Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

eames posted:

yeah he was up to 1.8 PB according to his last posting.

yeah gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't know anything about this person. Was he just trying to prove a point about unlimited storage or did he have an actual use for storing all that?

eames
May 9, 2009

The picture I posted is a link to the posting where he brags about his "achievement". He's ripping "webcam streams" using multiple hosted servers and recording them directly to ACD "for fun".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

eames posted:

The picture I posted is a link to the posting where he brags about his "achievement". He's ripping "webcam streams" using multiple hosted servers and recording them directly to ACD "for fun".

Oops, I didnt notice that was a link.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

eames posted:

multiple hosted servers and recording them directly to ACD "for fun".

I'll admit, I don't use Amazon cloud to know that acronym so I thought you meant he was recording it to the photomanager ACDsee

For actual NAS question, I am trying to move away from SMB and goto NFS. I see a lot of tutorials of how to set up different permissions for different IP/IP ranges but I am trying to find a way to make it so I can have read only for anonymous users while I have rw for an authenticated user .

There are no real good guides I'm doing this through zfs except for those long rear end zfs set sharenfs="to lots of characters" commands

For those that did it before, is creating a share outside of NFS easier or is the fact that zfs brings up the shares as soon as the mounts are ready better ?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

eames posted:

Where "fun" is apparently beating his dick until there's nothing left.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Someone linked me a site awhile back that was selling what amounts to "barebones" systems that seems like they probably came out of some cloud providers racks. Many-core Xeons, with 64-128GB RAM, etc.

I can't seem to find the posts talking about it because search doesn't seem to be working for me right now. Anywhere else selling stuff like this? I never got around to upgrading my home server and now I'm thinking about it again...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Thermopyle posted:

Someone linked me a site awhile back that was selling what amounts to "barebones" systems that seems like they probably came out of some cloud providers racks. Many-core Xeons, with 64-128GB RAM, etc.

I can't seem to find the posts talking about it because search doesn't seem to be working for me right now. Anywhere else selling stuff like this? I never got around to upgrading my home server and now I'm thinking about it again...

Would this be Natex.us with the E5-2670/S2600CP2J packages?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Hey. Got a couple of questions.

My current use cases are :
- Grabbing these beautiful linux isos. I mean they are just beautiful. No one has better linux isos. Believe me folks.
- Downloading my local newspaper and reading the comics section
- Misc. other stuff

I've been running with ubuntu + zfs for almost 4 years now, and before that freebsd + zfs. Now it is getting time to upgrade.

I'm considering going down a different path, instead of building my own system.
I've been looking at the Synology (been eyeing the DS1517+). But I'm uncertain of a few things.

I currently run ubuntu + zfs on the base install and then have everything else running in separate docker containers.
Can I run docker on Synology?

I also realize that Synology stuff doesn't have the power to transcode HD/4k content. What would be my options if I got the synology but still want to support AppleTv and other devices that would require transcode? Is it as simple as getting something like an Intel NUC and have that run Plex server?

I realize that this would probably be way more expensive than just building my own computer.
But I'm not really wanting to deal with the hassle to be honest. My current setup was cobbled together before there was really a lot of tutorials on the subject. The docker stuff has been a godsend actually. But there are things that I never did get working %100 percent such as flawless SMB/NFS/APS shares, etc. I just don't want to have to deal with it and it looks like Synology makes this really easy.

EDIT:

After thinking this through a bit more I realized that if I'm going to get a Synology and an Intel NUC I might as well run all the stuff on the NUC and leave the Synology as a pure storage dump. But this puts me right back where I don't want to be - except maybe the hardware is a little nicer looking than a PC tower. Bleh.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 9, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Would this be Natex.us with the E5-2670/S2600CP2J packages?

Yeah, that was it, thanks.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
uhhhh edit I think never mind?

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 9, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Why would you format to exfat? Just share the volume over SMB.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Matt Zerella posted:

Why would you format to exfat? Just share the volume over SMB.

