Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Corrine... Kill me. Do it now. Once you do, the war is over. Please...end my suffering and let me join Hinoka.
I can't do that, Ryoma.
Are you really going to deny me even the mercy of a quick death?!
My brother... To kill you now would not reunite you with Hinoka. I did not kill her Ryoma. She's still alive.
This must be...a trick of some kind...

Remember when killing Shura was a thing? Boy, it seems really weird now that it was a choice considering everything afterwards.

I couldn't do it. It may cost me my life and my mission, but she's too precious to me.
I knew Father would not tolerate there being any survivors, so I lied. I made it seem as though she were dead and told her to hide until the war was over.

Literally Sakura, her retainers, and Yukimura.

That's why I took her lance as proof. If I had really killed her, don't you think we would have taken her head instead?

Nobody except Ryoma believed that, which I guess was why she believed it could work...?

good question. She's done a lot. Like put Hoshido into slavery in a couple hours.

I'm sorry, Ryoma. I don't know what else to say. I know you have no good reason to take me at my word, but I swear it's the truth.
Sakura and Yukimura were taken prisoner, but at least they're still alive. Takumi fell, but his body is missing, I'm sure he's out there somewhere. I want to save you too, Ryoma. I don't want anyone else to die!

The truth is that I am not your enemy. All I have done has been for the good of us all.

"Don't ask about the Kitsune"

Corrine... I...
Quiet! Father is approaching... Let me say all I need to say.

You're doing a bang-up job by defeating the last line of defense. I am very curious what exactly your plan is.

You may hate me, but know that no matter what happens...you'll always be my brother.

And then she just straight up leaves.

I could have sworn I saw the Yato light up for a moment. Could it be? Is she telling the truth? I wonder...

*A moment later*

Well done, my daughter.
Thank you, Father. Now it's time to cement that which you have waited so long for. Once you seize the throne, this kingdom will finally belong to Nohr.
Yes, but first...

Oooh, now let's see what this great plan is to get around this!

Are you deaf, child? Kill Prince Ryoma! I forbid anyone else from taking your glory. Deal the final blow yourself.
But, Father! What purpose does it serve? Prince Ryoma can no longer fight. We've won the war! Why not force him to drown in his disgrace rather than needlessly take his life? To watch our king ascend his throne is surely more torturous than death...

...THAT'S your plan??? "Murder dad, he can't fight no more. We should move on, k?"

Foolish girl. Have you learned nothing?!

Somehow Cheve is important in all this.

You have uttered those very words yourself. Or was your change of heart a lie?
It wasn't! I just—
Oh my, what is the meaning of this? Could it be you lied to your king? If you lied about that, perhaps you lied about Princess Hinoka too... What have you done, Corrine? Have you betrayed Nohr after all?

This is the longest con in the world if she's betraying Nohr at this point.

You're wrong! I have proven my allegiance to Nohr over and over again!
Then prove it one last time. Someone as strong as you should have no trouble ending a life in one strike, right?
Kill him now. I will not be kept waiting.

"I'M MURDER KING, I MURDER PEOPLE WHO LITERALLY WON THE WAR FOR ME BUWHAHAHAHAHA"

Father!!
Corrine...
Ryoma... I... I...

Enough of this! Princess Corrine is clearly a trai—

gently caress you. Just gently caress you, you team killing rear end in a top hat.

Wait!
Hm?
I know what must be done, and I will not allow a Nohrian to do it for me. I will end this war...my way.
What are you talking about? Have you gone mad from despair?
Ryoma?

It's all right. Everything will be all right. My beloved sister...
Ryoma, no! Don't!
I'm counting on you, Corrine. I will...trust you. Good-bye...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3OQarfKlGU

Wait, has the whole room been in a blaze this whole time

In case you didn't realize that this is Not-Japan somehow

BUSHIDO

He's smoking like a steamed Lobster.

This can't be... Ryoma...
Ryoma... My...brother...

(Camera switches to Garon and Iago)

Hmph! King Garon, do you accept this travesty? Lady Corrine did not kill the prince as you so clearly commanded!
True, but I will accept this victory nonetheless. Prince Ryoma is dead, as is Hoshido. Victory belongs to Nohr.

And Xander STILL doesn't believe that Garon is evil, cause we're still doing the chair plan.

