Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Ghost of Starman posted:

To be clear, do you mean I should run the... whatever, the Chapter that is currently available? Or that I should buy all the LS3 stuff?

And am I correct in assuming it's because getting around the HoT zones is a pain until you have all those things unlocked, and the LS3 zones are an easier source of XP/Mastery points to unlock them with?

Your assumptions are correct. I would buy all the LS3 content asap, not just the most recent chapter. I think the maps are fun/good, there is very rewarding zone-specific currencies to earn (albeit time gated) and the story content itself is notably better (not saying much).

Also, oakheart's reach (a mastery you can unlock with ep 5) is incredible. It's basically a batman style grapple that will attach to any surface within 2000 yards or so. Only works so far in the ep 5 map, but totally worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's unironically cool that they apparently just pass out "here, be level 30" scrolls to any character you have on your account, even if you were inactive for literal years.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Erdricks posted:

Also, oakheart's reach (a mastery you can unlock with ep 5) is incredible. It's basically a batman style grapple that will attach to any surface within 2000 yards or so. Only works so far in the ep 5 map, but totally worth the effort.

And the guild hall! :eng101:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

lucifirius posted:

If you need help with Hearts and Minds just ask in guild chat and there should be people willing to help.

Guild is always preferred, but if no one is around (a rare occurrence) don't forgot you can start a group in the group finder. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to get a full party most nights for stuff like this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pierson posted:

It's unironically cool that they apparently just pass out "here, be level 30" scrolls to any character you have on your account, even if you were inactive for literal years.

Also known as "free key" scrolls.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
How are the new WvW rewards?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
The new rewards are Good but adding the long-term reward structure to WvW 5 years after launch is a little awkward. And it doesn't look like they've learned what the sPvP team has (or are unwilling to apply it yet) since the final tier repeatable Ranked PvP chest now keeps rewarding Ascended Shards of Glory, but you don't get any more tickets repeating the WvW one. Though it resets weekly so that might be less "wasted" effort.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Holy poo poo raids are hard. Thanks for taking me and showing me the ropes, now I know what to do. I just need to work on better gear; sadly I'm being limited by mats on converting my ascended armor to Viper's.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I'm so very town between being the best condi minion master Necromancer and being a dope Reaper dude.
I really hope the next elite spec is all condition stuff.

Curse--Blood Magic--Reaper. Take all bleeding and chill tactics (except the blind one in curse, unless you use dagger off hand). Scepter-Focus/Staff, Rabid/Deadshot Armor/Weapons. In WvW you take the blood magic tactic and use wells, but pve minions all the way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Moose_Knuck posted:

Curse--Blood Magic--Reaper. Take all bleeding and chill tactics (except the blind one in curse, unless you use dagger off hand). Scepter-Focus/Staff, Rabid/Deadshot Armor/Weapons. In WvW you take the blood magic tactic and use wells, but pve minions all the way.

That's mostly what I'm doing except I'm having a hard time giving up Greatsword.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

That's mostly what I'm doing except I'm having a hard time giving up Greatsword.

pve right? scepter/dagger + greatsword if you're condi, if you're in wvw you have to use staff though because of the huge aoe utility it has

wvw you could swap the scepter to a greatsword, you can pull people with it which is very strong

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
What's the fastest way to get Hero Points? I really want to try out Reaper spec, but I have like no HPs on my Necro because I got her to 80 and moved on to the next character.

SurelyForth
May 21, 2007

Ghost of Starman posted:

What's the fastest way to get Hero Points? I really want to try out Reaper spec, but I have like no HPs on my Necro because I got her to 80 and moved on to the next character.

Sometimes there are HP trains on the various HoT maps. DS also has seven that are decently easy to get during/immediately after a meta run.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
If you do enough WvW, you can also use Proofs of Heroics to pretty much instantly max out Hero Points.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

jokes posted:

Also known as "free key" scrolls.
Gonna admit this one flew over my head. Does being 30 give you free Black Lion keys or something?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Pierson posted:

Gonna admit this one flew over my head. Does being 30 give you free Black Lion keys or something?

It gives you enough levels to go do the personal story steps that reward keys. If you can stomache circa 2012 personal story, that is.