I don't know what SMB is but there's definitely no trouble writing to or reading from the drives via either computer so maybe I'm just imagining a problem where there isn't one.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ol Standard Retard posted:

I don't know what SMB is but there's definitely no trouble writing to or reading from the drives via either computer so maybe I'm just imagining a problem where there isn't one.

You don't format shared volumes. The NAS handles that itself. SMB is just the sharing protocol. Both a mac and pc can write to it/see it.

The mac will poo poo dotfiles all over it though.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Matt Zerella posted:

You don't format shared volumes. The NAS handles that itself. SMB is just the sharing protocol. Both a mac and pc can write to it/see it.

The mac will poo poo dotfiles all over it though.

I guess I'm just being over-careful, this is my first foray into a NAS as a backup/share solution so it's cool that I don't have to worry about it.

It's pretty cool have 4 digits worth of gigabytes at my disposal :3:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

You edited your post so presumably you figured it out but

1. plug it into the network
2. follow this: http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.3/cat1/en/index.html?win_mac_nfs.htm

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

EVIL Gibson posted:

For actual NAS question, I am trying to move away from SMB and goto NFS. I see a lot of tutorials of how to set up different permissions for different IP/IP ranges but I am trying to find a way to make it so I can have read only for anonymous users while I have rw for an authenticated user .

There are no real good guides I'm doing this through zfs except for those long rear end zfs set sharenfs="to lots of characters" commands

For those that did it before, is creating a share outside of NFS easier or is the fact that zfs brings up the shares as soon as the mounts are ready better ?

Back when I used NFS (before Apple completely hosed up NFS auto-mounting in on one of the recent versions which prompted me to just give up and move to netatalk/AFP instead of NFS, since slow SMB performance on Mac clients was the only reason I used NFS, and even that required a lot of tuning), I used the "zfs set sharenfs" command.

Despite the syntax of one giant line being kind of obtuse, it's not that bad - it's just a bunch of share_nfs attributes separated by commas.

Before all that though, why are you moving from SMB to NFS? Unless your clients are predominantly Linux machines, SMB (+AFP if you have Macs) is almost certainly going to be an easier (and probably better) option.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

GokieKS posted:

Back when I used NFS (before Apple completely hosed up NFS auto-mounting in on one of the recent versions which prompted me to just give up and move to netatalk/AFP instead of NFS, since slow SMB performance on Mac clients was the only reason I used NFS, and even that required a lot of tuning), I used the "zfs set sharenfs" command.

Despite the syntax of one giant line being kind of obtuse, it's not that bad - it's just a bunch of share_nfs attributes separated by commas.

Before all that though, why are you moving from SMB to NFS? Unless your clients are predominantly Linux machines, SMB (+AFP if you have Macs) is almost certainly going to be an easier (and probably better) option.

I have SMB up and running. It's great. The reason is that I would like to move to NFS because I always hear it's more efficient at transmitting without needing to do hacks like increasing the MTU on my machine. It might be complete garbage but I would like to fully take advantage of the ARC .

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Are your clients all *nix based? Do they have faster than 1 GbE connections to your server?

SMB is really the de facto standard for file sharing at this point for consumer use (even Apple switched to it as the default over AFP), and is very unlikely to be the bottleneck in network file transfer performance.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Tom's Hardware with a hot take: consumer SSDs are getting shittier (particularly write performance and write endurance), used enterprise SSDs are a good deal, and Optane is the way forward.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Thwomp posted:

Grab QBittorrent? Link

worked amazingly well. You have to open firefox is the only downside.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've left all my hardware in another continent, so trying to plan ahead a new home system to build over the next few years. Just seeing if I'm hitting any red flags I don't know about...

It's just me and the wife so no need for insane speeds as shouldn't be congesting it too much. Essentially I'm gonna buy an older 2012 Mac mini to keep me going for the next year or two to have something more stable than a 2011 MacBook Air to do photo editing and general use on. I also miss having a local Plex server, so this machine will run that and the usual background tools as well. Eventually I'll buy a flash brand new iMac for normal use and relegate the mini to just being the plex/iTunes server.