Yes, I'm serious.

No!!
Corrine? Where are you going?! Corrine, wait!

*Corrine and Azura leave*

Hmph...

*A moment later*

If I cry now, Ryoma's sacrifice will have been in vain...
I am King Garon's child! A cold, heartless, princess! That is my disguise. I can't falter. I chose to follow my heart, to walk the path of darkness... I am Corrine the traitor! And so I must remain until the bitter end.

I have no right to cry over Ryoma...over my...my brother... No!! I can't... I mustn't... *sob*
WHY?! WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?! Ryoma! Brother!! *sob...sob...*

You literally had no plan other than "Welp I hope this time he doesn't ask me to murder him!"

Corrine...
Azura... *sniffle* I couldn't...protect him... I promised Hinoka I'd save him. That we'd all be a family again one day... But it was a lie, just like everything in my life. all I do is hurt the ones I love! *sob*
Hush now, Corrine. It's OK. I know you couldn't keep that promise you made to Hinoka...
But don't forget about the new promise you made to Ryoma.
A new...promise...?

That was him entrusting the future of Hoshido to you. Those aren't just empty words from one enemy to another. In the end he realized what you're trying yo achieve and recognized you as his sister. That's why he said what he said...and why he did what he did.
Ryoma... *sob*

I think this is the first chapter where Azura actually calls Ryoma her brother. Am I crazy?

He was proud of you, Corrine. Don't waste his sacrifice. You will fulfill his promise, won't you? His...his dying wish?
*sniffle*
Y-you're right. I did make him a promise. And as long as I'm alive, I will keep it. I won't let you down, Ryoma...
You've been so strong, Corrine. We're almost at the end.

THE CHAIR WILL SOLVE EVERYTHING

IGNORE THE FACT THAT HE IS LITERALLY KING OF THE CONTINENT NOW TO GET TO THIS POINT AND CAPTURED/KILLED MOST OF THE OBSTACLES AGAINST HIM

We're so close...
But for just...just a brief moment... May I...cry with you? *sniffle*

Tae fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
At this point, I'm expecting something stupid is going to happen that will prevent Murderdad from sitting in the drat chair, which is going to make everything we've done up to this point completely meaningless.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

W.T. Fits posted:

At this point, I'm expecting something stupid is going to happen that will prevent Murderdad from sitting in the drat chair, which is going to make everything we've done up to this point completely meaningless.

'This chair seems exceedingly happy and bright. THIS WILL NOT STAND! Camillia, get your Dragon Knights to bring me my chair from Nohr! Chop chop! And Corrine! Destroy this chair and toss it in the incinerator. I will be using Iago as my seat in the meantime.'

'oh god damnit'

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

W.T. Fits posted:

I think we're all expecting this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

WHY?! WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!
because of you. you walked in and conquered hoshido. and also told him you killed hinoka. you. you are the reason this is happening.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Remember: people were paid to both write and edit/approve this scene for the final product.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
The true villain of Fates was hidden the entire time!

It's the writets.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

imagine if Conquest had legitimately just been Spec Ops: Fire Emblem edition tho

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh my god, did the plan actually work? We're finally fighting Garon?!

I mean, what the hell else could it be?

I never understood huge doors like these. They seem very annoying to open and close all the time.

CHAIR TIME CHAIR TIME CHAIR TIME CHAIR TIME

Yes, my liege. Nothing stand in our way. The kingdom of Hoshido is all yours!
Mwahaha, the time has finally come! I have awaited this moment for decades upon decades...
Yes, Father. Please, sit on the throne and claim what is rightfully yours. Let us admire you in your first moments as the conqueror of Hoshido!

gently caress

Hm?
I must first consult the sacred mystical dragon, Anankos. No one may enter the throne room until I say so.
...Understood, Father.
Mwahahaha!! I am ruler of both Nohr and Hoshido, the two greatest kingdoms of all! I shall be remembered forever as the king who conquered the world!

*Garon leaves the group*

Okay, he's eventually going to sit on the chair??

Corrine...
It's all right, Azura. Once he's done praying to his god, we'll be allowed to join him in the throne room. Then everyone will finally see his true form. After all we've endured, waiting just a few moments longer is nothing.
You're right. It's almost time...
Relax, everyone. Father will give us permission to enter any minute now.

