Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

botany posted:

you mean since brexit. why do americans always assume everything is about them.

Trump was a bigger wake up call to Europe than Brexit. He's far more horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Can someone explain why that UK news would not be prudent here if it was a USPol thread but it is in a Trump thread?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

beejay posted:

Can someone explain why that UK news would not be prudent here if it was a USPol thread but it is in a Trump thread?

its not us politics news, but its the only foreign elected leader besides bibi who pretends to like trump potentially going down

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

botany posted:

you mean since brexit. why do americans always assume everything is about them.

Because Brexit and Trump's victories seemed to point towards a nationalist trend, but then everyone saw what a dumpster fire Trump has been and thought "you know what, maybe the (((globalists))) aren't so bad".

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

beejay posted:

Last weekend I had to defend the honor of my favorite (and actually the best) pizza place. There are derails here, and the election result of our closest ally is a lot more important than someone other than me being wrong about pizza.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

beejay posted:

It might be relevant since UK matters to us, but if we really wanted to go deep we'd probably need to take it into the UK thread.

The Trump phenomenon is beyond our borders, he's the living hateful mascot of nationalism.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Trump was a bigger wake up call to Europe than Brexit. He's far more horrifying.

Both threaten the established European political order of the last half-century and allow Russia, the world's largest mafia, to destabilize the world in their favor.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

beejay posted:

whether or not it was truly the case--and genuine apologies for seeming like the ugly american about that--the US media will absolutely spin a Tory loss as a Trump repudiation and Trump will definitely tweet angry things plus there's a looming state visit

I mean a Tory loss would be an absolutely hilarious foreign policy capper to a hilariously disastrous domestic week for Trump

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

beejay posted:

From an American perspective, the Tories losing their majority could be seen as a rejection of nativism by an electorate just recently rocked by two big terrorist attacks. Our allies rejecting a Trump-adjacent world view is bad for Trump and, by extension, good for America.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

cult member at airport posted:

Because Brexit and Trump's victories seemed to point towards a nationalist trend, but then everyone saw what a dumpster fire Trump has been and thought "you know what, maybe the (((globalists))) aren't so bad".

yes or maybe UK residents have reevaluated what they very barely voted for and made their decision accordingly. not saying that trump was no factor at all but it's a little annoying that americans always make every single thing about them, even if they gently caress up.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Waffles Inc. posted:

whether or not it was truly the case--and genuine apologies for seeming like the ugly american about that--the US media will absolutely spin a Tory loss as a Trump repudiation and Trump will definitely tweet angry things plus there's a looming state visit

I mean a Tory loss would be an absolutely hilarious foreign policy capper to a hilariously disastrous domestic week for Trump

I think he only tweets about election results that he's happy with. He just stewed in anger after Macron won, and later on he was like "what, I like him, I backed him, really!" Even though he was cheerleading his opponent.

If Ossof wins, I don't think Trump will say a drat thing that night.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

botany posted:

yes or maybe UK residents have reevaluated what they very barely voted for and made their decision accordingly. not saying that trump was no factor at all but it's a little annoying that americans always make every single thing about them, even if they gently caress up.

everything is about us

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Thanks everyone. I can barely keep up with US politics. Sounds like a good thing for the world, though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Here's a sort of gameday thread of the hearing on NYT and a breakdown of why poo poo is important: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/08/...col-left-region

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

botany posted:

At one point in time, everything was about the Roman Empire. Then everything was about the British Empire. Someday soon, everything will be about China.

But right now? It's still us. Not for long, and Trump is making that happen more quickly than it would have. But yes everything is about America sorry.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Nate Silver is cautiously preparing to take his victory lap

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/872928508556845056

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

botany posted:

France had ads with Hillary in them to remind everyone that voting was important. We have a mad idiot nuclear weapons. Brexit was the first problem, yes, but Trump's a lot more terrifying.

Which is America's shame, not exceptionalism.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

France had ads with Hillary in them to remind everyone that voting was important. We have a mad idiot nuclear weapons. Brexit was the first problem, yes, but Trump's a lot more terrifying.

We're exceptionally shameful.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Has anyone heard whether anything interesting went down at Trump's speech today?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
When will UK polls be more or less final?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

At one point in time, everything was about the Roman Empire. Then everything was about the British Empire. Someday soon, everything will be about China

Why do people think this? That China is in any position to be the world superpower?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

theflyingorc posted:

We saw Brexit and said "Oh yeah? You think you're better than me? NO ONE OUT-STUPIDS AMERICA!" If that ain't exceptionalism, I don't know what is.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ignoring that last guy from Hawaii, here's the early field from the Senate in 2020.

The only reason to vote against banishing Scott Brown into kiwiville would be to run for president proudly declaring you opposed Trump harder than anyone else.

https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/872930134654930945

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

sugar free jazz posted:

Why do people think this? That China is in any position to be the world superpower?

They are the second biggest economy in the world, massive growth (although it's slowed down) and have literally a billion people.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Well if every other super power cripples itself because regressive whites got their feefees hurt , then they win by default.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/cafedotcom/status/872898320124870656

So people are aware.

"kink shaming" :lol: kurtailures

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:lol:

https://twitter.com/cthulhu4america/status/872916333989687297

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"What Comey described wasn’t obstruction of justice. Here’s why."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.3f5752de8063

quote:

According to Comey, Trump added that Flynn was “a good guy.” This is also true: Flynn is a combat veteran who served his country with bravery and distinction. The president added that Flynn had “been through a lot.” True again: He’d been fired in humiliating fashion, and his financial prospects were obviously dimmed by indications that he had been incompetent, if not deceitful.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Pennsylvania just ended their public pension program for all state employees, judges, and county employees (teachers).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Xae posted:

Theresa May hosed up literally everything she touched for a couple of months and turned out to be a lovely campaigner.

I've been paying tangential attention to it, but everything I have seen is that May has all of the charisma of Hillary with Trump's skill for saying the worst thing at every possible oppurtunity

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/872532952055513088

I'd be skeptical (also hopeful) of this if it weren't coming from a edit: nevermind he's not a law professor but still interesting.

scuz fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 8, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
cant wait for trump to tweet congrats to may before someone explains to him what it means

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rigel posted:

The only reason to vote against banishing Scott Brown into kiwiville would be to run for president proudly declaring you opposed Trump harder than anyone else.

Well that and really what purpose is served by cooperating with Republicans without the merest quid pro quo?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

scuz posted:

I'd be skeptical (also hopeful) of this if it weren't coming from a law professor.

lol he's an English professor

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

cant wait for trump to tweet congrats to may before someone explains to him what it means

OMG, there is at least a 1 in 4 chance that this literally happens.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

They are the second biggest economy in the world, massive growth (although it's slowed down) and have literally a billion people.

The second biggest economy slowing down means difficulty providing for the billion people, and that billion people have afaik a severe demographic issue of not enough young people due to the one child policy. China has massive problems.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

scuz posted:

I'd be skeptical (also hopeful) of this if it weren't coming from a law professor.

2019. Magic number, nobody brought it up today, much. Nothing happens before then, people understood this on November 8.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Pennsylvania just ended their public pension program for all state employees, judges, and county employees (teachers).

Like no longer allowing participation? Or those slated to get it or already receiving it won't and will have some present value of future benefits lumped into some other instrument?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

"What Comey described wasn’t obstruction of justice. Here’s why."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.3f5752de8063

Haha they are so hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I'm very interested in how they kept President Dumbass from live Tweeting every grievance he's ever dreamed up today. They must have taken his unsecured Android phone away from him?

• Locked thread