Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Atleast I don't have to travel far for the indy 500 :unsmith:

also don't have to travel far when I race at IMS next month:unsmigghh:

OhsH fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I raced indoor karts today and I'll have you know my inbred rear end is pretty OK at right and left turns.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
pics or not true

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

There are a couple K1Speeds near me. They scratch the itch since I have no space for a kart.

Also, the closest "mountain" to me is a glorified garbage pile.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I was only .002 off my friends best time and he has a weight advantage to this goony rear end so I pretty much won.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Feels Villeneuve posted:

In New England, 2 inches is a powder day. New England is all about skiing in the rain on ungroomed ice and liking it.

I'm late to the party here with Ski Talk, but as someone who skis in Vermont consistently each winter, I can first-hand confirm this sad pathetic fact. :smithicide:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I want to go to Mt. Bachelor in Oregon. Skiing 360 degrees from the summit on a perfectly formed cinder-cone volcano.

HOLY GOOD gently caress THIS PLACE LOOKS UNREAL.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 9, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GramCracker posted:

I'm late to the party here with Ski Talk, but as someone who skis in Vermont consistently each winter, I can first-hand confirm this sad pathetic fact. :smithicide:

Sorry about your awful winter last year. I grew up skiing Cannon which is a motherfucker of a mountain to learn on.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The rear bumper fell off the kart lol

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
for fucks sake you dont have backup zipties in place for this?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Are you literally racing in a pile of garbage?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

OhsH posted:

for fucks sake you dont have backup zipties in place for this?

Nah, probably should going forward.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

This is literally fine compared to the state it was in when I originally bought it.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
it'll keep you from getting black flagged and dq'd mid race, so, yeah, highly recommended.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

About three months into owning the kart a bolt on the mount bracket sheered into the engine block. No big deal, take it to my dad's and we tap it out. Go to put the bolts back in and they bottom out like a centimeter before even starting to clamp the bracket. This was the kind of poo poo I had to deal with all my first year of karting.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I am suddenly very grateful that the only thing my 600$ kart has fucky is metric everything except the american SAE sprocket, and the fuckin idiot put the brake caliper bolts in reverse, making it hell to dick with that poo poo.

oh also a gently caress ton of axle play leading towards the brakes rubbing, but that poo poo got handled first weekend.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My home state is literally called Mountain. If you haven't skied Big Sky, you're missing out.

Now I'll go back to waiting until there's 500 posts to catch up on the thread, only to post something off topic when done!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Wirth1000 posted:

If that's the case, I think it's Fernando posting...

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Sorry about your awful winter last year. I grew up skiing Cannon which is a motherfucker of a mountain to learn on.

My buddies and I do day trips from CT to Stratton most weekends (pending snow condition). I've never been to Cannon and just peep'd the map, looks kinda fun tbh

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
if its true that you really managed to turn right then heaven help us and I accept our new overlords, Ferrari-Haas

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Growing up I broke two different bones skiing and my parents were too cheap to buy a helmet. Might explain my proclivity to go zooming round at 60mph in a lovely gokart with bits falling off.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I only drive ovals clockwise.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
You guys are making me want to get into karting but my only options are spending a ton of money on an actual go-kart or doing something like K1 speed.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

keevo posted:

You guys are making me want to get into karting but my only options are spending a ton of money on an actual go-kart or doing something like K1 speed.

I can't find poo poo on Craigslist right now except stupid off road karts.

Also, a local kart place to me does $60 all-you-can-race from 6pm to close M-F. I show up as close to 6 as possible and tell them to put me in back-to-back sessions until they kick me out of the building. Makes the 45 minute drive home reeeeaaal interesting.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

keevo posted:

I got a two stroke one for $3k and OhsH said he got his for $600. Its way cheaper than you think dude.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I literally pay $400 a year and I get a key to the track. I have zero clue why anybody here does autocross.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Chassis 600, engine 800. Lo 206 is the way to race cheaply (for racing).

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Michael Schumacher swore me off skiing forever. Also avalanches.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I paid $100 less for my engine with triple the horsepower. Seems like bad value for money imho. :colbert:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
For those Worst Thread posters in the US, where the hell do you buy this poo poo? Not that I need to buy my own kart or anything.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Somebody i race with spent 2.2k rebuildinv their TaG engine.

Ive got 20 hours on my engine and im still top 10 outta 50 and within a second of a national champ.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

OhsH posted:

Somebody i race with spent 2.2k rebuildinv their TaG engine.

Rotax engines are sealed and the rebuilds cost between $900 and $1400 depending on if the bottom end needs to be redone. Admittedly its going to cost more than Briggs but I don't think its this giant gulf everyone makes it out to be, especially with a sealed engine formula.

GramCracker posted:

For those Worst Thread posters in the US, where the hell do you buy this poo poo? Not that I need to buy my own kart or anything.

Find a local kart club and post a wanted ad on their forums, that's what I did.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
what 1500 says is exactly the same for Australia. Here in Melbourne you pay what he said and you get a key to the track under the West Gate Bridge. This one: http://www.gkcv.com.au/

In Aussie money 5k and you're good to go, and that includes a suit and helmet and stuff.

Anyways I forgot to say.. this year I'm going to the Singers GP also. Two in one year, that'll be a first. My mate just moved there and we've organised a group trip from Aus. Bring it, last time in Singapore!

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
How often are the front runners rebuilding, if you know. I really cant say i have much knoweldge of my tracks 2 strokers, i am p sure my 2.2k rebuild boys had major issues from a crash loving it to hell and back.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GramCracker posted:

My buddies and I do day trips from CT to Stratton most weekends (pending snow condition). I've never been to Cannon and just peep'd the map, looks kinda fun tbh

Kinsman Glade is the hardest trail on the entire east coast. Steep trees, and it just goes on forever.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

OhsH posted:

How often are the front runners rebuilding, if you know. I really cant say i have much knoweldge of my tracks 2 strokers, i am p sure my 2.2k rebuild boys had major issues from a crash loving it to hell and back.

On the sharp end like every other race weekend for the kids in rotax seniors, but our club is loving insane with two drivers that have won national events and dads setting out three spec carbs measuring with engineering calipers to see which is best. In Rotax masters its like twice a year for the high rollers and once a year for everybody else.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Fair enough. 2 strokes and shifters are things id love to just have a day in, but to race them competitivly just seems like way more of a money pit than i have to burn.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
the two stroke without the shifter, that's the 125 class I want it and it's just kinda a step above entry level. Surely you can go and rent a two stroke somewhere, go and search for it. Warning: If you haven't done that before you're going to be disappointed when you go back!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Its definitely not a step above entry level. They're difficult to maintain and costly if you don't know what you're doing. I'm pretty decent at wrenching and my dad was a licensed mechanic and we basically spend the entire first year trying to get the loving thing to run more than five laps. If you know what you're doing you can cut some costs out like I do but there is a performance hit for doing so.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't actually owned one yet, I defer to your experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

:trumppop:

• Locked thread