Corrine, behind you!
Huh?!

I AM TIRED OF YO poo poo, IAGO

What are you doing, Iago?! Why did you attack Corrine?
What am I doing? Is it not I who should be asking that question? What exactly do you think you're doing, Lady Corrine?
What are you talking about?!
Princess Hinoka is alive and well. Do you deny it?
That's...that's nonsense! You have no proof!

What do you think they found? Surprise, surprise! Princess Hinoka with a small group quietly escaping from the back.

...Why wouldn't you bring this up back at the underground place. You have never held back on trying to murder/frame Corrine at any possible moment.

You don't seem surprised, young princess. I take your silence as a confession. You let her escape, didn't you?!
Such betrayal is an act of treason, and the only possible punishment is death.

...It's called Treason because of Iago.

Really, Conquest? Now is the time?

As such, I think I'll go ahead and take your pathetic little life myself!
No!

Xander!
Out of my way, Prince Xander. Otherwise you too will be branded a traitor and executed for your crime.
So be it. If you wish to kill Corrine, you will have to defeat me first. However, know that I do not intend to go down without a fight.

Xander, I appreciate the help but NOW you start not caring about treason? Is it seriously just because daddy dearest isn't watching, you goddamn coward?

Wh-what do you mean?
I challenge you to a duel, Iago. I have had enough of you and your cruel manner of doing things. You are a disgrace to the great kingdom of Nohr, but that ends today.

He talks big when the parent isn't around.

As the crown prince of Nohr, I am taking back my kingdom!
Count me in. I've long hoped for the chance to express my discontent with Iago's dirty schemes.
If you are going to take him down, allow me to share in the pleasure.

Leo, you are the only one that actually did anything on either side about the lovely people in Nohr.

You d-don't intend to kill me, do you?! Your king's trusted g-general?
That's not very becoming of a N-Nohrian royal, now is it?!

...It's literally because murder-dad isn't here. Wow, this makes it so meaningful.

We'll tell him you were murdered by some remaining Hoshidan rebels. How tragic.
What?! No! That's deceitful! It's traitorous! It's—

Hahahahahahaha

Oh, you're serious

You and Hans have done nothing but awful things to innocent people for years! And what's more, you've been openly mean to Corrine! I've always hated you two! It's time to pay for being such big jerks!!
Hmm, well, I perhaps don't feel as strongly as our little Elise here...
But anyone who tries to hurt my darling Corrine most certainly deserves death. It's only fair.
You're ready to die now, I hope?
Lady Elise! Lady Camilla! Th-this is bad...

Ooh, this is where I wish I had Gunter still.

Fine then! Bring it on, gwahaha! I don't care if you're a prince or a princess. You're weak—all of you!
It seems the only way to settle this is with a battle. Do not expect me to hold back.
Though I do not regret returning to Nohr... I will not stand idly by while you desecrate the kingdom I grew up in!

The kingdom that abused and isolated you while you were here as a kid? Is stockholm some weird requirement to be a citizen?

I always try to avoid needless violence...but there’s an exception to every rule.

"If you had a furry tail, you would've been dead a long time ago!"

You want to see me act more like you? Like a merciless killer? Then watch this. You may be on the side of Nohr, but I will punish you all the same!
Don't worry, Corrine. We all share the sentiment, and we have your back. You are still the leader of this army, and we are awaiting you orders.
You have plotted the course, little princess. Give the word, and we shall act upon it!
Right!

Are we seriously having a civil war battle right outside the door where Garon is residing? Wha...I...huh?

These men have employed cowardly tactics to hurt innocent people! They have destroyed the reputation of our beloved kingdom! They are traitors, and they will pay for the crimes with their lives!

"Hurry before daddy finds out about internal death fighting!"

This...THIS is Conquest's changing the kingdom within. A random final battle because the actual villain wasn't watching.

This map is super annoying because Iago has a special ability.

Staff Servant means he will permanently be able to cast debuff, Freeze, or mute my magics forever over most of this map every turn. Great.

Tae fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 9, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I consider this the true final boss because killing these two fucks is phenomenally cathartic

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Oh, we're finally putting these two assholes out of our misery now? 'Bout loving time.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 9, 2017

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I'd say it'd be OK to be killing these two off when Garon isn't looking, just... not this late in the game. I actually envisioned a "changing the kingdom from within" plot involving slowly calculating means to "accidentally" kill off these guys, shore up Garon's allies until the only ones alive leaned more towards Corrine than Garon.