I was thinking something like the QNAP 451a in RAID 5 4x6TB would be a good fit for this setup. I like the idea of having direct access for the machine I'll be doing photo editing on, as 30MB raw files in big imports would benefit from the extra speed, and this seems one of the few more budget units that offer this. I don't need the NAS to do anything special other than hold the drives and let me monitor them in an app or whatever, as the Mini will be running the show wrt file management/any transcoding. I don't really want to CJ this setup to be honest, I want to set up once and walk away.

Obviously the new Mac will have thunderbolt 3 on it and I expect there'll eventually be affordable home NAS' that feature Ethernet/TB combos, but does this sound sensible enough as a rough plan?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Any of you guys have any experience with Mini PCIe? I was looking at some ARM boards and thought it would be nice to make a simple storage system using an ARM board and maybe a Mini-PCIe SAS card.

Is it worth the trouble? Or is everything crap in this form-factor?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I disagree with this take. Used enterprise SSDs are sure a good deal, but current DDR4 and Flash prices are not permanent and they will continue to fall in the long run once fabs have finished retooling for newer processes and are able to catch up some with pent-up demand.

Optane is new, expensive, and not mainstream yet. I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The argument is more that companies have determined that they can sell more drives and make more profits by selling drives with more but shittier cells. It even notes that most consumers will probably benefit, since they'll get drives that are larger, cheaper, and faster for everyday tasks; the weakness in using TLC and whatnot only shows up when you're hammering the drive with extensive long writes or gently caress-tons of data. When you can offer a "better" drive at a cheaper price to 95% of your customer base at the expense of that other 5%, then that's what you do unless the 5% out-buys the other 95%. Especially when that 5% already has a line of drives especially for them.

The article is really written to people who want to run small datacenters in their basement or whatever--if you're a real corporate customer, you're already using wide arrays of Enterprise drives and don't give a poo poo that the most recent Marvell controller is kinda crap (were they really anything other?) and aimed squarely at consumers, rather than at people trying to write 150GB at a go onto a 256GB drive.

So, I guess I agree with you that the tone of the article is kinda silly.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I got carried away and bought 16GB ECC RAM from eBay to use in a home server without reading the ad properly. Turns out it's 'registered' ECC, which restricts the potential motherboards to expensive ones.

I was planning on using my socket 1151 Pentium G4560. Is there a relatively cheap socket 1151 motherboard that will take registered ECC?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

apropos man posted:

I got carried away and bought 16GB ECC RAM from eBay to use in a home server without reading the ad properly. Turns out it's 'registered' ECC, which restricts the potential motherboards to expensive ones.

I was planning on using my socket 1151 Pentium G4560. Is there a relatively cheap socket 1151 motherboard that will take registered ECC?

Just try it, usually it will just work.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Just try it, usually it will just work.

I'm thinking about this board, cos it's cheap and I'll be running it headless:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X150M-PRO-ECC-rev-10#ov

Is there a chance the registered RAM will work with it? If it doesn't I can always sell the registered stuff at a slight loss and buy some normal consumer grade buffered ECC, right?

EDIT: Bought new mobo, so I will find out in a couple of days. :hehe:

apropos man fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 12, 2017

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Looks like FreeNAS 11 is out of RC and released. http://www.freenas.org/download-freenas-release/

I tried updating from 9.10.2.U4 to U5 a few days ago and ran into a bunch of issues. Going to wait a couple weeks to see if 11 has any immediate bugs and then going to clean install 11.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

phosdex posted:

Looks like FreeNAS 11 is out of RC and released. http://www.freenas.org/download-freenas-release/

I tried updating from 9.10.2.U4 to U5 a few days ago and ran into a bunch of issues. Going to wait a couple weeks to see if 11 has any immediate bugs and then going to clean install 11.

Still no Docker support.

I've been running the RC's over the last few months and haven't had any issues, for what it's worth.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Still on 9.3 - how much of a pain in the rear end would migrating VBox VMs (via the jail) over to the bhyve backend?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

DrDork posted:

Still no Docker support.

