Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Like the one that that Puri Puri Prisoner has going for him is that he seems to be one of the only S-class heroes that gives 3/5ths of a poo poo about what happens to innocent civvies regardless if he thinks they're cute or not. Most of the rest of the S-class are either too into fighting or are psychotic assholes or secretly evil or are mute.

Are you sure that's not just Tatsumaki and Metal Knight? And Flash I guess he seemed like kinda an rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
People not liking and critiquing Prisoner isn't a scathing indictment of ONE's Bad Actually or """virtue signaling""". It's a genuine writing flaw of his that cheapens his work imo. It makes it feel even more juvenile in a series that is mostly mature, tackling duty and depressions in interesting ways. It makes me feel more than a bit weird about reading it and even more weird about reccomending it to friends. ONE can actually do Jokes, he's funny, but everything about Prisoner just reads as mocking and out of tone for me.

I'm not asking people to get angry about the character or boycott ONE, but if you can't see why others don't like it or are dead set on defending an offensive stereotype that has been used to mock minorities for decades, then I do not know what to tell you.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

ONE is who he is. You can call someone out about their poo poo and still enjoy their work. I mean, Darkshine is a golliwog doll on steroids and Tastumaki is pedo bait.

The problem with Puri Puri is that you're supposed to laugh at him but the jokes are a bunch of tired stereotypes and fears about homosexuality. It's boring especially in comparison to the previous chapter.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 8, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The hide your phone in your buttcrack stereotype is my favorite.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah Darkshine certainly has his own baggage, but he's always portrayed positively, as one of the strongest heroes, rightfully a bit arrogant, but still cares for people, like when he really gets worried that Genos will set Tatsumaki off and get destroyed.

His design is in poor taste, but Darkshine is the opposite of Prisoner, where I think he's actually cool and has more of a character we'll get too later

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Darkshine and Tatsumaki are both very good and cool characters, even if Murata hasn't gotten to the parts where they get their most focus yet.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ultimately, this is the fault of all the filler and we gotta get to the good stuff

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
u kno what doesnt have these kind of problems iirc?

mob psycho 100

makes u think

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
The first chapter of Mob Psycho 100 features the two male protagonists crossdressing as girls. That's both homo and transphobic.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

so many problematics

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That instance is a chapter halfway thru the manga and tho Guy In Girl Clothes is used as a lovely punchline, the bigger joke there is Reigen thinking that he, a dude in his late 20s would pass for a high schooler. tho I think someone calls Reigen some slurs? so yeah

It works for Mob tho and he's never shamed by the other characters and actually walks away from it more popular with the girls who want to be friends with this cool powerful new girl.

mob being more popular as a girl is pretty good tho so it hits as much as it misses I guess, I forgot about that

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 8, 2017

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Nobody has to keep reading for whatever reason they want really, and Puri-Puri Prisoner's behavior is a completely valid reason as any, if not even more so. And I think accusing people of ""virtue signalling"" the dumbest loving thing on this planet, basically an admission of having no argument to stand on.

I dunno, it's just that after 30 years of western stereotyping gays, eastern stereotyping feels like a breath of fresh air to me. Also it makes people I don't particularly like (GGers etc.) uncomfortable, so it's a double-bonus for me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

do NOT insult Arataka Reigen-sama in this thread

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Gay men are famous for wearing their cell phones in their butts. Blame society, not the man holding a mirror up to it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The cell phone thing probably wouldn't be as bad if every appearance of PPP wasn't "My sweet, sexy boys!". Like, he wouldn't be that bad of a characters if he weren't referring to his prison harem constantly.

e: I like PPP, for the record, but I find his primary bit to be exhausting.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i don't know i'd describe anything about him as constant, considering he shows up for a little bit once every three years or so.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I usually let my butt phone ring through the first time. I'm a busy guy, they'll call back if it's important. PPP treats every call as important, picks up immediately, have to admire that

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Is no one in here American? PPPrisoner can be the personification of what our prisons are supposed to represent and are 'joked' about; it's a place where we memory hole people and with the expectation that they will be treated to a violent and rapey time. Everyone is gay in prison. That Puri shows actual concern and apparent care for others is why he is a hero. He is a force of justice in the prison itself while adhering to the rules of that world.