But then again Corrine isn't that bright and the plot isn't either, is it? :smith:

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
So, this is, what, the third time they've caught these two away from murderdad* and now they decide to kill them. When they try to kill you for (possibly legit) treason. As opposed to the other time when they killed an entire town around them. Or the several other less justified murder attempts. Although they both seem like the kind of guys that have tried to kill everyone they meet at some point, so maybe that was just business as usual for them.

* For a given definition of 'away'. Hope he doesn't come out to see what all the noise is about.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

ungulateman posted:

imagine if Conquest had legitimately just been Spec Ops: Fire Emblem edition tho

Conquest seems like has all the framework for it. The problem is, they insist that Corrine, Azura, and Xander are these gosh darn swell guys who have to do mean poopy things to bring peace. It's not even that hard. Just show a few chapters in that Corrine and Azura's plan was horribly concieved. Because... Y'know, it was partially planned by a sheltered dingus, and by someone who would have only cared about showing Garon as a slime monster. As they cause more atrocities thanks to their actions, Corrine's confidence truly erodes over time, getting less and less confident in the plan, and questioning Azura more and more, before just snapping at her, calling her a callous idiot who didn't think a single thing through (Deflecting her blame in the process due to denial) and Azura tearfully responding that she really thought it would be easier. Of course, by that point, it's too late and the chair plan is all that's left.

The siblings too. Elise's "Yay, it'll be a vacation!" attitude falls to pieces when she's forced to help in these massacres, and gets yelled at by Garon or others when she even tries to cure the wounded. She's left heartbroken and tearful after every encounter, coping less and less. Camilla plays up the big sister act more and more, as well as the crazy Yandere stuff to cope. Leo... Dude really wants to help people, and he's watching someone he was trying to raise with compassion seemingly become the same kind of conquerer as his dad. He gets more and more critical of Corrin. Xander too, who would be the same as in the main game. By the end, he's disgusted by them, and would outright call out Xander and Corrine on their bullshit, calling them selfish cowards who wouldn't stop to save a civilian from being murdered if they weren't related to them. Hell, it would get to the point where Xander gets his "There is no justice" philosophy thrown back in his face by one of his siblings, as they call it his petty excuse for all the horrible things he's doing, and that the truth is that his honour crap is bullshit. Again, this is pure fanfic/wish fulfillment. But jaysus do I want it after sitting through this garbage! At least Corrine, Azura and Xander, loving idiots that they are would suffer consequences!

Which brings me to Conquest's other biggest issue. Now, I realised this earlier, but I think it's this chapter where it truly sets in.

The Nohrian siblings have not changed.

None of them. Not one has gotten character development until Iago and Hans tried to kill Corrine right in front of their faces. Throughout this entire sorrid campaign, not a single one has changed, grown, doubted themselves, lost ideals or ANYTHING, up until they get a chance to rip Iago's head off and melt off Hans' flesh because daddy isn't watching (Despite being in the other room and could easily hear this poo poo). Why? Because if they had development, that would get in the way of the plot where they need to see daddy is a sludge monster, rather than just a human monster. So their big changes of heart can't happen until then. poo poo, even the dynamic with Garon and Iago doesn't change! Garon doesn't seem to accept Corrine as a conquerer (OOPS HE'S A SLIME MONSTER, SO HE CAN'T SHOW ANY AFFECTION OR HUMAN MOMENTS TO GIVE HIM DEPTH), and Iago still hatches plans of the week to kill her, like he's loving Gargamel!

Okay yes, on Birthright, the Hoshidan siblings were basically static except for Takumi, whose development wasn't too amazing, but it was there. But they were barely flawed characters with less interesting personalities. Here? All the Nohrian siblings, as base concepts, are well defined, are flawed people, have an immediate connection and history with the protagonist, and are in a story that is (SUPPOSED) to be more complex and morally grey than Birthright, the standard heroes save the day plot. This was a story, that was the perfect chance, for these characters to develop, and we get NONE of it. The supports? Aren't part of the main story, or the same writing team, so they contribute nothing!

