Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tomarse posted:

its at 7pm near a cemetery

"I push for maximum sentencing m'lord, there were bodies everywhere!"

So how do people deal with depressive cycles round here when the weather gets too bad to get into the garden or on the bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

So how do people deal with depressive cycles round here when the weather gets too bad to get into the garden or on the bike?

Eat chocolate digestives and get very tubby.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pick up heavy things and put them down again.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Staying in bed all day, and then excessive alcohol and risk taking behaviors at night

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spog posted:

Eat chocolate digestives and get very tubby.

Are you spying on me?

Liquid Communism posted:

Pick up heavy things and put them down again.

Heavier than digestives?

The Door Frame posted:

Staying in bed all day, and then excessive alcohol and risk taking behaviors at night

Work all day, don't want to slip into casual drinking again. No motivation to do anything after the kids are put to bed.

E: if I cleared the garage a but I'd have space to put the bike on the trainer or lift, I'll aim for that

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

stump posted:

I'm assuming it was a camera van like this, so it would be more stable than a guy with a hairdryer but I mostly agree. From what I understand 1km is the maximum range they can be used, but seeing as they have to spot and target you first its less likely they would get you at that distance.

Tomarse, I think Dave is right that you will probably just get 3 points, so it likely isn't worth fighting, but if you wanted to PePiPoo might be worth a look - it has a better signal to noise ratio than pistonheads.

As I said - they got me at 367 metres. Judging from the picture quality I would guess that on a long straight road they could get you from a lot further away.

However - you cant see the driver or read the plate in the one that I was clocked at in the distance, they have used 2 later closeup photos for that - I could have turned off and been free - so if you see a van in the distance and think it got you then turn off immediately before they can see you!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I may have gotten stung last night by the cameras on those 'smart' motorways. Hoping not because loving giving money away for driving safely on a motorway.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Sadi posted:

How do you like the roof top tent? I think they look cool bit I don't like the idea of having to break camp anytime I want to go somewhere, and I feel like being surrounded by air on all sides would make them super cold in the winter.

The tents pretty awesome- you dont really feel that cold in it, but because its more like a standard bed than a camping bed (the floor itself is 1" thick insulating foam sandwiched between composite, then ive got a 100mm thick self inflating mattress, a woollen underlay and then a big down doona quite often you find yourself getting too hot and having to throw a limb out, even if its -4 or 5 outside) its quite comfortable. Theres only been one or two nights when we had to wear warm clothes to bed, but thats when it was cold enough to freeze a cup of coffee on a bullbar a meter off the ground solid and throw frost to the top of 10m high trees.

The breaking camp thing can be a pain in the dick, but in reality it takes about 15 mins to pack up and you can go from driving to in bed in under 5 minutes if you dont want to put the little wings over the windows up.

slothrop posted:

What's the headspace like up there? I can't remember how tall you made the shed.

Not too bad, you can comfortably move around at a crouch at its highest point and if your sitting down at the walls your heads still a fair way off the roof. The Mezzanine has a ceiling under it at 2300mm, its about 150mm thick and the walls on the shed are 3300 and the peak just over 4000mm, so you get a fair bit of room to move around without it being an enormous pain in the dick.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQpgliX1pRE

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

As I said - they got me at 367 metres. Judging from the picture quality I would guess that on a long straight road they could get you from a lot further away.

However - you cant see the driver or read the plate in the one that I was clocked at in the distance, they have used 2 later closeup photos for that - I could have turned off and been free - so if you see a van in the distance and think it got you then turn off immediately before they can see you!
Remember kids, failure to correctly display a numberplate is £100 and no points.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't want to start a new thread for this yet so here will work for now.

Two years ago I suggest an AI Rally around the country. But we needed a disposable car to do it in. Well now I have this PT Cruiser and should it survive until next spring, I want to give the rally a shot. We'll have to work on logistics (insurance and whatnot) but basically I drive 3-400 miles to the next Goon, hand off the car and then catch a ride home, documenting the entire experience with a dashcam and blog posts. The next goon does the same until the car burns up or it makes it through every state possible. Probably not Alaska though.

Even if the pT doesn't last til then, I really want to do this.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Im in, but that sounds like a nightmare to set up. Getting a ride home sounds tough too, is the next goon supposed to drive you back and so on?

Maybe plot it by airports? That way you can just order a one way ticket and it shouldn't cost too much. 300-400 miles should be around $100 maybe?

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 8, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

Im in, but that sounds like a nightmare to set up. Getting a ride home sounds tough too, is the next goon supposed to drive you back and so on?

Maybe plot it by airports? That way you can just order a one way ticket and it shouldn't cost too much. 300-400 miles should be around $100 maybe?

gently caress that, bus tickets man!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Someone should carefully alter that to "REVENUE CAMERA".