I've been running the RC's over the last few months and haven't had any issues, for what it's worth.

Docker support was claimed for 11 U1.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

So my registered ECC RAM doesn't work in the Gigabyte X150-PRO-ECC motherboard. I'm running it with 16GB normal desktop DDR4 at the moment.

I'm gonna sell the high-end server RAM and buy 16GB of normal unbuffered ECC instead.

If I get my server all set up and use it for a week with 16GB desktop RAM in, then power it down and replace with ECC unbuffered this is OK, yes? I'm thinking that error correction is mostly done on the hardware layer, so the OS is pretty much oblivious to which RAM I've got in it. I'm running a CentOS host and plan to add a bunch of VM's and maybe containers.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

apropos man posted:

So my registered ECC RAM doesn't work in the Gigabyte X150-PRO-ECC motherboard. I'm running it with 16GB normal desktop DDR4 at the moment.

I'm gonna sell the high-end server RAM and buy 16GB of normal unbuffered ECC instead.

If I get my server all set up and use it for a week with 16GB desktop RAM in, then power it down and replace with ECC unbuffered this is OK, yes? I'm thinking that error correction is mostly done on the hardware layer, so the OS is pretty much oblivious to which RAM I've got in it. I'm running a CentOS host and plan to add a bunch of VM's and maybe containers.

Yeah absolutely, the hardware has to recognize what DIMMs are plugged in, and the only real difference between unbuffered ECC and regular stuff is the extra pins. It will probably give you a notice that hardware has been changed but everything should work fine.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Cool, thanks. So is there some kind of indication that error correction is in place or do I just put the new RAM in and trust it's working? This is probably a BIOS specific matter, right?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

apropos man posted:

Cool, thanks. So is there some kind of indication that error correction is in place or do I just put the new RAM in and trust it's working? This is probably a BIOS specific matter, right?

It is a BIOS specific matter. Some will have an indication, or even an option to disable the ECC feature and just use it as normal RAM. You can also usually load up MemTest86 and it should have a note about the presence or absence of ECC. Past that it's pretty much transparent and "just works."

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

OK. Thanks for the help. I've already updated the BIOS to F21 (latest) and will have a poke around in there once I swap the RAM. Cheers.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

apropos man posted:

If you're running Linux, look for 'EDAC' in dmesg. Here's what it looks like on a machine with no ECC:
code:
$ dmesg | grep EDAC
[   15.270264] EDAC MC: Ver: 3.0.0
[   15.276949] EDAC amd64: Node 0: DRAM ECC disabled.
[   15.276950] EDAC amd64: ECC disabled in the BIOS or no ECC capability, module will not load.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

More generally, any platform with dmidecode (which is included in most Linux distributions, as well as FreeBSD; or another program that can read the DMI table) can easily tell if ECC memory is used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Cool. I'll keep those two tricks in mind.

I had to rush out and get another processor last night to get the board working. I'd originally planned to migrate the G4560 that's in my Kaby Lake system over to it but, it wouldn't boot with the G4560. It was just going through some kind of 20 second loop process.

I realised on Friday that it might be still on original F1 BIOS and it needed an older Skylake chip to get it booting. I sourced one on eBay and drove an hour on Friday night to pick up an i3 6100. Intel have swapped over hyperthreading when going from Skylake to Kaby Lake, so the Skylake i3's have hyperthreading but the Kaby Lake Pentiums have hyperthreading (and vice versa).

Anyway, I got back around 10pm last night and popped the Skylake CPU in and it booted. It's the MATX version of the board, not the full-size one I alluded to earlier. The BIOS is pretty nice and it seems to be good and cheap for a low cost ECC server board. I don't think it has any overclocking functions in the BIOS but if you're buying this board you wouldn't want to be overclocking anyway.

I just thought I'd mention that it's a viable option for those looking for a cheap ECC board. I've got less that 24hours experience with it, but so far it seems good and I expect it will take normal consumer level unbuffered ECC without a hitch when I get round to it.

EDIT: Never mind: asked in the PC building thread

apropos man fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 17, 2017