Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Of course I need an induction range to cook boxed mac and cheese, how else could it be done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That's exactly what I like about it. Welcome to my kitchen laboratory, today we are making frozen pizza :science:
I would at least want different edges or a lighter color or some texture or SOMETHING that doesn't make me nervous about not having memorized valence electron numbers

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Anne Whateley posted:

I would at least want different edges or a lighter color or some texture or SOMETHING that doesn't make me nervous about not having memorized valence electron numbers

What if I wrote LIVE LAUGH LOVE on all the appliances

Incidentally, googling for illustrations of the concept led me to this horror:

HI WELCOME TO MY PINK LIVING ROOM I KNOW A DEAD PERSON DO YOU KNOW ANY DEAD PEOPLE WE'LL ALL DIE SOMEDAY WANNA DO DECOUPAGE WITH THESE OLD MAGAZINES I PUT ON THE FLOOR?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

HI WELCOME TO MY PINK LIVING ROOM I KNOW A DEAD PERSON DO YOU KNOW ANY DEAD PEOPLE WE'LL ALL DIE SOMEDAY WANNA DO DECOUPAGE WITH THESE OLD MAGAZINES I PUT ON THE FLOOR?

I can't decide if the eye-searing pink or the inanity of the quote or the jarring font mismatch offends me most. It's just so... loving... painful to look at.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have a great room with an 18' ceiling, I'm thinking the bottom half is going to be shiplap, the top half will be fine-print wallpaper applied directly to brick veneer, and I'll do a LIVE LAUGH LOVE like 65% across the border between the two but it'll be in comic sans with some exceptionally bad kerning in a couple places and maybe a couple letters juuuuuuust a touch off kilter.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah that soap stone looks great. It's not like... soft? Doesn't scratch or damage easily? The 2nd white picture is really my jam, other than the stools.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Soapstone is awesome, and if you're a super nerd, you can even get acid-resistant bench tops.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

I'm having trouble reading that quote as meaning anything other than "now that that rear end in a top hat is dead, we've finally got some peace around here."

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Does soapstone change color when wet?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Progressive JPEG posted:

Not that I've seen. The reason soapstone is used for lab tables and herbivorous dinosaur dream kitchens is it's incredibly dense and non-porous.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Progressive JPEG posted:

It depends on whether you oil it or not. I've got soapstone counters and they are the loving best. No need to seal them or anything, they don't crack or etch, you can put hot pans right on the counters... the goddamn best. But yeah it's personal preference whether or not you like a darker, shiny finish to them. They'll develop a bit of a patina on their own over the years, but lots of people like to speed up that process by putting food safe oil on them like what you'd use on butchertop. If you do that, it looks the same as when they're wet- darker and shiny. Otherwise, they're matte and a little lighter in color. But they won't darken PERMANENTLY from water. It dries right up.

As for formal dining rooms, that was a must-have when we were house hunting. We have a lot of dinner parties and really do need the space to extend the dining table all the way. But most places we were looking at would have that- old houses in Chicago pretty much always have a dining room and a tiny kitchen unless they've been gut rehabbed to have an ~open floor plan~

Where I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, it was all newish construction and huge eat-in kitchens, so having that plus a dining room definitely would have been seen as unnecessary and pretentious to most. So regionalism probably plays a big part with this.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm absolutely in love. Sorry about the mess and I definitely need to vacuum but eeeeee

Someone buy my dumb ikea couch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nice lamp but the rest of the room looks like a student dorm. That door needs serious cleaning or painting. But yeah, real nice lamp! Is that where it's going? Trying to get rid of one of those sofas?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 9, 2017

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Melicious posted:

As for formal dining rooms, that was a must-have when we were house hunting. We have a lot of dinner parties and really do need the space to extend the dining table all the way. But most places we were looking at would have that- old houses in Chicago pretty much always have a dining room and a tiny kitchen unless they've been gut rehabbed to have an ~open floor plan~

Where I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, it was all newish construction and huge eat-in kitchens, so having that plus a dining room definitely would have been seen as unnecessary and pretentious to most. So regionalism probably plays a big part with this.

I mean, if you're a person who entertains, you probably are going to seek out a larger house anyway, where having a formal dining area makes sense, and isn't just a part of the living room that you jammed extra furniture too.

But I grew up outside Detroit and our house was older and definitely had a formal dining plus giant eat in kitchen, and most of the newer houses (like 70s-80s built) had separate dining areas but not eat-in kitchens. Was there a trend for bigger kitchens/no separate dining areas in newer homes?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm absolutely in love. Sorry about the mess and I definitely need to vacuum but eeeeee

Someone buy my dumb ikea couch.
Is that a Klippan? I'm 99% sure I have that same dumb couch, just with a red cover & fewer pillows crowding it.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Haifisch posted:

Is that a Klippan? I'm 99% sure I have that same dumb couch, just with a red cover & fewer pillows crowding it.

It's the solsta. I put my rooms together with what I had and what I could afford at the time and also was in the middle of depression and craving clutter to keep me happy. Purging now and this is the second room to get a make over. i just finished my bedroom. I also only have two standard closets for storage so that's a fun challenge.

Again I rent so I can't do anything about the carpet except clean it and maybe put a rug down. I hate carpet and despise this color. Even if I offered to pay for new floors I think my landlord wants to keep carpet in this "bedroom".

And I've tried cleaning that outside door! I don't know what the gently caress is on it to make dirt stick like that. I'm completely frustrated. If anyone has any tips. I have clay soil.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 9, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Did you try a magic eraser? If that didn't work, I would probably just paint it tbh, couldn't get worse. And does that mean the external door opens into this bedroom?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I mean, if you're a person who entertains, you probably are going to seek out a larger house anyway, where having a formal dining area makes sense, and isn't just a part of the living room that you jammed extra furniture too.