Also he hides stuff in his butt.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Plek posted:

This is important - he's not hiding it, he just had nowhere else to put it.

Women can relate when they are not carrying a purse. There is simply no where else to hold a phone securely.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SpacePig posted:

The cell phone thing probably wouldn't be as bad if every appearance of PPP wasn't "My sweet, sexy boys!". Like, he wouldn't be that bad of a characters if he weren't referring to his prison harem constantly.

e: I like PPP, for the record, but I find his primary bit to be exhausting.

I think the cell phone in his butt thing is fine since he's a prisoner and that's a common (or at least commonly portrayed) way that prisoners hide poo poo. But it's ruined by every other aspect of his character being insanely offensive.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

SpacePig posted:

"My sweet, sexy boys!".

Oh my god, he's Griffen McElroy...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's been a while since I've seen the anime so I might be remembering wrong, but didn't it actually tone down some of the PriPriPrisoner stuff?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Elfface posted:

Oh my god, he's Griffen McElroy...

Oh, no! Maybe the prison is an actual, literal monster factory, and all of those sweet creations just got loosed on the world.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Raxivace posted:

It's been a while since I've seen the anime so I might be remembering wrong, but didn't it actually tone down some of the PriPriPrisoner stuff?

IIRC they left out the stuff about the prisoners being terrified of him and the implied rape.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Plek posted:

Is no one in here American? PPPrisoner can be the personification of what our prisons are supposed to represent and are 'joked' about; it's a place where we memory hole people and with the expectation that they will be treated to a violent and rapey time. Everyone is gay in prison. That Puri shows actual concern and apparent care for others is why he is a hero. He is a force of justice in the prison itself while adhering to the rules of that world.

Being viscerally terrified of gay men in a sexual sense, while maybe (hopefully...) a little dated in some areas, is as American as apple pie, or hiding a phone in your butt.

All jokes aside, regarding any lgbtq group as deviant sex fiends is so common that it's staggering that not only are some people upset that anyone cares about it, but are actively arguing that it doesn't exist??

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Like just yesterday Putin said he would use his Judo skills to fight off any gay men that tried to rape him in the shower not to say that tons Americans are terrified of trans people attacking everyone sexually in bathrooms. That character embodies some really bad slurs against lgbt people that cross a lot of different countries and cultures.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah having a gay guy hit on every dude around despite them being clearly uncomfortable with it and being too sexually friendly is a long running sterotype. Assholes have even used the sterotype to try and justify assaults against gay men.

Japan still seems fine with it unfortunately. It can prop up in good shows. Tiger and Bunny comes to mind.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Monaghan posted:

Yeah having a gay guy hit on every dude around despite them being clearly uncomfortable with it and being too sexually friendly is a long running sterotype. Assholes have even used the sterotype to try and justify assaults against gay men.

Japan still seems fine with it unfortunately. It can prop up in good shows. Tiger and Bunny comes to mind.

One Piece is pretty famous for that but it even just showed up in Persona 5 for basically no reason.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Ok I'll admit I was being a little dense, never read the bonus chapter with his prison antics so I was missing some reference. I still think some of the jokes PPP are part of are funny. I also can't help but chuckle every time his fights just turn into naked monster wrastlin.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Gay men are famous for wearing their cell phones in their butts. Blame society, not the man holding a mirror up to it.

This is true, I couldn't find my phone for days and it turns out my boyfriend hid it in his butt by mistake.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Radish posted:

One Piece is pretty famous for that but it even just showed up in Persona 5 for basically no reason.

