Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Haier posted:

How I'm be walking when I board my airplane at the end of summer

http://i.imgur.com/myG7fzk.gifv

ditto

hahaahahahaah
Cynthia's mom has got it going on.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's really not interesting. Korea has their own, awful office suite called HWP which never loving works at all but it's Korean made therefore it is the best program ever written. I refused to use it because it's such a bloated pile of garbage that, again, does not work. Constantly. We didn't have Office so I installed OpenOffice on my work and classroom computers and all is fine, right?

Well, no. First there was the fighting over "it is a virus" and me trying desperately to explain that a program where you type things is not a virus. The computers were infested with malware because Asia, constant popups and BonziBuddy type poo poo is the norm and I don't know how you'd even tell there was a virus on one of those. Anyway, eventually I was able to get through that it wasn't a virus, but my explanation that it's free software didn't fly. Piracy is a very serious offense, you see, and there is no such thing as free software so obviously I stole the OpenOffice.

This continued for months, with them removing the program and me re-installing, again and again. Eventually there was a low level Ministry of Education flunky who came to the school for whatever and delivered a comically poorly translated letter informing me of copyright law in Korea and that by pirating OpenOffice, I was breaking the law and might be deported.

By this point I was near the end of my contract and firing someone from a public school is basically impossible, so I stopped reinstalling it. Therefore I had no access to any of my materials, and spent the next few months doing nothing whatsoever until my time was up.

STOP TRIGGERING ME

I am proud; I dislodged a thirty-aiyi pileup on the escalator today with a single "Move!" barked in my scariest teacher voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I was the only white person on my flight to Chengdu. The flight attendants were really nice and the pilots even did English over the intercom even though it was clear they never normally use it ("We are will landing at two after fifteen"). When we landed I helped people down with their rolly carry-ons from the overheads, people said thank you, and nobody tried to shove past me afterwards when we were getting off the plane.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I award you one million Chengdu points. You may now fight Magna for Chengoon Champion.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

simplefish posted:

I was the only white person on my flight to Chengdu. The flight attendants were really nice and the pilots even did English over the intercom even though it was clear they never normally use it ("We are will landing at two after fifteen"). When we landed I helped people down with their rolly carry-ons from the overheads, people said thank you, and nobody tried to shove past me afterwards when we were getting off the plane.

this is a guy who doesn't live in the Mainland lol

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

simplefish posted:

spreading 5000 years of british civility, i applaud you

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Imperialist Dog posted:

Was this already posted? Don't cross the street in Henan

https://twitter.com/ZhangZhulin/status/872693355137961984

Zebra Crossings are a fake facade like everything else in China I guess

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The Great Autismo! posted:

this is a guy who doesn't live in the Mainland lol

Yeah, but he bought me dinner once, so I owned him Chengdu points, anyways!

also sorry i missed you guys :ohdear: I have been doing nothing but slamming my face against a pile of curriculum development that needs to be done RIGHTFUCKINGNOWARGH because they changed the parameters and expectations so many times that even though I've been working on it all year, I'm only technically halfway-finished.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

LentThem posted:

Yes the woman is stupid as hell for wandering into traffic ME FIRST ME FIRST

That's the only way to cross the road in many places though. There are no traffic control or pedestrian lights, and if you want to cross you have to do what she did.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The thing about that video is that she's still alive before the second car hits her. You can see her try to sit up about ten seconds before the second car but she lays back down again.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
We always figured that motorbikes will go around you and cars will hit you deliberately.

China's a pretty awful place.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 8, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

also sorry i missed you guys :ohdear: I have been doing nothing but slamming my face against a pile of curriculum development that needs to be done RIGHTFUCKINGNOWARGH because they changed the parameters and expectations so many times that even though I've been working on it all year, I'm only technically halfway-finished.

No worries, I know what the end of term can be like. Do swing by HK on your way out if you can though, would love to see you two again

I don't live in the mainland but every time so far I have loved it. I am fully aware that I was a cheery chappy on holiday, though, not having to live there day in day out

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

WarpedNaba posted:

If it's any consolation, she isn't 2 years old.

It is actually.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

simplefish posted:

No worries, I know what the end of term can be like. Do swing by HK on your way out if you can though, would love to see you two again

I don't live in the mainland but every time so far I have loved it. I am fully aware that I was a cheery chappy on holiday, though, not having to live there day in day out

Will definitely let you know if we're back in HK!