But I grew up outside Detroit and our house was older and definitely had a formal dining plus giant eat in kitchen, and most of the newer houses (like 70s-80s built) had separate dining areas but not eat-in kitchens. Was there a trend for bigger kitchens/no separate dining areas in newer homes?

I'm trying to think of a single person I grew up with who had a formal dining room and I'm drawing a blank. My grandparents did, but their house was giant and older than most of the houses I spent time in (it was built in the 70s, most of the subdivisions my friends lived in were built in the 80s and 90s). For sure eat-in kitchens or L-shaped living/dining rooms are, in my experience, pretty typical of newer construction as opposed to a separate dining room.

Open floor plans were a super cutting edge mid-century concept, but have really taken over the last 30 years. Older houses have doors and thresholds all over the place, but where I grew up in ranch/condoville, it was all about the "great room." Here in Chicago, all the new construction (as well as every drat gut rehab) is all open space. I'm forever a fan of separate rooms, personally, if only for the chance to change paint colors :toot:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

I have a great room with an 18' ceiling, I'm thinking the bottom half is going to be shiplap, the top half will be fine-print wallpaper applied directly to brick veneer, and I'll do a LIVE LAUGH LOVE like 65% across the border between the two but it'll be in comic sans with some exceptionally bad kerning in a couple places and maybe a couple letters juuuuuuust a touch off kilter.

And plastic sheeting on the floor, I assume? Or does that ruin the surprise.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Bad Munki posted:

I found a wallpaper just for you:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Haifisch posted:

tag self im sad fan

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm a goldmine of vapidity.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I'm a goldmine of vapidity.

*checks queue history*

i've seen worse

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haifisch posted:

im the weird coaxial cable port in the wall in tyool 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm the plant trying to escape out the door.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

I'm the Winchester Mystery House number of oddly placed staircases in that house.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Turtlicious posted:

im the weird coaxial cable port in the wall in tyool 2017

What do TVs use in your area? Or is this a "who had cable these days" thing?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Anne Whateley posted:

Did you try a magic eraser? If that didn't work, I would probably just paint it tbh, couldn't get worse. And does that mean the external door opens into this bedroom?

I'll try those next I forgot they existed. If not then I'm not opposed to painting it. I'm touching up the trim too.

Yes it leads to my back yard and gets a bunch of traffic from me, the dogs and guests.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Just got done reading through this after the females-have-all-the-power-and-i-ruined-my-floor-joists thread. What a journey.

Earlier this year my GF (fiancee after this trip) drove up to Queensland because we thought we'd see the reef before the Australian government let it die. We stayed in a tiny town called Miles on the way back and stayed in a place that was repurposed as holiday cabins from old Air Force bunkers used during WW2. Big concrete blocks that were set in to the earth because it gets pretty loving hot during the summer. But the things hadn't been updated at all since they were originally set up for people to stay, and everything in there was immaculate and very well looked after. There were even old magazines from the 60s and 70s still in there. I'd love to go back just to stay in these rooms, but there isn't really anything to do in or near that place. We only chose it because it was exactly halfway between our previous stop over and our final destination.

The kitchenette was spotless. The countertops didn't even have scratches or marks or anything. Probably because of the plastic over the breakfast bar thing.

You can see the dividing wall running down the centre. One side had the queen bed and the shower, the other had the kitchen and extra beds.

This was taken from the outside, there was a little sunroom with some chairs and a bookcase. The toilet was also in this area.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
^^^
Quonset hut house is dope.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/az/concho/669-county-road-8235-stanford/pid_18337473/

quote:

Contemporary eccentric full log sided custom home on 20+/- acres for the cat fancier! If you love cats this is the home for you! If not bring your sandblaster! Custom build, hardwood kitchen cabinets (Oak, Lacewood, and Bocote) artistically accented with river rock. Cat walkways and in great room Medieval cat castle with different levels (stone). All interior doors custom built (wood). Must see to believe it does exist!!! Once in a lifetime find extremely fun home!

Well I tell you what I loving love cats, like volunteer weekly at the cat shelter and have a cat instagram love cats, and this house is hideous. That being said, built in cat walkways would be fun.

There are 41 pictures in that listing and each is worse than the last. I wonder how many cats lived there, and how much it smells like pee.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

^^^
Quonset hut house is dope.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/az/concho/669-county-road-8235-stanford/pid_18337473/

Well I tell you what I loving love cats, like volunteer weekly at the cat shelter and have a cat instagram love cats, and this house is hideous. That being said, built in cat walkways would be fun.

There are 41 pictures in that listing and each is worse than the last. I wonder how many cats lived there, and how much it smells like pee.

If cats made horror movies, this is what the scary house would look like.

When cats drop acid and have a bad trip, this is what they see.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

It's like one of those "LOL HOW RANDOME" Doom maps where someone just replaced all the textures with cat photos. I'm sure it cost a fortune to get all of that done. I'm also pretty sure it would be like moving in to Pintrest.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

There's a huge difference between designing a room for the benefit of your cats and designing a room for the benefit of your cat fandom. One can be done non-hideously, with effort, and improves the quality of life of at least one creature in the home. The other is... this thing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What do TVs use in your area? Or is this a "who had cable these days" thing?

I don't know anyone who still has a cable box / satellite.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

... most people have cable and cable internet. gotta have a coax to make either of those things happen...

you feelin alright?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Also builders aren't going to skip putting a coax port in just because a few people might not use it. The most hassle it can cause is making you hide it behind furniture.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If she tells you to do lines then don't be a hero, go straight to McGonagall.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Shamelessly crossposting from the Crappy Construction thread:

Lime Tonics posted:

hair stairs,

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

So how many times has the owner slipped on those? My money's on at least once a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Does the carpet match the stair runners?