One Piece is weird in that it 100% triples down on the stereotypes while also at the same time making the okama some of the most heroic and noble characters fighting for the freedom of everyone. And also their leader is Tim loving Curry, so clearly he is the hero in this situation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mulva posted:

One Piece is weird in that it 100% triples down on the stereotypes while also at the same time making the okama some of the most heroic and noble characters fighting for the freedom of everyone. And also their leader is Tim loving Curry, so clearly he is the hero in this situation.

Well, most of them at least. The one's on the island Sanji gets blasted off to kinda aren't portrayed as heroic or noble, in the slightest.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well, most of them at least. The one's on the island Sanji gets blasted off to kinda aren't portrayed as heroic or noble, in the slightest.

Don't they wind up helping the straw hats escape from the marines once they reunite? And I thought they chased Sanji because they assumed that he must be closeted, since he was on the island with them. I think they were mostly just portrayed as "well, these guys are different, but whatever." Again, not great or anything, but surprisingly better than what you could expect.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Don't they wind up helping the straw hats escape from the marines once they reunite? And I thought they chased Sanji because they assumed that he must be closeted, since he was on the island with them. I think they were mostly just portrayed as "well, these guys are different, but whatever." Again, not great or anything, but surprisingly better than what you could expect.

Maybe? I can't remember. Their initial scenes were absolutely awful though, especially after Bon Clay and Ivankov were pretty cool dudes, and it'd have to take a lot to redeem that.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Sexual preference in OPM doesn't seem to be a thing at all unless it's a primary character trait or related to powers - suiryu, puri puri and handsome mask, the bee monster and sexy whip monster lady are the only characters that have made their sexual preferences really known, in very overt and extreme ways. Saitama is probably ace, genos and king are indeterminate, even the tank top squad, sneck and licenceless rider - everyone is very single and ambiguous in their sexual preferences in general.

Also Puri puri's harem are all monsters or dead now too.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TowerofOil posted:

Ok I'll admit I was being a little dense, never read the bonus chapter with his prison antics so I was missing some reference. I still think some of the jokes PPP are part of are funny. I also can't help but chuckle every time his fights just turn into naked monster wrastlin.

If that's all PPP was, that's fine. It's the rape that makes him bad. Hiding a phone in his rear end, fighting while naked and being a weirdo is fine. Hell even if he was just promiscuous that'd still be okay. Not flattering representation but whatever, it's not worth getting the pitchforks out about. But him actively grooming and sexually assaulting people absolutely crosses the line. For the one gay character in the comic it definitely comes across as ONE suggesting, this is just how gay people are, lol. Because him being gay is pretty much his entire personality, there is really nothing else to the character. ONE is a much better writer than that so it's disappointing to see.

Ivankov isn't in the same boat at all considering the dude is noble as gently caress even if he is a stereotype. Also as mentioned, he's Tim Curry so he absolutely gets a pass. Bon Clay is cool too. The island stuff is bad but at least that's not the only example of what gay people are like in OP so that helps a great deal.

But yeah, the problem isn't whether or not a character is a stereotype. It's just there are some really repugnant and disgusting stereotypes that are really lovely and it would be nice to see otherwise very good writers not use them.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
"Boy, sure glad i missed that derail."

:yikes:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe? I can't remember. Their initial scenes were absolutely awful though, especially after Bon Clay and Ivankov were pretty cool dudes, and it'd have to take a lot to redeem that.

It's not like they really ever amounted to more than "group of people who freaked Sanji out so much that he spent 2 years running away from them." But I'm pretty sure their motivation was mistaken identity in a "Don't worry, you're among friends, join us!" way, rather than "let's sexually menace the normal!"

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I hope there's an omake where we learn that Free Hugs turned into Free Hugs because people were hugging them too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Goffer posted:

suiryu, puri puri and handsome mask, the bee monster and sexy whip monster lady are the only characters that have made their sexual preferences really known, in very overt and extreme ways. Saitama is probably ace