Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

RaySmuckles posted:

what sort of options does cleveland even have going forward?

aren't they capped to hell and back? if this team is getting swept by GS how are they going to improve themselves?

as for lebron going to LA, how could the Clippers even afford him? aren't they about to be (if not already) way over cap?

if you're over the cap doesn't that mean you can't sign FAs?

i secretly like the lebron to the spurs in 2018 rumors myself, but i don't think that's even remotely likely to happen, nor do i think the spurs would be interested in it. lebron is too dominant a personality to fit in a system that demands players shed their egos and do what they're told while being shouted at by pop. plus i think the spurs are trying to develop kawhi and having showtime lebron around might stunt his growth. on the other hand, if lebron intends on owning/running a team it might behoove him to go to SA and see how its done there. just a fun thought exercise. i doubt he ever leaves the east unless the cavs really are stuck at their ceiling and he gets tired of getting swept in the finals.

agreed the spurs would defs not be interested in signing the best player in the world. loving lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If Cleveland could somehow add a guy like Anthony Davis. But I don't think TT is enough to get that deal done.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Metapod posted:

i'm not sure what this offseason program dipo is on but it's showing great results

clenbuterol

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Dog posted:

agreed the spurs would defs not be interested in signing the best player in the world. loving lmao

:shrug:

i don't run a team. i could just see why there might be some hesitation to signing on GM lebron to a team where he'd be an anathema to their decades long system. it would be unlike anything the spurs have ever done for a multitude of reasons so i can see why there'd be reluctance to do it.

i mean, don't get me wrong, he's lebron which is why i like thinking about it, as i posted. but i can see why there'd be quite a few reasons not to bring him on when you already have kawhi leonard who is the next best thing to lebron. would lebron play at the 4? kawhi at the 2? i think the spurs would be better served pursuing other positions.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Metapod posted:

i'm not sure what this offseason program dipo is on but it's showing great results

I mean, yes some slimming but also danged if that trainer isn't using all the tricks in the book to make it look like a bigger change

on the right mouth slightly open in face-slimming pose, oiled up, slightly different and more intense lighting to bring out the abs, slightly lower angle with the camera

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Man a lot of dudes who are very good and funny on bball twitter are very not either on political twitter.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
WOB's petty warz POLITICAL analysis... YOU in????

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Dipo looking in perfect shape to stand in the corner watching RW to go work

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Zogo posted:

It's hard to be objective by just watching. The numbers help a lot.

Some counting stats are useful. System and coaches are overrated. We've seen a decade of people insulting Mike Brown and now look what he's done. Players are the underrated ones. People would be bowing down to Hoiberg right now on GSW.

Not everyone in the league will be doing it (league averages aren't primary when discussing innovation as it will take the league averages longer to climb) but you can be sure the best players will gather together once again in the 2020s and 2030s. I could see champion teams of the future where every single player was a legit 3P threat. Zaza and Livingston aren't going to launch a bunch this finals. More teams are improving their 3P shooting and taking it to new heights:

I think you're talking about something different than I am completely and frankly I don't know what it is. The next innovation after the current wave of increased screening and 3pt shooting is...more people will be good at 3pt shooting? They will be on the same team more often? I'm not talking about the current direction of the league, and I'll grant that my question was a bit silly because of course no one knows the answer, but this is just a non sequitur.

Similarly with the Mike Brown thing, you're just misunderstanding what's happening. Mike Brown didn't create or install a system in GS. No one is "bowing down" to him let alone a hypothetical other coach of the same players. Hell, people are hesitant to crown Kerr a top coach because he's in a bit of a Doc Rivers situation where he has the most talent and his defense was heavily influenced by an assistant (who was a former assistant of the same guy who worked for Rivers, you've possibly heard of him). I'll pull a Zogo and declare myself right about an unproveable hypothetical: had Mike Brown been hired as head coach of the Warriors in May 2014 rather than Steve Kerr, they would currently have 0 rings, no Kevin Durant, and Steph Curry would never have been MVP. Guaranteed.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I hope LeBron goes to the warriors. Let's double and triple down on this super team business. What does Golden State have to give up to fit in porzingis Or KAT?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The LA in question is actually the Lakers. You heard it here first folks

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

AggressivelyStupid posted:

NBA Y2K was right

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Away all Goats posted:

I hope LeBron goes to the warriors. Let's double and triple down on this super team business. What does Golden State have to give up to fit in porzingis Or KAT?