TL;DR: Conquest's plot is a dumpster filled with manure with a chemical fire inside.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I just want to say I am honestly surprised the writers are finally letting you do this.

I legitimately don't know what the hell was stopping you from doing this before, or why you couldn't have just shanked Garon instead of killing Ryoma, but hey, this game's writing sucks.

I am not even sure how the hell this would be fixed, but if it turns out Anankos tells Garon to smash the chair I am going to die laughing.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Ironically, the siblings get all the character development when you're on the other side. In Birthright, Elise helps you out despite being the enemy and dying for it, Leo realises that Nohr is in the wrong and decides to let you through a shortcut, Camilia is the first to try and convince Ganon to end the war, but is instead forced by Ganon to stop you to save her siblings, and Xander is Xander (in that he died honorless after all his talk about honor by killing Elise). In Conquest, Sakura fights with Yukimura to protect her kingdom instead of being the shy mouse, Hinoka abandons her hope of Corrine returning and mobilizes her army to kill you, Takumi, erm, jumps off a wall, and Ryoma threatens a small girl's life.

Ok, I have no way of making Ryoma and Xander look legit, but the rest did get development.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Conquest Takumi is the player asking why would someone who's father was murdered in cold blood, kidnapped, was locked up in a castle for like a decade, attempted multiple murders in a span of a day, blew up Hoshido, and killed your real mom would rejoin Nohr.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Tae posted:

Conquest Takumi is the player asking why would someone who's father was murdered in cold blood, kidnapped, was locked up in a castle for like a decade, attempted multiple murders in a span of a day, blew up Hoshido, and killed your real mom would rejoin Nohr.

The bolded part would be a legitimate reason if we hadn't seen Birthright.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I think we can all agree a better late game map would have been an escort map where you have to kill off such distractions as waiters, mailmen, and brightly colored objects while making sure Garon finally walks across a long hallway to that loving magic chair.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Tae posted:

This map is super annoying because Iago has a special ability.

Staff Servant means he will permanently be able to cast debuff, Freeze, or mute my magics forever over most of this map every turn. Great.
What.

What.

:psyduck:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Tae posted:

Because Elise is adorable.

That's it. That's the only reason I can come up with.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I beginning to think Garon wouldn't really give a gently caress if you went and offed Iago at any given moment, possibly right in front of him. Garon on Birthright didn't think very highly of him in the first place. A plan to quietly assassinate Garon's right hand man would aid a lot more in defeating him once and for all instead of the magical chair bullshit. You saw how quick Leo was on killing Zola. I'm sure the siblings wouldn't mind either.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I especially like how the reasoning is yet again that they disgrace nohr's noble reputation or whatever, when Hans and Iago seem to be exemplary nohrians. :allears:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

What.

What.

:psyduck:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

I'm pretty sure he also has a Hexing Rod on lunatic. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The biggest problem with the script is that they want you to play through as the leader of what would traditionally be The Bad Guys of a Fire Emblem game, but they still want to present the player's avatar as The Hero who is good/just/righteous/compassionate/etc., and consequently twisting the narrative into a convoluted Gordian knot to keep your character as unambiguously good as possible while still having all these bad things happen because you chose to side with the bad guys.

And since The Hero is good and kind and is full of respect for all life, no, you're not allowed to just up and merk the goddamn backstabbing chancellor and general who have done nothing but undermined your orders all game, and constantly attempted to either covertly kill you or called your loyalty into question to get Murderdad to order your death.

Oh, but now that they've overtly attempted to kill you while Daddy's back is turned? Well, now you can kill them with a clear conscience because this is self-defense and they've tarnished the honor of your proud and noble nation with their treasonous actions. :jerkbag:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Heaven Spacey posted:

Of course, after the previous chapter, this is going to seem perfectly reasonable.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I know that everyone's fixated on the Staff Savant skill but I think we're all missing the bigger cheat here, namely that Sorcerers can't use staves.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I know that everyone's fixated on the Staff Savant skill but I think we're all missing the bigger cheat here, namely that Sorcerers can't use staves.

"My Rules Are Not Your Rules" is pretty much a tradition at IS at this point.

See also every previous Fire Emblem/Advance Wars title,

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

He's just moved here from the DS games, it's perfectly legal there.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

One of the few things the game has at least kept constant is that Iago likes to use illusions and deception to achieve his goals. Cheating in weapon ranks should be a breeze for Iago.