Chengdu is actually really nice, it's the day-to-day small things that wear on me.

For example, today I had to go downtown to cover the classes that Mr. I Like To Sniff Children was teaching. There's no driver available today because their license/ce doesn't allow them to drive on Thursdays. Not too bad, as the subway finally opened, but it's still roughly an hour out of my day, and then wandering around Tianfu Square aimlessly for a bit, and then going to the school. Get yelled at by the security guard even though they have my picture and, honestly, how many white, female people try to enter a public middle school?

Then the schedule, which is the "corrected" schedule, is wrong. I ask a teacher to help me, he makes a face like I've poo poo in his coffee and barks at a student. The student comes over and is nice, but I have a scheduling question and need someone at OMG THE MOSTEST ELITE AND SPECIAL JUNIOR HIGH IN CHENGDU to help me. You know, like one of their eight million English teachers. No. Everyone I ask sends me to a kid, I ask the kid to take me to an English teacher, they do and the teacher refuses to deal with me and calls another kid over.

I call my boss, my boss yells at me for "not telling [her] earlier." WTF I'm not psychic.

Find the classroom (it's labeled as a ninth grade classroom, even though it's for seventh grade, and it's the ONLY ONE. Also there are two class sevens. No one told me that.) and there's no A/C. Fifty kids. Kids all get up and leave ten minutes early, no explanation why. I don't even care because there were OMG BLACK PEOPLE in my PPT and they wouldn't stop loving laughing and pointing and yelling things I won't even repeat because we all know what they were saying.

Next class, the kids are less assy, but I spent over ten minutes trying desperately to shut down all the bloatware programs so I can open Powerpoint. There's a kid "helping" me by taking the mouse out from under my hand and quadruple-billion-superfastclicking on the PPT icon while I am also saying, "It's okay, I can do it, please sit down, go sit down, please stop, please just go sit down" but he can't hear me because everyone is screaming. Then I try to leave and they block the door and demand I write "GOOD JOB CLASS 7" on the teacher's log. I write "This was fine, I guess."

Charge my transit card, but aiyi is literally standing on the back of my shoe because she's staring so hard at the screen. I move to the next one. She follows. This happens four times before I go and stand against a wall and pretend to text. I manage to charge it after she wanders away.

Sweaty hour back to the office. Sit here for ninety minutes while everyone else has gone home.

The actual city is fine and cool with lots of stuff to do, but it's just hard to appreciate sometimes, you know?

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
It's too loving hot here now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

There's no driver available today because their license/ce doesn't allow them to drive on Thursdays.

the gently caress?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Holy fuccccking poo poo

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

the gently caress?

some cities restrict some numbers on license plates on some days to reduce congestion on the road

Like if your plate ends in 2 or 9 you can't drive on thursdays

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

yo it's all good we had a great time, amazing city y'all got there

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

the gently caress?

They do alternate day driving here to try to reduce traffic, so if your license plate is even numbered you can drive certain days and odd other days. I dunno the exact system they use. It's not actually a China thing it's done all over the world.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

some cities restrict some numbers on license plates on some days to reduce congestion on the road

Like if your plate ends in 2 or 9 you can't drive on thursdays

But this is China so everyone bought a second cheap old (and therefore more polluting) car so they could drive on both even and odd days.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

At lunch today we had the unusual experience of a Chinese person being a racist rear end in a top hat to another Chinese person instead of us. We went to this new Hui restaurant by the school. Hui are Chinese Muslims and have super good foods so I'm stoked about this. Anyway, the waitress was quite pleasant and wearing a hijab. She took my stumbling lovely Chinese order no problem. Then this buzzcut comes in with his girlfriend and starts loudly slowtalking the waitress to show his manliness to his girlfriend while she checks Wechat. Just being an rear end in a top hat to the Hui girl as if she isn't Chinese too. It was just the worst.

