Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I bought EE BG1, BG2, and IWD on GOG and wound up getting free keys for the Complete Editions of those games as well (which I already own.) Is there anything the "Complete" editions have that the EE versions don't? I'm trying to find a solid answer, and most of the responses boil down to "Beamdog sucks" or "I can't exploit glitches anymore" or "I'd rather spend nine hours installing patches and mods."

I know the EE games do have some added content, but I just don't want to miss anything the Complete versions might have had added to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I bought EE BG1, BG2, and IWD on GOG and wound up getting free keys for the Complete Editions of those games as well (which I already own.) Is there anything the "Complete" editions have that the EE versions don't? I'm trying to find a solid answer, and most of the responses boil down to "Beamdog sucks" or "I can't exploit glitches anymore" or "I'd rather spend nine hours installing patches and mods."

I know the EE games do have some added content, but I just don't want to miss anything the Complete versions might have had added to them.

In old school BG1 you can talk to charmed enemies and 1 or 2 have special dialogue, that's literally the only content that isn't in the Beamdog games.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Skwirl posted:

In old school BG1 you can talk to charmed enemies and 1 or 2 have special dialogue, that's literally the only content that isn't in the Beamdog games.

Ok, cool. Thanks.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I like the EE editions for most things (except mod support anyway, not sure how that is now since I haven't played them in over a year and even then it was basically just SoD on release) but it should be said that the additions and changes to IWD EE aren't terribly well balanced. And you can't exactly avoid them either, especially as a new player who's probably gonna take all the sweet kits etc.

Of course, this is only important if you want an actual challenge and you can always up the difficulty anyway for that, but still.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Icewind Dale just didn't click for me like Baldurs gate has. It probably has something to do with the fact that the first time I played it was when the enhanced edition was released.

I just love SCS difficulty/mage chess too much.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's a pretty good summary. Although it is totally possible to spend 9 hours installing mods on the EE games now too.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

berzerkmonkey posted:

$6.50 each is a no-brainer for the EE games, right?

Literally the only games I've played through more than once. I still play through them now from time to time.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Beamdog support emailed me my Steam keys this morning. I'm going to dig into this in a week or two.

Several years ago I played about up to getting to Baldur's Gate as a Cleric and enjoyed that, but I'm thinking of rolling something new. Maybe an Inquisitor or Dwarven Defender. Do DD's get fun active abilities?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
No. AD&D fighters are very boring.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Inquisitor is the best Paladin kit due to its mage-nerfing abilities, though Cavalier is good too if you just want "Fighter, but better".

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

inquisitor is by far one of the best options for a complete trilogy run

-you're incredibly durable in bg1
-you gently caress mages in bg2
-you can use what's probably the best weapon in the entire game (paladin only)

magic users are another story entirely but as far as melee player chars you will never regret inquisitor

does anyone have a good 3rd/4th npc to use for a bg2 run with pcname sorcerer or f/m and edwin? i'm thinking edwin viconia pcname(sorceror) dorn(?)

also

are there any good mods with autobuff casting? there's that one from weidu with a companion mod attached http://weidu.org/main.html#install

I didn't know if that was the one everyone used or what

mbt fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 8, 2017

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The only reason not to Inquisitor is that arguably the most OP recruitable NPC in BG2 is an Inquisitor and there's not much point in having two of them if you're running a good alignment party.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
For the teamwork feat quests in SoZ, can I just kick my party and rehire mooks to get the quests that my party-leader qualifies for but the rest of my party don't (and then kick mooks into the sun)?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

does anyone have a good 3rd/4th npc to use for a bg2 run with pcname sorcerer or f/m and edwin? i'm thinking edwin viconia pcname(sorceror) dorn(?)