Heaven Spacey posted:

He does indeed. Iago also adds Seal Strength to his skill list because gently caress you that's why.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:sigh:

Better late than never I guess? Actually no, way too late to salvage the plot
Why wasn't this map 6 of Conquest or something? Instead of 26th?
And drat Xander is a loving honourless coward.

(Iago's personal is utter BS and who the gently caress thought it was a good idea)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Omobono posted:

:sigh:

Better late than never I guess? Actually no, way too late to salvage the plot
Why wasn't this map 6 of Conquest or something? Instead of 26th?
And drat Xander is a loving honourless coward.

I think the best time to kill Hans would probably be either the end of Chapter 3 (literally the opposite end of the game from when it actually happens; yes, I know, that's before the route split, I don't care, it fits the scene and that's all that matters) or during or immediately after the Cheve incident (blaming it on him getting careless and underestimating the enemy, of course- seems perfectly in-character); not sure when would be a good time to get rid of Iago offhand (mostly because of his tendency to not actually be there like the cheating bastard he is), but while Fire Emblem tradition is for the Bad Guy's second-in-command to be one of the last bosses, narrativity dictates that if Iago, in particular, survives that long when you have continuous contact with him then they're doing it wrong and the protagonist is either an incompetent loser or flat-out evil. I mean, there's gotta be at least ONE time Iago's personally there while Garon isn't around to intimidate you into tolerating him, right? Preferably with a convenient excuse like the Hans one above, but I'm sure one of Corrin's lackeys can make something up if pressed (or am I giving them too much credit? I mean, they ARE following someone who can literally be outsmarted by mindless monsters).

Congratulations, Conquest Corrin. Half the cast of the game, both generic and named, is dead and it's all your fault because you couldn't bring yourself to execute an irredeemable war criminal until literally the end of the game. This is why pacifism in defiance of all reason doesn't work. At least Birthright Corrin had the excuse of not being able to CATCH them until endgame.

...hell, why didn't Leo do it FOR you? He's not usually the kind of guy who tolerates this sort of thing, he can probably make up an excuse to tell Garon about why his favorite murderers aren't reporting in (Hans got careless, and Iago was caught plotting a takeover or something?), and he's actually capable of killing them if he needs to (in-story, at least; your mileage may vary). How did they survive to endgame around a guy prone to executing war criminals on the spot? I feel like literally the only reasons they weren't killed before are the previously-mentioned compulsive need for them to die at endgame and no sooner even when that usually only happens because you don't meet them until then, an excuse to prevent you from recruiting pretty much anyone from the Hoshido route (which they really didn't need because why would they defect?), and to actively punish the player for choosing the "wrong" route somehow (never a good idea from a business perspective).

Really, I think that they probably could've cut out Conquest entirely and not actually lost anything worth having. This has been so stupid it HURTS pretty much from the route split; choosing Murderdad over Hoshido is actually Conquest Corrin's LIGHTEST offense somehow. How is it physically possible to frame it so that working for someone you KNOW is actively trying to kill you is one of someone's SMARTER moments?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an alternate solution would have been to give hans and iago more depth than wile e. coyote

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

This game would've been terrible without Conquest. Conquest is extremely fun and probably the most interesting difficulty we've had since Thracia while Birthright and Revelations are just insanely boring.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

I feel like literally the only reasons they weren't killed before are the previously-mentioned compulsive need for them to die at endgame and no sooner even when that usually only happens because you don't meet them until then, an excuse to prevent you from recruiting pretty much anyone from the Hoshido route (which they really didn't need because why would they defect?), and to actively punish the player for choosing the "wrong" route somehow (never a good idea from a business perspective).

From a narrative standpoint, the reason is because the player's avatar is supposed to be noble and honorable and just, and therefore you have to stoically endure Iago and Hans constantly screwing you over instead of doing the pragmatic thing and just having them killed and lying about the circumstances so that Murderdad doesn't split your head like a melon in retaliation. Because that's the kind of thing they would do, and if you stoop to their level to get rid of them, you're no better than they are, and we can't have the player avatar be morally ambiguous when they're supposed to be the hero and every choice they make is supposed to be framed as The Right Decision. :jerkbag:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

RevolverDivider posted:

This game would've been terrible without Conquest. Conquest is extremely fun and probably the most interesting difficulty we've had since Thracia while Birthright and Revelations are just insanely boring.