Then he noticed us and stared for a while.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

At lunch today we had the unusual experience of a Chinese person being a racist rear end in a top hat to another Chinese person instead of us. We went to this new Hui restaurant by the school. Hui are Chinese Muslims and have super good foods so I'm stoked about this. Anyway, the waitress was quite pleasant and wearing a hijab. She took my stumbling lovely Chinese order no problem. Then this buzzcut comes in with his girlfriend and starts loudly slowtalking the waitress to show his manliness to his girlfriend while she checks Wechat. Just being an rear end in a top hat to the Hui girl as if she isn't Chinese too. It was just the worst.

Yeah, this was honestly one of the worst things I've seen here. I honestly thought he was mentally challenged at first, that's how slowly he was speaking.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

there was no racism in china until the white imperialists came to subjugate and oppress anyone that isn't white, so if you have a problem with this terrible racism, you have only yourself to blame

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

*oppresses sadly*

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

*oppresses sadly*

*oppresses enthusiastically *

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm technically Han (I think Hokkien and Teochew still count as it?) and I get Jungle Monkey due to being from Malaysia. :v:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Charge my transit card, but aiyi is literally standing on the back of my shoe because she's staring so hard at the screen. I move to the next one. She follows. This happens four times before I go and stand against a wall and pretend to text. I manage to charge it after she wanders away.

Idgi did she want to see what magical different thing the foreigner does when she charges her card that's so different from normal people?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

Buzzcuts are literally the worst dudes in China. All of them. It's like a big, square warning to everyone else to ignore or avoid the guy because he's going to be an ignorant piece of poo poo.

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm technically Han (I think Hokkien and Teochew still count as it?) and I get Jungle Monkey due to being from Malaysia. :v:
Are you tanned? Then LOL, u r a hillbilly poor!!!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
If I had the choice between going to china or the US, I'd go to italy.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Why is that Youtube guy that got forced into buying that dumb busted house and living with this mother-in-law on Conan?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
LOL

https://www.reddit.com/r/hiking/comments/6g00o5/ordered_a_couple_of_compasses_from_china_ill/

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
ZHENCHUANBU, SHANXI, CHINA:

quote:

Smoke from coal fired stoves cloud the air in the coal mining town of Zhenchuanbu, Shanxi, China. Will China now take the global lead on climate change in the vacuum left by Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris agreement?

Edit:

TAIPEI, TAIWAN:

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 8, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Today I had to do some work at a building that has a really over-rated breakfast place in it. It's not bad by any measure, but my town has a million really good breakfast/brunch places that don't have huge lines to get in. I was there around 11, it was pouring rain and people were lined up out the building and down the sidewalk either with umbrellas or sadly holding poo poo over their heads looking miserable. At least 75% of them seemed to be Chinese tourists. I have no idea why tourists flock to this place, and i've always wanted to just shout at people stuck in this huge line that there's 4 as-good or better places with no lines within a block or two. This time I wasn't just walking by, I was doing something for work so I sort of made small talk.

I asked them how long they had been waiting. Some american sounding tourist near the front said about half an hour. I told them in a very friendly way there's a bunch of other really decent brunch places close by, but they were almost in so they wanted to stay. All the chinese in the line were more younger independant traveler types, not a tour bus full of rich farmers, so I had hope I could reason with them. One who looked miserable under the rain asked me if I was local and about the other restaurants I had mentioned. I named them and gave general directions, they quickly opened up some sort of brochure and scanned it, obviously not seeing the names listed "They are not famous? The guide says Blue Fox is most famous." I said the food is just as good, if not better, just no huge lines. They seemed tempted, they thought on it, but could not lower their standards to go somewhere that wasn't "famous". I mean if there isn't a huge line it can't be good. I just started grinning like an idiot at their use of "famous" and got back to work. None of the non-chinese tourists were having it either. The guide said to eat brunch there for the classic Victoria experience so by god they have to eat there even though there's nothing remotely special about it other than probably paying to get listed in tourist brochures. It's just loving breakfast food, a benny or an omelet isn't worth waiting 30 min in the rain for!!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 8, 2017

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Accretionist posted:

quote:

Smoke from coal fired stoves cloud the air in the coal mining town of Zhenchuanbu, Shanxi, China. Will China now take the global lead on climate change in the vacuum of faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The guide said to eat brunch there for the classic Victoria experience so by god they have to eat there even though there's nothing remotely special about it other than probably paying to get listed in tourist brochures. It's just loving breakfast food, a benny or an omelet isn't worth waiting 30 min in the rain for!!

