here's how:

Kickass (no one cares what his name is and I will not retain it if you tell me) is horrible. Cranston owns. You can write endless articles about how it was a mistake to kill Cranston and shift focus to a plank of wood with its wooden personality stolen by a witch. But here's the thing. That's basically every proper Godzilla movie, what with the humans being the lame part of the story. And as a lifelong fan of the WHOLE series, seeing a stiff performance is an improvement over 60% of the performances.

But then, it also lacks the kitsch of a bad Japanese performance.

In any case, it's not Matthew Broderick and some unknown Denny's waitress Roland Emmerich was trying to gently caress, so good on the 2015 movie.

I have no idea what I'm getting at. But somewhere between the truly unwatchable Godzilla movies and the must-watch movies, there lies the 2014 Godzilla.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

agreed

• Locked thread