I was speaking solely from a narrative standpoint; that said, there is a difference between "difficult but fair" and "the game blatantly cheats, and even tells you how it's cheating just to mock you," and Conquest is definitely the latter. Trying to force a game I KNOW BEYOND A DOUBT is cheating to cooperate long enough for me to clear one stage does not sound fun to me.

W.T. Fits posted:

From a narrative standpoint, the reason is because the player's avatar is supposed to be noble and honorable and just, and therefore you have to stoically endure Iago and Hans constantly screwing you over instead of doing the pragmatic thing and just having them killed and lying about the circumstances so that Murderdad doesn't split your head like a melon in retaliation. Because that's the kind of thing they would do, and if you stoop to their level to get rid of them, you're no better than they are, and we can't have the player avatar be morally ambiguous when they're supposed to be the hero and every choice they make is supposed to be framed as The Right Decision. :jerkbag:

They seem to have overlooked how thoroughly it has been demonstrated as the WRONG decision; I mean, just offing Hans at the first opportunity would significantly reduce the death toll (never mind Iago), and Corrin has demonstrated that they're willing to deceive Garon in order to get things done; they just aren't smart enough to think of it themselves.

Really, there comes a point where NOT stopping someone is what brings you down to their level, rather than stopping them and lying about the circumstances later, and this game passed that point a long time ago; the only thing I can call Corrin's actions at this point is BLATANT ENABLING SECOND ONLY TO GARON. Really, when the only person who enables war criminals more than you is someone who actively ENCOURAGES them, there's something terribly wrong with the scenario.

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012
The story in conquest burned me out. I haven't even played up to this point and I don't know if I ever will.

They could've done so much with this, the story of the hero working with the "bad guys" and trying to do the right thing in the face of all this evil, but they went nowhere with it. The Chair was a stupid plan, it will ALWAYS be a stupid plan because it flies in the face of everything the character is supposed to stand for. They refuse to show any real struggle among the characters, especially the siblings and what is there is just complete garbage.

I know another Fire Emblem is in the works, I'm praying really hard that it's better than this piece of pond scum

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Only major change is Camilla changing into a Wyvern Lord. Getting a second Rally Defense is good, and the Bolt Axe is good enough still against non-mages.

Not only is Iago in range to throw annoyance at us, but this Maid is also in on the fun with her own debuff and freeze.

The Heroes generally have a mix of long range, silver weapons, and just about all of them carry Wyrmslayers. So Percy/Corrin are bad choices to take them on.

So the one trick to deal with Iago's stupid gimmick is that he goes down the list for his staff usage. So this turn, Enfeeble. Next turn is Freeze, then Silence, then repeat. So you can prepare yourself against some sudden Silence or Freeze effect that might screw you over.

A lot of turns will pass by of Xander and Effie slowly chipping away the mob of Heroes backed by Rally Defense, with chip damage by my ranged characters for EXP.

Many turns later, the group breaks through and Ophelia throws a demon head to eliminate the Maid.

Notable changes were Camilla learning Rally Defense and Laslow picking up Replicate.

Odin eliminates the last Hero, giving a double level up to himself and Soleil. Galeforce and Aggressor are picked up for them.

Corrine starts working on that door as she prepares herself to get Entrapped by that Maid, who has two Sorcerers ready to ambush.

This room has a ton of Sorcerers with two Maids that won't do anything until the door opens. One Maid has Enfeeble while the other has Freeze.

Ophelia charges in to eliminate the Entrap Maid once Corrine baited the ambush, then the rest of the group marches to the right side.

Laslow breaks the seal and the army charges in, wiping out the entire room in one turn.

Notables include Camilla learning Swordbreaker and Elise gained strength...?

Activating this Sorcerer room will get two more reinforcements from the stairs, but they're easily dispatched by Soleil and Selena.

Aurgelmir-S Rank, 22 might, 75 hit, 15 crit, After the battle, Strength is halved for the next attack

Hans has 32 speed and capped strength with pretty drat good skill, so he's obviously much tougher here than in Birthright. Counter with that high HP is also a bother, since on paper it's going to be difficult to reach him.

