Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

The fiesta officially starts when the guy who runs the event finishes his playthrough of the game.
It's a bunch of speedrunners, right, not RK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This is my first time, so apologies for the dumb question, but how does the start of the fiesta work? Do they do The Run on the 19th, and as soon as they finish, everyone else starts?

And I saw in the OP that there's a pledge drive to do a run with The Run's jobs between them being announced and the start - when do those get announced? I might try it out just to familiarize myself with stuff, even though I'm pretty sure I won't be able to finish it since I'm guessing they are gonna be stuck with the hardest jobs.

The Run starts on the 17th, and traditionally the Fiesta starts when they finish, or if they take forever to do so, there's a hard "no later than" time of the 19th. I tend to just use the hard dates to avoid surprises. :)

As for the toxx in the third post, that should in theory run between the date The Run's jobs lock (the 9th) and run until The Run proper starts (the 17th).

Actual times are nebulous since RK lives in Japan and doesn't provide time zones with anything he does. :geno:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Doom Goon posted:

It's a bunch of speedrunners, right, not RK?
Woop, yeah, guess you're right. Also Kyrosiris.

Ignore my last post.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

I mean, there's a hack for the PSX FFT that doesn't do anything but add in the PSP version's script. So. :shrug:

But why would you even want this. Isn't the PSP script dry as hell? Also man I can't wait for my ber/zer/ker/Geo team.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

But why would you even want this. Isn't the PSP script dry as hell?

It's a sacrifice either way you slice it: either you get the dry, hamhanded prose, or you get dialogue at points that is absolutely incomprehensible and dragons attacking you with bracelets.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

KataraniSword posted:

It's a sacrifice either way you slice it: either you get the dry, hamhanded prose, or you get dialogue at points that is absolutely incomprehensible and dragons attacking you with bracelets.

you'll take Bad Bracelet and Please Eat away from me when i'm cold and dead in the ground

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

From the run description:

quote:

Where can I watch The Run?

Wonderful people will be participating in The Run this year. Here are their Twitch channels.
puwexil: twitch.tv/puwexil
eLmaGus: twitch.tv/elmagus
Jenja: twitch.tv/jenja23
Yagamoth: twitch.tv/yagamoth

I guess DragonDarch decided not to try to top last year's performance. That's probably for the best.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've got a request to make a Drop/Steal guide, so I've got one in progress. Up to North Mountain so far, will get some more work in tomorrow and this weekend. Right now I've got it organized by progress of game, but may do it by item too if there's interest.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement!

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wait what did DDarch do last year?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

He was solo leveling Faris for Goblin Punch purposes. Then he wiped and hadn't saved, losing an hour or so of progress.

Isn't Yagamoth a poster here, or is that someone else.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

That is mind-blowing and insane. I'm sure he will eventually top that one year.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nomadic Scholar posted:

What didn't he do.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

That is mind-blowing and insane. I'm sure he will eventually top that one year.

No.

No no no.

That is merely the beginning.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Serene Dragon posted:

Probably not the worst team, but my personal worst was beating Omega with samurai/thief/white/monk. I had to get up to level 58 to do it.

58 seems ... really low to beat him with this party. Um, might I ask how you did it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

derra posted:

58 seems ... really low to beat him with this party. Um, might I ask how you did it?

barehanded/katana crit fishing + 2 healbots. Shell cuts down on a lot of his bullshit.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

barehanded/katana crit fishing + 2 healbots. Shell cuts down on a lot of his bullshit.

Through 95% evasion? You can't raise level to make those crits do significant damage either.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

derra posted:

Through 95% evasion? You can't raise level to make those crits do significant damage either.

Critical hits double your attack and ignore the target's defense.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Critical hits double your attack and ignore the target's defense.

I ... am aware? I'm the crazy guy who was mentioned in the infographic for 30 TCs last year. The thought of inputting 80 attack commands on average to scratch Omega makes me skeptical 99 elixirs would last long enough, even with !White, especially in the 50's. Can't use reflect because Atomic Ray would fullheal that level of damage output.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Went into his pre-run routing stream 24 hours before the run, insistent that he would never use Death By Math (read: level manipulation to trigger L5Death on bosses) but instead planning his whole route around level manipulation for Goblin Punch, which gets the notable 8x multiplier if you're the same level as the enemy.

He did that routing stream 24 hours before the run, already on 48 hours without sleep. He finished that routing stream an hour and a half before the run started.

He was on three days of sleep deprivation on top of his normal ego-stroking refusal to try alternate methods. This led to many issues including, as stated, total party wiping to a random encounter in the Wind Shrine, totally breaking down and losing his poo poo because he accidentally sold a Dragon Fang he'd needed for a boss mix, followed by several hours of zombie-like silence as he shambled across the finish line in dead last.

