Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What's a good free ebook / epub reader program for a tablet?

Currently I'm using a program literally called "epub reader". Every few days it will just hang up and stop turning pages until I turn my tablet on and off. So pretty much anything that can read Cyrillic and doesn't look like utter poo poo would be an improvement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
If it's an Android tablet, someone in the Android Tablet thread might have have a suggestion.

I'm pretty sure Google Play Books support Cyrillic and you can upload up to 1000 epub or pdf files, you can then use with the app, just like Google Play Music.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

As far as Android apps go, I can recommand both FB Reader and Moon Reader.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

EbookDroid is basic in style, advanced in features and free.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

u fink u hard Percy posted:

EbookDroid is basic in style, advanced in features and free.
Except it doesn't support epub files.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think I used one called Aldiko or something close to that way back in the day. Handled pretty much everything I threw at it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Xander77 posted:

What's a good free ebook / epub reader program for a tablet?

Currently I'm using a program literally called "epub reader". Every few days it will just hang up and stop turning pages until I turn my tablet on and off. So pretty much anything that can read Cyrillic and doesn't look like utter poo poo would be an improvement?

I like Moon+ Reader or FBReader (FB is faster, which might matter; Moon+ has a better interface) but crucially, Calibre Companion to manage your books. I want an Android ereader specifically for Calibre Companion, it's that good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Xander77 posted:

lol, an ebook reader that doesn't support epub? what?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Xander77 posted:

It does :confused:

quote:

EBookDroid supports the following ebook and document formats: DjVU, PDF, XPS (OpenXPS), FictionBook (fb2 and fb2.zip), Comics Book formats (cbr and cbz), plus - starting with version 2 - EPUB, RTF, MOBI and AWZ3.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I love my kindle and Amazon sucks at updating them so much.

Like I've bought about 5 or 6 since the first version, a Voyage(didn't like it), and the new paperwhite because I love it, but Amazon doesn't give a gently caress about decent yearly upgrades because ????

All I want is faster speed and physical side buttons, but Amazon is intent in loving around with dumb ideas because I guess they want to be Apple.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I love my kindle and Amazon sucks at updating them so much.

Like I've bought about 5 or 6 since the first version, a Voyage(didn't like it), and the new paperwhite because I love it, but Amazon doesn't give a gently caress about decent yearly upgrades because ????

All I want is faster speed and physical side buttons, but Amazon is intent in loving around with dumb ideas because I guess they want to be Apple.

The Voyage is the "physical" button device. Faster screens require the e-ink manufacturer to develop another revision so Amazon can use it - this tends to be 3-4 years between serious screen tech updates.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

fishmech posted:

The Voyage is the "physical" button device. Faster screens require the e-ink manufacturer to develop another revision so Amazon can use it - this tends to be 3-4 years between serious screen tech updates.

Actually I think it's the Oasis? (Which I didn't buy because I'd just bought the Voyage).

The voyage has the worst "haptic" buttons which are so bad they inspired me to buy a new paperwhite and I don't regret it one bit. Also the button placement on the back of the voyage is so uncomfortable and I kept pushing it accidentally(I used my Voyage without a cover).

The voyage suiuuuuuux

So when do you think the next revision will be for faster screens?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Actually I think it's the Oasis? (Which I didn't buy because I'd just bought the Voyage).

The voyage has the worst "haptic" buttons which are so bad they inspired me to buy a new paperwhite and I don't regret it one bit. Also the button placement on the back of the voyage is so uncomfortable and I kept pushing it accidentally(I used my Voyage without a cover).

The voyage suiuuuuuux

So when do you think the next revision will be for faster screens?

The Voyage was the first device with the current state of the art screen and it launched late 2014. So maybe late this year or next.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Counterpoint, I love my voyage and find the haptic buttons near perfect and have never mistakenly hit the back off button.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I miss the Kindle 3. Full keyboard was ultra nice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Counterpoint, I love my voyage and find the haptic buttons near perfect and have never mistakenly hit the back off button.

Same. It's great

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I, too, love my Voyage. Flush screen so crumbs don't get stuck; buttons to keep the grease off the words. Prop it up in its case/stand hybrid and the off button means nothing. The haptic buttons work nicely.

(I read mostly on my lunch break.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

whomupclicklike posted:

I miss the Kindle 3. Full keyboard was ultra nice.