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008
Would like to put up a "What the hell is happening" Goon raid group together.
We talked about this in guild chat, there were a few interested we might need like about 6 more of you.
Someone with experience that can lead us would be really amazing as well!
If you are interested answer to this and/or contact me in game (captainweedo.7491)

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I'm always happy to guide new groups along assuming I'm actually in town to do so. Message me.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Atari teenager posted:

We talked about this in guild chat, there were a few interested we might need like about 6 more of you.
If you are interested answer to this and/or contact me in game (captainweedo.7491)

sfd has one of these! its some of the best fun you can have.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Depending on what time you raid, I'd be interested in joining up. I can't join the SFD one because it's way too late on a work night for me, unfortunately.

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008

where the red fern gropes posted:

sfd has one of these! its some of the best fun you can have.

if SFD would help out like running a few of us newbies and showing us the ropes we'd be so happy.

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008

Kessel posted:

I'm always happy to guide new groups along assuming I'm actually in town to do so. Message me.

I don't know what's your in game handler.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Join GOON and SFD. You can see and interact with both chats. Sometimes SFD weekend raiders need bodies and you could ask to join that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'd like to thank everybody who "helped" with Hearts and Minds, by which I mean I'd like to thank everybody who sat with me in the penalty box, and also the one guy who did the whole fight by himself while our dead asses watched from the big reset mote in the sky.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Erdricks posted:

Your assumptions are correct. I would buy all the LS3 content asap, not just the most recent chapter. I think the maps are fun/good, there is very rewarding zone-specific currencies to earn (albeit time gated) and the story content itself is notably better (not saying much).

Do you still need to enter the various HoT zones to unlock the masteries?

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008

dad on the rag posted:

Join GOON and SFD. You can see and interact with both chats. Sometimes SFD weekend raiders need bodies and you could ask to join that.

I've never looked into how to join SFD, i've been in Goon Squad since launch but never bothered join Stafeet cause I didn't know anyone from that circle.
But I'd be ok to join for the convenience for sure, specially now that the game has less activity than back then would prove useful to find people to do stuff with.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Atari teenager posted:

I've never looked into how to join SFD, i've been in Goon Squad since launch but never bothered join Stafeet cause I didn't know anyone from that circle.
But I'd be ok to join for the convenience for sure, specially now that the game has less activity than back then would prove useful to find people to do stuff with.

If everyone didn't join a guild because they didn't know anyone, no one would have any internet friends. "Cast off your bow lines, dream, discover" -Wayne Gretzky -Michael Scott -Borat 2007

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008
I've played many times with SFD anyway, usually the best groups i've seen in the game.
I'm just a filthy casual and thought they were only accepting hard core people or something.
Early on at launch there was like 4 guilds and I was glad to be in the main Goon Squad that was enough for me.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Just call Arus fat and you are in. It's sometimes tough because he is so very rude to Don, who is only a gentleman in return, but it's a good group of peeps. The hardcore raid guild that checked your gear was separate.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Atari teenager posted:

I'm just a filthy casual and thought they were only accepting hard core people or something.

Lmao god no, we're the opposite of that. In fact, we take an unusually and medically unhealthy amount of pride in how much we suck. Cletus' big achievement for 2016 was learning how to eat vegemite toast simultaneously while raiding so that's pretty pro I guess.

Atari teenager
May 29, 2008
Haha! well I'm in now I just go invited by Lonk. I'll keep an eye on to join events and such.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

despite doing everything we can to suck at things we also manage to do incredibly well at the same time, which doesn't say a lot for other guilds

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Atari teenager posted:

I'm down! I was the one telling you to get this posted. Any time after 7pst usually works for me during the week.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Are Revenant's fun to play?

SkullMuffinz
Jan 31, 2011

I like things that are dumb.

Atari teenager posted:

I'd totally be down to help with this, I've got gear from doing fractals but little to no raid experience. I can guarantee I'm not qualified enough to lead this but I've got enough experience to help with tips and tricks or something like that maybe. I can also most likely get my fiance to come along, and shes a lot better at this game than me.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Atari teenager posted:

I'll help. My gear score is 53.

BadLlama posted:

Are Revenant's fun to play?

Permanent swiftness, so yes.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Atari teenager posted:

I don't know what's your in game handler.

Kes Ferdinand

gently caress if I remember my handle+number

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Man, I just bought the expansion and downloaded the game client, started it up, and.... Maguuma is full. Now what? I just want to play with goons.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sneeing Emu posted:

Man, I just bought the expansion and downloaded the game client, started it up, and.... Maguuma is full. Now what? I just want to play with goons.

Home server matters solely (and I really mean solely) for WvW. Other than WvW, you can play with goons and goon guilds in any and all aspects of the game.

e: #magswag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Sneeing Emu posted:

server only matters for world versus world versus world i believe?

• Locked thread