A protected first and James Michael MacAdoo.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

NBA Y2K was right

Such an incredible series I wish he'd do it again

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

i thought he was interested in winning?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

you read it wrong it said LA as in Louisiana. Bron Brow and Boogie together

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

you read it wrong it said LA as in Louisiana. Bron Brow and Boogie together

The Killer B's resurrected once again!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Re: Lebron leaving. What I can see happening is the Cleveland ownership gave a timeline in which they would post repeater tax until they had to get under it. Lebron might have a amicable exit plan already that let's him join another team for the last phase of his career while letting Cleveland reset.

If Cleveland keeps spending the money they are spending they will be owing $100+ million in tax in a few years and I can't imagine that can last.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lockback posted:

Re: Lebron leaving. What I can see happening is the Cleveland ownership gave a timeline in which they would post repeater tax until they had to get under it. Lebron might have a amicable exit plan already that let's him join another team for the last phase of his career while letting Cleveland reset.

If Cleveland keeps spending the money they are spending they will be owing $100+ million in tax in a few years and I can't imagine that can last.

Melo
LeBron

that's right...five alphas

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

By the way Spurs theory crafters

https://mobile.twitter.com/poundingtherock/status/872799315445633024

My buddy who's the #1 Spurs fan I know wants to dump Tony and go after Chris Paul but my opinion is that someone who is as much a part of the franchise's success as TP gets to decide when and how he retires. Am I overly sentimental here?

Also he looked amazing in the playoffs before he got injured, how come-back-fromable is whatever he did to his leg?

zoux fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 9, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

R.D. Mangles posted:

Melo
LeBron

that's right...five alphas

Alpha 5? Aye yai yai.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

zoux posted:

My buddy who's the #1 Spurs fan I know wants to dump Tony and go after Chris Paul but my opinion is that someone who is as much a part of the franchise's success as TP gets to decide when and how he retires. Am I overly sentimental here?

i'd think of this contract as back pay for all the discounts he's given them over the years but that's just me

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

zoux posted:

Also he looked amazing in the playoffs before he got injured, how come-back-fromable is whatever he did to his leg?

yeah, gently caress tony parker

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It would be fantastic if the Spurs give Bruce Bowen the hall of fame treatment but treat Parker like dirt.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'd bring back Tony Parker again and again if I'm the Spurs but for the vet minimum. He's replacement level now and by that I actually do mean a guy from the D-League I've never heard of.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

BWV posted:

Going to work out with Zydrunas Ilgauskas is going to become the new Hakeem

Who can they go to to be a :killdozer:?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd bring Tony back as long as he takes the late super discount Timmy and Gino did, and as long as Pop can make him cry in the shower again.
imo unless we actually get CP3 somehow it's time to throw Dejounte into the fire and see how it works.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

zoux posted:

I wouldn't say so. The downside to free agency is fewer people staying with one team for a career. For someone who has brought greatness to a franchise, they absolutely should get that consideration.