It was... it was kind of depressing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I ended up not finishing my run I started late into it last year after traveling and forgetting to take anything with my save copy with me. This will be the first time I'll be around when the event starts so hopefully that will make me more motivated.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So there was apparently a pledge last year to kill Neo Exdeath with a Skull Eater. Which was unfortunately impossible due to the fact Skull Eaters only had 1 HP, and that Goliath Tonics didn't even work on enemies. Well, good news:

Goliath Tonics work on enemies in the mobile version, meaning that Skull Eaters can be tamed. :getin:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 8, 2017

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

derra posted:

quote:

Plus a metric poo poo ton of luck with his algorithm and white magic saving the day a billion times. I also went into the bonus dungeon (GBA version) to pick up the good gear in there, which is also where I levelled up from like 36 when I beat NED to 58.

It... it still took a while, I died a lot. I was insane to do it, but I had triple crowned every other run I'd ever done and didn't want to lose my streak.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

because he accidentally sold a Dragon Fang he'd needed for a boss mix,
Ah, see, I actually watched the youtube video again recently because I couldn't remember exactly what happened and it turns out he didn't sell it. He accidentally used it in a mix against wendigo.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Serene Dragon posted:

Ah, see, I actually watched the youtube video again recently because I couldn't remember exactly what happened and it turns out he didn't sell it. He accidentally used it in a mix against wendigo.

For some reason that's even funnier :laugh:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Between the release of FFXIV: Stormblood and the FJF I'm going to be spending a probably unhealthy amount of waking, non-working time engaged in FF-related activities. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr. Fetus posted:

So there was apparently a pledge last year to kill Neo Exdeath with a Skull Eater. Which was unfortunately impossible due to the fact Skull Eaters only had 1 HP, and that Goliath Tonics didn't even work on enemies. Well, good news:

Goliath Tonics work on enemies in the mobile version, meaning that Skull Eaters can be tamed. :getin:

:bisonyes:

This is almost enough to redeem the version imo.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
For the jobs in The Run what's the plan for Omniscient?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
White Mages can set Silence or Berserk on Omniscient (this does not work on steam or mobile), then spam Blink to deal with his shockingly nasty autoattacks.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Reiterpallasch posted:

White Mages can set Silence or Berserk on Omniscient (this does not work on steam or mobile), then spam Blink to deal with his shockingly nasty autoattacks.

Pretty sure Berserk is the option of choice, since Silence just wears off/fails. You use Silence if you have Mystic Knights instead, via Silence Sword.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Supremezero posted:

Pretty sure Berserk is the option of choice, since Silence just wears off/fails. You use Silence if you have Mystic Knights instead, via Silence Sword.

Yeah, since Berserk is in that violent limbo of "we say this is a buff but it's really a debuff", it auto-hits. Silence has to deal with the magic-evasion formula and Silence's 75% Hit Rate. (Spellblades naturally hit if the attack hits.)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

Is there a replacement for Silence / Berserk on steam and mobile? Or is the battle just harder in general?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MagusofStars posted:

Is there a replacement for Silence / Berserk on steam and mobile? Or is the battle just harder in general?

It pretty much works out to "Have magic or wait out his magic" for that.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Is it not possible to silence him via Mage Masher?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Mikl posted:

Is it not possible to silence him via Mage Masher?

If the silence effect misses, which it will since it's a cast effect, the melee attack triggers the reset script.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
It's completely possible, but it's a random proc and if you don't silence him he will retaliate with Return. Not a very reliable strat but it can work if your damage is very high so you only need a few procs in a row to win.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You're relying on a 33% chance proc multiple times in a row before he gets to the -aga stage where you can watch him die.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

It's better to do Mage Masher with a strategy behind it. Usually that is hoping it procs and then following up big with the rest of your team. The problem I had last year with the berserkers was eventually the RNG would hit a loop. Sulla mentions that in one of the guides and it's why I had to intermittently hit the flee buttons last year to get a success.

Edit: Should clarify, this was on GBA.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 8, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Raerlynn posted:

If the silence effect misses, which it will since it's a cast effect, the melee attack triggers the reset script.

The trick is wearing a Reflect Ring and attacking yourself so only the Silence effect targets Omniscient. Rather annoying due to his innate Shell status, but still better than running him out of MP.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I beat him on Mobile in my first Fiesta due to having a Samurai and therefore Zeninage. A single successful Mage Masher proc with the lowest battle speed (this is important), and three Zeninage did the job. It loving sucked setting everything up but that's Matrix software.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So what's the beastmaster catch of choice for dealing with Byblos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

ZiegeDame posted:

So what's the beastmaster catch of choice for dealing with Byblos?

I use page 32 to banish his rear end into oblivion. Extremely satisfying.

• Locked thread