Went to New Orleans recently and it was basically the same thing but with white tourists. Asians don't visit New Orleans for some reason. But you'd have the 1-2 really popular places have hour long waits for a po' boy or a beignet when they're served all over the city.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

bamhand posted:

Went to New Orleans recently and it was basically the same thing but with white tourists. Asians don't visit New Orleans for some reason. But you'd have the 1-2 really popular places have hour long waits for a po' boy or a beignet when they're served all over the city.

Yep, it's not a uniquely chinese mindset for tourists. People want to go to the most famous one, even if it's over-rated, even if it was only famous because it was good or significant 10 years ago and is now a horrible tourist trap. It's famous do you know? This is what I felt about almost the entirety of Amsterdam's red light district. It's not stores selling pot and sex, it's souvenir shops selling trash to prove you wandered around an area that sells pot and sex. Maybe 20 years ago it was an interesting seedy area, but it's 100% sanitized tourist trap now. Yet it's flooded with tourists, mostly loud and dumb and english.

I still honestly think worst tourist is still a toss up between new-rich chinese and working class english. Depends where you are I guess. In europe it's 100% the english by a long shot, in SE Asia is 100% chinese because in both cases it's the cheap close by destination the riff-raff can go to. English are still disgusting in Thailand though.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 8, 2017

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

bamhand posted:

Went to New Orleans recently and it was basically the same thing but with white tourists. Asians don't visit New Orleans for some reason.
The local populace probably scares the poo poo out of them.

Baronjutter posted:

Yep, it's not a uniquely chinese mindset for tourists.
It's true that clueless tourists of all nationalities flock to dumb tourist traps just because it's what they heard about back at home or saw in a brochure, but Chinese people seem to be attracted to anything and everything popular/crowded, regardless of whether or not they're traveling abroad. I saw the locals doing it when I visited China, and they do it here too (I live in an area of California that has a very high % of Chinese immigrants). There will be a line up of essentially identical restaurants and one of them will have a giant crowd of people waiting an hour+ to get in while the others sit there almost empty. The crowded restaurant typically isn't even "famous", it just has a drat crowd outside so that means it's good. I don't know why people fail to see the feedback effect in place here, but it's pretty ridiculous.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 9, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Today I had to do some work at a building that has a really over-rated breakfast place in it. It's not bad by any measure, but my town has a million really good breakfast/brunch places that don't have huge lines to get in. I was there around 11, it was pouring rain and people were lined up out the building and down the sidewalk either with umbrellas or sadly holding poo poo over their heads looking miserable. At least 75% of them seemed to be Chinese tourists. I have no idea why tourists flock to this place, and i've always wanted to just shout at people stuck in this huge line that there's 4 as-good or better places with no lines within a block or two. This time I wasn't just walking by, I was doing something for work so I sort of made small talk.

I asked them how long they had been waiting. Some american sounding tourist near the front said about half an hour. I told them in a very friendly way there's a bunch of other really decent brunch places close by, but they were almost in so they wanted to stay. All the chinese in the line were more younger independant traveler types, not a tour bus full of rich farmers, so I had hope I could reason with them. One who looked miserable under the rain asked me if I was local and about the other restaurants I had mentioned. I named them and gave general directions, they quickly opened up some sort of brochure and scanned it, obviously not seeing the names listed "They are not famous? The guide says Blue Fox is most famous." I said the food is just as good, if not better, just no huge lines. They seemed tempted, they thought on it, but could not lower their standards to go somewhere that wasn't "famous". I mean if there isn't a huge line it can't be good. I just started grinning like an idiot at their use of "famous" and got back to work. None of the non-chinese tourists were having it either. The guide said to eat brunch there for the classic Victoria experience so by god they have to eat there even though there's nothing remotely special about it other than probably paying to get listed in tourist brochures. It's just loving breakfast food, a benny or an omelet isn't worth waiting 30 min in the rain for!!

I had no idea brunch was an integral part of the Victorian experience. I've been to Victoria twice and not once did I have brunch! (Although I did yell at some mainlanders who were blocking my way when I was running in a blind panic to catch my ferry back to Seattle.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Accretionist posted:

TAIPEI, TAIWAN:

I believe that is Yuanshan - Grand Hotel.

• Locked thread