Besides, if he sticks around the Warriors can show him what traveling to that house of horrors was like.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the Cavs somehow need to shake the TT max and the Shump/JR contracts, all it takes is a few dumb teams

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

unless they get a comparable defensive big back(and theres very few and most of them arent on much better contracts than TT) idk why they would dump TT. one bad series does not invalidate him as a player. hes great

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
As long as he dates Khloe it's just going to get worse from here on out

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Carlosologist posted:

the Cavs somehow need to shake the TT max and the Shump/JR contracts, all it takes is a few dumb teams

If they dumped all three of those guys they'd basically be at the salary cap next year and not able to sign anyone. They need to shed $60 million before they could afford to sign a max free agent.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zogo posted:

Through three games:

code:
GmSc	Player
92.1	Kevin Durant
84.3	LeBron James
78	Stephen Curry
46.9	Kevin Love
45.8	Kyrie Irving
39.5	Klay Thompson
25	Andre Iguodala
21.5	Draymond Green
11.1	Shaun Livingston
10.5	Kyle Korver
10.5	Tristan Thompson
9.8	David West
9.5	JaVale McGee
9	Dahntay Jones
8.9	Iman Shumpert
8.7	Ian Clark
6.9	Richard Jefferson
5.5	J.R. Smith	
2.9	James Michael McAdoo
2.4	Zaza Pachulia
2.3	Derrick Williams
2	Matt Barnes
1.8	Patrick McCaw
0.5	Channing Frye
-0.4	James Jones
-6.1	Deron Williams
LBJ in danger of not having the highest GmSc in the finals since 2011 when Wade was #1.

Lowest Finals GmSc since 1978:

code:
-2.6	Rudy Tomjanovich	1981
-2.7	Frank Brickowski	1996
-3.1	Jason Caffey		1997
-3.3	Chris Jent		1994
-3.5	Chris Childs		1999
-3.5	Mychal Thompson		1991
-3.9	Larry Hughes		2007
-4.1	Vincent Askew		1996
-4.4	Sasha Vujacic		2009
-4.6	Jacque Vaughn		1998
-5	Dwight Jones		1983
-5.8	Shelden Williams	2010
-6.1	Deron Williams		2017
Deron Williams in danger of putting up the worst overall Finals performance in forty years.

deron Williams is a cursed loser and it makes me sad

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

he'd be a perfect off the bench guy and mentor to dejounte (he's even signaled that how he sees the future- new manu off the bench)

give him a small but respectable contract. he's earned it and thats how the spurs do

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

mastershakeman posted:

deron Williams is a cursed loser and it makes me sad

Paul Pierce summed him up.

quote:

“Before I got there, I looked at Deron as an MVP candidate,” Pierce told ESPN.com’s Jackie MacMullan. “But I felt once we got there, that’s not what he wanted to be. He just didn’t want that.

“I think a lot of the pressure got to him sometimes. This was his first time in the national spotlight. The media in Utah is not the same as the media in New York, so that can wear on some people. I think it really affected him.”

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Lockback posted:

If they dumped all three of those guys they'd basically be at the salary cap next year and not able to sign anyone. They need to shed $60 million before they could afford to sign a max free agent.

lol they're screwed, I get why Lebron is floating the leave narrative once again. TT and Irving have been are relative disappointments, they ain't gonna carry old LeBron to jack poo poo. I appreciate that Kyrie choose style over substance through. Steph just teabagged your homecourt.

I kinda wonder what will happen once Lebron loses his skills, will he be able to relinquish control and be a role player? He'll prob just retire right?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Femur posted:

lol they're screwed, I get why Lebron is floating the leave narrative once again. TT and Irving have been are relative disappointments, they ain't gonna carry old LeBron to jack poo poo. I appreciate that Kyrie choose style over substance through. Steph just teabagged your homecourt.

I kinda wonder what will happen once Lebron loses his skills, will he be able to relinquish control and be a role player? He'll prob just retire right?

Unless he has early onset dementia, he'll be able to play as a Magic style pass-first guard for a very long while if he wishes to go that route instead of just flat out retiring

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
You mean loses his athleticism? I dunno if skills disappear with age

and yeah CBM is right move him to the one and he plays til 45

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

EvanTH posted:

You keep going out of your way to insult Westbrook and it's super weird

Russ is a fraud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I'm not sure there's any move for either Lebron or the Cavs to get better. I don't know where Lebron can go that could reasonably sign him to a max and beat the Warriors.

• Locked thread