Keep in mind that aggroing him or those two nearby Generals will activate reinforcements.

I mean, you can buy Entrap staves for a reason.

This is what you get for not bowing down to my might!

No custom dialogue with Corrine. I'm disappointed, but you know that by this point.

Defeated? How?! No... It can't be... I was to be rewarded with power! So much...power...

Corrine finally finishes off 20+ chapters later with the move that should've done it in the first place.

There's the reinforcements. A little overview on that room full of so many enemies.

Generals have Wary Fighter and a mix of Spears and Beastkillers. The Zerkers generally have a Hammer. The Maids have Freeze.

Chest had a Venge Naginata, that bad counterattack weapon. Camilla takes down the lone Sorcerer before I get ready for The Great Formation battle.

Here's the plan for the next like 15 turns:

-Corrine with Leo support, Dragonstone equipped.
-Percy with Effie support switching between Hand Axe and Hammer.
-Camilla throwing in Rally Defense safely with Azura's help.
-Forrest and Elise healing safely with Physic staves.
-Soleil with Laslow support dealing safe and good damage thanks to Rally Support and the Spear/Tomohawk barely dealing damage in return.

Well, that took a while but the defensive battle was won.

Effie takes out one of the Maids and becomes the first to cap her level.

And Selena takes out the other one, getting to lvl 35 and picking up Awakening.

Excalibur-S rank, 12 might, 90 hit, 25 crit, -10 avoid, Effective against flying units, Defence and Resistance -5; follow up attack speed +5, enemy’s follow up attack speed +5

Now actually looking at Iago as a combat unit, he is absurdly powerful because of Excaliber. It's very risky to take him out in a normal fashion, because even my highest Resistance character with Rally Defense would be taken out by a crit.

Corrine vs. Iago

Are you ready to pay for your betrayal, Lady Corrine?
No, Iago, I am ready to kill you.
Oh my, how very frightening. I'm trembling! I am the highest-ranking general in the Nohrian army, you fool. Do you really think I'll be so easy to kill? But before you die, I have something to tell you.
A parting gift, if you will. It was I who sent the Faceless who killed that flying rat, Lilith.
What!?
Oh, and that's not all. It was I who suggested to King Garon that you be forced to kill Prince Ryoma. And I who told the enemy about your journey to Macarath. Did you enjoy my little gifts of sorrow? I put ever so much thought into them!
I will never forgive you for all that, Iago. Prepare to die!
Ha! So the imprisoned little princess fancies herself all grown up. The king ordered me to make you suffer without killing you...
But I can no longer comply. In order to see my plans to fruition, you must die! Say your prayers, Lady Corrine!

What plan. You literally never mentioned a plan beyond being Garon's pet.

King Garon, please...save...me..

This is a Seize mission, so there's some looting to do before the mission ends.

Bifröst-S rank, 1 use, Resurrects the last character who died in the current map

Bifröst revives a character at a limited scope. Good luck getting S rank staves though unless you spam it every single turn with Felicia/Jakob at this point.

The other chests are 20k gold and a Seraph Robe.

One last thing. There IS an entire left side of the room that I didn't bother doing. That room is full of Savage Blow Faceless and Stoneborn, which is the far more difficult map than the Sorcerers.

The treasure there is a Spy weapon, which is useless because my highest Shuriken/Bow user is B and I ain't raising it two ranks in half a mission.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

raisamike3 posted:

The story in conquest burned me out. I haven't even played up to this point and I don't know if I ever will.

They could've done so much with this, the story of the hero working with the "bad guys" and trying to do the right thing in the face of all this evil, but they went nowhere with it. The Chair was a stupid plan, it will ALWAYS be a stupid plan because it flies in the face of everything the character is supposed to stand for. They refuse to show any real struggle among the characters, especially the siblings and what is there is just complete garbage.

I know another Fire Emblem is in the works, I'm praying really hard that it's better than this piece of pond scum
The recently released Shadows of Valentia has been good (aside from some rough edges that mostly were in the original and carried forward), and shown that for the most part, Fates is this weird oddball of everything that could go wrong with it actually going wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Still not sure what the hell these assholes' plan was, why Garon didn't notice, or what was up, but they're dead and I'm happy.

• Locked thread