For an evil run as you're describing, Korgan is super good, possibly the best NPC fighter after Keldorn. Berserk is really good, there are a lot of very powerful axes in the game, he doesn't have the mistake of having his weapon proficiencies spread around a bunch of mediocre weapon types, and you get him early enough to be able to get him two points in dual wielding without much trouble.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Korgan gets shorty saves too – a very nice bonus which can put him in the territory where he makes his saves 100% of the time.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Jaheira is the obvious choice.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

oh yeah I guess I don't have a thief in there. I almost forgot jan, never forget jan.

obviously the tob fighter would slot in v well too if I get there

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Making my way through Siege of Dragonspear for the first time and I'm coming up to the bit where you're trying to get to Dragonspear through the underground river

So far I'd say:

– The environments and artwork is top notch. Much better than what they added in BG1/BG2.
– I'm liking the way it ties in with the Bhaalspawn storyline so far
– Apart from returning voice actors (David Warner stealing the show again) I've found the VAs to be almost universally bad. Is it me or do they sound very nasally/really American? Especially the female VAs. The added content in BG1/BG2 suffered from this as well.
– Encounter design seems pretty good. You get punished quite a lot if you go in without a strategy, and spiders have wiped me a few times.
– Lots of interesting items to choose from with a variety of effects
Caelar Argent seems like a Mary Sue
– Safana is annoying
– There seems to be a lot of small fetch quests which is kind of annoying.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Entropy238 posted:

Funny thing is that when I went through SoD the PC I'd imported from BG1 was herself an Ranger (Archer) which meant I had two of them in the group which was just ludicrous, really. Lot's of fun, though. :dance:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

lol really? maybe my meterstick for what qualifies as a mary sue is higher

jng2058 posted:

Funny thing is that when I went through SoD the PC I'd imported from BG1 was herself an Ranger (Archer) which meant I had two of them in the group which was just ludicrous, really. Lot's of fun, though. :dance:

:same: bg1 archers are nuts, thanks fireball arrow

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Another SoZ question since I just picked up some crafting fears having run out of important pre-epic feats on a couple characters: where do you find armor enchantments? I've found a ton of Weapon enchantments all over and have actual choice there, but the ONLY non-AC armor enchantment I've found is Spell Resistance. I haven't entered Chapter 3 yet but I've seen basically all of Chapter 2 at this point and as mentioned I've got a bazillion weapon enchantments, so.

Armor crafting feels kinda poo poo without any options.

Also it feels weird that GG enchantments on amazing bases only requires like 10k gold (which is absolutely nothing once you get a little bit into chapter 2) while even half-decent wondrous items require reagents that seem to don't even exist until chapter 3 if at all. Except randomly some require useless stuff instead like +6 Cha reagent is easy to get from level 9 Wisps in Chapter 1. Meanwhile I've never seen the monsters whose reagent-drops are required for any +Int items.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 9, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Entropy238 posted:

– Apart from returning voice actors (David Warner stealing the show again) I've found the VAs to be almost universally bad. Is it me or do they sound very nasally/really American? Especially the female VAs. The added content in BG1/BG2 suffered from this as well.

How much of SoD's dialogue is voiced? I picked up the EE of 1 and 2 in the GOG sale and I noticed that the new companions and stuff relating to them is almost all voiced so I can imagine that an expansion with full voice acting to be fairly grating after a while.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gobblecoque posted:

How much of SoD's dialogue is voiced? I picked up the EE of 1 and 2 in the GOG sale and I noticed that the new companions and stuff relating to them is almost all voiced so I can imagine that an expansion with full voice acting to be fairly grating after a while.

After having just finished it this evening I take it back. The VA definitely picks up about half way through – the bad VA stuff is in the miscellaneous quests and random characters.

I was really impressed with the difficulty (playing on Insane with no added damage).

Overall I'd give SoD a solid 7.5-8/10

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I just started playing BG2EE and the AI scripts keep resetting themselves. Am I unknowingly hitting some hotkey that is doing this or is it a bug?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just a heads up for those that might be interested, there's a Kickstarter for Pathfinder: Kingmaker running right now. It takes influence from IE games and of course features Chris Avellone (lol). Looks interesting, even though I'd never heard of Pathfinder before this.

Insurrectionist posted:

I like the EE editions for most things (except mod support anyway, not sure how that is now since I haven't played them in over a year and even then it was basically just SoD on release) but it should be said that the additions and changes to IWD EE aren't terribly well balanced. And you can't exactly avoid them either, especially as a new player who's probably gonna take all the sweet kits etc.

Of course, this is only important if you want an actual challenge and you can always up the difficulty anyway for that, but still.

What exactly did they change about Icewind Dale? I have the EE's for both of them wishlisted, I've been meaning to check them out since they're the only Infinity Engine games I've never really played. If they messed it all up I won't bother.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
They didn't mess up anything. IWD EE just has all the kits and whatnot from BG2, which are things that the original game wasn't balanced for.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Entropy238 posted:

Just noticed that Durlag's got some sick barbells in his gym:

Seems like the Flesh golems have been making use of them.