I'm still using mine. In fact, I have two, because when the first one broke it was cheaper to replace than fix, and once the price of replacement screens came down I bought one.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Tiggum posted:

I'm still using mine. In fact, I have two, because when the first one broke it was cheaper to replace than fix, and once the price of replacement screens came down I bought one.

As am I. The battery is a bit poo poo now, but it's gonna take one hell of an update and a sweet price point to make me give it up. It's strapped into the official case and is a joy to read.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I still have my Kindle 3 around, but the screen is broken and I can't really be bothered to spend the money on fixing that. I've also totally been spoiled by the higher resolution screens on the first Paperwhite (which is now my fiancee's Kindle) and my Voyage, as well as both of those devices having the sidelighting of the screen. I have the official lighted case for my Kindle 3 but it's just not as nice.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I would go back to the 3 but I've already got a Paperwhite

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Doesn't everyone just upload epubs to google books and use that anyway?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Doesn't everyone just upload epubs to google books and use that anyway?

No?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

It's worth a try!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

It's worth a try!

I just hate having stuff spread across Amazon and Google Play and a handful on Nook (in two different formats!), so decided I liked Google Play the best and do the convert and upload route for everything, regardless of where I buy it.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009
Is there an e-ink device that works with Google Play? Especially the sync functionality?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I rip all my ebooks into Calibre and use Dropbox with Calibre Companion on my tablets/phones.

I'm much more satisfied with the features and organization I get that way than I ever was with Google Play.

edit: ^ There's a few that I've been eyeing for a long time, I just haven't really felt a strong need to go back to eink. Just google for them.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Invisble Manuel posted:

Is there an e-ink device that works with Google Play? Especially the sync functionality?

The Onyx Boox series is the best of them that I'm aware of.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-kYQ61A-s4

No, sir, I don't like it.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN
I've had a Paperwhite 1 for a few years now, no complaints until very recently. It has a magnet to autowake when I open the cover, but for some reason it now displays a lock screen advertising the Amazon bookstore, and demands that I swipe to unlock. It used to just unlock when I open the lid and go back to whatever I was doing before.

I can't find anything relevant in the settings to address this. I don't think this happened immediately after the last time I connected to my laptop to sync, but I do have wireless on -- in hindsight, I have no idea why I was wasting my battery life on that. Could it have automatically updated to this great new feature via wireless somehow?

Any insight would be appreciated, the extra swipe really irks me. I didn't buy a version with ads (I hear that's a thing) and like I said, this lock screen didn't used to be there at all.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

immolationsex posted:

I've had a Paperwhite 1 for a few years now, no complaints until very recently. It has a magnet to autowake when I open the cover, but for some reason it now displays a lock screen advertising the Amazon bookstore, and demands that I swipe to unlock. It used to just unlock when I open the lid and go back to whatever I was doing before.

I can't find anything relevant in the settings to address this. I don't think this happened immediately after the last time I connected to my laptop to sync, but I do have wireless on -- in hindsight, I have no idea why I was wasting my battery life on that. Could it have automatically updated to this great new feature via wireless somehow?

Any insight would be appreciated, the extra swipe really irks me. I didn't buy a version with ads (I hear that's a thing) and like I said, this lock screen didn't used to be there at all.

Contact Amazon support, that's part of the "special offers" Kindles.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Not gonna lie, I've been wanting a dual-page ereader for a while now.

Now I just need it in color for comics and I'm all set to go.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The industry needs a massive kick up the rear end to get color e-ink commercialized. The technology has been stagnant for ages.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Vegetable posted:

The industry needs a massive kick up the rear end to get color e-ink commercialized. The technology has been stagnant for ages.

We should nationalize e-ink

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vegetable posted:

I just don't know what the market motivator would be as I can't imagine the sales of full color material (outside of graphic novels) is that big of a market to chase. The format is also usually larger which means a bigger device, which means higher cost, limiting the market more. Most people would rather have a multifunction full tablet instead even if the display is emissive.

It would be nice to have the option, but I think we're going to be stuck at 3 color displays for now as they are really all that's needed for signage.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'd settle for a more responsive display. Latency for entering pass code etc. is shite.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looks like all of the Amazon readers are on varying sales today. lol @ the Oasis still being $300 though.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I will never pay above 80 dollars for a Kindle

smr
Dec 18, 2002

whomupclicklike posted:

I will never pay above 80 dollars for a Kindle

Fair, but man do I ever love my Oasis. Fits in the back pocket of jeans, has real buttons. loving LOVE the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Do any of the recent model Kindles have enough improvements over my old B&N Nook HD to justify a purchase?