My buddy got his very orange 240Z into the shop. Helped him empty it, there was so much poo poo.

Also:

• Three jacks (one original widowmaker, two bottle)
  • Four lovely philips screwdrivers
  • A complete imperial socket set. Cool I guess?
  • A copy of a $3500 dental bill for the PO, totalling over a dozen extractions (WTF?)
  • 10 new in box red bulbs.
  • Two SU carburators.
  • A spare valve cover...
  • $1.58 in change, mostly pennies.
  • Two huge RPM gauges.
  • A windowed AC compressor.
  • A receipt from autozone from 2013.
  • A Sonic straw sleeve.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am getting the itch to buy a new lens for my camera to tinker with. It is a crop sensor Canon. I have a 50mm/f1.8 which gets a lot of action now. I am considering a pancake lens, the 24mm looks fun and cheap. I am wanting to mainly do portraiture and take pics of cars. Should I go that path? I am not ready to hurl $700+ on lenses until I master my crop sensor camera and equipment. I will one day like to go bonkers with L glass and a full frame camera. I just am not there yet.

I love a super wide, personally I hardly ever use my 24mm. Its nice enough but its a meh focal length and meh aperture for crop in my opinion. Personally I'd look into one of the ~17-50 f/2.8 lenses. Most are reasonable sharpness and contrast at a reasonable price. Way more flexible too. For reference i'm shooting a 7D, and have a sigma 8-18, tamron 17-50 2.8, canon 24mm 2.8, canon 50mm 1.8, and canon 70-200L 2.8 IS.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bolind posted:

Someone should carefully alter that to "REVENUE CAMERA".
Sometimes referred to as "scamera".

Contraction of "safety camera", clearly...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am getting the itch to buy a new lens for my camera to tinker with. It is a crop sensor Canon. I have a 50mm/f1.8 which gets a lot of action now. I am considering a pancake lens, the 24mm looks fun and cheap. I am wanting to mainly do portraiture and take pics of cars. Should I go that path? I am not ready to hurl $700+ on lenses until I master my crop sensor camera and equipment. I will one day like to go bonkers with L glass and a full frame camera. I just am not there yet.

For portraits, you will generally want to go with a longer lens. I hear low 100s of mm focal length tossed around.

Also, buy a Pentax ME Super instead :haw:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does anyone own project cars? I saw that it was on sale on steam so I thought about picking it up.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh, I'm having a poo poo time finding cheap truck to tow with. I live in a pretty rural area so I thought it would be easy. I was hoping I could find something that needed a little work for $3k, but it seems it's all $6k 2000-2002s, and $1500 pieces of crap with questionable registrations and not much in between.
Don't know if I should break my current-registration-and-smogged-only rule, consider a SUV or break down and finance something.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Looks like my Crown Vic will be needing pads and at least front rotors soon. What was the Goon collective preferred configuration for daily driver brakes? I seem to recall Centric rotors and ceramic pads of some sort. Is there really any difference, particularly with rotors? Even the plain-jane poo poo at O'reillys is almost $50 per rotor. Ditto for the "Brake Best" ceramic pads. I might as well get the Power Stop Daily Driver kit from Rock or Amazon (probably Amazon because $LOL shipping @ Rock Auto.)
I'm not going to be racing the thing. I just need it to stop confidently, and preferably without making GBS threads up my fancy wheels.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Its gonna be a long and sleepless night for a lot of us in the UK!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

Looks like my Crown Vic will be needing pads and at least front rotors soon. What was the Goon collective preferred configuration for daily driver brakes? I seem to recall Centric rotors and ceramic pads of some sort. Is there really any difference, particularly with rotors? Even the plain-jane poo poo at O'reillys is almost $50 per rotor. Ditto for the "Brake Best" ceramic pads. I might as well get the Power Stop Daily Driver kit from Rock or Amazon (probably Amazon because $LOL shipping @ Rock Auto.)
I'm not going to be racing the thing. I just need it to stop confidently, and preferably without making GBS threads up my fancy wheels.

I did DD-grade centric rotor/pad kits with ceramic pads (Posi-Quiet iirc) from RockAuto and it was cheaper than Amazon with Prime. I don't see the kits anymore though. So far so good. Haven't run into anything and they're quiet and not dusty.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Its gonna be a long and sleepless night for a lot of us in the UK!
Can't do much about it now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Considering May called this election under the impression it was going to be a landslide, if it isn't then that bitch needs to gently caress off.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Considering May called this election under the impression it was going to be a landslide, if it isn't then that bitch needs to gently caress off.

After that exit poll I'm opting for a beer over going to bed.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

After that exit poll I'm opting for a beer over going to bed.

Last time I went to sleep at a political time, it was safe in the knowledge that Trump would lose by a huge margin.

Before that, I was trying to guess just large a margin Brexit would be defeated.