Leaning them up on the wall like that doesn't seem particularly safe.

edit: I don't see a squat or a bench rack and it looks like 50 kg*2 + 25kg*1 on each side, so it looks like whoever was deadlifting with them was pulling around 270kg (594 lbs). They'd need a strength score of at least 20 for that.

edit 2: Flesh golems only have 19 STR (500 lbs) so they're definitely ego lifting or juicing

:golfclap: i'm glad i opened this thread.

pretty sure theres some other npcs who have gym equipment laying around in 2 too.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Skwirl posted:

isnt it in there? i mean, you could patch that poo poo back in for bgt/tutu. i always assumed they did the same for the EE.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
BG1EE runs on the BG2 engine. The BG2 engine does not let you talk to charmed NPCs.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Tutu is the BG2 engine, so if they could patch it in for tutu then they should be able to patch it in for EE?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bike tory posted:

Tutu is the BG2 engine, so if they could patch it in for tutu then they should be able to patch it in for EE?

But also, clearly, no one has bothered to check to see if they did, because the only interesting thing is a conversation with a spider-lady that might be a reference to Jon Irenicus.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

But also, clearly, no one has bothered to check to see if they did, because the only interesting thing is a conversation with a spider-lady that might be a reference to Jon Irenicus.

IIRC this doesn't have to be a charmed conversation, I think she initiates dialog when you enter the lair. If you're nice to her you can ask a question, the only correct one being "why are you so fat?"

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
A couple of minor quest givers will give you the reward without doing the quest if you charm them. There's also a named NPC in the BG south area during chapter 7 who normally tells you to get lost, but if you charm him he tells you everything that happened in the city. I guess in case you weren't paying attention to the plot?

But yeah charmed dialogues were underwhelming.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Man I hate that SoD still has bundled NPCs where you can't have one without the other. Come on guys, BG2 figured that out like 15 years ago when they killed off Khalid and Dynaheir. You already have a system where unused companions follow along anyway at the camp.

Hell, one of the pairs even starts out separated!

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 12, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
IIRC you can murder the party member from the pair that you don't want and then remove them from the party without their other half leaving.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Skwirl posted:

They changed the name to Jon Irenicus in the Enhanced Edition. I did some digging, and apparently Jon Icarus was the original name before BioWare decided to go with something a little different.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They changed the name to Jon Irenicus in the Enhanced Edition. I did some digging, and apparently Jon Icarus was the original name before BioWare decided to go with something a little different.

think it was that baldurdash txt patch that changed it originally.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

think it was that baldurdash txt patch that changed it originally.

Might be, I'm not really up to speed with the BG modding community (dabbled a bit in WeiDu while I was in high school to install some fixpacks and high resolution mods, but that was it) but the fact that it's included in the official Enhanced Edition that's overseen by ex-BioWare developers kinda confirms that was the official intention, doesn't it?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I bought BG2:EE ages ago but never played it. Never played BG2, as a matter of fact. So I decided to try it out.

I'm currently early on in Chapter II and need to amass cash. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options I have. I got my rear end trounced by the unseeing eye quest, with the beholders and poo poo, when I tried it out on release. I suppose Keldorn isn't meant to be an initial party member, then?

I currently have my protagonist (half-elf ranger/cleric), Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo and Anomen. I feel like I need to pick up a spellcaster but I'm not sure who or where. Neera?

Basically, any pointers along the lines of "these are some good quests to get you started out" would help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

I bought BG2:EE ages ago but never played it. Never played BG2, as a matter of fact. So I decided to try it out.

I'm currently early on in Chapter II and need to amass cash. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options I have. I got my rear end trounced by the unseeing eye quest, with the beholders and poo poo, when I tried it out on release. I suppose Keldorn isn't meant to be an initial party member, then?

I currently have my protagonist (half-elf ranger/cleric), Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo and Anomen. I feel like I need to pick up a spellcaster but I'm not sure who or where. Neera?

Basically, any pointers along the lines of "these are some good quests to get you started out" would help me.

The Thieves Guild in the Docks district is a good early quest, and heading to the Umar Hills is a good opportunity for a ranger PC.