Not going to risk that again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That won't change the result, just how tired you are.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

That won't change the result, just how tired you are.

For the sake of the British public, I am not prepared to risk it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

For portraits, you will generally want to go with a longer lens. I hear low 100s of mm focal length tossed around.

Also, buy a Pentax ME Super instead :haw:

I used to own a 135 2.8L, by far the best portrait lens I have ever used and I regret selling it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

monsterzero posted:

Ugh, I'm having a poo poo time finding cheap truck to tow with. I live in a pretty rural area so I thought it would be easy. I was hoping I could find something that needed a little work for $3k, but it seems it's all $6k 2000-2002s, and $1500 pieces of crap with questionable registrations and not much in between.
Don't know if I should break my current-registration-and-smogged-only rule, consider a SUV or break down and finance something.

I'm not sure where you are, but full size SUVs are usually cheaper. If you really want capacity and don't have a need for a gooseneck a 2500 series suburban is a good one.

E: also those $6k ones probably need as much work as the $1500 one, the owners just won't admit it. This is one purchase where strong haggling skills are needed. I have had better luck getting deals at new car dealers on used trucks than through private party sales. This is because the dealer didn't pay poo poo for trade in on it and they need to make a sales goal for the month or whatever. Not that this applies as much on a $5k truck as it does a $25k truck, just saying.

rdb fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 9, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Chevy van is your cheapest tow vehicle. G30 or G3500 or G20 in a pinch. Fprd also has good towing vans of that age.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

rdb posted:

SUVs...
Totally, there are tons of cheap Expeditions, Tahoes and NaviLades around. I want the utility of a bed though.

Good point on the dealers. Maybe I'll hit up some tomorrow, maybe they got something interesting on trade.

Elephanthead posted:

Chevy van is your cheapest tow vehicle. G30 or G3500 or G20 in a pinch. Fprd also has good towing vans of that age.

I rocked an E150 for about a year. Not sure I want to go back to that. Even writing 'free puppies' on the side did nothing to reduce the suspicious looks I got while driving around.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Darchangel posted:

The brakebest rotors are one of the tiers of raybestos rotors, whichever ones mimic the OE rotor material exactly along with vane construction, etc. The pads I've gotten varying answers, but all responses were bosch, centrix or wagner and I have seen a few very old wagner boxes rebranded brakebest. Fwiw, outside of an insanely finicky customer or two, I don't get complaints about gold box ceramic pads we sell.

Now what I'm disappointed to hear is that they didn't try to sell you the fancy carbon metallic PFC pads since its a cop car. They come in a hilariously overbuilt box lined with foam padding thats worth bringing out just for the reaction to it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My tweaker friend who went to the ER about the parasites we both share identical symptoms for just got his results in. Positive diagnosis for an incredibly rare flesh burrowing flat worm from Asia. Total number of cases in the USA per year: 3~5. His lawyer is talking multiple millions in settlements as there has been permanent, irreversible damage done to his body that will leave him in crippling pain the rest of his life, he my randomly go blind if one burrows through his optic nerve, and has a cat scan scheduled for tomorrow to assess brain surgery and treatment options.

In short, each and every last one of you can eat a massive, worm loaded pile of dicks

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
So you're getting a Bi-Turbo with the settlement money yes?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

DICK DICER posted:

My tweaker friend who went to the ER about the parasites we both share identical symptoms for just got his results in. Positive diagnosis for an incredibly rare flesh burrowing flat worm from Asia. Total number of cases in the USA per year: 3~5. His lawyer is talking multiple millions in settlements as there has been permanent, irreversible damage done to his body that will leave him in crippling pain the rest of his life, he my randomly go blind if one burrows through his optic nerve, and has a cat scan scheduled for tomorrow to assess brain surgery and treatment options.

In short, each and every last one of you can eat a massive, worm loaded pile of dicks

Settlements from whom? Do you have a way to be tested for this? Do you have a lawyer? Man I am on your side and always have been but a bit premature to tell us all f u. Please update us or me on what you find out. FB or text whatever. Also man Dave a lot of us sent you funds f.u. each and every last one of you a bit harsh man. I understand you are in a bad place. Best wishes.

everdave fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 9, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

DICK DICER posted:

So you should have no problem proving yourself

A official court reference to the lawsuit will do.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

"everdave" posted:

Also man Dave a lot of us sent you funds f.u. each and every last one of you a bit harsh man. I understand you are in a bad place. Best wishes.

You have no loving idea what two years of excruciating pain coupled with loving flesh boring worms even inside your eyes, and being totally unable to convince even one person they exist and its not all in your head.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

monsterzero posted:

I rocked an E150 for about a year. Not sure I want to go back to that. Even writing 'free puppies' on the side did nothing to reduce the suspicious looks I got while driving around.

• Locked thread